PDA

View Full Version : Hamstring injury

veloduffer
03-19-2012, 06:16 AM
I need some advice on a lower hamstring strain/pull that I incurred when riding about 3 weeks ago. It's just above the back of the knee, in the middle at one spot. Not serious but it's a tender; no discoloration.

I had laid off the bike for three weeks :crap: and it felt fine. But I tweaked it again on Saturday's ride. I could feel it as soon as I started on the bike, even though I was pedaling easy.

It doesn't stop me from riding (I still rode 35 miles) but it bothers me when I am pulling back on my stroke (from 5 to 9 o'clock position), especially when the pace is up or seated climbing. No problems with climbing when standing. I really wanted to ride Sunday but tried to exercise better judgement. :bike:

When I'm not riding, just sore walking and climbing stairs.

So is rest the only cure? How long? I hate to lose the best base mileage that I've had due to the mild winter.

I've taken some Advil for inflamation and have been doing some self massage, FWIW.

AngryScientist
03-19-2012, 06:28 AM
are you sure your saddle is in the right place? i only ask because you say the problem is evident when pedaling seated. i know my body is very sensitive to saddle height, that could be at least part of the problem?

RICE, RICE, RICE...

veloduffer
03-19-2012, 07:17 AM
are you sure your saddle is in the right place? i only ask because you say the problem is evident when pedaling seated. i know my body is very sensitive to saddle height, that could be at least part of the problem?

RICE, RICE, RICE...

Yeah, saddle is fine - the height is the same with all my bikes. I tweaked it the muscle fighting a cramp on steep climb at the end of the ride. I didn't notice it until the next day's ride.

It would appear that I am relegated to the trainer and one legged pedaling....

LouDeeter
03-19-2012, 08:52 AM
I would lower the saddle a little until it heals. If you need to climb, try out of the saddle rather than pulling with the hamstrings while seated. If it stings, then you have more than a strain, probably a tear.

peanutgallery
03-19-2012, 09:07 AM
I ended up on a zero setback post as a result of something similar. felt weird for the longest time but no more pain and my back feels better, too

veloduffer
03-19-2012, 09:10 AM
I would lower the saddle a little until it heals. If you need to climb, try out of the saddle rather than pulling with the hamstrings while seated. If it stings, then you have more than a strain, probably a tear.

No sting, just a dull pain. I'll try it with a lower seat -- 5mm or a full centimeter?

Thanks.

BobC
03-19-2012, 11:43 AM
ehhhh, I would hold off messing with your saddle height.

I blew my hammie out playing soccer, & about a week later I had a bruise in the back of my leg that ran from knee all the up. Took me easily 6 weeks before I could play again. here is my 2 cents.

If it has been a week and you don't have bruising, that is a good sign. Generally it means no tear (generally). But if you felt it knot up (kinda like you clenching your fist), then it could be more than a slight strain.

SPIN easy, then spin some more. Don't baby it, but by the same token don't try and crush it either. As stated before, RICE is the best treatment. I would take 2 weeks easy spinning & RICE, then start to work it a little. Give it some time -- hey you ain't 18 & indestructable anymore.

The way I would gauge how my hamstring was doing was by sitting in my office chair, putting my feet on the floor and trying to pull myself forward with just my legs (you'll be using your hamstrings to do it). That'll tell you everything you need to know in a very low impact way.

My final piece of advice is that now that you have "pulled" your hamstring, you at some point in the near future are going to have to strengthen it. Damage is done and you are now prone to future "pulls" if you don't try to address it.

Good luck!

- Bob

msl819
03-19-2012, 12:15 PM
I agree with Bob's last statement. I would add to that the need to properly warm up and stretch. Having dealt with a fair number of hamstring issue while a college athlete it was not until i learned how to stretch and warm up that the issues subsided. Years later however, pulls are still easy to come by if I don't stretch or warm up. PNF or partner stretches were what worked best for me. I had access to a trainer so this may prove more difficult for you if you don't have someone who can help and who understands how to provided proper resistance.

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/pnf-stretching.php