PDA

View Full Version : modify a classic frame: sacrilege or practical?

binouye
03-19-2012, 07:29 PM
I have a 1981 Ciocc frame (Columbus SL) that I'm planning to have repainted. After I strip it, I could braze on a pair of cable stops for the rear brake, along the top tube, and remove the (rusting) original little loops that hold the brake housing along the top of the top tube.

Pros: potentially better braking, since the top tube doesn't compress at all, whereas the long run of cable housing does some. It would save a few grams. It changes the look of the bike a little.

Cons: It would take an hour. It changes the look of the bike a little.

This is not a museum piece or especially rare frame, just a nice classic Italian road bike that I ride occasionally. I have the original / 80s Campagnolo components for it, but plan to rebuild with more modern alloy Athena parts after the repaint. I have a Soma sparrow bar on it now, will probably still with that.

Opinions? Would I be "ruining" the frame by modifying the rear brake cable run?

stephenmarklay
03-19-2012, 07:39 PM
I personally think it is just fine. The worst it will do is decrease the value of the frame but not more than the repaint itself. The most it will do is make a bike that is a easier to live and you are happier with.

I say go for it.

christian
03-19-2012, 07:42 PM
I would do it. Split stops are an improvement.

Fishbike
03-19-2012, 07:45 PM
yes, go for it. it will make the frame more user friendly and therefor more ridable. it's a minor modification that won't change the character of the bike. it's not like you are going to turn it into a fixie with glow in the dark wheels.

tv_vt
03-19-2012, 07:48 PM
You're way overthinking this, IMO. Do whatever you want to it! Personally, I'd probably be thinking about making other mods, like pump peg if it doesn't have one, second water bottle braze-on, shifter cable stops on the downtube, and changing how the shifter cables run at the BB - frames back then typically had cables run on top of the BB, now they run underneath.

Louis
03-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Do it. Those housing loops are notorious rust-starters. If you remove them you'll be better able to get rid of the rust and sand down to the parent material.

4Rings6Stars
03-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Do anything you want to do to the frame that will make it more enjoyable to ride (or to look at). It's a Ciocc, which is a very nice old bike, but at the end of the day it's just that--an old bike.

...now if we were talking about a Confente or something I might try to dissuade you.

bicycletricycle
03-19-2012, 08:03 PM
do it, stops are practical and visual impact is small

binouye
03-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the input.

It already has 2 sets of bottle mounts, under BB cable routing, and pump peg. Removing the DT stops seems like more work....

You're way overthinking this, IMO. Do whatever you want to it! Personally, I'd probably be thinking about making other mods, like pump peg if it doesn't have one, second water bottle braze-on, shifter cable stops on the downtube, and changing how the shifter cables run at the BB - frames back then typically had cables run on top of the BB, now they run underneath.

dream_theater
03-19-2012, 08:19 PM
It's your bike and it will feel even more so when you add your own personal touches to it. I don't get it when people say not to do blah blah blah to a bike. It's your bike, your money, and your time. Do what you will and learn from those experiences.

FlashUNC
03-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Its not a collector queen, so adapt it so you get more use out of it.

No downsides I can see.

professerr
03-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Do it. Those housing loops are notorious rust-starters. If you remove them you'll be better able to get rid of the rust and sand down to the parent material.

Second this.

Fixed
03-20-2012, 05:10 AM
do it if it makes you happy
it is not like you are grinding / cutting stuff off and making a fixed gear out of it
cheers

redir
03-20-2012, 06:51 AM
Ok I'm gonna be the odd one out here and say don't do it :D

I had Ciocc in the 80's so maybe I'm partial. I also like vintage bikes the way they are. Generally speaking I would not make any mod on a vintage bike that cannot be reversed.

But it's your bike, do what you want to get her back on the road.

Oh and how dare you make a vintage bike post without any pictures :no:

:beer:

oldpotatoe
03-20-2012, 06:54 AM
I have a 1981 Ciocc frame (Columbus SL) that I'm planning to have repainted. After I strip it, I could braze on a pair of cable stops for the rear brake, along the top tube, and remove the (rusting) original little loops that hold the brake housing along the top of the top tube.

Pros: potentially better braking, since the top tube doesn't compress at all, whereas the long run of cable housing does some. It would save a few grams. It changes the look of the bike a little.

Cons: It would take an hour. It changes the look of the bike a little.

This is not a museum piece or especially rare frame, just a nice classic Italian road bike that I ride occasionally. I have the original / 80s Campagnolo components for it, but plan to rebuild with more modern alloy Athena parts after the repaint. I have a Soma sparrow bar on it now, will probably still with that.

Opinions? Would I be "ruining" the frame by modifying the rear brake cable run?

I have an 85 Ciocc and ground the top tube guides off when I made it a fixie, then back to a normal bike, use Campagnolo housing clamps.

I say do it, and if ya go the hots for a new lugged Ciocc, you can still get one.

R2D2
03-20-2012, 08:00 AM
I've modified my CIOCC over the years. Not like it's an original Cinelli or Hetchins.....

spacemen3
03-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Personally, I wouldn't do it because I always liked the look of a full cable run. Media-blasting will probably remove the rust from the cable loops, too. Regardless, make it something you'll enjoy riding. :beer:

R2D2
03-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Personally, I wouldn't do it because I always liked the look of a full cable run. Media-blasting will probably remove the rust from the cable loops, too. Regardless, make it something you'll enjoy riding. :beer:

The real problem was those early frames really needed an Imron spray job.
I think 10 speed drive used to bring some frames over raw and do an Imron spray and they sure lasted longer.

The enamels from Britain and Italy always seemed brittle and didn't hold well to the frame.

old_fat_and_slow
03-20-2012, 09:10 AM

redir
03-20-2012, 09:23 AM
If you so much as look wrong at a vintage Italian frame the paint will chip off.

Ken Robb
03-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Since I gather you are not planning to replicate the original paint/decals you are killing the value to a classic bike collector so you may as well do whatever you think will make it a better bike fro your riding. I like the split stops idea. I would not swap DT shifter bosses for stops on the head tube. With DT bosses you can use any kind of shifters you want while HT stops eliminate DT shifters as an option and on some frames cause interference of cables with brake adjusters.

J.Greene
03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
I'd do it. I have done it. While your at it use stainless guides and paint over them. They don't hold paint any better but if the paint chips they won't rust and the cost is only slightly more.

binouye
03-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks again to all for the good input.

The original owner raced the bike in the 1980s and it accumulated lots of chips, so in the 90's he gave it a quick rattlecan paint job on top of what was left of the original paint -- so there is nothing original worth saving in terms of the finish. Now there are chips in both layers of paint. That's why I didn't bother with a photo.

Stainless cable stops is a good idea.

I'd do it. I have done it. While you're at it use stainless guides and paint over them. They don't hold paint any better but if the paint chips they won't rust and the cost is only slightly more.