PDA

View Full Version : OT Tebow to the Jets

firerescuefin
03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Looks like the NFL world is blowing up in the last 15 minutes.

I am NOT HAPPY. Can't see my kids rocking JETS jerseys....yet.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7718133/new-york-jets-acquire-tim-tebow-4th-round-pick-source-says

Elefantino
03-21-2012, 11:22 AM
World, have your say (http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/2012-03-21/story/tim-tebow-traded-new-york-jets).

old_fat_and_slow
03-21-2012, 11:31 AM

firerescuefin
03-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Buy yer kids some Peyton jerseys, and tell 'em to be happy they got that.

Has nothing to do with Peyton. Picking up Manning was a nobrainer..Tebow for a 4th round pick is a joke...and the Jets is not a good situation for Sanchez, Tebow, or the Jets....

Elefantino
03-21-2012, 11:42 AM
Woman's Tebow Broncos jersey, for sale.

Cheap.

firerescuefin
03-21-2012, 11:45 AM
Woman's Tebow Broncos jersey, for sale.

Cheap.

....and to think I wished you happy birthday :confused:

;)

Nooch
03-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Te Te Te Tebow and the Jets

Mike Francessa here on the Fan just blasted the Jets (and I'm sure is continuing to, but I had to come in from lunch) for this decision that is, as we all know, purely about marketing and putting asses into seats. The Jets can't stand being ignored, and now sharing the stadium with the defending Super Bowl champs (let's go Giants!!!), they needed *something* -- but this was not it.

This will kill Sanchez as a player..

CNY rider
03-21-2012, 11:47 AM
.Tebow for a 4th round pick is a joke.......

What do you think he's worth?

old_fat_and_slow
03-21-2012, 11:52 AM

tele
03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
[i]

Dont think dirty Sanchez needed help :o

Aaron O
03-21-2012, 11:53 AM
This might actually be a brilliant move...Tim Tebow is one of the few players who could inspire confidence in Sanchez by comparison. It might also boost Sanchez in terms of..."well, at least I throw better than THAT!"

torquer
03-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Maybe the Jets can bring Broadway Joe Namath back to advise Tim on how to really be a playa.
http://static.sportressofblogitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/namath-farrah.jpg

firerescuefin
03-21-2012, 11:54 AM
What do you think he's worth?

I think he is worth more to the Broncos than the 115th player in the draft....maybe a late 2 or early 3. My point is that he makes the Broncos (of which I am a fan) better than the guy they're going to get for him. I am a Florida Grad and have been a Tebow fan since he played his first game in G'ville. I am not the myopic Tebow fan who thinks he's the next coming of (enter you HOF QB here)....I was stoked when they picked up Peyton, but he hasn't played in a year and is potentially a hit away from retirement. Tebow could have learned a lot under Manning and could have been a serviceable backup and great role player in the meantime.

slowgoing
03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
Broncos received a 4th and 6th round pick, gave up 7th round pick in addition to Tebow.

Certainly demonstrates that Elway was eager to trade him.

Elway is a lucky fellow. Manning is not that bad of a backup prize after losing any chance for Andrew Luck, which some reporters say is what Elway really wanted.

firerescuefin
03-21-2012, 11:57 AM
The haters are coming...I've seen that Aaron's joined the thread.

wooly
03-21-2012, 11:59 AM
I feel another "Rapha-like" 10 page thread! :banana:

FlashUNC
03-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Problem with Tebow as a backup QB is you need to run an entirely different offense than your first string QB.

I think the Jets just picked up a backup for Shonn Green more than anything.

Chance
03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Problem with Tebow as a backup QB is you need to run an entirely different offense than your first string QB.

Maybe it's to bring some stability to the club, which they need badly.

firerescuefin
03-21-2012, 12:05 PM

Not necessarily. 2 HCs and 2 OCs in 2 years...and had no offseason last year after playing in a glorified High School offense at UF. He threw the ball better at UF than he threw it last year. I thought there was quite a bit of "paralysis by analysis" going on. He was having a good offseason and was working hard on improving his throwing accuracy....such is life.

slowgoing
03-21-2012, 12:06 PM
The haters are coming...I've seen that Aaron's joined the thread.

Completely unnecessary

veloduffer
03-21-2012, 12:08 PM

The Jets used to run the Wildcat offense occasionally to change the look, but didn't last year after they lost their key player (I forget his name) to free agency. So Tebow does make sense as a backup, which is what it cost the Jets in terms a draft pick.

firerescuefin
03-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Completely unnecessary

As was your reply...I like Aaron and we love to jab at each other...lighten up

Oh I see you're glad you "don't get it"...carry on.

Chance
03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
I didn't say it had anything to do with Peyton.

Although you didn't say it, it has everything to do with Peyton. Tebow was too popular with a segment of the Bronco fans to have both there. The first time Peyton struggles or loses a game too many would start asking for Tebow to replace him. And that just can't be allowed to happen.

Personally doubt Peyton will be the second coming Denver expects or needs. He's old, injured, hasn't played, and under pressure in big games hasn't performed to the level he does the rest of the year. It's hard to believe he can win a SB with Denver in the few years he has left, at best.

slowgoing
03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Oh I see you're glad you "don't get it"...carry on.

quite the ego you have there fella
I couldn't tell that you were kidding about Aaron in your hater post and you find the need to attack me?
Your comment says more about you than it does about me

katematt
03-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Dont think dirty Sanchez needed help :o

Lets try and keep this dialogue G rated -

vqdriver
03-21-2012, 12:18 PM
just curious, what did jacksonville put on the table? were they ever serious about a trade?

jmoore
03-21-2012, 12:26 PM
The Jets used to run the Wildcat offense occasionally to change the look, but didn't last year after they lost their key player (I forget his name) to free agency.

Quincy Carter? :D

tiretrax
03-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Although you didn't say it, it has everything to do with Peyton. Tebow was too popular with a segment of the Bronco fans to have both there. The first time Peyton struggles or loses a game too many would start asking for Tebow to replace him. And that just can't be allowed to happen.

Personally doubt Peyton will be the second coming Denver expects or needs. He's old, injured, hasn't played, and under pressure in big games hasn't performed to the level he does the rest of the year. It's hard to believe he can win a SB with Denver in the few years he has left, at best.

Peyton will be the second coming of Craig Morton.

verticaldoug
03-21-2012, 12:46 PM
As a life long Vikings fan, Favre almost pulled off the whole magical season. In any event, it was fun. Maybe Peyton can pull off a magical season with the Broncos. I find it hard to dislike either of the Mannings so I wish him luck.

As someone else already pointed out, Elway is just being smart by trading Tebow away so the fan base can't start the chant.

From the after season reports, the Jets are just an unhappy dysfunctional family. I really don't see the downside by adding someone like Tebow to the mix. Maybe he can help improve attitudes. But they probably need to get rid of a couple bad apples.

I like to think the Giants success all turned around after Tiki Barber retired. While Tiki was there, it was all about Tiki.

Chance
03-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Wish him well but think he's crazy to play with a plate holding his neck together. Doctors say he's OK but they are not the ones taking the risk.

Besides, the odds of older guys in any sport making a successful comeback are fairly low. It occassionally happens but for the most part they end up coming back and performing much below their old standard.

veloduffer
03-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Quincy Carter? :D

It was Brad Smith that ran the Wildcat for the Jets, as well played as a receiver and kick return. He went to the Bills via free agency. That was a key loss for NYJ, especially since Sanchez hasn't blossomed/matured yet into a top notch QB.

So I think Tebow fills that role and the trade makes some sense to me.

G-Reg
03-21-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm surprised they traded him and I think it reflects badly on Elway.

TT will be a great addition to the Jets. He will get along great with the Coach Ryan and will out work EVERYONE on the team.

Everyone there will be elevated by his presence.

Cromartie will be singing his praises after Tebow puts him on his ass a few times as a lead blocker out of the wildcat.

torquer
03-21-2012, 01:00 PM
The Jets used to run the Wildcat offense occasionally to change the look, but didn't last year after they lost their key player (I forget his name) to free agency. So Tebow does make sense as a backup, which is what it cost the Jets in terms a draft pick.
Brad Smith.
We all forgot his name, since he seems to have disappeared after going to Buffalo.

rugbysecondrow
03-21-2012, 01:03 PM
It was Brad Smith that ran the Wildcat for the Jets, as well played as a receiver and kick return. He went to the Bills via free agency. That was a key loss for NYJ, especially since Sanchez hasn't blossomed/matured yet into a top notch QB.

