PDA

View Full Version : O.T. sonogram

Dekonick
08-25-2005, 09:17 PM
when looking for a mass - will a fluid filled mass appear dark or light?
(ie cyst)

Dekonick
08-25-2005, 09:21 PM
umm - and is it different than an ultrasound? I am out of my comfort zone with ultrasounds/sonograms/ etc...

I believe what I need to know is: will a cancerous mass appear dark or light on ultrasound. Further questioning will depend on what I hear back from the doc's in the crowd

dehoopta
08-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Fluid appears dark and more solid masses appear white as they bounce back more sonographic waves. An ultrasound is the same as sonogram (tomato/tomato). A cancer usually is more solid (white) in appearance, but there is much more to go on than that.

Hope that helps

Dekonick
08-26-2005, 11:14 AM
It does. A big sigh of relief.

Thanks.

BarryG
08-26-2005, 11:31 AM
when looking for a mass - will a fluid filled mass appear dark or light?
(ie cyst)
dehoopta is correct - a cyst will generally appear pitch black. Relative appearance of benign vs malignant masses is highly variable. There are some malignant masses that will appear quite dark as well as benign masses that appear light. Depends on the type of mass, organ involved, etc.

Barry

Dekonick
08-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Talking about a 3cm +/- hard non painful to palp lump in a breast (not mine..... :rolleyes: )

it was black on the ultrasound, with clearly defined border relative to neighboring area. I know little RE radiology etc... so reading dem pics isn't my deal. Dr wouldn't say anything... typical. Still waiting for official report.

I suppose a biopsy will be next - dunno. Fluid filled cyst is the probable diagnosis at this point. We will find out when they call and give results - talk about anxiety! I don't like waiting when someone you know and care about is potentially looking at cancer. It is cruel to make you wait.

OttrottAZ
08-26-2005, 10:14 PM
a cyst in the breast (or kidney or elsewhere) must have three characteristics to be deemed "simple" or always benign - "fugedaboudit"

1. anechoic (black)
2. well defined wall (not nodular or shaggy)
3. enhanced through transmission (bright behind it)

most centers don't aspirate these cysts unless for symptomatic relief, American College of Mammography recomends not sending aspirate of "simple" cysts to pathology

Dekonick
08-27-2005, 02:40 AM
Thanks for info. Still can't sleep... :crap: