PDA

View Full Version : Best Floor Pump EVER?!

1happygirl
03-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Question for you gentle folks! I have had bad luck with house/floor pumps.

The S Forum/Paceline seems like it universally agrees the best frame pump is the Lezyne(and I thought it the topeak road morph) anyway soo..

What is the best floor pump? I really need one and don't have a ligit one that works.

Thanks in advance,

rnhood
03-17-2012, 12:29 PM
You will get a variety of opinions on questions regarding the best of most anything.

I have a cheap Nashbar and it has been stellar. The meter is accurate and fast responding, and the pump is not heavy or bulky like some. I also have a new Specialized pump which came highly recommended but I like the Nashbar much better.

I don't like Lenzyne because you have to thread the valve on. They are nice looking though so this might be important to you.

benitosan1972
03-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Modern = Lezyne
Classic = Silica

Both are expensive, so I just use Specialized Airtool = $30,
it gets the job done = puts air in the tires

Bruce K
03-17-2012, 12:37 PM
The only good thing to say about the threading on thing is if you use Michelin or other tubes with no threads. After a while with the push-on pumps, the rubber seal loosens up and they pop off the valve just as you're about to put that last 1 or 2 shots in.

But I'll +1 the Specialized pump. Relatively cheap and "gits 'er done!"

BK

1happygirl
03-17-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks Guys. Will look at the Nash or Specilized. Think the one I had probs with was Silca (had a wooden handle and cost $$)-even the Shimano tech had probs with my silca. still around in the parent's closet somewhere.

Want to be able to take with me too so I won't be out the bucks on Nash or Spec if I get it lost.

Thanks again.

Don49
03-17-2012, 12:51 PM
Think the one I had probs with was Silca (had a wooden handle and cost $$)-even the Shimano tech had probs with my silca.
That's the Silca Super Pista. Not sure why it doesn't work for you. That's the one I would have recommended. Only a couple of things can go wrong with it over time, the leather seal may need replacement, and I upgraded the pump head.

wooly
03-17-2012, 01:02 PM
Modern = Lezyne
Classic = Silica

Both are expensive, so I just use Specialized Airtool = $30,
it gets the job done = puts air in the tires

After my Park pump busted from 10 years of usage I got the Lezyne. It's berry berry niiiicccceee.

bicycletricycle
03-17-2012, 01:02 PM
silca super pista is best

Steve in SLO
03-17-2012, 01:10 PM
I have an old Silca pump that has been with me for 30+ years. It works well, but sits abandoned since I bought my Lezyne. The Silca is a great old workhorse, but I got tired of having it fall over every time I looked at it (it has the old tippy base).

henry14
03-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Have a Joe Blow Pro and Specialized Airtool Pro.

The Specialized feels smoother while pumping.

khatfull
03-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Specialized Air Tool here too...works really well and I can get my tubulars up to 150psi easy, when I want to run that that heavy anyway. Fun sometimes.

Louis
03-17-2012, 02:10 PM
The basic Silca chuck, which is held on to the stem only by friction, is a bad design. It will work well for a while, but because the retention force depends on how the rubber washer mates to the valve stem, which will change over time, it is doomed to failure. (In my experience, with multiple replacement washers.)

I finally gave up on the Silca and got a Joe Blow. Maybe not the absolute best floor pump out there, but it's provided sterling service over many many years. My Silca's been relegated to basement shop use.

Aaron O
03-17-2012, 02:23 PM
I've got a Specialized air tool comp and, as others have said, it's easy to use and it fills my tires. I've had it under heavy use for 4 years so I also like its durability. Is it the best? No clue...but it's good enough. I can easily put 160 into tubulars.

AngryScientist
03-17-2012, 03:37 PM
lezyne. best pump i've used.

the steel version is 50 or under if you get it on sale. that's not bad for a tool that will likely last 20 years IMO.

esldude
03-17-2012, 03:43 PM
You order the Lezyne thinking it is expensive. Then once you have used it you think "dang!
What a bargain". Best pump frame or floor by far.

gearguywb
03-17-2012, 03:57 PM
You order the Lezyne thinking it is expensive. Then once you have used it you think "dang!

This. Bought one a couple of years ago after my Specialized died (again).

1happygirl
03-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Good feedback Thanks.
Silca yeah as you guys said trouble getting the chuck (thingy to put on stem?) to stay on stem and would tip over also, PLUS hard to pump.

