PDA

View Full Version : Is nonelectric internal cable routing here to stay?

MattTuck
03-20-2012, 04:20 PM
I was at the LBS this weekend, and was playing with the shifting/brakes on an internally routed bike. The braking on the rear really sucks, doesn't feel good at all (IMO).

I understand the internal routing for electric shifting, and although I find the argument dubious, I can atleast acknowledge that funky shaped carbon tubing might call for some weird cable routing if it were external.

The owner of the shop showed me a tarmac he picked up for personal use, specifically because it was the last year with external cable stops...

Do you think the internal routing is here to stay for mechanical shifting/braking? or do you think we'll go back to putting cables back on the outside. From what I gather, it is a pain in the ass for mechanics too.

John H.
03-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I hope not- but it may be here to stay.
I built a 2012 S-works SL4 with internal cables- what a pain in the ass.
No way it shifts as smooth as the external bikes.
I think I am going to get myself a ti bike with old school external cables, external headset and threaded bb.

SoCalSteve
03-20-2012, 05:54 PM
I hope not- but it may be here to stay.
I built a 2012 S-works SL4 with internal cables- what a pain in the ass.
No way it shifts as smooth as the external bikes.
I think I am going to get myself a ti bike with old school external cables, external headset and threaded bb.

Blasphamous!!!..... ;)

AngryScientist
03-20-2012, 05:58 PM
yet another solution in search of a question. internal cable routing for mechanical systems is silly IMO, for the most part.

for people who really rack up the mileage, its so nice to be able to do a cable change quickly, with minimal hassle. i bet the pro team mechanics loathe internal routing too, when they are expected to hand over perfectly shifting bikes day after day in stage racing and whatnot.

hopefully not here to stay.

oldpotatoe
03-21-2012, 06:43 AM
I was at the LBS this weekend, and was playing with the shifting/brakes on an internally routed bike. The braking on the rear really sucks, doesn't feel good at all (IMO).

I understand the internal routing for electric shifting, and although I find the argument dubious, I can atleast acknowledge that funky shaped carbon tubing might call for some weird cable routing if it were external.

The owner of the shop showed me a tarmac he picked up for personal use, specifically because it was the last year with external cable stops...

Do you think the internal routing is here to stay for mechanical shifting/braking? or do you think we'll go back to putting cables back on the outside. From what I gather, it is a pain in the ass for mechanics too.

You can say that twice, twice. I have built some frames with internal routing that take way to much time. Cervelo, BMC, Specialized come to mind. I would have thought the bike industry learned their lesson with Kleins and Zipps.

I think it's cheaper, particularly on carbon, to make a few holes with stops than put an outside the frame stop. The pablum about aerodynamics(marketing) is hilarious. I'll bet team wrenches hate it when they gotta change a bunch of cables.

Thankfully seatmasts 'seem' to be slowly leaving the market but multiple BB 'standards' and more and more headset 'standards' seem to be more prevalent.

Gettin silly on the high end MTB scene as well. BB30/PFBB30, 44mm headtubes and rear thru axles are comin' our way..ohhh boy.

witcombusa
03-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Thankfully seatmasts 'seem' to be slowly leaving the market but multiple BB 'standards' and more and more headset 'standards' seem to be more prevalent.

Gettin silly on the high end MTB scene as well. BB30/PFBB30, 44mm headtubes and rear thru axles are comin' our way..ohhh boy.

People seem to be willing to buy whatever they are fed.

"If you market it, they will come"

how sad....

MattTuck
03-21-2012, 10:46 AM
I think it's cheaper, particularly on carbon, to make a few holes with stops than put an outside the frame stop. The pablum about aerodynamics(marketing) is hilarious. I'll bet team wrenches hate it when they gotta change a bunch of cables.

Yeah, usually when you 'follow the money', you figure out why things are a certain way. Still, with this, integrated seat masts and several other trends, it seems the bike industry is taking the 'less is more' approach. Less performance is more money.