PDA

View Full Version : Observations on 10 to 11

velotel
03-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Finally switched over to 11 speeds after having the various pieces I needed in hand since the fall of 010. Didn't switch then because I figured I'd keep the 10 group for the winter when the roads are pretty dirty with salt and crud. Spring arrived and I was going so well with the 12-25 cassette just kept going with it. And of course the fall of 011 arrived and certainly no sense changing since the road's will be a mess with salt and crud. Here it is 012 and I've finally switched.

First observation when I rode off was nothing was different. Felt just like before. No smack to the head that made me go wow, this is the best thing since whatever. Hand position is supposed to be different so I suppose it is but I'd need to ride a 10-speed and then switch over to my 11-speed to feel the difference. Which made me happy because I always liked the position with the 10-speed levers and was slightly worried that the new position wouldn't be as good.

Second observation was that nothing was different. Same crisp shifting, same firm feedback on the levers, same sweet performance. Note that I switched from Record 10 RD and levers to Chorus 11 RD and levers. After having ridden a bit now with the new stuff, I think there is a subtle but appreciated difference in the feel with the shift levers. I've got a compact 34/50 and like double shifting to keep the rhythm. As in changing chain rings and simultaneously shifting 2 or 3 cogs in back. That was something I really appreciated with Campy. And now that double movement seems even cleaner and more precise. I can clearly feel if I'm shifting 1, 2, or 3 cogs in back. No guessing at all. Nothing dramatic mind you, just a more refined precision than before.

And that's it. Nothing else. Except I really do like having the 27 cog while keeping the 16 cog. I always appreciated Campy's comment on why develop 11 speeds, namely if it works, why not. It works and I like it.

I probably ought to add at this point a few comments on how this is so much better than Shimano or that other company just to warm things up a bit but I can't. Hardly ever ridden Shimano and never the other company. Oh well, guess this will have to stay as a boring post with no flames burning up the net.

veloduffer
03-19-2012, 09:08 AM
I've got Campy 9, 10 and 11 speeds currently on my various bikes and really don't notice much difference. The 11-speed might be a hair quicker in the rear because there is less spacing and more cogs. Feel-wise, same solid shifting.

I still like Shimano (use it on my cross bikes, as I can use bar-ends too) and would have no preference. I have mostly Campy because it's good and was the gruppo that I lusted for since I was a broke teenager.

AngryScientist
03-19-2012, 09:11 AM
i agree with all of your observations, but will add that i think the new hood design is noticeably better for my particular hands than the last generation, which i liked quite a bit also.

thwart
03-19-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the post.

I'm in the exact same situation, have had the 11 parts but when the bike is working so dam well, you kinda hate to change things... but the time is now.

And agree with your double shifting to keep rhythm point. Watching my buddies riding the other stuff click-click-click away is funny.

redir
03-19-2012, 09:36 AM
So you're saying I should upgrade my Campy 8-Speed then? :p :beer:

Plum Hill
03-19-2012, 09:57 AM
How about the crap with peaning the chain pin?

fourflys
03-19-2012, 10:06 AM
I went from Shimano 9sp to Chorus 10sp to Chorus 11sp to SRAM... liked them all with the Campy hoods feeling slightly the best over SRAM for me... all three groups shifted great... having the ability to go down the cassette 3 at a time was cool at first, but I just saw it as a novelty since I don't race...

I never noticed a difference with the extra cog on the 11 though... went back to 10 cogs and never blinked an eye...

I do like being able to do my own chain now though... the Campy tool was the only one available when I had 11sp...

oldpotatoe
03-19-2012, 10:08 AM

How about getting one of those crappy snaplinks for 11s if you don't have a bike shop that can 'qui si parla Campagnolo'...

I for one am glad Campagnolo, who has been making their own chains for about 3 decades, put some thought into this new and most narrow chain, so, unlike shimano and sram 10s links, they won't break.

witcombusa
03-19-2012, 10:26 AM

Don't do it!!!!

Dan Le foot
03-19-2012, 10:31 AM
I don't screw with that bugger.
I'm using the KMC link on all 5 Campy bikes.
Dan

Lionel
03-19-2012, 10:44 AM
As I was an early adopter of Campy 11, I bought the tool. I bought a couple of quick links that I plan to use for emergencies only.

