PDA

View Full Version : OT need a new fridge, recommendations?

jimcav
03-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Anyone gone through this recently? My wife wants a bottom freezer, french door. I think they are cool, and with my hip issues would like to not bend down to find stuff in the fridge, so like the bottom freezer idea. The french door thing is more expensive, and i am not sure it matters enough to justify the price.
I've read reviews at home depot, aj madison, and best buy, they are all over the place. makes me think modern fridges don't simply just run for 15 years like old fridges did (and that is my experience with my parents, her parents, and our first fridge). the last 3 have been duds requiring service for something within 1-3 years

I know my wife will just give me the look when i mention the cost of the french door, since it is less than the last frame i bought!

She is leaning toward an LG with the trick ice maker in the door

thanks
jim

rugbysecondrow
03-20-2012, 11:21 AM
My wife and I just got the KitchenAid fridge, similar except it has a middle drawer which we use for fruits and veggies. We REALLY like it, we go the matching range as well.
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/IMG_3793.jpg
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/IMG_3796.jpg
http://i413.photobucket.com/albums/pp217/phpeter/IMG_3792.jpg

jds108
03-20-2012, 11:24 AM
So I'm not sure that I have a specific recommendation, but I do have at least 2 cents to chip in...

Don't try to buy a fridge from a place over the internet. If you run into trouble, it's too difficult to return it.

Also, don't buy a product that has limited support in your city. I bought a Fisher and Paykel and ran into both of the problems above.

Also, The F&P's doors didn't just close automatically (i.e. by gravity). They just stayed where-ever you left them. That's the only fridge I ever had like that, and I'd prefer a fridge with doors that close once the door is within something like 45 degrees of being closed.

And I'd avoid extra gadgets as they only increase the likelihood of something going wrong.

When you're looking at fridges, take note of how much space is lost by the space taken up by hinges, sliders, trays, etc. You can really lose a lot of space with some models. Also, with the French doors, avoid models that have slide out trays that span the whole width of the fridge - you have to open both doors to slide open those trays.

I went back to a side-by-side, as I don't see the French door style as being any better (IMO of course).

So the most recent purchase was this: Frigidaire-26.0 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator with Thru-the-Door Ice and Water-Stainless-Steel-FFUS2613LS. I just wanted an all stainless front and water/ice on the door. This was the least expensive that was local ($1k at Best Buy). The only thing it's lacking is a deli drawer. No issues with my unit, so I'm a happy customer.

rugbysecondrow
03-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Oddly enough, we went from a Side by Side to the KitchenAid and I thought space would be an issue as well, but was surprised that all our stuff fit with lots of room to spare. Maybe it is the kind of stuff we have also. Anyway, no wrong decision, just some anecdotal info.

:beer:

jds108
03-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Oddly enough, we went from a Side by Side to the KitchenAid and I thought space would be an issue as well, but was surprised that all our stuff fit with lots of room to spare. Maybe it is the kind of stuff we have also. Anyway, no wrong decision, just some anecdotal info.

:beer:

I should have mentioned that my french door model was cabinet-depth, so it started with a smaller-than-usual amount of cubic feet.

Ken Robb
03-20-2012, 11:36 AM
As with most appliances Consumer Reports has lots of good info on refrigerators in general like pros/cons of various style plus actual tests of specific models and the results of surveys of readers as to their personal experience on repairs of the units they own. The good news: Whirlpool and Kenmore models made by Whirlpool (some Kenmores are not) have been among the most dependable and they are less expensive than some "name" brands that don't really perform very well.

The tests are available on-line and at most libraries.

54ny77
03-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Look for the new line of Rapha bespoke vapor-compression refrigeration units available summer of 2012. Freeze your yak meat in style.

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2006/02/27/smeg_refrigerators.jpg

old_fat_and_slow
03-20-2012, 01:00 PM

PQJ
03-20-2012, 01:04 PM
We have one of each and I'm indifferent to them. If I were in the market for a new fridge, it would be a function of price and features and I don't think we'd care if it was 'regular' or 'french.'

To one of your points - nothing today is built to last (except perhaps a bespoke frame that isn't made out of plastic, and Campy). Just the way it is.

Spinner
03-20-2012, 01:26 PM
... simply the best.

echelon_john
03-20-2012, 01:31 PM
When we redo our kitchen it will be Liebherr. Really smart layout; various depths and door configurations; excellent quality.

http://www.liebherr-appliances.com/

Louis
03-20-2012, 01:32 PM
... simply the best.

Does someone always need to have "the best?"

What if the "best" costs two times the price of another that gives you 96% of the functionality and 25% of the bling?

Ken C
03-20-2012, 01:45 PM
I agree with Ken regarding the Consumer Reports advice. Reading the online reviews from HD, Madison, etc are kind of like reading tire reviews on Roadbike review. Some people always find something to nitpick about and write a negative review, when really it is not that big of a deal. Kind of like the people who complain that their 4000s did not go to 6,000 miles and they punctured twice so they are now going back to Gatorskins.

The Consumer Reports reviews are nice because they lack the emotion that the reviews done by people who purchased the fridge have. They also have brand reliability surveys to help keep an eye out for manufacurers which may be repair prone.

When my wife and I just purchased a fridge, I ponied up for the online subscription to CR and I am glad I did, it is only $29 for a year. I have used it for multiple purchases since, like the new stove we bought two days later.

Since our home was built in the 50's we do not have enough space under cabinets above the fridge to be able to go with a modern design with any real usable cubic feet of storage.

We decided to go with what OFS suggested and purchased a basic freezer on top, fridge below model with an ice maker. It is a nice stainless steel LG. It is 22 cf and has way more usable storage than our old side by side. Top freezers are cheaper, more reliable, and more energy efficient, but do not look as fancy.

Just looking at CR, I see that there there are many LG bottom freezer, french door models with are recommended by them. However, the brand reliability for LG botton freezers with an ice maker is not quite as good as Whirpool, and KitchenAide. I would recommend getting the online subscripton to see more.

pdmtong
03-20-2012, 01:57 PM
we remodeled our kitchen recently...went with the kitchen-aid and french door bottom freezer design you mention. bottom freezer is a bit smaller than the top freezer...but workable. just harder to put bulk items in it as we dont have another freezer unit in the garage. btw viking refers are made by kitchen-aid...whatever you do, make sure the bottom freezer cage has a solid bottom/sides, since a wire cage allows ice particles and contents to slip through and hit the floor.

the doors as noted dont shut by gravity. for the first few months, one of us always was forgetting to close the door and were reminded to do so but the door alarm....

changed the handle design so it matches the thermador range/dishwasher...

torquer
03-20-2012, 02:22 PM
I would give the freezer on the bottom models a big overwhelming thumbs down.
Save yerself a lot of trouble, go with freezer on top, or side-by-side.
Not sayin' you didn't get a lemon with the Amana (generally rated pretty well, AIR), but I think you're in the minority on this one. CR, for one, rates most of the bottom-freezers more highly than the other configurations, last time I checked.
Air doesn't get pushed around, refrigerant does; besides, there should be an air-tight divider between freezer compartment and the main compartment, unless you're looking at dorm-room size minis.
Physics aside, the bottom freezers have a couple functional advantages: slide-out freezer drawers give you unhindered access to every corner of the compartment; more stuff in the main compartment is accessible without stooping (a consideration for everyone who plans on getting older, with the reduced flexibility that comes with that chronic condition); and, if you have dogs (who tend to want to investigate whenever the fridge door opens), the high door lets them pass under in a tight kitchen without bother.

The ice makers/cold-water dispensers seem to be the most trouble-prone part of refrigerators, so if reliability is a top concern, I would look for models without those "features." Saves the cost of a plumbing hook-up, too.

EDS
03-20-2012, 02:35 PM
we remodeled our kitchen recently...went with the kitchen-aid and french door bottom freezer design you mention. bottom freezer is a bit smaller than the top freezer...but workable. just harder to put bulk items in it as we dont have another freezer unit in the garage. btw viking refers are made by kitchen-aid...whatever you do, make sure the bottom freezer cage has a solid bottom/sides, since a wire cage allows ice particles and contents to slip through and hit the floor.

the doors as noted dont shut by gravity. for the first few months, one of us always was forgetting to close the door and were reminded to do so but the door alarm....

changed the handle design so it matches the thermador range/dishwasher...

Agreed on the door closing issue with the french door set-up. I would not get that again. We have a GE Cafe model I think and it works just fine.

Marcusaurelius
03-20-2012, 02:38 PM
The nicer brands cost more but I wold say are worth it in the end. I like Viking. They are very well made. Of course Sub Zero is another good brand.

old_fat_and_slow
03-20-2012, 02:54 PM

54ny77
03-20-2012, 02:59 PM
i decry the lack of machismo in this discussing refrigerators. make your woman (or man) handle it and bring you freshly prepared food, as it should be. worry about riding bike.

http://drunkcyclist.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Cipo_even_more_baller.jpg

;)

rugbysecondrow
03-20-2012, 03:29 PM
I never really considered the door shutting or not shutting an issue until reading this.

We shopped option, what did we want, who offered it and of those, which was the best option.

What really swayed us was the middle drawer for fresh stuff. The bottom freezer. I don't use a freezer for much and we don't buy ready made frozen stuff so we didn't need that much space. I liked the french door model because everything was at eye level, I didn't have to bend down and dig in the fridge. Anectdotally, I have noticed that we use more of what we have and less goes bad because it doesn't get lost in the fridge.

jimcav
03-20-2012, 03:36 PM
I never really considered the door shutting or not shutting an issue until reading this.

We shopped option, what did we want, who offered it and of those, which was the best option.

What really swayed us was the middle drawer for fresh stuff. The bottom freezer. I don't use a freezer for much and we don't buy ready made frozen stuff so we didn't need that much space. I liked the french door model because everything was at eye level, I didn't have to bend down and dig in the fridge. Anectdotally, I have noticed that we use more of what we have and less goes bad because it doesn't get lost in the fridge.

This is what makes me "okay" with my wife's french door/bottom freezer wishes. I still have hip problems and hate bending down and hunting for stuff--stuff i don't readily see tends to go bad in there.

hope my library has CR, i read consumer research (i think .org) online but the ones they liked were well over $2k

fjaws
03-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Get one with dual evaporators. Despite previous comments, do some research and you'll find with a single evaporator (most units), the air from the freezer is what cools the whole unit.

Problem is, air that cold is dry which is not the best condition for your produce. With the dual evaporator models, one evaporator is for the freezer the other for the fridge....your fresh produce will last MUCH longer with dual evaporators compared to single.

jghall
03-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Another vote for the bottom freezer. Regardless of the air flow and physics of it, it is just a nicer way to go. The "french door" is the "in" thing today.

Typically the Sears brand generally scores pretty high in the reliability department.

My Maytag has held up well for the 6+ years I've owned it.