PDA

View Full Version : Shipping advice needed

LegendRider
03-19-2012, 08:36 AM
Over the years I've sold a number of bulky items (frames, wheels, etc.) in the forum classifieds. And, until recently, I had access to a major corporate mail room where UPS pricing was very low.

I no longer have that option and I was shocked at the cost for shipping a pair of wheels via USPS parcel. I sent two wheel boxes (single wheel in each) from Atlanta to California and the cost was $64 (including $12 for insurance). I was dinged for oversize - but there wasn't much I could do about that since I was using Zipp boxes designed for bicycle wheels. The cost surprised me because I am being charged $22 by Excel to ship a new pair of wheels from Boulder to Atlanta. Why the huge discrepancy?

I hope to sell two more pairs of wheels in the near future, but I've got to find a more cost effective way to ship them. Any thoughts or suggestions?

pitcrew
03-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Did you send the wheel boxes separately, or taped/strapped together?

Also, if you have the ability to do so, I recommend getting your own FedEx/UPS account to ship from. I have a FedEx account and receive a discounted rate vs. their regular retail rate. Now, it's still not as low as a corporate rate but it's much less than what you're mentioning (to ship a pair of wheels).

akelman
03-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Two suggestions: first, like pitcrew says, get your own account. It's especially useful to go through Costco, which offers some discount on FedEx shipping. And second, ask your buyer if you can ship the wheels to their place of business. FedEx charges less to ship to businesses. As for UPS, I never use 'em, so I don't know what to say.

Spin71
03-19-2012, 09:38 AM
I just sold a set of wheels on here and it cost 35 dollars (USPS) for both wheels in one box. Not sure whats going on with how you're shipping.

Spin71
03-19-2012, 09:43 AM
I lied, it was 25 bucks. Florida to Ct.

Label Purchase Date:
Feb 27, 2012 07:17:26 PST
Total Postage Value:
$20.72 USD
Coverage Cost:
$4.85 USD
Total Shipping Cost:
$25.57 USD

Service Type:
Parcel PostŪ (2-9 days)
Package Size:
Large Package
Weight:
9 lbs. 0 oz.
Mailing Date:
Feb 27, 2012
Delivery Confirmation:
$0.19 USD
Signature Confirmation:
No
Display Postage Value on Label:
No
Total Insured Value:
$280.00 USD

Did you send Parcel Post or Priority?

akelman
03-19-2012, 09:45 AM

SamIAm
03-19-2012, 01:37 PM
Over the years I've sold a number of bulky items (frames, wheels, etc.) in the forum classifieds. And, until recently, I had access to a major corporate mail room where UPS pricing was very low.

I no longer have that option and I was shocked at the cost for shipping a pair of wheels via USPS parcel. I sent two wheel boxes (single wheel in each) from Atlanta to California and the cost was $64 (including $12 for insurance). I was dinged for oversize - but there wasn't much I could do about that since I was using Zipp boxes designed for bicycle wheels. The cost surprised me because I am being charged $22 by Excel to ship a new pair of wheels from Boulder to Atlanta. Why the huge discrepancy?

I hope to sell two more pairs of wheels in the near future, but I've got to find a more cost effective way to ship them. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I can ship them through my work for you if interested. Excellent rates.

victoryfactory
03-21-2012, 03:44 AM
UPS Shipping rates have increased every January for the last
several years. FedEx copies them. None of the shippers like
"oversize" boxes because they don't flow smoothly through
their automated systems. Also there is a hidden fuel surcharge
on UPS / FEDEX which fluctuates monthly with the price of gas
and can be as much as 10% for ground and 28% for air.
Finally, large packages like wheels and frames now ship as
dimensional weight not actual weight so a bike frame that
actually weighs 6 lbs can go as 50 lbs depending on the size of
the box you put it in.
Shipping stuff is no longer simple. The rules are very complex
and are not well understood even by some shipping outlets.

VF

tiretrax
03-21-2012, 09:08 AM
send them this method:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Boys_with_hoops_on_Chesnut_Street.jpg

cmg
03-21-2012, 10:03 AM
USPS parcel post will be the cheapest but it will take 2-10 days to get there.

weiwentg
03-21-2012, 10:10 AM
USPS parcel post will be the cheapest but it will take 2-10 days to get there.

Do people trust parcel post? I've had the fewest problems with Priority. First Class has lost a few textbooks I've bought or sold. Parcel doesn't seem to be trackable.

I'm annoyed that they no longer guarantee Priority within 2-3 days (correct me if I'm wrong) - I had a bike store Priority mail me something on Monday and it only arrived on Friday or Saturday. I thought USPS must have lost it or else the store mailed me late.

bobswire
03-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Best pricing for wheels is USPS , for frames and larger FedEx with your own account. I just shipped a frame from San Francisco to Brooklyn with ins. for $55. Wasn't that long ago a whole bike could be shipped cross country for under $50.

SpeedyChix
03-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Get your own FedEx account, easy to do, it can all be done online. Prep the shipping online as well. It'll still be OS1 and considered 35# or so for rate due to dimensional weight, but much less than USPS parcel post. For maximum savings you do need to drop the package at a FedEx facility rather than have them pick it up.

bobswire
03-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Do people trust parcel post? I've had the fewest problems with Priority. First Class has lost a few textbooks I've bought or sold. Parcel doesn't seem to be trackable.

I'm annoyed that they no longer guarantee Priority within 2-3 days (correct me if I'm wrong) - I had a bike store Priority mail me something on Monday and it only arrived on Friday or Saturday. I thought USPS must have lost it or else the store mailed me late.

I think it has more to do with the cutbacks in personnel thus putting alot of pressure on existing employees.
I was expecting a package that went to the wrong station and had to re routed back,twice this has happened causing an extra day delay. In both cases the labels were correct so someone made the mistake in sending them to the wrong station.