FixedNotBroken
03-19-2012, 10:48 AM
How about getting one of those crappy snaplinks for 11s if you don't have a bike shop that can 'qui si parla Campagnolo'...

I for one am glad Campagnolo, who has been making their own chains for about 3 decades, put some thought into this new and most narrow chain, so, unlike shimano and sram 10s links, they won't break.

I love the 11 speed Campy chains..not to mention they are quieter and smoother feeling than the Shimano and especially the other company. I feel as if the 11 speed chains would last longer than those with links? Do you see that Peter?

Plum Hill
03-19-2012, 01:01 PM
I use Wipperman chains and links on C-9 and C-10 bikes. I get the feeling the click I keep hearing on the C-10 is the link.

Not familiar with the IRD, but would probably give it a shot after watching the C-11 cahin videos.

Had KMC link on C-8, installed by the shop that sold the bike. Those were one-time links; not interested in that again.

Curious if any old chain tool can be used to pop out the C-11 pins.

Rueda Tropical
03-19-2012, 03:16 PM
I love the new shape hood so I grabbed a new generation Centaur shifter before the downgrade to power shift.

I was tempted to go 11 on upcoming new build but I'd rather have a 14-29/10 (combine a 14-23 with a 13-29) in the rear then a 12-29/11. More usable gears for me with the 10. Plus I get the impression that 10 speed is less fussy maintenance wise.

So for now it's 10 for me.

FixedNotBroken
03-19-2012, 03:21 PM
I love the new shape hood so I grabbed a new generation Centaur shifter before the downgrade to power shift.

I was tempted to go 11 on upcoming new build but I'd rather have a 14-29/10 (combine a 14-23 with a 13-29) in the rear then a 12-29/11. More usable gears for me with the 10. Plus I get the impression that 10 speed is less fussy maintenance wise.

So for now it's 10 for me.

Once my 11 speed group has been dialed in..it stays there and seems to only function better on every ride. I have a bike with Record 10, Chorus 9, Chorus 10, Record 11, and now going to be Super Record 11 and all are amazing. I am sure Centaur is great as well and I hear the stuff is bombproof and lasts a LONG time. The new generation hoods are incredibly comfortable though..

oldpotatoe
03-19-2012, 03:44 PM
I love the 11 speed Campy chains..not to mention they are quieter and smoother feeling than the Shimano and especially the other company. I feel as if the 11 speed chains would last longer than those with links? Do you see that Peter?

The links don't make the chains last longer or shorter. I sell IRD links, I sell a lot of Campagnolo 11s chains. If I install it new, I use the supplied pin.

Bob Loblaw
03-19-2012, 04:51 PM
I like 11 speed. I also like ten speed, and even 9 speed. I think I also liked 8 speed although it's been a while. I like Shimano and Campy equally, and will ride SRAM although it doesn't agree with me.

I think I just like bikes.

BL

fourflys
03-19-2012, 09:57 PM
I think I just like bikes.

BL

I think that's a common affliction here... and I agree! :D

Steelman
03-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Unless you cannot get find the 8v cassette that serves your purpose, it probably is not worth upgrading.

Rudy
03-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Unless you cannot get find the 8v cassette that serves your purpose, it probably is not worth upgrading.

On March 16, 1969, I got my first ten-speed. A Schwinn Varsity. Same date, 2012, got my second ten-speed: Campagnolo Record on a Waterford W-13. Ride regularly four eight-speed Camps with spares to last forever. No plans to "upgrade" the mid-nineties groups. They work splendidly, look stunning, and offer more performance than I will ever approach. Then again, my Waterford 1200 is all decked out with Super Record (6 speed and DT shifters) that would suit Eddy in his prime.

Rider, collector, and semi-poseur,

C.

oldpotatoe
03-21-2012, 06:37 AM
On March 16, 1969, I got my first ten-speed. A Schwinn Varsity. Same date, 2012, got my second ten-speed: Campagnolo Record on a Waterford W-13. Ride regularly four eight-speed Camps with spares to last forever. No plans to "upgrade" the mid-nineties groups. They work splendidly, look stunning, and offer more performance than I will ever approach. Then again, my Waterford 1200 is all decked out with Super Record (6 speed and DT shifters) that would suit Eddy in his prime.

Rider, collector, and semi-poseur,

C.

"Good enough for Eddy, good enough for me."