Want to correct these issues, esp want one easy for a weak girl to pump up the tires.

bicycletricycle
03-17-2012, 04:45 PM
silca pumps have a really small diameter barrel, i cant see how they could be hard to pump. Newer ones have a larger cast base which does not tip as often. The head can be hard to push on when the rubber gasket in new.

Matt-H
03-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Another Lezyne vote here. I got mine for $53. Money well spent.

veloduffer
03-17-2012, 07:00 PM
The basic Silca chuck, which is held on to the stem only by friction, is a bad design. It will work well for a while, but because the retention force depends on how the rubber washer mates to the valve stem, which will change over time, it is doomed to failure. (In my experience, with multiple replacement washers.)

I finally gave up on the Silca and got a Joe Blow. Maybe not the absolute best floor pump out there, but it's provided sterling service over many many years. My Silca's been relegated to basement shop use.

I have had my Silca pump for over 20 hrs and have only had to change the washer twice. I think it works well and is so simple to change, plus you don't need a lock to keep the chuck in place . I guess different strokes for different folks. :beer:

Louis
03-17-2012, 07:24 PM
I have had my Silca pump for over 20 hrs and have only had to change the washer twice. I think it works well and is so simple to change, plus you don't need a lock to keep the chuck in place . I guess different strokes for different folks. :beer:

Do you only use tubes with threadless valve stems? I think that maybe in that situation the washer might be longer-lasting and better behaved.

hainy
03-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Silca. Only use smooth valves is the secret.

beercan
03-17-2012, 08:23 PM
joe blow pro and ace isnt that great, the head fails eventually but todson has great costumer service an will send u whatever part you need to repair your pump which is quite often with heavy use, the specialized one that is similar to joe blow is great, i like their smartvalve system more and it is a bit more durable, havent tried the lezyne but heard great things about them, i like the silica for easy rebuild but the small pista one i have just seems a bit wimpy compared to the other ones, now i pump with an accurate guage would be lovely

Puget Pounder
03-17-2012, 08:39 PM
I have a Hurricane pump that works much better than my Planet Bike. However, I would be happy with either. They both pump air into my tubes...

Have you guys had many problems using pumps before? I have not really had any issues.

old iron rider
03-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Joe Blow has been good to me for about 6yrs now. My Silca is sitting broken,........again, but it is from 1982. My Joe just keeps going. It lived in the back of my P/up for a couple of yrs. Still works. If it quit tommorrow, I'd buy another one.

fiamme red
03-17-2012, 09:26 PM
I bought a Lezyne and regret it. I don't like threading the pump head on the valve stem. I'll probably sell the Lezyne and get a Specialized.

fjaws
03-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Craftsman C3 19.2 volt cordless inflator with Topeak Smarthead hose kit.

uber
03-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Silca Super with smooth valve stems. Perfect.

Louis
03-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Since we're talking about pumps...

I'm thinking of changing from full-size frame pump to a "carry in your jersey pocket" pump. My requirements are:

1) Relatively small and light.
2) Efficiency is a plus, but not critical - I'm sure my riding buddies will wait for me.
3) Retractable hose so it's less likely that I damage the stem or tube.

Anyone care to recommend something? (If it's Lezyne, be sure to specify the model, they have quite a few.)

TIA

tiretrax
03-17-2012, 09:38 PM
I have one that I bought at REI on sale ($20) a few years ago and never fails.

bargainguy
03-17-2012, 09:42 PM
I've had a few different Topeak Joe Blow models in the past. Whenever I ran into a problem with them, Topeak would help diagnose the problem and send me parts in the mail for free. Haven't had one in awhile, but thought it was excellent customer service.

Don

rice rocket
03-17-2012, 09:59 PM
I got a Silca Super Pista when it was on sale at RealCyclist. I sent it back immediately and ate the 20% restocking, I have no idea how you dudes use that thing. I use smooth valves, blah blah, that thing just fires off every time I get it near 90 psi. :no:

Louis
03-17-2012, 10:02 PM
that thing just fires off every time I get it near 90 psi. :no:

That's a design feature - lots of effort went into getting it to do that at just the right pressure. ;)

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one with that problem.

WickedWheels
03-18-2012, 12:23 AM
+1 on Lezyne. I haven't seen anything better.

There are two disadvantages to this pump... the first is that it takes a second longer to thread on the head than to push it on. The second is only if you're using tubes with removable cores. Then you just have to take care threading the pump head on.

Perhaps one more... I wish the volume was a little larger on the original model. They have come out with a larger volume model since, that I haven't used, so maybe that took care of the issue.

The good about the pump... no more broken valves. Very precise. Smooth operation. Rebuild-able. Well-made.

bagochips3
03-18-2012, 12:55 AM
Which Lezyne model do you all recommend? Worth the extra price for the aluminum base and connectors? Steel barrel seems preferable to me even though those models are cheaper (assuming steel is more durable and people choose aluminum for weight savings?). 120 psi is plenty for me. I would use it for road but also for cyclocross. I like the looks of the wood handled models. TIA!

hainy
03-18-2012, 03:03 AM
I got a Silca Super Pista when it was on sale at RealCyclist. I sent it back immediately and ate the 20% restocking, I have no idea how you dudes use that thing. I use smooth valves, blah blah, that thing just fires off every time I get it near 90 psi. :no:

Silca for 15 years and never experienced this problem.

cat6
03-18-2012, 03:12 AM
I have a Silca Pista, Pedro's Prestige and a cheapy Serfas with low/high pressure toggle. I usually use the Serfas, but it feels cheap, the Silca works great with no complaints. My girlfriend recently asked why I have 3 pumps. The Pedros is now in a box which will be hand delivered to a local bike co-op. They all work, YMMV.

Rueda Tropical
03-18-2012, 05:35 AM
The Lezyne thread on head unscrews the tip of the current Schwalbe tubes no matter how careful you are. So it's not just unthreaded tubes that it won't work on.

SKS Rencompressor is what I'm using -very nice pump.

Louis
03-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Do all models of Lezyne pumps, including all their floor and smaller take-on-the-bike pumps (frame and mini) have this screw-on requirement? Sounds like a pita and a real negative if every time you use it it extracts your valve core.

Vientomas
03-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Just tighten the valve core in the valve stem. Some folks loctite them in.

I tightened my valve cores and they do not unscrew with the Lezyne head.

MGS9500
03-18-2012, 02:34 PM
I have a Lezyne floor pump. It came with an adapter that allows for a quick connect to the presta valve. It also has a pressure release valve so the pressure in the pump tube is released prior to taking off the quick release head.

They sell at at the Lezyne web site as a slip chuck, but my pump came with it at no charge.

bking
03-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Another for Lezyne, BUT: get rid of the screw on head, pain in the butt. I just cut it off, pushed on a hirame, used small hose clamp to secure it, can't imagine anything better. I've used it 5 to 6 times a week for the past 4 years.

I also stopped buying anything with a guage mounted up on the body. Tips too easy and that can't be good on guage/accuracy--one broken as evidence. I've still got several other pumps, and tested most for accuracy of read out, some are 15+ lbs off.

Lezyne with custom chuck is the sweet spot for me.

MGS9500
03-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Ok, just found the image that has the quick release and bleed port.

It comes standard with the new pump.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/interbike-2011-new-accessories-from-lezyne-and-sks/190756

weiwentg
03-18-2012, 02:42 PM

I got the Classic Floor Drive for MSRP of $70. It's worked great. And it's wrenched the heads off fewer tubes than my cheap Park, which has worked in its favor cost-benefit wise. Lezyne does have a Sport Floor Drive for $50.

hokoman
03-18-2012, 02:56 PM

i've never had this problem with 15+ years with mine either.... i have a bunch of pumps including a lyzene, but usually reach for the silca since i don't have to thread on the head....

vqdriver
03-18-2012, 04:11 PM
topeak joe blow pro here. i don't know what exactly qualifies as best in the world, but i've been pretty happy with the topeak. inflates fast, flip on lock, consistent pressure readings, easy to use, tough enough to survive a couple drops without a scratch, and easy to disassemble and service if you ever need to, i haven't. the head is easy to use for both schrader and presta valves, and locks on with a lever. only issue is the size of the head can be an issue for my kids trike tires and for the trailer which takes 16" tires but has like 40 spokes..

brockd15
03-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Specialized Airtool here too. I've had one of the lower level Airtools for ~10 years now and have never had a problem. I also have two of the higher level Airtools that I got cheap, but I haven't needed them yet.

FlaRider
03-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Another for Lezyne, BUT: get rid of the screw on head, pain in the butt. I just cut it off, pushed on a hirame, used small hose clamp to secure it, can't imagine anything better. I've used it 5 to 6 times a week for the past 4 years.

I also stopped buying anything with a guage mounted up on the body. Tips too easy and that can't be good on guage/accuracy--one broken as evidence. I've still got several other pumps, and tested most for accuracy of read out, some are 15+ lbs off.

Lezyne with custom chuck is the sweet spot for me.

