PDA

View Full Version : Campy Group Comparisons

UKBROOKLYN
03-18-2012, 06:46 AM
So here it is, would you buy a 5 or 6 year or more old Campy Record 10sp group or for near the same money a brand new Veloce or Centaur Group.

Surely the brand has got better and better especially the lower priced components. In other words does 2012 Centaur equal 2005 record.. where does that line get level.

Try not to be romantic lets talk real functionality.... it is a practical decision I need to make.

oldpotatoe
03-18-2012, 06:51 AM
So here it is, would you buy a 5 or 6 year or more old Campy Record 10sp group or for near the same money a brand new Veloce or Centaur Group.

Surely the brand has got better and better especially the lower priced components. In other words does 2012 Centaur equal 2005 record.. where does that line get level.

Try not to be romantic lets talk real functionality.... it is a practical decision I need to make.

2011 and 2012 saw a redo of the Campagnolo 10s(and Athena 11s)shifter innards to make them more along the lines of Escape type levers. One higher gear at a time and less positioning possible of the LH lever.

I would get a 2010 Centaur or Veloce over any older Record/Chorus but not the 2011/2012 Centaur or Veloce altho I think the 2011/2012 Athena/Centaur/Veloce stuff works really well. Gonna put an all ALU Athena on my lugged Waterford.

Aaron O
03-18-2012, 07:00 AM
I'd buy the older Record, but probably for a different reason than you think - it will holds its value better down the road if I ever want to resell it.

Dave
03-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Are you comparing a new-old-stock Record group, or a used group? A used group that old could be completely worn out.

One major difference is the shifters. The old Record group has the original ergo design, which is good, but does have parts that wear out and need replacement. A new Record group will have the new ultrashift levers and will be 11 speed. The ultrashift mechanism is not expected to need regular parts replacement, but the individual parts are also not sold separately. If something breaks, you buy a major repair assembly. A new Centaur/Veloce group will have the more limited function powershift levers. Same story with regard to shifter replacement parts.

Cranks are another major difference. The new groups have ultra torque or power torque cranks rather than the square taper BB design.

I always stay current when I buy a new groupo.

buldogge
03-18-2012, 07:29 AM
Split the difference...2010 Athena.

The 2005-6 Record gruppo could be worn out, or it could be barely ridden...depending on the owner! ;)

I really like the new hood shape AND I really like the way 11 "feels".

My 2c.

-Mark in St. Louis

uber
03-18-2012, 03:32 PM
I have Record 10 from 2004 (I think), and can't wear out anything but the cassette and chain. It works the way it is supposed to. I never thought the hoods on the 11 were that much nicer, but friends who upgraded to 11 like them more. One more gear does not make a big difference for most of the folks I have spoken to. I would base my decision based on which shifters you like the feel of.

stien
03-18-2012, 03:42 PM
Personally I'd go for the last year you could get multiple shifts to a smaller cog. Not sure which that is, but I'm sure someone could tell us.

Dave
03-18-2012, 03:57 PM
Personally I'd go for the last year you could get multiple shifts to a smaller cog. Not sure which that is, but I'm sure someone could tell us.

The last year for the ultrashift lever on the Athena and lower groups was 2010. For 2011, those groups got the powershift levers.

Ralph
03-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I've got one bike with 2010 Centaur Carbon Ultra Shift levers, and one bike with 2012 Centaur (aluminum) Powershift levers. I never down shift more than one at a time, and I don't prefer one of these over the other. Maybe if riding a compact, and going from one ring to another, and having to change a bunch of gears in a hurry, I might care. But I have a triple on one, and a 39-52 on the other crank. So "dumping" feature moot with me.

oldpotatoe
03-19-2012, 06:29 AM
I've got one bike with 2010 Centaur Carbon Ultra Shift levers, and one bike with 2012 Centaur (aluminum) Powershift levers. I never down shift more than one at a time, and I don't prefer one of these over the other. Maybe if riding a compact, and going from one ring to another, and having to change a bunch of gears in a hurry, I might care. But I have a triple on one, and a 39-52 on the other crank. So "dumping" feature moot with me.

Just built a Waterford with Athena 11s, 2012 and my own Waterford and these levers work really well. I doubt it will effect my sprint to the stop sign one bit, one higher gear at a time...and both are compacts. I think Athena for low end 11s and veloce for low end 10s(all aluminum) are great choices. The 'odd one' to me is Centaur Aluminum...identical to Veloce except graphics, color. If ya want some carbon and 10s, centaur carbon.