PDA

View Full Version : OT New MacPro?

Germany_chris
03-21-2012, 12:14 PM
I know there are a few content creators here on the forums so I'll ask the question here..

What do ya think..buy a new MacPro when they come out or build an IVB HackPro with the new quad or hex core CPU's.

The Hackpro will be cheaper but require more work, the MacPro will have mre value and be made with "better" parts..

I'm not a MacPro buyer in the true sense I'm an xMac buyer, expandability needed with out the workstation class parts requirement..

either computer will do what I want triple boot OSX/Fedora/Win 7 pro be fast and expandable.

oldguy00
03-21-2012, 12:20 PM

Ken Robb
03-21-2012, 01:20 PM
HUH? Way over my pay grade to quote our president. :)

PQJ
03-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Seems pretty simple, Chris. If you can afford the Mac, it's the better option; if $$ is tight, the MHack should do you just fine.

DISCLAIMER: I am neither techno-phobe nor techno-geek.

Germany_chris
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Seems pretty simple, Chris. If you can afford the Mac, it's the better option; if $$ is tight, the MHack should do you just fine.

DISCLAIMER: I am neither techno-phobe nor techno-geek.

I would sell stuff to include some bike stuff for the Mac..

I have a case PS and MoBo for the Hack..

Building would be fun..

benb
03-21-2012, 01:56 PM
If you are going to consider a Hackintosh you might as well consider a PC running Windows or Linux.

The Hackintosh is pretty high effort on the "hacking" scale, it erases the Mac "ease of use" advantage.

I have an older Mac Pro.. I am migrating to PC. There is next to no reason to actually buy a Mac Pro unless you have some very specific Mac software requirements that can't be met in a less cost effective way. I had >$1000 worth of Mac software, but you can "cross upgrade" a lot of it, e.x. Adobe software.

Rumor is there might not be a new Mac Pro.. they are so overbuilt and overly expensive that they don't sell in high enough volume for Apple to remain committed to them. The iMac has also gotten fast enough that it can take up the slack.

I have personally already tried the Apple "appliance PC with tons of external drives" thing before and I have a bunch of nice monitors so I didn't want to go with an iMac... I'm perfectly happy using a PC instead now. For me I'd rather have a tower and put my stuff inside it. If they made a more reasonably priced version of the Mac Pro that did not use Xeons maybe I'd have gotten one of those, but I doubt they ever will do that.

Germany_chris
03-21-2012, 02:09 PM
If you are going to consider a Hackintosh you might as well consider a PC running Windows or Linux.

The Hackintosh is pretty high effort on the "hacking" scale, it erases the Mac "ease of use" advantage.

I have an older Mac Pro.. I am migrating to PC. There is next to no reason to actually buy a Mac Pro unless you have some very specific Mac software requirements that can't be met in a less cost effective way. I had >$1000 worth of Mac software, but you can "cross upgrade" a lot of it, e.x. Adobe software.

Rumor is there might not be a new Mac Pro.. they are so overbuilt and overly expensive that they don't sell in high enough volume for Apple to remain committed to them. The iMac has also gotten fast enough that it can take up the slack.

I have personally already tried the Apple "appliance PC with tons of external drives" thing before and I have a bunch of nice monitors so I didn't want to go with an iMac... I'm perfectly happy using a PC instead now. For me I'd rather have a tower and put my stuff inside it. If they made a more reasonably priced version of the Mac Pro that did not use Xeons maybe I'd have gotten one of those, but I doubt they ever will do that.

The Hack would be "fun" and thats the problem.. :o

The MacPro will give me a decade of service and be boring, kinda like the Serotta it works well I don't need a new bike there are no bikes out there that call to me but it's the same old Legend.

I have zero desire to live everyday in a windows environment, the linux environment is OK but I just like OSX and live in the OSX ecosystem.

I really just dunno, maybe I'll build a cheap hack and see if I like it.

I don't believe the no MP rumors..E5 Xeons just started shipping and they're still not shipping in quantity..

PQJ
03-21-2012, 02:14 PM
I understand the "fun" component but I think you should ask yourself this: will it still be "fun" when the thing breaks down in a couple years time and you lament not getting the machine that would've worked better for longer?

neiltron
03-21-2012, 02:27 PM
I built a hackintosh PC a few years ago and it worked fine. Research your parts for compatibility before you build it and don't try to overclock if you want a stable computer.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to run Lion on a hackintosh though.

