PDA

View Full Version : rim choices

pdxmech13
08-24-2005, 07:02 PM
I want to build a set of my first tubi's. can anyone give me some advice on rim selection. Hubs will be da 7800 28 hole with 2.0-1.8 spokes,alloy nipples. I will be using them for everyday riding and weigh 145. thanks for your advice

08-24-2005, 07:50 PM
In tubular rims you don't have too much choice these days. The decent commercially available tubular rims are as follows:

1. Mavic Reflex: Good solid rim, available in plain aluminum finish and CD hard anodized finish. Reflexes have been known to crack at the ferrule hole, but they are a reasonable balance of light (under 400 grams) and durable. At your weight, they shouldn't give problems. No need for valve extenders. They have a really nice bed profile that fits most 22 mm tubulars nicely. This would be my first recommendation.

2. Velocity ProElite: These rims have returned to the market. They are bombproof and offer a moderate (30 mm) aero profile. They're a bit narrower than the Reflex and have a tire bed profile that fits some tires really well, others not so well. They are HEAVY, 520 grams or so. The deeper profile also makes them very stiff, which is a plus if you are looking for stiff but a drawback if you want a bit more resilience in your ride. You can find them for about $42 (check Roger at www.worldclasscycles.com for example), a bit cheaper than Reflexes but not so much as to change your decision.

3. Ambrosio tubular rims: Ambrosio makes a line of tubular rims that are often private labeled as Colnago, Campagnolo, etc. At times they've been superb, at other times relatively mediocre. Current rims are pretty good, but no improvement over Reflexes, harder to find and harder to replace.

4. Exotic rims: These are Zipp carbons and the like. At $360-440 per rim, they make some pretty fancy racing wheels, but I'd never train on them. Carbon tubular rims have erratic braking problems and can also lead to tire overheating and loss. Not relevant to this discussion.

5. NOS (New-old-stock) rims: This is the way to go if you are willing to do eBay and to hunt around a bit. It's kinda like folks who haunt old hardware stores looking for antique tools. I never pass a bike shop without inquiring about old rims. Most older shops have tubular rims from way back and most would be happy to part with some or all of them. You can find some real prizes that way, or simply find some Reflexes that go really cheap (I haven't paid more than $30 for a $75 Reflex CD or ceramic in the past couple years).

The issue with tire bed is important to choosing a tubular rim. You want the tire to sit with a lot of pressure on the edges of the tire bed (adjacent to the braking surface) for the best glued joint. Tires with stitching under the base tape tend to sit proud a bit (which is just about all tires but Tufo's) on some rims, and the simple match of tire profile to rim profile can add to the problem.

Choosing pinned versus welded isn't all that important, especially with tubulars. Both styles (which refer to how the ends of the extrusion are joined to create the circular rim) have minor advantages and disadvantages, but in the end the spokes hold the wheel together, not the join.

Machined sidewalls are a current style, but great rims were made without them. They take out small ripples in the sidewalls that you would otherwise have to true out, so they are slightly easier to true. They may or may not wear through faster depending on how thick the metal was to begin with and how much got ground off (I've found big variances even within one rim model).

Ferrules are almost ubiquitous, but they aren't necessary. You can get great rims without ferrules. They compensate for overly thin walls on rim extrusions, and they reduce manufacturing cost and quality control issues, but they also involve a bigger spoke hole (to accommodate the ferrule around the spoke nipple) and can increase likelihood of rim splitting. Some amazingly good rims are made with thicker walls at the spoke holes, obviating the need for ferrules. If you don't have ferrules, it's easier after building the wheel to push a small cork into the drilling from the tire bed and then use a small round rasp to shave off the protruding cork. This is called "corking" the rim, and increases the gluing surface and thus the quality of the tire mounting job.

