PDA

View Full Version : Question for Campy Folks

khatfull
03-17-2012, 11:39 AM
Greetings!

I'm building up my Klein Q-Elite with a mixed Record 10 drivetrain. Most of the components came from a group that I'm getting from a friend that is a Record triple drivetrain. I'm a double guy and have gotten a double FD, carbon double crank, and 102mm BB. However, the RD I'm getting is the Record mid-cage, since it came from a group with a triple. Assuredly the mid-cage will shift any cassette just fine however:

- If I run a tighter cassette is there and advantage to the short cage RD?
- Is there any other reason I should look at the short cage RD over the mid-cage?

Also, I thought that for resale of the triple parts it might be more advantageous to have the full kit, FD, RD, BB, crank to offer as a group?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

maunahaole
03-17-2012, 12:35 PM
In theory, the short cage will shift a little crisper and quicker. Chances are, you will not notice a difference. If it really matters, run the mid and look for a short cage and replace it sometime in the future.

Ralph
03-17-2012, 12:37 PM
I would think you would do better selling the triple parts individually.

RE the RD. Some folks wouldn't be caught dead with a Med cage rear derailleur on their bike and like the looks of short cage better. I have both Campy rear derailleurs on my bikes, and can't tell any shifting difference.

Also, the Short cage will handle 13-29 on oneof my bikes, and won't on another. And if Campy were to make a 13-32 or I usd an IRD 12-32, would need at least a med cage. I like the Med cage size for a riding bike.

DRZRM
03-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Cross folks will pay a premium for mid length RD to run larger rear cassettes, buy a short and sell the mid, you'll make $50.

khatfull
03-17-2012, 02:54 PM
In theory, the short cage will shift a little crisper and quicker. Chances are, you will not notice a difference. If it really matters, run the mid and look for a short cage and replace it sometime in the future.
Thanks, I wondered...

I would think you would do better selling the triple parts individually.

RE the RD. Some folks wouldn't be caught dead with a Med cage rear derailleur on their bike and like the looks of short cage better. I have both Campy rear derailleurs on my bikes, and can't tell any shifting difference.

Also, the Short cage will handle 13-29 on oneof my bikes, and won't on another. And if Campy were to make a 13-32 or I usd an IRD 12-32, would need at least a med cage. I like the Med cage size for a riding bike.
Thanks for that. I think individually it is after looking at eBay and such too. I'd agree that the short probably looks better but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

The difference in shifting due to hangar lengths? I bet if you measured the hangar on the bike that doesn't shift is a tad shorter?

Cross folks will pay a premium for mid length RD to run larger rear cassettes, buy a short and sell the mid, you'll make $50.
That's good to know. Coming from the Shimano space mostly there's a little sticker shock on the Campy parts but, ah well, that's life. :)

Thanks folks for the advice.

Ralph
03-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Thanks, I wondered...

Thanks for that. I think individually it is after looking at eBay and such too. I'd agree that the short probably looks better but I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

The difference in shifting due to hangar lengths? I bet if you measured the hangar on the bike that doesn't shift is a tad shorter?

That's good to know. Coming from the Shimano space mostly there's a little sticker shock on the Campy parts but, ah well, that's life. :)

Thanks folks for the advice.

Yes.....One of my bikes has a slightly longer RD hanger than the other. I/m able to run a 30-42-52 or 53 with 13-29 and med med cage RD. Not supposed to be able to do that.

Ralph
03-17-2012, 03:10 PM
BTW....I know most folks don't use a triple for racing, and strong rides don't need a triple. And I know this old man looks dorky with his triple. But I love my Record triple. I'm currently riding it with 30-42-52 and n13-29. Sometimes 13-26. I just like the 42-52 combination, and I like that the 42 is slightly moved over VS a double, so I can ride the 42 over most of my cassette with decent chainline. A 42-17,16.15.14, etc makes a nice cruising gear.

RE weight of Record triple, or how much it adds VS aluminum double. The 30 tooth ring weighs 30 grams, the aluminum chainring bolts are 10 grams, and the bosses weigh something, not much. I think you save more weight going fom 13-29 to 13-26 than the triple adds over a double. And a 30-26 is a lower gear than a 34-29 with a compact double.

Mike748
03-17-2012, 04:38 PM
100g. Yes, I weighed them. Triple is worth every g to my not so happy knees.

For the op... med cage rd is more versatile and shifts just as well. Triple or 13-29, no problem.

Johnny P
03-17-2012, 06:21 PM
I would stick with the mid cage RD. I have one and it works just fine.

veloduffer
03-17-2012, 06:53 PM
I would keep the mid-cage, as it would give you the ability to put a large cassette 13-29 if you should ever need it. I have not noticed any difference in shifting between the short vs medium cage.

oldpotatoe
03-18-2012, 06:36 AM
Greetings!

I'm building up my Klein Q-Elite with a mixed Record 10 drivetrain. Most of the components came from a group that I'm getting from a friend that is a Record triple drivetrain. I'm a double guy and have gotten a double FD, carbon double crank, and 102mm BB. However, the RD I'm getting is the Record mid-cage, since it came from a group with a triple. Assuredly the mid-cage will shift any cassette just fine however:

- If I run a tighter cassette is there and advantage to the short cage RD?
- Is there any other reason I should look at the short cage RD over the mid-cage?

Also, I thought that for resale of the triple parts it might be more advantageous to have the full kit, FD, RD, BB, crank to offer as a group?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

-no advantage to a short cage RD over mid cage for your cogset.
-no

Triple stuff sells well altho Campagnolo still makes triple stuff in the Comp line.