Find some hackintosh forums, hang out there and decide if it's worth the hassle to you.

benb
03-21-2012, 02:55 PM
If you've got vast money to burn go nuts.. but if the computer is a tool realize you're burning up vast quantities of money and not getting anything out of it...

You're really not getting much more for $4000 with a Mac Pro beyond what you're getting with a $1000 tower PC that is carefully built.

Really really hard for me to justify when I know I would get way more enjoyment out of throwing that $3000 at bicycle stuff, camera gear, whatever...

If your reasoning is just "I have to have a Mac because I'm a Mac guy" then the other models make a ton more sense then the Mac Pro.

If your reasoning is "I need internal hardware RAID & eSATA and I need to run 2x2GB Video cards and I need 64GB of RAM and 6 monitors to run this crazy software package that is only available for OSX I already spent $10,000 on" then the Mac Pro makes sense.

Germany_chris
03-21-2012, 03:31 PM
If you've got vast money to burn go nuts.. but if the computer is a tool realize you're burning up vast quantities of money and not getting anything out of it...

You're really not getting much more for $4000 with a Mac Pro beyond what you're getting with a $1000 tower PC that is carefully built.

Really really hard for me to justify when I know I would get way more enjoyment out of throwing that $3000 at bicycle stuff, camera gear, whatever...

If your reasoning is just "I have to have a Mac because I'm a Mac guy" then the other models make a ton more sense then the Mac Pro.

If your reasoning is "I need internal hardware RAID & eSATA and I need to run 2x2GB Video cards and I need 64GB of RAM and 6 monitors to run this crazy software package that is only available for OSX I already spent $10,000 on" then the Mac Pro makes sense.

That is part of it..

I don't need a mac because I'm a mac guy, I have a MBP, MB, PB G4, PowerMac G5, and MacPro 3,1.. :eek:

I want to replace the last two with one.. :beer:

benb
03-21-2012, 03:36 PM
What is your software use case where a Mac Pro 3,1 is not good enough and the new one will supposedly make things work for you?

I'd be hard pressed to think there is anything out there...

Seriously go buy a bike!

CaliFly
03-21-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm running a HackPro with Lion that took 1 hour of reading, 1 hour of buying parts, 1 hour of assembly and less than an hour of OS installation. If you do your due diligence, you can has a HackPro in less than half a day...and have a great time in the process. Any problems would take the same amount of time regardless of build or OS.

HenryA
03-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Its really easy to just buy a 27" iMac and be done with it. Unless you are running some pretty specialized software or incredibly huge files there is not much to gain by jacking around with building a hackintosh or even buying a MacPro. I'm a bit surprised they still make them other than they are kinda locked in to supporting the flagship users who actually need the capacity.

Now that all depends on whether you have work to do with the new machine or you are a computer nerd who wants a new and different toy. I've been using them for long enough that the LAST THING I want is to have to &%& with a %^&E$ computer other than to make it do what I want with the least effort and NO DRAMA.

They ain't nothin' but tools.

neiltron
03-21-2012, 06:26 PM
You could also look into an SSD upgrade for your existing Mac Pro. That will wake it up like hot oil on a sleeping cat.

Germany_chris
03-22-2012, 05:45 AM
Its really easy to just buy a 27" iMac and be done with it. Unless you are running some pretty specialized software or incredibly huge files there is not much to gain by jacking around with building a hackintosh or even buying a MacPro. I'm a bit surprised they still make them other than they are kinda locked in to supporting the flagship users who actually need the capacity.

Now that all depends on whether you have work to do with the new machine or you are a computer nerd who wants a new and different toy. I've been using them for long enough that the LAST THING I want is to have to &%& with a %^&E$ computer other than to make it do what I want with the least effort and NO DRAMA.

They ain't nothin' but tools.

I have 2 24" monitors on a nice desk mounted VESA Mount the I'm rather fond of so iMacs while having a beautiful display lose on the expansion part and I just don't need another display.

I'm a nerd who wants a different toy..

Germany_chris
03-22-2012, 05:47 AM
You could also look into an SSD upgrade for your existing Mac Pro. That will wake it up like hot oil on a sleeping cat.

All my computers have SSD's in them even the G5..I love SSD..

I'm going to sell the MP and keep the PM G5 for the time being and do a little more playing with it..

When the IVB hex core i7's come out I'll get back on tony mac and see if they're behaving until then I'll keep my PPC alive and functioning..