Did the same thing as you: bought the Lezyne and put on a Hirame head. However, the Hirame head has a tendency to pop off the valve stem at around 90 psi and I have to hold the head to the stem and pump with the other hand to go over 90 PSI, which is annoying to say the least. How do you keep the Hirame head from popping off? I lock the head onto the stem with the little lever as per the instructions. Any tips? Thanks.

1centaur
03-18-2012, 05:08 PM
Turning the rotating collar on the Hirame tightens it up. Too tight and you can't close the lever; not tight enough and it pops off at X pressure. Like Goldilocks, you're trying for just right. If closing the lever is REALLY easy, the ring's not tight enough. Looking for a hard squeeze. I use 100 psi and it's no issue.

mudhead
03-18-2012, 05:45 PM
+1 for silica - completely rebuildable and push on chuck do it for me.

flydhest
03-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Just got a Specialized Airtool Pro b/c the shop that sponsors my team (Bicycle Pro Shop in Georgetown, great shop, buy from them, make it clear that sponsoring my team is a good thing) sells Specialized. I had read good things about Lezyne but the screw on head thing confused me, never having had one in my grubby paws.

I don't love the Specialized, but I like it. I still would like a floor pump that is easier for my wife to use without having to put her body weight on it completely to fill a tire.

I haven't found pump nirvana.

Can someone do a head-to-head of the Specialized and the Lezyne and the Specialized and the Joe Blow?

Louis
03-18-2012, 08:20 PM
I still would like a floor pump that is easier for my wife to use without having to put her body weight on it completely to fill a tire.

Assuming you don't go for something with mechanical advantage of some sort or a two-stage system, the simplest solution to this problem is to get a pump with a smaller diameter barrel. Of course you then need more / longer strokes to get the same amount of air into the tire. No free lunches. The older Silcas have pretty small pistons. I'm not sure about the newer models.

bking
03-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Did the same thing as you: bought the Lezyne and put on a Hirame head. However, the Hirame head has a tendency to pop off the valve stem at around 90 psi and I have to hold the head to the stem and pump with the other hand to go over 90 PSI, which is annoying to say the least. How do you keep the Hirame head from popping off? I lock the head onto the stem with the little lever as per the instructions. Any tips? Thanks.

Odd you have this problem. You do have at the head of the chuck a "dial", has "Hirame" written on it. This is turned to tighten or loosen the lock levers grip on the valve.

bking
03-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Just got a Specialized Airtool Pro b/c the shop that sponsors my team (Bicycle Pro Shop in Georgetown, great shop, buy from them, make it clear that sponsoring my team is a good thing) sells Specialized. I had read good things about Lezyne but the screw on head thing confused me, never having had one in my grubby paws.

I don't love the Specialized, but I like it. I still would like a floor pump that is easier for my wife to use without having to put her body weight on it completely to fill a tire.

I haven't found pump nirvana.

Can someone do a head-to-head of the Specialized and the Lezyne and the Specialized and the Joe Blow?

I have all three currently. Joe Blow mine had guage up high, and guess it may have fallen over a few too many times. Guage doesn't function well. Specialized is a good pump, would use it if I hadn't found the Lezyne/Hirame combo. I still have it and it's ok. The Hirame valve just makes it easy to use, the Lezyne pump and guage seem precise.

Ozz
03-18-2012, 10:03 PM
I got a Leyzyne for Xmas and am impressed....my poor Zefal Husky with the Silca head has been retired to pumping up soccer balls and tires with schrader valves. After 19 years.....it was time.

Nags&Ducs
03-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Joe Blow and anything from Topeak basically suck. I don't remember how many have gone bad and/or didn't have a smooth efficient pump. Avenir, Blackburn also suck but just not as bad as Topeak. Silca is very good. I've never used Lezyne. But of all that I have used, the absolute very best is the Performance brand Hurricane Team HP. ABSOLUTE BEST I've ever used.

DHallerman
03-19-2012, 07:19 AM
Another disadvantage, I'd say.

That is, my older eyes prefer pump gauges at the top, not at the bottom as with the Lezyne.

Now you young'uns are most likely fine with that, but I do believe there are some others who like the gauge up high.

O'wise, I love Lezyne frame pumps.

+1 on Lezyne. I haven't seen anything better.

There are two disadvantages to this pump... the first is that it takes a second longer to thread on the head than to push it on. The second is only if you're using tubes with removable cores. Then you just have to take care threading the pump head on.

Perhaps one more... I wish the volume was a little larger on the original model. They have come out with a larger volume model since, that I haven't used, so maybe that took care of the issue.

The good about the pump... no more broken valves. Very precise. Smooth operation. Rebuild-able. Well-made.