PDA

View Full Version : recovery advice?

AngryScientist
03-19-2012, 08:44 AM
my legs are trashed today.

went too hard yesterday. keeping up with the boys on my fixed gear. the weather was good, and a few jackasses were out to be heroes.

anyway, ride easy today or take the day off - that is the question?

G-Reg
03-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Ride Easy.

firerescuefin
03-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Ez spin

T.J.
03-19-2012, 09:22 AM

went too hard yesterday. keeping up with the boys on my fixed gear. the weather was good, and a few jackasses were out to be heroes.

What makes them jackasses? Serious question btw.

veloduffer
03-19-2012, 09:38 AM

My interpretation: sounds like guys/egos trying to hammer a group ride. If you hammer off the front, you're essentially riding solo and negates the concept of riding as a group, especially a ride advertised as a no-drop. Particularly inconsiderate if you know someone is riding a fixie. :bike:

crankles
03-19-2012, 09:39 AM
a disciplined spin...a "discispin"? 90-100rpm, super low gear.

keeps the legs "open" as coach would say. but keep it mellow and less than an hour. heck, all I really need is 20-30 minutes, more than that doesn't seem to make much of a diff, but not riding makes my DOMS catastrophic!

redir
03-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Try gears maybe? :D

Personally I like to just have a nice walk. Sometimes it's best to stay off the bike.

harryblack
03-19-2012, 09:45 AM
a respectful question and serious answers--

1) why are you messing with a fixed gear in NE Jersey begin with? track racer? the ** myth ** of "fixie" "souplesse" or ??? the idea you could ride NE Jersey hills in a single gear and not get trashed is rather unlikely. i mean sure, i could do Alpine Boat Basin repeats in fixed gear but why on earth would i, let alone the idiocy of going down?

(i don't mean this as contentiously as it sounds except for my strong anti-fixed gear for training bias.)

2) MASSAGE

3) easy spin LIGHT GEARS-- gears are good, gears are great.

4) compression socks don't hurt thoough whether they're placebo or genuinely helpful i can't say. i think they're nice to have around.

5) moderate exercise WALK.

Hartlin
03-19-2012, 10:15 AM
Brisk walk 30-45 minutes or 30-45 minutes light spinning on the bike.

That's my usual Monday recovery routine, followed by the foam roller, or a massage once a month.

William
03-19-2012, 10:23 AM
A short easy spin is in order imo. Just loosen them up and stretch them out a bit.

William

fiamme red
03-19-2012, 10:27 AM
the idea you could ride NE Jersey hills in a single gear and not get trashed is rather unlikely.I've ridden northern NJ hills on a fixed-gear many times with no more consequences than when using gears. We're not talking about the Pyrenees or Dolomites here.

AngryScientist
03-19-2012, 10:55 AM
a respectful question and serious answers--

1) why are you messing with a fixed gear in NE Jersey begin with? track racer? the ** myth ** of "fixie" "souplesse" or ??? the idea you could ride NE Jersey hills in a single gear and not get trashed is rather unlikely. i mean sure, i could do Alpine Boat Basin repeats in fixed gear but why on earth would i, let alone the idiocy of going down?

(i don't mean this as contentiously as it sounds except for my strong anti-fixed gear for training bias.)

i ride fixed gear all winter, until April. keeps me warm and moving in the winter, better exercise per unit time for me. also, no doubt that it makes me a stronger rider in the spring, no doubt about it for me experience. i've easily ridden centuries on the fixed gear here in north jersey, no problems. note, i said my legs were trashed - as in tired, a little sore - no injuries or anything like that. i generally ride with this particular group all winter, easily keeping up.

AngryScientist
03-19-2012, 10:56 AM

fair question. i say that because rides, with this group in particular, in jan/feb/march/early april are base training miles. LSD - long, slow distance.

new guys showing up to ride decked out in brand new 15k bikes hammering the pace, only to get dropped bad after 20 miles of 60 is, well....jackastic.

AngryScientist
03-19-2012, 10:58 AM
thanks for the advice all, i think i'll go for a brisk walk with my dog this afternoon. it's already about 68 degrees out when i popped out at lunch. sunny and beautiful.

zap
03-19-2012, 11:00 AM
fair question. i say that because rides, with this group in particular, in jan/feb/march/early april are base training miles. LSD - long, slow distance.

new guys showing up to ride decked out in brand new 15k bikes hammering the pace, only to get dropped bad after 20 miles of 60 is, well....jackastic.

Then let them go.............not hard to do.

AngryScientist
03-19-2012, 11:02 AM

dont worry - we did.

laupsi
03-19-2012, 11:04 AM
forget the legs, how's the resting HR? if you're a little high you probably need time off the bike, including the proverbial, light spin. take your walk, hydrate, eat and get a good night's sleep for re-evaluation tomorrow.

flydhest
03-19-2012, 12:17 PM
dont worry - we did.

Then how did the legs get trashed? Zap's point got my thoughts. (Zap, think of Chuck . . . ) if the point of the ride is LSD and someone hammers, they are doing it on their own unless others willingly join in, no?

For the actual question, easy spin. One of the real benefits of a power meter . . . making sure you keep it easy enough. Not necessary, of course. Just spin easy, much better recovery.

G-Reg
03-19-2012, 12:21 PM

Ding, Ding, Ding!

More people need the ability to let them ride off. Most chase and then bitch.

AngryScientist
03-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Ding, Ding, Ding!

i do believe that many of you have attached to the wrong emphasis of my question. i rode a little harder than i intended to, but, guess what? i had fun, good day in the saddle, though today i'm a little worn down. no big deal...

i'm not (and i suspect most of us arent) a pro rider, getting paid to ride and follow a structured training plan. i ride my bike to enjoy myself and contribute to overall fitness.

just seeking some recovery advice :beer:

redir
03-19-2012, 12:39 PM
I remember reading in Lemond's book that he doesn't touch the bike on recovery days. There is something to be said about stretching the same muscles in recovery i.e. going for an easy spin but also a day off the bike allows you to do other things which helps with burn out. Also as cyclists you need to do some exercise that has impact, thinking of the studies done on the bones of pro racers that look like osteoporosis.

T.J.
03-19-2012, 12:41 PM

If they are on 15k bikes and blow up after 20 miles they are ....well.....if you cant say something nice.......

As for LSD, i always thought the S was for steady not slow

Bob Loblaw
03-19-2012, 12:48 PM
I chase like a dog after a car. Uphill, downhill, flats, whatever. Hormone imbalance or something, but I know what I'm doing and I like the challenge. Two bikes going the same direction is a race and all that.

Something easy is probably best for recovery. 20 easy minutes on the trainer or a walk or something.

BL

Ding, Ding, Ding!

stephenmarklay
03-19-2012, 12:52 PM
This

http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-4290-Deep-tissue-Percussion-Therapeutic/dp/B0050NL1CI

Really.

nm87710
03-19-2012, 03:16 PM
i remember reading in lemond's book that he doesn't touch the bike on recovery days.

+1

roydyates
03-19-2012, 04:09 PM
i do believe that many of you have attached to the wrong emphasis of my question. i rode a little harder than i intended to, but, guess what? i had fun, good day in the saddle, though today i'm a little worn down. no big deal...

just seeking some recovery advice :beer:
jackasses is a provocative word that added the wrong emphasis.

Still it sounds like you had a fun day on fixed gear yesterday. So ... what did you do today? Ride, walk, massage, resting HR check? Forumites are waiting to hear! :)

bheight1
03-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Original question: spin no computer or take the day off and swap out the fixed for gears.

On the fringe of racing season (Bethel) and depending on the classification of the group B, A, , A+, AA--some guys Cat 2 & 3 are going to hammer, especially with the mild Winter we've had in NE. My official club season start date is in April, but depending on the class of the group ride guys are hammer'in and I'm happy for the work.

Pet Peave: your word, "jackasses" in groups that want to work together rotating through on the flats in paceline and then drill it on the climbs--if I have a read on this I'm going hard on the flats.

67-59
03-19-2012, 07:43 PM
I know this is too late for you today, but....

I live in Minnesota, where there are about 100 fewer nice riding days per year than I'd like. Because of that, my "off" days are always easy rides if the weather is nice....

:banana:

rbtmcardle
03-19-2012, 08:13 PM

"Dropped them right off the front" we like to say... I always chuckle at the thought.. Pretty funny after a bit to watch them look back and inevitably slowly creep back to the group...

AngryScientist
03-19-2012, 08:15 PM
... what did you do today? Ride, walk, massage, resting HR check? Forumites are waiting to hear! :)

today i just took it pretty easy. went for a nice 45 minute walk with the hound. got some ice cream on the way home. what a great afternoon out!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-l0QqZ1qkT84/T2fOxR-odZI/AAAAAAAAAyU/Yvsmk03zH-8/s320/Mama+1211.jpg

Liv2RideHard
03-19-2012, 08:40 PM
My recovery is 1 hr easy keeping it under 20 kmh. Foam roller after really helps out too.

beercan
03-19-2012, 10:50 PM
foam roller is key in my recovery and a nice ice cold glass of magners

redir
03-20-2012, 06:57 AM
today i just took it pretty easy. went for a nice 45 minute walk with the hound. got some ice cream on the way home. what a great afternoon out!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-l0QqZ1qkT84/T2fOxR-odZI/AAAAAAAAAyU/Yvsmk03zH-8/s320/Mama+1211.jpg

Good lookin' fella you have there. My mum has two and my brother has one. Love those dogs.

benb
03-20-2012, 11:43 AM
+1 to the foam roller.. but skip the alcohol and have a protein supplement and then get a good nights sleep.

jgueone
04-19-2012, 10:22 AM
ride easy get the blood flowing