PDA

View Full Version : Tire Direction Advice

foo_fighter
03-17-2012, 07:19 PM
I feel like a newb asking this, but I'm pretty sure the labels are misprinted on my Conti tires so it's really confusing. The label has <-Front Rear -> on one side but on the other side it has the same label in the same orientation. I would have expected it to read <-Rear Front-> to be consistent.

Now I normally place the front tire with the chevrons rotating with the wheel and the rear with the chevrons against the rotation for extra traction. This tire has tread blocks going every which way so it's not as straight forward.
The other complication is that I'm going to be doing a mix of road/gravel/dirt so maybe I don't need/want the extra traction (rolling resistance) on the rear.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaaMolDUyePw8iFN8AafMjyovXQ02ZQ dlwvhqPbSWZfK06GuKI

Thoughts?

Mark McM
03-19-2012, 08:22 AM
I feel like a newb asking this, but I'm pretty sure the labels are misprinted on my Conti tires so it's really confusing. The label has <-Front Rear -> on one side but on the other side it has the same label in the same orientation. I would have expected it to read <-Rear Front-> to be consistent.

I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. I once read a quote from a designer at a bicycle tire manufacturer who basically said that the reason they print directional arrows on tires is because customers expect it, not because it actually makes a different. He further said that if they didn't print arrows on tires, they had to field alot of customer service calls about which direction to mount the tires.

This is similar to why tire manufacturers put tread patterns on road tires - its not because it does anything, its there because that's what customers expect.

Ken Robb
03-19-2012, 11:03 AM
I have done some tire testing/evaluation for a major manufacturer of automobile tires. I was slightly amused that every evaluation form had, besides questions on driving dynamics, wear, etc, questions on how the tread LOOKED. It apparently matters in customers' buying decisions. :cool:

Bob Ross
03-19-2012, 11:13 AM
I once read a quote from a designer at a bicycle tire manufacturer who basically said that the reason they print directional arrows on tires is because customers expect it, not because it actually makes a different. He further said that if they didn't print arrows on tires, they had to field alot of customer service calls about which direction to mount the tires.

I remember reading that (probably the last time this topic came up in a cycling forum). I believe it was a designer from Conti who said that...although to be fair, my recollection was that he was specifically referring to road tires. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Sandy
03-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Color me stupid, but I do not understand your problem. I would expect it to give the same orientation on both sides. It is a single tire and both halves of the tire go in the same direction. By flipping the tire you did nothing to change the direction of the rotation of the tire. It should say the same on both sides, unless I misunderstand what you are saying.

I only have one directional arrow on my Conti GP 4000 tire. I assume front means face towards the front of the bike, and rear towards the rear. Assume both labels on your tire are opposite one another, for simplicity. The tire (whole tire) must rotate in a single direction, so those labels should be identical.

Stupid Serotta Sandy

DRietz
03-19-2012, 12:11 PM
I only have one directional arrow on my Conti GP 4000 tire. I assume front means face towards the front of the bike, and rear towards the rear. Assume both labels on your tire are opposite one another, for simplicity. The tire (whole tire) must rotate in a single direction, so those labels should be identical.

Sandy - many high end cross country tires have a rotational direction for being either on the front or on the rear wheel. The "Front" rotation is the way you'd put the tire on for maximum traction and the "Rear" rotation is the way you'd put the tire on for maximum speed.

Despite what many people think, this does make a difference. Pick up some Rocket Rons and you'll see what I mean.

godfrey1112000
03-20-2012, 06:18 AM
very dependable and worth the money, I have always used the arrow on the tire front or back as the directional rotational guide,

sold in separate boxes in one kit, marked "front- Attack" and "rear-Force", the rear is always the 24cm and front is the 22cm

usually two rears for every one front in the wear department

sometimes I work in a Gatorskin if the brevets or double centuries are on the schedule

Usually found for about $45-55 each v Msrp $145 for the pair

Product Description
Continental Grand Prix Attack Force Se 700c Tire Continental Grand Prix Attack and Force Set. Designed to work as a team, the Attack front has a softer tread for cornering, while the Force rear has a harder tread for long life. Features: Designed to work together and sold as a set Attack front features a 22mm cross section and 4-ply casing for lower wind resistance and lighter weight Force rear features a 5 ply 24mm casing for greater puncture resistance and improved ride quality Item Specifications: Color: Black/Black Width: 22, 24mm

I am sorry what was the question :bike:

foo_fighter
03-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

I ended up going with the knobs(individual) pointed forward on the front and pointed back for the rear.

I can always change it later, but I doubt I will.

The biggest confusion was that the direction arrows are contradictory.

rwsaunders
03-20-2012, 02:08 PM
On Gatorskins and 4 Season Gran Prix tires, there is a small directional arrow embossed on the black section of the sidewall...you really have to look. I'm not sure about the mtb tires.

victoryfactory
03-21-2012, 06:19 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaaMolDUyePw8iFN8AafMjyovXQ02ZQ dlwvhqPbSWZfK06GuKI

Thoughts?

I think what they may be saying is chevron points forward if mounted on the front to decrease
drag and chevron points backward if mounted on the rear to increase traction under pedaling. That's why they used the same sticker on both sides, because
they want you to read and interpret the obvious, clear, well presented instructions (maybe it makes sense to a European)

foo_fighter
03-21-2012, 01:02 PM
No, the indicator make absolutely no sense.

I just got a set of schwalbe(also a German company) tires and when you flatten it it out it looks like this:

<-Rear Front-> (the text is of course upside down)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
<-Rear Front->

That is what it is supposed to look like. The indicators are exactly lined up which helps. The point is that the Front/Rear direction needs to be swapped to be consistent

On my Grand prix 4000s it has rotation-> one side and of course <-rotation on the other side to be consistent.

I think what they may be saying is chevron points forward if mounted on the front to decrease
drag and chevron points backward if mounted on the rear to increase traction under pedaling. That's why they used the same sticker on both sides, because
they want you to read and interpret the obvious, clear, well presented instructions (maybe it makes sense to a European)

benb
03-21-2012, 02:04 PM
If you're talking about MTB tires look closely and I bet it is one orientation for the front and one for the back as previously mentioned.

The knobs on the rear tire need to dig in best under pedaling forces.. the knobs on the front tire need to dig in under braking forces.

I have seen plenty of X/C tires marked this way.

For road tires it seems like it's all pretty much marketing nonsense.