PDA

View Full Version : ? for the Euro market - Principia?

dookie
03-20-2012, 01:53 PM
A Danish alloy builder in the mid-late 2000s? Anyone know them? And some Tiawanese copy, Boreas...possibly a low-cost sub-brand and not copycat?

Story I have is over-engineered, ahead of times, pushing the alloy envelope, bankrupt...but this comes from a seller. I can find virtually nothing on them online.

Any info appreciated.

the bottle ride
03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
I had a Principia and a Boreas (same designer as the Principia)- great bikes. One of the coolest al bikes ever made- very light, one of the first companies with oversize carbon forks (larger lower crown like todays new standard of 1.5) and had great durable finishes that were annodized differentlty than any other bike I have ever seen- it was like a rough ano but tougher and not scratchable.

If you use some sort of way back machine you should be able to get back to their old website- I did a couple of years ago to sell them off on ebay.

sokyroadie
03-21-2012, 03:23 AM
I had a Principia - great bikes. One of the coolest al bikes ever made- very light, one of the first companies with oversize carbon forks (larger lower crown like todays new standard of 1.5) and had great durable finishes that were annodized differentlty than any other bike I have ever seen- it was like a rough ano but tougher and not scratchable.

I had a 2004 Principia Evolution frame and it was very nice 7020 Aluminum with a great finish - made in Denmark.

Jeff

dookie
07-24-2012, 07:15 AM
so, finally finished: the 'last' piece in my 'one of every material' road stable...ti, carbon, steel are now joined by this beer can bike.

i started riding seriously in the late 80s, when oversized aluminum was positively abusive (had one of those 3.0 cannondales with the cantilevered dropouts and 20mm tires @ 130psi!). as a result, i've actively avoided it. but i have a thing for the over-engineered and this frameset came up...very clean, exactly the right long'n'low size for me (52x55) and just a couple hundred dollars (w/OEM carbon fork). i had to bite, right? CNCed 'barrels' for BB shell and head tube (w/integrated cable guides), paint over anodization...totally OCD build. ~$1200 new in '05, i'm told.

my parts bin already held the centaur century and the deda post, so i just had to pick up the matching bar/stem (*loving* the deda 'rhm' bar contour). i'd planned to go 'budget' sram, but the right deals happened and i ended up with red levers and force derailleurs (cosmetics, perfect...bonus!). wheels are 'wide' alloys w/25mm open corsas (that measure 27!). the complete package ended up a bit heavier than expected @ 17.4lbs, but it sure feels light on the road...

after a couple hundred miles, i can say that this is a straight-up race bike...quick handling and STIFF. the wide rims really suit it, in that the low pressure/high volume damps the ride quite a bit and the frame is well-suited to take advantage of the extra grip (even if i am not). beefy frame tubes and tires look, well, beefy. for sure it *goes*.