So I think Tebow fills that role and the trade makes some sense to me.

DING DING DING DING, we have a winner.

Tebow might never be a big time QB, but he is a gamer and worth having on your team. Tell me what other back up QB will sell jerseys?

PQJ
03-21-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm surprised they traded him and I think it reflects badly on Elway.

Me too. Trading the next (possibly) big thing for a has been? Dat $hit makes no sense.

old_fat_and_slow
03-21-2012, 01:12 PM

Aaron O
03-21-2012, 01:18 PM
The pragmatists are coming...I've seen that Aaron's joined the thread.

FIFY :)

I suppose I am a hater...I hate bad football and undeserved hype. No wonder I watch less football each year!

Chance
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Did you even read my post ?

My post was commenting on buying kids jerseys.

I made no comments regarding the merits of acquiring Manning, nor anything regarding the trade of Tebow.

Stop trying to read too much "between the lines" of other people's posts, and start worrying a little more about comprehension of what is actually written.

Thanks
Disagree you are having a problem reading between the lines. Your reading comprehension isn't as bad as you think.

old_fat_and_slow
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM

leooooo
03-21-2012, 01:34 PM

This will kill Sanchez as a human being...

MarleyMon
03-21-2012, 01:36 PM
ESPN reports the trade "could be nullified" because of certain language in the contract.

akelman
03-21-2012, 01:40 PM
If somebody could start a thread with a picture of Tebow, wearing Rapha, riding a poorly fitting platic biked adorned with a mixed Campy/Shimano electronic group, and blowing through a stop sign while texting on an iPhone, I really think we could have a million-page thread. I guess it wouldn't hurt if, rather than texting, Tebow was posting something for sale in the classifieds here. ONLY IT TURNED OUT THAT HE HADN'T YET HIT THE MINIMUM POST THRESHOLD!

old_fat_and_slow
03-21-2012, 01:41 PM

Aaron O
03-21-2012, 01:58 PM
I think fin was referring to the "Tebow haters". Tebow is a very polarizing figure because of his religion "he wears on his sleeve". (Note: I am not passing judgement, just stating a fact.)

I know...it was a snarky response :)

SNL and late night TV would be less entertaining without Tebowie, so I'm glad that he landed somewhere!

Liv2RideHard
03-21-2012, 02:04 PM
ESPN reports the trade "could be nullified" because of certain language in the contract.

UPDATE: ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting there is a hang-up in the trade because of language in Tim Tebow's contract. Tim Tebow has $5 million worth of recapture language, meaning Jets would have to pay back money to Denver. If the trade falls apart, the St. Louis Rams may get back into the Tebow derby.

Not a done deal yet. Not a Jets fan...yet.

slowgoing
03-21-2012, 02:09 PM
I don't think trading Tebow reflects poorly on Elway. Elway was a pocket passer, as have been most well respected QBs, and he just wants another good pocket passer heading up his team. I think it's as simple as that.

rpm
03-21-2012, 02:12 PM
As a life long Vikings fan, Favre almost pulled off the whole magical season.

And now we know that he really was in the crosshairs of the Saints in that NFC championship game.

Another Minnesota angle: The Broncos have a promising young backup in former U of Minn quarterback Adam Weber. If he got some tutoring from Manning, he could be good.

Aaron O
03-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Wish him well but think he's crazy to play with a plate holding his neck together. Doctors say he's OK but they are not the ones taking the risk.

Besides, the odds of older guys in any sport making a successful comeback are fairly low. It occassionally happens but for the most part they end up coming back and performing much below their old standard.It reminds me of when joe Montana played for the chiefs after back surgery. They have nothing left to prove and everything to lose, but they keep going. I think it's that competitiveness and fanatical obsession that made them great to begin with. I'd quit and preserve my health, but that might be part of why I could never be a pro athlete.

These guys make blood money. Watch the HOF inductions...they can barely walk at 45.

Spin71
03-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Me too. Trading the next (possibly) big thing for a has been? Dat $hit makes no sense.

Calling Peyton a has been makes even less sense.

Bruce K
03-21-2012, 04:31 PM
You've all completely missed the point here.

This is the first time in NFL history a team has sacrificed a virgin to try and win the Super Bowl.

:eek: :beer: :D

BK

(disclaimer: Not really my line but I loved it when I heard it).

verticaldoug
03-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Cromartie's twitter post exemplifies everything that is wrong with the Jets.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/new-york-jets-antonio-cromartie-tim-tebow-trade-032112

Aaron O
03-21-2012, 04:57 PM
You've all completely missed the point here.

This is the first time in NFL history a team has sacrificed a virgin to try and win the Super Bowl.

:eek: :beer: :D

BK

(disclaimer: Not really my line but I loved it when I heard it).

Hardest I've laughed all day!

This was a rough one...bad day at work, an exam that ended up a bit harder than I expected...I needed that :D

rwsaunders
03-21-2012, 05:58 PM
I think it's that competitiveness and fanatical obsession that made them great to begin with.

I think it's the call of $96MM...

leooooo
03-21-2012, 07:21 PM
David Stern with another clutch veto :p

Elefantino
03-21-2012, 08:21 PM
WTT: used Women's Tebow Broncos jersey for ... ?

Let's hear what you've got. Something in Assos, Rapha or titanium (62x59) preferred.

daker13
03-21-2012, 08:35 PM
TT will be a great addition to the Jets. He will get along great with the Coach Ryan and will out work EVERYONE on the team.

Everyone there will be elevated by his presence.

Cromartie will be singing his praises after Tebow puts him on his ass a few times as a lead blocker out of the wildcat.

To me the chemistry seems really off, but it'll be an interesting season. I think Ryan really has to do something outside the box with Tebow to make it work.

Ralph
03-22-2012, 04:56 AM
My family is not a football watching family. But we like Tim Tebow. We're not church going folks either, so it's not about that. We think Denver made a mistake. But hey....guess we're Jet fans now....when we happen to watch a game.

Somehow I think the Tim Tebow thing is not really about football. It's difficult to explan his appeal to folks like us. New York is about to find this out themselves.

veloduffer
03-22-2012, 05:58 AM
In case you have not seen this, there was Te-Bowie before Timsanity:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/videos/2012/01/13/tim-tebow-and-david-bowie-become-tebowie.html :banana:

Wilkinson4
03-22-2012, 06:34 AM
As a Native Coloradoan and Bronco fan from way back I think it is great. The market spoke they got what each team thought he was worth, probably a bit more.

He never should have been a 1st rounder... That said, I really like Tebow. It was his rabid fan base that ruined it for me. I wish him nothing but the best.

That said, it's friggen Peyton Manning and since Elway wasn't sold on Tebow long term and Manning was available, he had to take a look.

Elway wants to win a super bowl and Manning gives them a better chance. It was a lot to do with Bowlen and his health.

mIKE

victoryfactory
03-22-2012, 06:37 AM
I'm no big fan of "Tebow mania" but he is who he is.
The Jets came closest to the Superbowl when they had an all purpose
guy (Brad Smith) coming off the bench for the wildcat stuff
Tebow can be that guy.
What everyone is reacting to is the hype. Let Tebow, Sanchez and the coaches
figure this thing out, It just may work, yo
I suspect that Tebow can be a real team guy and an asset assuming the
bru ha ha dies down.

VF
Jet Fan

Dekonick
03-22-2012, 08:26 AM
Should have kept Tebow for what little they got for him. Use him as a tight end, work on his throwing, make him part of special teams... groom him. I think Denver made a mistake. Manning is good, I will admit - but he is also damaged goods...

wooly
03-22-2012, 09:13 AM
In case you have not seen this, there was Te-Bowie before Timsanity:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/videos/2012/01/13/tim-tebow-and-david-bowie-become-tebowie.html :banana:

That was frickin' hilarious. I heart Jimmy Fallon.

Dave B
03-22-2012, 11:51 AM
I think Tebow to the Jets smells funny. I would not want to be Tebow going in, however, if he is able to have some success then for me I think it proves he really isn't a gimick. So what if he isn't typical, who gives a rat's.

He did well enough to win, made a huge impact on loads of people, especially kids and to me that has a huge value. He made praying cool. He has character and I applaud him for that.

Now on the jets, hmmmm. I think it will be a icy play to be, but hey best of luck to the guy. I hope the Jets implode and they finally fire Ryan.

Then again I love ther Pats. He would have done well for us and Coach B would have made him better...period!

tele
03-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Now on the jets, hmmmm. I think it will be a icy play to be, but hey best of luck to the guy. I hope the Jets implode and they finally fire Ryan.

