PDA

View Full Version : RIP Rafizi

kayten
03-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Our friend and ride buddy was killed this morning while riding by a hit and run driver. The filling station cctv however managed to catch the incident on video...

Louis
03-17-2012, 08:24 PM
The filling station cctv however managed to catch the incident on video...

Bummer. It won't bring your buddy back, but have they caught the driver?

stephenmarklay
03-17-2012, 08:29 PM
Very sad to hear.

akelman
03-17-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

Dave Wages
03-17-2012, 08:31 PM
So sorry to hear this, my condolences.

I gotta say, I went for a great ride today, but I was looking over my shoulder constantly wondering which drivers were drunk vs. sober?

Not that it will bring your friend back, but I hope they catch the driver and he actually gets a meaningful punishment.

rounder
03-17-2012, 08:38 PM
RIP. Sorry to hear about your friend.

tiretrax
03-17-2012, 10:18 PM
That's very sad news. I hope justice is done, unlike what we read about in so many other postings. Each time I ride, I pray it's not my last. The roads are mean and many drivers awful.

RIP Rafizi and condolences to those you left behind.

Fixed
03-17-2012, 10:37 PM
condolences

6mt
03-17-2012, 11:20 PM
very sorry to hear that.

it's very unfortunate that us as cyclists we constantly have watch over our shoulders. riding is suppose to be relaxing, and healing, not stressful, and fear for our lives.

kayten
03-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Bummer. It won't bring your buddy back, but have they caught the driver?
Over here, the driver has 24 hours to report the incident. He left his registration plates behind though. It won't bring him back, but I hope he will be brought to justice.
The perils of urban cycling and aggressive drivers...

6mt
03-18-2012, 09:54 AM
not sure if this makes any difference, but the internet has identify the plate of the car

http://flwrider.com/2012/03/18/a-rider-was-killed-this-morning/

firerescuefin
03-18-2012, 09:59 AM
Condolences. Certainly takes the joy out of riding when it happens to someone you know and care about.

slowandsteady
03-18-2012, 10:29 AM
The perils of urban cycling and aggressive drivers...

First - my sincere and deepest sympathies to you and your friends and the family. A terrible shame and awful experience to have to live through.

Second - it's not just the drunk and the aggressive drivers we need to worry about. They are a small percentage of the real problem which is the persistence of texting while driving which has to be banned and enforced more importantly.

Louis
03-18-2012, 01:02 PM
What a terrible picture. Looks like he was really hammered from behind.

not sure if this makes any difference, but the internet has identify the plate of the car

http://flwrider.com/2012/03/18/a-rider-was-killed-this-morning/

benitosan1972
03-18-2012, 01:09 PM
so sad, so scary... i was hit from behind once too, totally run over. i don't remember anything, i woke up in the hospital ER 3 days later. my condolensces, i hope the driver is caught

Wilkinson4
03-18-2012, 01:10 PM
This is terrible news and that picture is just... I'm speachless. RIP Rafizi.

mIKE

weaponsgrade
03-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Very sad to hear. I hope they find the guy - where did this happen?

majorpat
03-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Every cyclist feels a loss like this, Godspeed, brother.
Pat

martinrjensen
03-18-2012, 05:05 PM
FYI this happened in malaysia somewhere. Also, the driver (20 years old)turned himself in. He is saying that the reason that he didn't stop at the scene is that he feared he would (basically) get killed by the mob that was gathering. A very real concern I understand. Anyway, he's in jail now and they are investigating.
he must have really rammed that rider.

kayten
03-18-2012, 06:04 PM
FYI this happened in malaysia somewhere. Also, the driver (20 years old)turned himself in. He is saying that the reason that he didn't stop at the scene is that he feared he would (basically) get killed by the mob that was gathering. A very real concern I understand. Anyway, he's in jail now and they are investigating.
he must have really rammed that rider.

There wasn't any mob. It was 7.37am. It wasn't even busy. The most decent thing to do is to stop and help. His injuries are so horrific however that he died instantly. A passing off duty cop saw the whole incident and alerted another cyclist who was in front. When that guy backtracked, saw the team jersey and the bike, immediately alerted Rafizi's brother in law, also a cyclist.

It was supposed to be our regular weekend ride, however, most of the brothers were supposed to travel out of state that day. We cancelled our trip when we heard what happened.

We claimed the body, washed him and buried him...

martinrjensen
03-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Well that's pretty much what he is saying to the police. Probably the only defense he can think of for leaving the scene of the accident. I'm very sorry about your loss.There wasn't any mob. It was 7.37am. It wasn't even busy. The most decent thing to do is to stop and help. His injuries are so horrific however that he died instantly. A passing off duty cop saw the whole incident and alerted another cyclist who was in front. When that guy backtracked, saw the team jersey and the bike, immediately alerted Rafizi's brother in law, also a cyclist.

It was supposed to be our regular weekend ride, however, most of the brothers were supposed to travel out of state that day. We cancelled our trip when we heard what happened.

We claimed the body, washed him and buried him...