PDA

View Full Version : Be Proud Oregon

BURCH
08-25-2005, 01:52 PM
I saw yesterday on CNN.com that Oregon was the only state in the nation where the obesity rate did not increase in the past year. Today there is this article about cycling and oregon:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/diet.fitness/08/24/obesity.oregon.ap/index.html

This number really caught my eye: "Ten percent of Portland residents pedal to the office"

Kirk Pacenti
08-25-2005, 01:56 PM
we're moving there next year!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

BURCH
08-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Were do you live now?

I once biked thru Oregon and Portland. Definately had some good bike lanes going on in Portland.

Kirk Pacenti
08-25-2005, 02:11 PM
er, uh...I mean the great state of Tennessee. In beautiful Chatta-boogie.
That's Chattanooga to all you Damn Yankees!

We have spent a lot of time riding in OR, we loved it!

Cheers ya'll

Kirk "A Connecticut Yankee stuck below the Mason Dixon Line" Pacenti

FunkyPorcini
08-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Oregon rocks but I have to warn you, it's not as if the whole state is biker friendly. We have the country, big trucks, and low awareness just like many middle American states but Portland really helps bring the positive averages up.

SoCalSteve
08-25-2005, 02:20 PM
movie in Portland. I could not believe how bike friendly the town really is! They have bike lanes going down the middle of freeways. And, their bike paths have signage.

Steve

PS: I was there for a summer, hardly even rained....

shinomaster
08-25-2005, 02:28 PM

To Portland?? I'll trade you some cool pottery for some lugs....

hah haahah haha..

bulliedawg
08-25-2005, 02:32 PM

Kirk:

So, you finally got fed up with Choo-choo-ville. I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving the South, but I understand your desire to return to the West.

You should have seen Chattanooga about 15 years ago, when George H. Bush declared it the dirties city in America. I hand it to the city for getting its act together.

Kirk Pacenti
08-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Shino...

No probably somewhere between Eugene and Ashland.

But I am always looking for cewl pottery. Say, do you know Kurt Ferber?

Kirk Pacenti
08-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Kirk:

So, you finally got fed up with Choo-choo-ville. I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving the South, but I understand your desire to return to the West.

You should have seen Chattanooga about 15 years ago, when George H. Bush declared it the dirties city in America. I hand it to the city for getting its act together.

It's really not that bad here, we just don't have any ties to the area. In the last 5 years the city has made HUGE improvements. It's actually quite a cool city, but too stinking hot!

pdxmech13
08-25-2005, 04:25 PM
just a fair warning to those thinking about moving to oregon. It always rains,the streets are terrible,there isn't any hills,the beer in the nw sucks,and good luck finding fun things to do of the bike :banana:

William
08-25-2005, 04:39 PM
just a fair warning to those thinking about moving to oregon. It always rains,the streets are terrible,there isn't any hills,the beer in the nw sucks,and good luck finding fun things to do of the bike :banana:
Shhh, that's what I always told everyone as well. ;)

Hey Kirk, the Corvallis area has great riding. Any type of terrain you want just out side of the city. An occasional training partner who lives (or lived...I lost track of him) there and has raced all over the U.S. and Europe called the area cycling heaven. Some disagree but I loved it there. I also lived in the Portland area as well. Great place. :banana:

William

chrisroph
08-25-2005, 05:33 PM
We are very lucky to have high quality year round cycling here in extremely varied terrain. In addition, for the racers, we have OBRA and an incredibly vibrant and healthy racing scene with 300 or so racing days a year including road, track and cross. I feel extremely lucky to be a cyclist in Oregon.