Then again I love ther Pats. He would have done well for us and Coach B would have made him better...period!
Now that the Law Firm has moved on, we could use another back!

As for the Jets, are they thinking wildcat or to help the locker room? I really dont know what they are thinking!

bironi
03-22-2012, 01:31 PM
This is now old, but still a good laugh.

old_fat_and_slow
03-22-2012, 01:36 PM

Aaron O
03-22-2012, 01:56 PM
LMAO...that pretty much says it all.

If the Jets could trade for the Broncos defense they might have something.

bart998
03-22-2012, 02:54 PM
I think he is worth more to the Broncos than the 115th player in the draft....maybe a late 2 or early 3. My point is that he makes the Broncos (of which I am a fan) better than the guy they're going to get for him. I am a Florida Grad and have been a Tebow fan since he played his first game in G'ville. I am not the myopic Tebow fan who thinks he's the next coming of (enter you HOF QB here)....I was stoked when they picked up Peyton, but he hasn't played in a year and is potentially a hit away from retirement. Tebow could have learned a lot under Manning and could have been a serviceable backup and great role player in the meantime.

+1

old_fat_and_slow
03-22-2012, 03:23 PM

Spin71
03-22-2012, 06:26 PM
LMAO...that pretty much says it all.

If the Jets could trade for the Broncos defense they might have something.

The Jets D is better than the Broncos.

Aaron O
03-22-2012, 07:00 PM
I beg to differ...but I'm also hardly an expert on either team and generally care less about football each season.

jbrainin
03-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Probably not, without the bounties.

Spin71
03-22-2012, 08:40 PM
I guess the #5 ranked D in the NFL is worse than the 20th ranked. Go figure.

Spin71
03-22-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm also hardly an expert on either team

That's obvious.

Aaron O
03-23-2012, 05:17 AM
So is Ryan as awful a coach as his classless, incompetent, moronic father? He truly is from idiotic stock...Buddy Ryan managed to take one of the best defenses and win NONE...not one...playoff game with it. His defense also played better under competent defensive coaching (Bud Carson). Rex Ryan seems just as buffoonish so far.

I suppose we'll see how your defense looks on the field constantly and playing from behind with Tebow.

Spin71
03-23-2012, 05:56 AM
Buddy Ryan managed to take one of the best defenses and win NONE...not one...playoff game with it.

He also orchestrated the greatest defense of all time. Not sure what your Buddy Ryan rant has to do with your false statement on the Jets/Broncos defenses.

rugbysecondrow
03-23-2012, 06:17 AM
He also orchestrated the greatest defense of all time. Not sure what your Buddy Ryan rant has to do with your false statement on the Jets/Broncos defenses.

Seriously. The scheme (the 46) worked well but he also had players who would run through a brick wall for him. Maybe he wasn't the best head coach, but at the time you wouldn't find a better defensive coach. There is a reason the 85' Bears hoisted Ditka and the defensive players hoisted Ryan on the shoulders when they won Super Bowl 20.

I live in Baltimore now and Rex Ryan had defensive guys who loved him. He brough many of them with him to the Jets. He might come off as an unpolished buffoon, but I would not mistake that for bad coaching. There is a reason he has been to the playoffs 2 of the last three years with a questionable offense and a weak quarterback.

CoKeithRecord
03-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Press Conference: Did you notice how happy Elway was, spending Bowlen's money? Did you notice the sick look on Bowlen's face? Bowlen is taking the risk not Elway. One must wonder if the Peter Principle applies here - Elway was a good QB but what about his management skills?

firerescuefin
03-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Press Conference: Did you notice how happy Elway was, spending Bowlen's money? Did you notice the sick look on Bowlen's face? Bowlen is taking the risk not Elway. One must wonder if the Peter Principle applies here - Elway was a good QB but what about his management skills?

Bro..you're going to hit that 20 Post count in about 10 seconds.

old_fat_and_slow
03-23-2012, 04:02 PM

firerescuefin
03-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Aaron, I'm no fan of Buddy Ryan, but I'm not sure what you mean by the statement above. B. Ryan was a significant reason for the success of the '85 Bears that won the Super Bowl.

Buddy's Eagles teams (Reggie White era)