PDA

View Full Version : .

cat6
03-17-2012, 08:05 PM
The Gateway District is a large open air retail, residential and office complex in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States. The complex is centered around the historic Union Pacific Depot in downtown Salt Lake City. It currently contains over 105 stores and restaurants.

Louis
03-17-2012, 08:20 PM
The old GT "triple triangle." I'd say at that price you really can't go wrong - if it fits you. (although I'm sure there are stories of someone buying a similar frame on e-bay for $50) From here it looks like it's in pretty good shape. (the good thing about bare Ti)

If you think you'll ride it then buy it. It's a plain-vanilla Ti frame, with no decals, but the seatstays are sufficiently distinctive to make it interesting. And you can jazz it up with component color selection.

I've never ridden a road GT, just an MTB, so I can't speak to the ride.

Good Luck

bargainguy
03-17-2012, 08:50 PM
OK, the price is right. But let me ask you a question: If this weren't ti, would you still be interested?

Ti alone does not a bike make. I have no personal experience with ti GT's, in fact had never heard of one. There are fairly cheap asian ti frames on the market now -- would you want one of those?

If you have your heart set on a Moots or Eriksen, those are lifetime bikes. Yes, more cash, but also probably more satisfaction as far as build, ride quality, lifetime warranty with the Moots, etc.

I'm spoiled. I've had ti bikes and am now on an IF crown jewel ti. In my experience, they are not all the same.

Don

avalonracing
03-17-2012, 08:59 PM
I think it's cool. If it fit, for no other reason I'd get it for a unique "beater".

dream_theater
03-17-2012, 09:02 PM
I'd try it out.

cat6
03-17-2012, 09:07 PM
I had a "Shogun Samurai" with the triple triangle, made in Japan. The allure was the design. The appeal on this frame is two parts, first the frame design, second Ti. If it were aluminum I'd not look twice, steel, I'd look 3-5 times but ultimately walk away.

I agree on the lifetime bike vs fixer upper, however I think an old bike given new life can mean (to me at least) as much as a built to spec custom. Maybe I'm a sap but it's kind of like taking in a stray dog and treating it like it's part of the family (which I've done). Maybe it lacks the pedigree but has character and stories that it can't tell.

My last project was this guy:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=105576

Obviously an older and more storied frame than the one we're discussing, but same idea.

cat6
03-18-2012, 03:04 AM
After some beers, grub and company I've decided that I won't be enticed by a good deal. I'd rather the space and extra time. Will be returning the frame with a smile and a thank you.

If anyone not local to LA is interested in the bike I'll gladly put you in touch with the shop. Thanks to the folks that took the time to respond.

Fixed
03-18-2012, 04:15 AM
some guys love the old gt bikes
i knew a cat 1 that had one (steel)
cheers

atl001
03-18-2012, 07:17 AM
what size is it?

thanks

Earl Gray
03-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Go For it and don't assume you NEED to replace the fork.

Right it like you stole it.

wc1934
03-18-2012, 07:48 AM
If it is the right size, for 300 bucks I'd give it a try, especially if you have a groupo to throw on it. Years ago i had a steel GT, which was acceptable for my needs - I believe Lotto and maybe Jelly Bean rode GT's

fatallightning
03-18-2012, 08:37 AM
OK, the price is right. But let me ask you a question: If this weren't ti, would you still be interested?

Ti alone does not a bike make. I have no personal experience with ti GT's, in fact had never heard of one. There are fairly cheap asian ti frames on the market now -- would you want one of those?

If you have your heart set on a Moots or Eriksen, those are lifetime bikes. Yes, more cash, but also probably more satisfaction as far as build, ride quality, lifetime warranty with the Moots, etc.

I'm spoiled. I've had ti bikes and am now on an IF crown jewel ti. In my experience, they are not all the same.

Don
For the most part, ti GTs were contract built by litespeed, or maybe even spectrum. A bargain. If it was my size, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The alu fork needs to take a walk.

d_douglas
03-18-2012, 08:48 AM
My buddy has one and it is pretty nice. I comment on how it rides, but many have lauded the function of these things.

It's my size too!!!

HA HA - go for it.