Long e-mail, but hope this answers it.

dirtdigger88
08-24-2005, 07:58 PM
what he said

Jason

Fixed
08-24-2005, 08:13 PM
I have 3 sets of gl 330 's one mavic hubs 2 d/a hubs I saved these from the old days I have a set reflex with d/a hubs 32 holes they are nice and solid good climbing (ha ha fla.) good for sprinting mine are nice and stiff. Good luck wheels are personal find what you like and don't worry what your buds are riding I also have 2 sets of open pros one d/a one mavic hubs and cxp 33 d/a tubulars are way better i.m.h.o.Cheers :beer: :beer:

jerk
08-24-2005, 08:55 PM
mavic paris-roubaixs. find some buy them all and horde them.

jerk

bostondrunk
08-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Get some Campy Omegas or Mavic Mach 2's from Nashbar for 10 bucks each!

dsimon
08-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Buy mine I have wolber's (aero 20) never laced awsome shape 75.00 for both

David Kirk
08-24-2005, 11:09 PM

jerk

I've got three sets.........just in case. But they are so bullet proof I doubt I'll ever need them.

Dave

Spicoli
08-24-2005, 11:45 PM
Are dbrk's still up for sale? check his set in the classifieds. Duuuuugast!

William
08-25-2005, 05:03 AM

jerk
Oh!
Oh!
Oh!
I know where to get a few of these. Thank you for reminding me. To quote a a few characters from "Finding Nemo"....
"Mine mine mine mine mine mine mine mine mine
mine mine mine mine mine mine mine mine mine
mine mine mine mine mine mine mine mine mine"

Get some Campy Omegas or Mavic Mach 2's from Nashbar for 10 bucks each!

Campy Omegas.....One tough wheel.

William

kong79
08-25-2005, 06:15 AM
Mavic GP-4's with Campy Record hubs. Heaven on earth.

Andreu
08-25-2005, 06:50 AM
........been very very impressed with Ambrosios. I have heard the inconsistent remark but this has not been my experience and they seem alot more responsive than others of similar quality and price. The Mavics mentioned too are rock solid.
Interestingly, I had poor experiences with early Campag Omega rims - I was probably unlucky.
A

Too Tall
08-25-2005, 06:58 AM
11.4 keeps dishing out the goods...awesome tips.

PDXMECH13 - Do an ebay search for Mavic GP4s. These are not pricey, very good quality and will give that stellar tubular experience you are looking for. Some folks think they are the equal of the Paris Roubaix mentioned.

My personal preference for an all around fun tubular wheel is a balance between feel (not too stiff) and durable (400 gram rim)...that fits the ticket. EBAY is a good place to find them.

11.4 You did not mention the Velocity Escape? I've had good luck with that rim.

Argos
08-25-2005, 07:51 AM
My favorite rims are my "Training wheels" I have a set for road and a set I use for CX.

They are Mavic Classics Pro hoops, 32h, with Sapim Spokes and King Hubs.

Before you freak out about 32h wheels, think about it. These things are real Sleepers. They are bomb proof, MUCH lighter then ksyriums (over 150gms for the wheelset) and though my rims are black, they are basically the reflex tubular.

I did what the other guys were talking about. I horded the rims should I need when I found they were stoppoing US distribution of these in Black.

I LOVE them.

Fixed
08-25-2005, 08:05 AM
hey Bro Nice wheels that is one on my e-bay hunt list .cool set up.Cheers :beer:

Argos
08-25-2005, 08:23 AM
I also have the same Spokes laced up to 28h D/A 7800 Hubs and 303 rims, but it seemed like this conversation wanted to stay away from carbon. That said, the 28h 303's are pretty tough, and the guy that started this thread is like 145, so he'd have no problems.. All I'm saying...

theprep
08-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Along with TooTall's post, you have to look at the Velocity Escape. Super tough, machined brake track and fairly light. Mine weighed 391g and 394g.

This has been my main training wheelset on my 10 speed bike for 2 years now and have not touched them with a spoke wrench since I built them. I'm 175 lbs used DA 10 hubs, 28 hole, 14/17 front and 32 hole, 14/15 rear.

Even though I have not had problems with the rear rim, it would be cool if Velocity made the Escape Tubular in an Offset version similiar to the Aerohead OC clincher model.

PS - what ever happened to that Bontrager offset tubular rim the Jerk was talking about?

saab2000
08-25-2005, 08:42 AM
I have two sets of Velocity offset clinchers and have been very happy with them. I agree that Velocity really ought to make their tubular rim with the offset spoking as well. I'd probably buy a set.

Spicoli
08-25-2005, 09:04 AM
My nod goes to Ambrosio F20's, they have been very good to me and they are very light at 355gr on my scale. Actually I have had great luck with all of there rims. If you want some more material try the Montreal or Nemisis. The Nemisis seems to be a pretty popular choice for the cobbles so thats a good sign. Good luck, this is how my collection started, you just want to build/try em all.

David Kirk
08-25-2005, 09:20 AM
There's a set of Mavic Paris Roubaixs on ebay right now..........too many spoke for me but very cool either way. These aren't mine and I have no interest in them.

Dave

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAVIC-SSC-Tubular-Sew-up-Rims-36H-NOS-THE-BEST_W0QQitemZ7178598421QQcategoryZ56197QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

MartyE
08-25-2005, 10:00 AM
Fir Isidis is a nice rim, light and reasonably priced.
any of the mavic SSC's are keepers
(were the anodized blue/grey ones also Paris-Roubaix
or different model? )

Marty

Jeremy
08-25-2005, 12:09 PM
The Sun M19IIA is a very nice tubular rim that is inexpensive and light. It is available in 24/28/32 hole drillings. It has a low profile traingular shape similar to the Velocity Escape tubular. However, I have found it to be lighter and stronger than the Escape. I built myself a set with 28/24 spoke count and I am a big guy (240#). They ride great and are strong and light (1240g). Granted, I use 135mm spacing and do some other tricks to increase drive side spoke angle and minimize dish, but it would be more than strong enough for a 145# rider built stock into a 28 hole D/A hubset.

Jeremy

pdxmech13
08-25-2005, 01:21 PM
thanks for all the feed back. I've known about roubaix's for a while as well as gl330. I thought about carbon but already am thinking about getting some carbon rims for my bontrager rxlites for the supper wheels. i had a chance to demo some and was amazed at the reliable braking. these wheels I am building will be used for everyday use.

ergott
08-26-2005, 12:36 AM
Only one rim missing from this thread worth mentioning.

FIR ST120's. I had a set a while ago and really liked them.
http://websites4ever.com/ergott//c40.jpg
They are the only rim I know of that's still made the way they used to. They are pinned and not machined (not necessary). I like the way they look because they are about the lowest profile rim still made. They are more like the Gels or other NOS rims you find on ebay. They make their appearance every year in the spring classics so you know they are tough as nails.

PS gosh, I miss that bike :( :(

Fixed
08-26-2005, 06:32 AM
Ergott Bro you show off that is a pretty nice race bike you have, that is eye candy, you're one lucky dude no one gives you a bike like that you must have worked hard to get it, enjoy thanks for the view.Cheers :beer:

theprep
08-26-2005, 08:43 AM
Ergott

Where can you get an ST120 in 28 hole. I have a Isidis that I can't keep straight for nothin.

I'm 175 lbs, would a ST120 in 28 hole hold up?

thanks,
Joe

ergott
08-27-2005, 09:07 AM
I don't remember which importer as it was a few years ago. I can find out when I get back from Finland (Wed). I'll PM you if you want.

That setup was 28 hole (3X rear and rad front). I weighed 175 as well (a little more now). They held up just great. I used DT Aerolite spokes and AC hubs. It made for a very light wheelset. In fact it rivaled most carbon sets as well. Probably about 1400g.

PS Fixed: Thanks for the kind words. That was the most asthetically pleasing bike I ever rode!! :beer: