PDA

View Full Version : OT: Nissan resurrects Datsun brand...

William
03-21-2012, 06:17 AM
They've decided to resurrect the brand to go after emerging markets in India, Russia, and Indonesia.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/21/business/nissan-datsun-resurrection/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

"The Datsun brand has a global mission, but when you go on a global mission you start with priorities and today we said our priority are three: They are Indonesia, they are India and they are Russia."

William

victoryfactory
03-21-2012, 06:23 AM
sounds desperate

verticaldoug
03-21-2012, 06:27 AM
The Datsun 240z was fun fun fun . The Nissan 300z, not so much.

G-Reg
03-21-2012, 06:45 AM
Great memories.

Many firsts happened in a Datsun 510.

JayBay
03-21-2012, 07:01 AM
That's pretty cool. I love the old Datsuns. The new 370z is getting closer to rekindling the spirit of the iconic 240z, but with all the modern "ammenities" in cars I doubt we'll ever see cars that lithe and sexy (and affordable) again.

vsefiream
03-21-2012, 07:18 AM
I have to say that I appreciate the 280 and I really like the 240 and 260's The funny thing is my favorite is the 90's 300ZX. I really like the Euro body style, they called it the Z32 body. I am not very fond of the square headlight version of the 280 named the 300Z produced in the mid to late 80's.
I was thinking a couple weeks ago how cool a 90's 300ZX would be with a nice LSX crate motor :cool:

fiamme red
03-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Some of the old Datsuns got pretty good gas mileage.

http://www.furballfrenzy.net/pics/ad-datsun.jpg

Spinner
03-21-2012, 07:39 AM
... owned a '71 sedan with 15,000 miles that I bought in '73 for $1,450 FRNs. Tricked-out the cams and the carb to make it scream. Did nearly all my own repairs with input from a mechanic buddy. Drove the car 150,000+ miles before selling in '77 for $500.

Welded-up a removable bike rack that could be bolted to the rear bumper bracket from which I hung my original multi-speed bike, a Schwinn Continental. The 510, the bike and I were inseparable during those college years.

Cheers.

William
03-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Zed car!! :cool:

rugbysecondrow
03-21-2012, 08:08 AM

Bring out the gimp.

goonster
03-21-2012, 08:11 AM
sounds desperate
I would give Carlos Ghosn the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he's doing.

witcombusa
03-21-2012, 08:16 AM
I prefered the late '60's 2000 roadster.....

Specs for the 1969 Datsun 2000 roadster:
Engine Location: Front
Drive type: Rear wheel
Weight: 1980 lbs.
Combined MPG: 22
0-60 mph: 8.4 seconds
Top speed: 108 mph
Engine: I-4
Model: U20
Solid Valve lifters
Aspiration/Induction: Natural
Displacement: 1982.00 cc
Valvetrain: SOHC
HP: 135 HP @ 6000.00 RPM
Torque: 132 ft-lbs @4400.00 RPM
HP to weight: 14.7 LB/HP
HP / Liter: 67.5 BHP / Liter
Bore: 87.1 mm
Stroke: 83.1 mm
Compression Ration: 9.5:1
Electronics: 12-volt electrical
Fuel type: Gasoline – Petrol
Fuel feed: Two SU-type carburetors
Block: Cast-iron
Head: Aluminum
Transmission: 5-Speed Manual with synchromesh gears
Final Drive: 3.70:1
Length: 155.701 inches
Width: 58.901 inches
Height: 52.201 inches
Wheelbase: 89.901 in

Chance
03-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Some of the old Datsuns got pretty good gas mileage.

http://www.furballfrenzy.net/pics/ad-datsun.jpg
Did you read the options being highlighted?

Whitewall tires, trip odometer, wheel covers, full carpeting, and vinyl seats? What was standard then? Good thing times have changed.

witcombusa
03-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Did you read the options being highlighted?

Whitewall tires, trip odometer, wheel covers, full carpeting, and vinyl seats? What was standard then? Good thing times have changed.

Current cars have WAY to much crap in them :eek:

konstantkarma
03-21-2012, 08:27 AM
I had that B-210 Hatchback in British Racing metallic Green. Fond memories, great on gas, but that thing was a rust bucket. The passenger bucket seat fell through the floor board. Gotta love the winter salt in the rust belt!

redir
03-21-2012, 08:27 AM
I had a Datsun 310 (I think) with a sun roof in High School, a family hand me down car. Was really a great car. I loved my buddies dad's 280ZX though.

I just saw one of those the other day in really good shape drive by.

Chance
03-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Agree. Just saying today we prefer cloth or leather, not vinyl. And aluminum wheels rather than hub caps. And whitewalls are not even considered as safe as blackwalls. And of course air conditioning is a must today, not even mentioned there. And chances are those cars didn't have power steering either. How many people today would buy a small car without power steering? Soon we'll all demand self parking electronic power steering. :crap:

deechee
03-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Funny how Toyota's Scion brand never really took off, and now Nissan is following by resurrecting an old brand. I realize Datsun won't be brought to North America but I wonder why these branding exercises need to be done. Nostalgia doesn't equal car sales.

TMB
03-21-2012, 08:46 AM

Yes they do. That 2000 roadster if they built it today would weigh 3800 pounds and would have to have 350 hp or no-one would look at it, and of course it would have electric everything. Sad.

TMB
03-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Agree. Just saying today we prefer cloth or leather, not vinyl. And aluminum wheels rather than hub caps. And whitewalls are not even considered as safe as blackwalls. And of course air conditioning is a must today, not even mentioned there. And chances are those cars didn't have power steering either. How many people today would buy a small car without power steering? Soon we'll all demand self parking electronic power steering. :crap:

What do you suppose your "leather" seat really are? Some form of leather like material on the smallest possible area of the seating surfaces and all of the rest of the upholstery is vinyl, although they don't call it vinyl anymore. Sounds too '70's.

jimcav
03-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Funny how Toyota's Scion brand never really took off, and now Nissan is following by resurrecting an old brand.

I don't know what the expectations are of scion or sales numbers but i see tons of them on the road and especially they are popular at marine corps base camp pendleton where i work. not as ubiquitous as pick-ups and mustangs, but they are plentiful.

fourflys
03-21-2012, 08:49 AM
sounds desperate

why?

just sounds like they are wanting to introduce a more affordable car to places that could use it and decided to resurrect the Datsun name... not that much different than all the other car companies bringing back names like Fiat, Beetle, Min Cooper, etc...

fourflys
03-21-2012, 08:52 AM
I don't know what the expectations are of scion or sales numbers but i see tons of them on the road and especially they are popular at marine corps base camp pendleton where i work. not as ubiquitous as pick-ups and mustangs, but they are plentiful.

agree, I was thinking the same thing when I read that post... Scions seem really popular anywhere there are young semi-professionals that maybe can't afford a Lexus, Infiniti, BMW...

I'd say Scion has done pretty well for Toyota...

tiretrax
03-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Is that a Scarab - Z with a small block chevy V8? It could beat nearly any supercar from that era. I lusted over one as an 11 year old.

Chance
03-21-2012, 08:56 AM
Funny how Toyota's Scion brand never really took off, and now Nissan is following by resurrecting an old brand. I realize Datsun won't be brought to North America but I wonder why these branding exercises need to be done. Nostalgia doesn't equal car sales.
Good question. Never understood what was wrong with "Datsun" brand in the first place.

Marketing is not my area, but if brands don't have some value why would GM bring back the Camaro instead of calling it something new? Or Ford sticking with the old Mustang or bring back the Taurus brand after it had been tarnished? They must feel the well recognized name leads to greater sales.

Unless it's a language issue why didn't Nissan just stay with Nissan for these new markets? Maybe a marketing guy can explain this to us.

dustyrider
03-21-2012, 09:00 AM
You know I just sold my 86 Subaru Hatchback two years ago, it had no power steering, steel wheels, no A/C. The buyer seemed pretty happy with it.
I'm sure it had nothing to do with the lack of those accessories and everything to do with the fuel economy and cost!

Chance
03-21-2012, 09:09 AM
What do you suppose your "leather" seat really are? Some form of leather like material on the smallest possible area of the seating surfaces and all of the rest of the upholstery is vinyl, although they don't call it vinyl anymore. Sounds too '70's.
What's odd about the ad is that it states vinyl interior and trim as if it's an improvement or upgrade. But over what? Wouldn't have cloth interior been considered an upgrade over vinyl? In which case what was the vinyl upgrading from? Maybe it was over bare metal interior trim (or lack of trim). Old trucks were like that but never seen the same in old cars from the 70s.

It's very interesting to see how things change over 40 years.

J.Greene
03-21-2012, 09:24 AM
One of the coolest racing events of my childhood was seeing Paul Newman race his twin turbo 280 in the 24 hours of Daytona. I don't think the japanese car industry could have gotten from there to here without cars like the 280.

TMB
03-21-2012, 09:35 AM
What's odd about the ad is that it states vinyl interior and trim as if it's an improvement or upgrade. But over what? Wouldn't have cloth interior been considered an upgrade over vinyl? In which case what was the vinyl upgrading from? Maybe it was over bare metal interior trim (or lack of trim). Old trucks were like that but never seen the same in old cars from the 70s.

It's very interesting to see how things change over 40 years.

I don't know what age you are but back then the vinyl interior was considered an "upgrade". Standard was cloth, vinyl was considered to be the "gee whiz" going to town option.

fiamme red
03-21-2012, 09:44 AM
I don't know what age you are but back then the vinyl interior was considered an "upgrade". Standard was cloth, vinyl was considered to be the "gee whiz" going to town option.Vinyl is easy to clean, and the good stuff can feel almost like leather.

This guy uses vinyl to recover saddles:

http://www.recoveredsaddle.com/blog/faq/

My material of choice is a soft marine grade vinyl, called Whisper Faux Leather vinyl, that is lightly embossed and very durable. Whisper Faux Leather is a premium, soft "leather" vinyl used in a variety of commercial, and now cycling, applications. If you didn’t know any better, you would swear it’s leather.

cmg
03-21-2012, 09:51 AM
"Toyota's Scion brand never really took off" The hatchback costs $15,265 with the tC costing $18,575, not really that affordable. add dealer costs and it could be up over $20k. The Datsun their introducing in emerging ecomonies will probably be under $10k with a less than 100hp engine (1200-1600cc) no power steering, no A/C, vinyl seats. Slightly more than an expensive motorcycle. Can you imagine an American looking forward to buying a less than 100hp engine? Car And driver/motorweek would be crying. it would never sell in america. mini-cooper? How much of the current mini-cooper is british? it has no resemblance to it's namesake.

witcombusa
03-21-2012, 10:26 AM

I waited an extra month to order a car with A/C delete.....

fiamme red
03-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Marketing is not my area, but if brands don't have some value why would GM bring back the Camaro instead of calling it something new? Or Ford sticking with the old Mustang or bring back the Taurus brand after it had been tarnished? They must feel the well recognized name leads to greater sales.I'm not holding my breath for Toyota to bring back the Toyopet. ;)

Viper
03-21-2012, 10:45 AM
The Datsun 240z was fun fun fun . The Nissan 300z, not so much.

My co-worker owns a 1973. We had to remove the intake as these series of metal tubes which connected into it, were completely rusted. I eliminated that system, drilled, tapped and plugged the holes. Replaced the gasket, carb gasket, tuned it up, battery, tires, brakes (it needed all new brake lines which sucked) and turned the key. The car has a lot of rust, I'm a wrench and don't do body work so my work is done.

pavel
03-21-2012, 10:51 AM
WTB orange 510, anybody? :banana:

ORMojo
03-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Man, I loved loved loved my 2000 Roadster. It was one of the first models – 1967, only 1,000 produced – which was nice because starting in 1968 they added emission controls and “safety features” (higher, less sporty, windshield, and more) that reduced the performance & fun. I owned mine from 1976 to 1985, and, of course, now wish I hadn’t sold it.

I had the “Competition” model, which had upgraded dual Solex carbs and other enhancements, and was only available as a factory upgrade on the original 1967 model. 150hp; redline was 7,000; top speed was 140. I regularly had it over 100. I had every possible mod and accessory on that baby, and it was mint, including complete custom interior/seating, wheels, lighting, new tonneau cover and soft top, custom rear luggage rack, and a custom paint job – the original Spanish Red shade with wide black dual racing stripes running over the hood. My girlfriend (future wife!) and I took a lot of road trips in that car.

The 3rd year I owned it (I think), I completely rebuilt the engine over the course of one week – on our living room floor! It was mid-winter, and our small garage didn't have heat, or room for both the car and the pulled engine. Pulled the engine, rolled the stand into the living room that we had covered with heavy plastic and padding, and went at it. Bored the cylinders, new pistons (obviously), upgraded fuel pump, I forget what else. Really purred after that, and about a week after finishing, we took a three-week road trip in it from Oregon to Mexico and back through Las Vegas.

(That was obviously way before consumer digital photography, and the pictures I have are boxed up, but this one looks pretty much as mine did – wrong base color, but my stripes and lighting were very close to this.)
http://www.metropolitansupply.com/images/user/1344.jpg

I did all of my own work on it and I still have many of the special tools I bought specifically for that car. At the time, I thought the coolest tool was my ColorTune spark plug, and it really did make tuning the mixture from the dual carbs easier.

When I sold it, the buyer came to Oregon for it all the way from Arizona. For the past year or so, I’ve actually been casually cruising the listings, thinking I might pick one up again.

redir
03-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Man, I loved loved loved my 2000 Roadster. It was one of the first models – 1967, only 1,000 produced – which was nice because starting in 1968 they added emission controls and “safety features” (higher, less sporty, windshield, and more) that reduced the performance & fun. I owned mine from 1976 to 1985, and, of course, now wish I hadn’t sold it.

I had the “Competition” model, which had upgraded dual Solex carbs and other enhancements, and was only available as a factory upgrade on the original 1967 model. 150hp; redline was 7,000; top speed was 140. I regularly had it over 100. I had every possible mod and accessory on that baby, and it was mint, including complete custom interior/seating, wheels, lighting, new tonneau cover and soft top, custom rear luggage rack, and a custom paint job – the original Spanish Red shade with wide black dual racing stripes running over the hood. My girlfriend (future wife!) and I took a lot of road trips in that car.

The 3rd year I owned it (I think), I completely rebuilt the engine over the course of one week – on our living room floor! It was mid-winter, and our small garage didn't have heat, or room for both the car and the pulled engine. Pulled the engine, rolled the stand into the living room that we had covered with heavy plastic and padding, and went at it. Bored the cylinders, new pistons (obviously), upgraded fuel pump, I forget what else. Really purred after that, and about a week after finishing, we took a three-week road trip in it from Oregon to Mexico and back through Las Vegas.

(That was obviously way before consumer digital photography, and the pictures I have are boxed up, but this one looks pretty much as mine did – wrong base color, but my stripes and lighting were very close to this.)
http://www.metropolitansupply.com/images/user/1344.jpg

I did all of my own work on it and I still have many of the special tools I bought specifically for that car. At the time, I thought the coolest tool was my ColorTune spark plug, and it really did make tuning the mixture from the dual carbs easier.

When I sold it, the buyer came to Oregon for it all the way from Arizona. For the past year or so, I’ve actually been casually cruising the listings, thinking I might pick one up again.

Oh man you did the right thing to marry the girl that don't mind you rebuilding an engine in your living room :D

ORMojo
03-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Oh man you did the right thing to marry the girl that don't mind you rebuilding an engine in your living room :D

True! Of course, it didn't hurt that the previous year I had rebuilt her parents' Volvo B18 engine for them. At least I did that in their garage. And the B18 was a much easier rebuild than the Datsun's U20.

Mr. Squirrel
03-21-2012, 12:50 PM
i own one. it is a wonderful vacation home. we occasionally rent it to the chipmunks..

mr. squirrel

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2010/02/chipmunk_zx.jpg

jghall
03-21-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm with a few others, partial to the 1600 and 2000. Had a convertible 2000 many moons ago. What a blast of a car to drive.

oliver1850
03-21-2012, 07:47 PM
To me, this is the car that contributed most to Datsun's image in North America. The Peter Brock 510, driven by John Morton.

henry14
03-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Had a '71 510 wagon with dual carbs. That little thing was a blast to drive. If i could do it again, it'll probably be a 4 door with a SR20DET.

Chad Engle
03-21-2012, 08:43 PM
This was my wifes first car, fell in love with her despite it. That was in high school.

Good memories.

Louis
03-21-2012, 08:50 PM

I would gladly buy a car without power windows. Even in hot, humid St Louis I hardly ever use the A/C.

When I see cars with heated seats (to say nothing of power seats) I can't help but shake my head. And we wonder why gas mileage is so low.

ORMojo
03-21-2012, 10:47 PM
This was my wifes first car, fell in love with her despite it. That was in high school.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=92595&stc=1
Good memories.

Damn, you were a cute couple!

TMB
03-21-2012, 11:21 PM

Good memories.

There should be more cars as good as the Datsun 510 was.

Louis
03-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Since we're looking back nostalgically, today on my way in to work I passed an early-mid 80's (a guess) K-car. What a fine vehicle that was. Not. I'm amazed that thing is still on the road.

Birddog
03-22-2012, 05:52 AM
Wasn't the precursor to the 2000 Roadster called the Fairlady? Worst name for a performance car ever. I know it was a translation from Japanese as is Datsun which IIRC roughly means rabbit. I had a 75 pickup for a number of years.

ORMojo
03-22-2012, 08:54 AM
Wasn't the precursor to the 2000 Roadster called the Fairlady? Worst name for a performance car ever. I know it was a translation from Japanese as is Datsun which IIRC roughly means rabbit. I had a 75 pickup for a number of years.

Actually, the 2000 was the Fairlady, or at least one version of it. The whole series of 1600 and 2000 models was primarily known either as the "Datsun Sport" or "Datsun Fairlady" series.

The very first model in the Datsun Sport line was the S211, also known as the Datsun 1000. From there, the "1000" and "S..." names evolved through a series of models, including the SPL212/1200, SPL213, SP(L)310/1500, SP(L)311/1600, SR(L)311/2000. The 1000 was also known as the Sports 1000, while the 1200 through 2000 were also known as either the Sports XXXX or the Fairlady XXXX. Which name for the car was in common use mostly depended on the market, with Fairlady being the home market name.

Confused yet?

The "Datsun Sports 2000" aka the "SR311" aka the "Fairlady" aka the "Fairlady 2000" aka the "Roadster" aka the "2000 Roadster" . . .

54ny77
03-22-2012, 09:14 AM
The Sentra is. I had one in college (late 80's/early 90's) and it's still going strong almost 20 years later--it's been passed around to various friends of our family and used by plenty, as commuter car, kids' high school/college car, retiree runabout, spare car, etc. At last check it had almost a few hundred k miles on it, and minimal work (a few clutches, brakes, etc). Can't beat that.

There should be more cars as good as the Datsun 510 was.

Seramount
03-22-2012, 09:20 AM
I had several beater Datsun trucks while in college. loved em...

I'd buy something high-mileage, nasty dinged up sheet metal, oil burner and drive the snot out of it.

when it died, I'd part it out, break even and look for another one.

yetitotheheady
03-22-2012, 12:16 PM
The Datsun their introducing in emerging ecomonies will probably be under $10k with a less than 100hp engine (1200-1600cc) no power steering, no A/C, vinyl seats. Slightly more than an expensive motorcycle. Can you imagine an American looking forward to buying a less than 100hp engine?

The Sentra is. I had one in college (late 80's/early 90's) and it's still going strong almost 20 years later--it's been passed around to various friends of our family and used by plenty, as commuter car, kids' high school/college car, retiree runabout, spare car, etc. At last check it had almost a few hundred k miles on it, and minimal work (a few clutches, brakes, etc). Can't beat that.

I am in agreement with CMG and 54ny77. It will be a low cost, low horse-powered simple car, with minimal options. It should be a nissan sentra type vehicle, I had a 1996 that was amazing car. It was passed through many family members. Some may know already but the Nissan Tsuru/Sentra (1991-1994 body style) http://www.google.com/url?url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Sentra%23Nissan_Tsuru.2FV16_.281992.E2.80.9 3present.29&rct=j&q=nissan+tsuru&usg=AFQjCNGmmQ9yzv3Erj-jPVaINyyeih2BVA&sa=X&ei=E2trT6vuCIaSiQLU0MypBQ&ved=0CE4QygQwBA is still being produced, it is essentially Mexico's Taxi fleet.

unbelievable http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NISSAN/TSURU/

William
03-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Datsun Patrol anyone?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3626/3345084742_6e17800840_z.jpg

William

Birddog
03-23-2012, 07:34 AM
I knew some folks that owned a "Patrol". Even then back in the mid 70's parts were a nightmare but alas, the motor was essentially a GM stovebolt 6. They found out you could literally just install a gm distributor in theirs. After that revelation, they just used GM after market parts in many applications.