The only thing is if your goal is to buy a Moots, don't get distracted by other things - coming from a guy who has bought many things as a distraction to what I really want.

firerescuefin
03-18-2012, 09:03 AM
If it fits ...rock it!

What size is it?

biker72
03-18-2012, 09:20 AM
You can't go wrong for $300.
Looks like that frame might be my size....hmmmmm.. :D

cat6
03-18-2012, 12:37 PM
It's 62cm c-t, 59 c-c, 19cm HT. It's a smalish, big guy bike.

lonoeightysix
03-18-2012, 12:39 PM
If anyone ends up picking this up, I can forward a source for decals in the UK (was able to resticker a GT Lightning).

To the OP, was the BB stamped Made in the USA? GT had some titanium welded up at Sandvik/TiSport, and some overseas in Taiwan...

cat6
03-18-2012, 01:07 PM
If anyone ends up picking this up, I can forward a source for decals in the UK (was able to resticker a GT Lightning).

To the OP, was the BB stamped Made in the USA? GT had some titanium welded up at Sandvik/TiSport, and some overseas in Taiwan...

No MUSA stamp, just a SN.

twolve
03-18-2012, 03:26 PM
I agree with the others. It looks like a cool and fun frame, but I'dwait for the frame you really want.

trangalang
03-19-2012, 01:56 AM
$300 is a SCREAMING deal. I'm guessing it's either an Edge or Forte.

I had a Reynolds 853 Edge and always wanted a titanium one. From what I remember, they've been going for $700+ on eBay on the rare occasion that they do come up.

rccardr
03-19-2012, 05:46 AM
I like mine. A lot. Would consider a new one at $300 a steal. These were VERY expensive frames when new.

This is a '98, made in GT's Longmont, CO shop. DA7700, Sugino compact crankset, Shimano hubs on Aerohead rims. Beautiful welds, rides like a dream. Although there were several runs of GT titanium frames, some made by Sandvik, some in the Longmont shop and others in Taiwan, I don't believe any of them were made by Lightspeed. Mine is the polished version, which I prefer to the raw titanium look, but that's just me.
Anyway, on to the good stuff:

http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/rccardr/98%20GT%20Titanium%20Edge/98GTEdgeTitaniumrightsidelarge.jpg
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/rccardr/98%20GT%20Titanium%20Edge/98GTEdgeTitaniumdrivetrain.jpg
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/rccardr/98%20GT%20Titanium%20Edge/98GTEdgeTitaniumReynoldsOuzorpofork.jpg
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/rccardr/98%20GT%20Titanium%20Edge/98GTEdgeTitaniumfront.jpg
http://i797.photobucket.com/albums/yy254/rccardr/98%20GT%20Titanium%20Edge/98GTEdgeTitaniumsaddleandstays.jpg

peanutgallery
03-19-2012, 06:07 AM
at first I was thinking what you are looking at is a later version that was built more than likely by sandvik because of the finish. polished finish and longmont stands out in the memory. however, the alum fork may make it an earlier version as the place in time where that was popular fits in with the time of the longmont shop heyday. during that time GT made a bunch of great bikes there including an awesome fillet steel. had an alum edge in ano red and it used to rawk! by around 97/98 they had a carbon fork

the story of GT ti at the time was one of a delivery problem. the ones they built in-house took way long to produce, made to order. other than that they were great for the time. by the time they figures it out, ti wasn't as popular and GT was sold to Pacific or something.

for the price, ride it and remember a time when brands built their own high-end stuff, in-house. long live GT and Riteway!

jgueone
04-19-2012, 10:24 AM
if you dont want it i will buy it from you

William
04-19-2012, 10:31 AM
some guys love the old gt bikes
i knew a cat 1 that had one (steel)
cheers

I'm one of those guys!! Gimme a Yama built GT triple triangle any day!!:cool:

William

RFC
04-19-2012, 11:10 AM
I was waiting for rccardr to post his beauty or I was going to reference the thread.

I have a real Ti thing and would snap that frame up in a minute for $300. I really like the distinctive GT triple triangle, as well.

Germany_chris
04-19-2012, 11:12 AM
at 300, I would have bought it even though it's not my size..

jr59
04-19-2012, 01:12 PM
I swear.... Why do I even open your threads?

All it makes me want to do is spend $$$.

:help: