PDA

View Full Version : Campy bb all ISO? Crank removal issue...

kceb_cire
03-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Im having a bit of difficulty removing a set of suntour cranks from a campy bottom bracket.
The crank puller threads in fine, then the inner part of the puller goes in ok, but then stops, and I can't get it to go any farther, preventing me from removing the crank.
Is it because the spindle is ISO, and the crank sits too far out on the spindle?
Or is my cycling physique just not strong enough to remove a stubborn crank arm?

45K10
03-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Make sure the part of the puller that is supposed to make contact with the spindle is not hitting the crank itself. I know that my crank puller has different diameter pieces which snap into the end of the crank puller. If you have the incorrect piece in the puller it will make contact the crank instead of the BB spindle thus stopping it short.

pitcrew
03-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Is the crank bolt washer out?

kceb_cire
03-18-2012, 07:10 PM
Make sure the part of the puller that is supposed to make contact with the spindle is not hitting the crank itself. I know that my crank puller has different diameter pieces which snap into the end of the crank puller. If you have the incorrect piece in the puller it will make contact the crank instead of the BB spindle thus stopping it short.

I pulled it out and just int inner part out to make sure, and yes it is contacting the spindle and not the crank, so maybe I'm just a weakling : P

And yes, the crank bolt washer is out.

pitcrew
03-18-2012, 07:12 PM
I pulled it out and just int inner part out to make sure, and yes it is contacting the spindle and not the crank, so maybe I'm just a weakling : P

And yes, the crank bolt washer is out.

Well, only one thing left to do.....Git 'er done! :D

kceb_cire
03-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Finally got it off.... Just took more effort than any crank I've had to pull so far.

Another part of this question: are all campy bb ISO taper? The cranks and spindle appear un-damaged, though I was under the impression that they (JIS and ISO) are not compatible?

fatallightning
03-18-2012, 07:22 PM
They have the same taper degree, just different size. So a jis crank will fit an iso taper spindle, it will just sit in closer to the bb then intended.

Kontact
03-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Campy settled on ISO in the '90s, but previous cranks were very close to ISO, with small variations across models and years. Mavic tests concluded that the Campy Victory spindle was the closest to their ISO spindle back in the '80s, with other Campy groups almost as good.

While popularly commented on, I have good evidence that ISO and JIS are not even the same taper, let alone length. But aluminum crank arms are deformable, so it works when you stick an ISO crank on a JIS spindle. The opposite does not.