PDA

View Full Version : Eggbeaters on road bikes - what the deal?

730tjc
08-25-2005, 06:26 PM
I've seen a few sets eggbeaters on Serottas in this forum. What advantage is there in using the mountainbike pedal on the road?

SoCalSteve
08-25-2005, 06:34 PM
is that you can wear MTB shoes. But, if thats the case, use SPD's. They have a bigger platform, are easier to get in and out of and weigh about the same.

Just my $.02

Steve

Between my wife and I, we have tried every pedal system there is, both MTB and Road. We both use Speedplay X now. Take it for what its worth...

Ray
08-25-2005, 06:36 PM
I've seen a few sets eggbeaters on Serottas in this forum. What advantage is there in using the mountainbike pedal on the road?
You can walk when you get off the bike.

For some this is reason enough. I like the additional support of a wide platform road pedal like a Look, but back when I used Speedplays, I went from the X-2s to Frogs because they felt the same and, all other things being equal, I'd rather be able to walk when off the bike. I still use SPDs on my touring bike for this reason.

-Ray

znfdl
08-25-2005, 07:36 PM
I have a set of Crank Brothers Quatro on my Spectrum Ti. I can use my MTB or Road Shoes without switching pedals.

Dekonick
08-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Time Atac's - love em. Considering putting them on all my bikes save the Hors Cat.

Wish they had a 1 side Atac...

jbay
08-25-2005, 10:18 PM
I'll second the positive mention of Crank Brothers' pedals. They have a large platform, leading to a rock solid connection for your foot. Like their MTB cousins, they are uncloggable. They are light. They are usable with walkable shoes. The surfaces that may wear are replaceable. They are supposed to be coming out with a fixed cleat in the near future, which will address their only negative aspect (in my very subjective opinion) - a little too much float.

They're even available in red to suit the eRichieissimo!

-- John

jpw
08-26-2005, 03:43 AM
is that you can wear MTB shoes. But, if thats the case, use SPD's. They have a bigger platform, are easier to get in and out of and weigh about the same.

Just my $.02

Steve

Between my wife and I, we have tried every pedal system there is, both MTB and Road. We both use Speedplay X now. Take it for what its worth...

Have you tried Coombe?

vandeda
08-26-2005, 06:58 AM
Like most people here have said .... the advantage is the ability to walk. I love my SPD sandals. Not as good power transfer, but then, when I'm commuting I'm not necessarily looking to race anybody. And the ability to get to my destination, and then just get off my bike and walk wherever without worrying about brining another pair of shoes is wonderful. And to not have to worry about plastic cleats (as in the SPD-SLs I have also) is wonderful too.

And for people with both mtn & road bikes, for some the ability to standardize is nice too.

Dan

Fixed
08-26-2005, 07:40 AM
They work good on a fix 4 sided entry and they can be found cheap. Cheers

Bruce Jacobs
08-26-2005, 08:18 AM
eggbeaters on the roadbikes. We wear carbon soled road shoes with the road EB cleats which make it easier to walk. We have also tried all the pedal systems. The EBs have the best in and out, they are light (Ti), same as the Look Keos and with the road shoe rather than a mountain shoe there is a weight savings. For the person who called them a mountain pedal, Look licensed them as a road pedal some years back. I think pedal systems are like saddles, you have to try a bunch of them before you find what works best.

I have no faith in the SPD type pedal. My experience with them has been terrible with a mountain bike since it does not take much debris to slow down or jam the release. If you have never had a problem that's great but I have tasted to much dirt with them becaused they failed to release and have no desire to taste pavement because some tree droppings got sucked up into the pedal.

For those who wear MB shoes on a roadbike to make it easier to walk, what can I say. 1% off the bike verses 99% on the bike to pay the weight penalty for MB shoes doesn't register with me. Someone I know used Crank Bros Mallets on his road bike. All in what makes you happy.

BTW, our bikes are Serotta and they look just fine with EB pedals.

vandeda
08-26-2005, 08:28 AM
[quote]For those who wear MB shoes on a roadbike to make it easier to walk, what can I say. 1% off the bike verses 99% on the bike to pay the weight penalty for MB shoes doesn't register with me.[quote]

Maybe it's because most of my riding is commuting. So lets say 10% biking 90% doing other stuff the rest of the day. It's nice not having to swap shoes. Or the fact that some of the people I like to ride with stop often, so lotsa time off the bike too. A small weight penalty is well worth it after having used both road & mtn pedal systems and shoes. And once I'm riding I don't notice the weight difference as much ... though, I do usually notice the weight in my pannier bags lol.

But, as with anything, use what works best for you. If a particular system doesn't work for 'ya, try something else until you find what you like :D

Dan

dauwhe
08-26-2005, 08:39 AM
I've used Speedplay Frogs for years. I'm very happy with the pedals and the cheap Shimano MTB shoes I've been using.

It's important to me that when I enter a store during a ride, that I don't damage the floor with lots of metal sticking out from the bottom of my shoes! It's also very handy when clambering off the road to answer the call of nature!

And I have a feeling I'll pushing the bike up some 27% dirt grades tomorrow at D2R2!

I didn't realize I'm supposed to worry about the weight of my shoes! Better order those carbon-fiber socks soon! :)

Dekonick
08-26-2005, 11:23 AM
If we were really worried about weight, we wouldn't ride Serotta's.

What is a few grams anyway? I would rather have my Ti or steel bike than some beer can just to save weight. As far as mountain shoes; it is nice to be able to walk. I like Atac's for the wide platform, solid feel and great dirt clearance. Fantastic mountain pedals. Tried em on my fixxie (cross-check) and really liked em. Put em on my commuter now...and love that too. I only have one bike that still has looks - the Hors. I will probably leave the H.C as it is because - as noted - 99% ride time 1% on feet.

For a beater, fixxie, or commuter it is hard to understand why you would want a road pedal system v.s. a system with friendly shoes n cleats. My thoughts only.