PDA

View Full Version : Glove Washing?

tlarwa
03-21-2012, 10:43 AM
I've never been one to wash my gloves ... in fact, the last time I did, they accidently got thrown in the dryer and became a size that "might" have fit my dog, if he had five fingers :crap:

Anyway, I was looking at the three pairs I rotate through, and they're all pretty skanky. Any best practices on how to wash them? Hand wash with regualr detergent, throw them in the wash machine, dishwasher, ? They are all lether palm/nylon back (Giro).

Tom

1centaur
03-21-2012, 10:44 AM
I hand wash and let them dry flat. Don't want them snagged in the machine and don't think they're designed for dryer heat.

eddief
03-21-2012, 10:47 AM
when they dry after each snot filled ride? if i ride more than 20 miles or so, mine usually get handwashed with the shorts, headband, and socks. takes 2 minutes to squish the gloves through a sinkfull of warm water with some soap. wring em out, hang em up, fresh as a daisy the next day.

AngryScientist
03-21-2012, 10:49 AM
i throw them in the wash with the rest of my cycling kit. my machine has a "hand wash" cycle, which is what i use - cold water. line dry.

rpm
03-21-2012, 10:56 AM
I use Pearl Izumi or Specialized and throw them into the warm knit/delicate cycle and dryer with the rest of my kit. No problems. Of course, I'm talking about gloves made with synthetic leather. I'd never do that with real leather.

Steve in SLO
03-21-2012, 11:12 AM
when they dry after each snot filled ride? if i ride more than 20 miles or so, mine usually get handwashed with the shorts, headband, and socks. takes 2 minutes to squish the gloves through a sinkfull of warm water with some soap. wring em out, hang em up, fresh as a daisy the next day.
I do this.
Beware of tossing gloves with velcro closures in the wash. I have had several episodes where the velcro strips have opened up and 'bit' my other lycra bits.

Fishbike
03-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Yes, I throw them in the wash all the time. DOn't dig dirty gloves. Sometimes I give the palms a squirt of Spray n Wash or whatever. Even the suede ones. No problems other than the velcro sticking to stuff so I fasten them beforehand.

Vientomas
03-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Wash with hot water and dry on low heat. No problems with Pearl Izumi synthetics.

old_fat_and_slow
03-21-2012, 11:34 AM

wallymann
03-21-2012, 11:50 AM
put everything in the laundry, gloves jerseys bibs caps -- it all goes in with appropriate colors. as a matter of course i dry EVERYTHING on low heat, so the change in size is minimal.

Waldo
03-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Wash your hands with gloves on, then hang them up (gloves, not hands) to dry.

pdmtong
03-21-2012, 03:43 PM
No idea why you WOULDN"T wash your gloves...they take on at least as much sweat as anything else. Nothing better than clean fresh kit to put a spring in your step and a snap in your pedal stroke.

Giro zeros (no velcro) get washed with everything else...cold water, front loader, line dry.

If you dont think they'll dry over night, get a second pair and rotate.

Rapha gloves (leather) get hand washed and line dry.

Gloves with velcro (Pearl Izumi, Giro long gloves) get zipped into a wash bag to avoid what previous poster mentioned.

gavingould
03-21-2012, 03:44 PM
i've washed Giro LX long finger gloves with my kit in the washing machine. hang dry.

thinpin
03-21-2012, 04:05 PM
One of the cardinal rules in the group. The filthy gloves do not go on the cafe table post ride!

jmoore
03-21-2012, 04:15 PM
If I don't wash gloves after every ride, I get a little irritated/infected spot on top of my knuckles. It itches to high holy. So everything goes into the washer and dryer after a ride. I have a little mesh bag I put the gloves in so the velcro doesn't snag anything. I think I got the bags 4-for-$1 at the Dollar Tree.

I see gloves the same as socks. I have lots of pairs and when they get ripped or worn out or whatever, I toss them out. I probably have 6-8 pairs of gloves in the rotation at any one time.

giverdada
03-21-2012, 05:43 PM
Wash your hands with gloves on, then hang them up (gloves, not hands) to dry.

this. "eco/green/bio-friendly" soaps are pretty good too, especially as they are phosphate free and don't tend to break fabrics down as much, or clog them up as much, as some more synthetic detergents. sunshine may bleach the colour out a bit more, but i also feel like it kills funk (the bad kind, not the good kind).

TMB
03-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Mne go in the washing machine.

Tony T
03-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Washer & Dryer with settings per the "Care Label" in the glove

cekte
03-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Hand washed, line dry.

neiltron
03-21-2012, 06:31 PM
To prevent velcro from sticking to other items in the machine wash - wrap them in towels (bath mat sized ones).

You can also wrap your shoes in towels this way to protect them from banging into your washer / off each other.

pdmtong
03-21-2012, 10:21 PM
To prevent velcro from sticking to other items in the machine wash - wrap them in towels (bath mat sized ones).

You can also wrap your shoes in towels this way to protect them from banging into your washer / off each other.

maybe this is obvious, so sorry for being a dolt but what keeps the towels from unraveling while they are being washed?

cat6
03-21-2012, 11:00 PM
did i read that here?

it was what someone recommended to remove the odor from gloves.

rnhood
03-22-2012, 03:46 AM
Just put them in the wash and odors will be removed, even on gentle cycles. In warmer weather I wash mine after about every ride due to perspiration. I like to start off with clean apparel. If I'm in a motel then I wash them in the sink by hand using the motel supplied shampoo. Works great also, and no odor.

benitosan1972
03-22-2012, 08:02 AM
You would wash your socks, why not gloves?
I'd inside-out them, close the Velcro, then wash.
Definitely hang dry.

crownjewelwl
03-22-2012, 08:24 AM
hand wash with Rapha soap and your gloves will smell like the flowers on Ventoux

tiretrax
03-22-2012, 08:49 AM
I fasten the velcro, turn them inside out, and put them in mesh bags. No problem with snagging other items. Line dry - fasten velcro over the clothesline.

For bad odors, put the item in the freezer for a few days - you can put it inside a plastic bag if you are grossed out by the thought of a non-food item in your freezer.

tlarwa
03-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Who says I wash my socks? ;)

You would wash your socks, why not gloves?
I'd inside-out them, close the Velcro, then wash.
Definitely hang dry.

toaster
03-22-2012, 10:07 AM
Two pages and no mention of mesh bags used to hold items in the washing machine? Or, did I miss it.

Anyway, get a zippered mesh bag and throw gloves in there. The velcro bits won't bother your other articles and the gloves get a little tangled but this is fine.

The mesh bag can even go in the dryer and pulled out so gloves can be separated after they're almost completely dry.

Oh, there's one post above mine that mentions mesh bags. :beer:

BumbleBeeDave
03-22-2012, 10:16 AM
. . . but make sure any velcro is fastened so it doesn't snag on other stuff. And as a further precaution, I don't put it in with any other cycling kit or lycra. I run them with the towels. Then line dry.

BBD

russ46
03-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Washing machine with rest of kit & air dry with rest of kit. However, I'm using gloves made of highly complex hydrocarbon molecules as opposed to sustainably harvested snow leopard leather.

biker72
03-22-2012, 10:42 AM
Two pages and no mention of mesh bags used to hold items in the washing machine? Or, did I miss it.

Anyway, get a zippered mesh bag and throw gloves in there. The velcro bits won't bother your other articles and the gloves get a little tangled but this is fine.

The mesh bag can even go in the dryer and pulled out so gloves can be separated after they're almost completely dry.

Oh, there's one post above mine that mentions mesh bags. :beer:
Another vote for mesh bags. :beer:

cekte
03-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Hadn't thought of that, to be honest, but sounds like a great idea.

pdmtong
03-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Another vote for mesh bags. :beer:

velcro items go in mesh bags

bibs go in a mesh bag so the straps dont strangle other items.

merino wool base layer goes in a mesh bag so hey dont stretch out from water weight.

yes, thats three seperate mesh bags. cheap insurance. go to Target...plenty of sizes and choices.