PDA

View Full Version : Ti post with ti frame

Dan Le foot
03-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi Gang.
I recently bought a new Seven Ti frameset and was running an older Campy ti post. I really had to torque down on the clamping bolt real hard to keep the post from slipping . I thought maybe the Campy post was 27mm instead of the more normal 27.2mm dia.
I just picked up a new Eriksen ti post. (A real beauty). But I’m having the same problem. Hate to over torque the bolt.
Is there a material I can apply to keep a ti to ti from slipping? Or is it ok to tightem away?
Also should I be using a anti seizing compound when using two ti components.
Thanks.
Dan

jds108
03-16-2012, 10:52 AM
I haven't had the same issue as you're having. I did have the opposite problem: a Syncros 27.2 post in a Merlin frame was tight. It started to seize and it took a shop securing the post and twisting the frame to get it out.

When the post came out there were very small chunks of Ti on the post that must have originally been material from the frame.

So all I can suggest is to use something to keep galling from occurring.

champ
03-16-2012, 10:55 AM
The seat tube insert may need to be checked and replaced by Seven.

Joachim
03-16-2012, 10:55 AM
I had slippage with a Campy Ti post in a steel frame. Also had to tighten it a lot more than I was comfortable with and yes, use anti-seize.

Mikej
03-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Hmm, seven uses a carbon sleeve in thier seat tubes, don't they?

Bradford
03-16-2012, 11:00 AM
I have an Eriksen Sweetpost in a ti Legend frame, never had an issue. Might be the frame.

bargainguy
03-16-2012, 11:05 AM
I'd use calipers to determine exactly what the seatpost and seat tube dimensions are. If you don't have one handy, borrow one, see if the LBS has one, or pick one up cheap for $10 or so at harbor frieght.

A 27.2 seatpost usually isn't 27.2....more like 27.15 or some such. Otherwise there's no way it would fit into a 27.2 frame tube. I measure the inside diameter of the seat tube at several different points to determine if there's any bulging or crimping.

You are correct in thinking overtorqueing the binder bolt is not a good idea. That's why I like to know exactly what dimensions I'm playing with.

Don

eippo1
03-16-2012, 11:09 AM
You might try some carbon grip paste (yes, I know there's no carbon being used) in there because it has a bit of grit to it and will help to keep things from slipping.

buldogge
03-16-2012, 11:10 AM
You could try some Ti prep or Carbon paste.

As someone noted 27.2 are never 27.2, there is also deviation between manufacturers...i am consistently finding Thomsons to be undersized.

I just ended up knurling a 27.2 Thomson below the insertion point because of slipping in my Chesini steel frame.

Good luck...

-Mark in St. Louis

Bob Loblaw
03-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Anti-seize specifically for Ti with copper in it. Nothing seizes like Ti on Ti.

BL

Dave Wages
03-16-2012, 01:26 PM
Anti-seize specifically for Ti with copper in it. Nothing seizes like Ti on Ti.

BL

Once it's nicely seized, no more slipping! Not helpful, I know...

Cheers,
Dave

Lorenz
03-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Hi,

had exactely the same problem (Ti frame + Ti post) - was able to stop slipping only when torqueing to 12mn (instead of 6nm). Tried Park/Shimano/Copper anti-seize all with the same "slippery" result.

Obviously it's just a question of tolerances in my case. My seat post seems to be on the lower end.

Anyway I found MY solution to the problem: CarboGrip from Effetto Mariposa (the guys with those amazing torque wrenches).

http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/carbogrip/

Although the name suggests carbon (only) – anti-seize properties for titanium should be excellent. I was a bit worried and therefore contacted them by email. Answer below...

Hello,
yes, we've always had very good results using Carbogrip on titanum parts: recommended to prevent slipping and seizing.
Best regards,

Alberto De Gioannini
EFFETTO MARIPOSA
Via F.lli Carando 62
12042 Bra (CN), Italia
Cell. +39 3403017376

And yes - it stopped my slipping post right away. Torque down to 7-8nm :-)

Cheers,

Lorenz

PS just be a bit careful with the spray mist – it's a little messy :-)

Dan Le foot
03-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the input folks.
Eriksen said that Seven may have reemed out the frame just a bit too much. I haven't heard from Seven yet for their take.
The post didn't slip this morning. But it was really torqued down.
I'm going to see if a LBS has the carbopaste.
I was wondering.
Will the ti's sieze if they are on the loose side to begin with?
dan

jtakeda
03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Yes. Ti will seize eventually if you just leave it in there. Make sure to use Ti-Prep.

wss
03-16-2012, 05:30 PM
.....Eriksen said that Seven may have reemed out the frame just a bit too much. I haven't heard from Seven yet for their take.....

My carbon seatpost is very tight in my Merlin Ti frame.
Read this on Hollands website.

Seat Post Protection

"Due to the natural elasticity of titanium, reaming out the inner portion of a tube does not always produce a round smooth surface. Holland Cycles’ single-point boring, while time-intensive, insures the inner surfaces of your seat collar junction are smooth and perfectly round, protecting your carbon seat post from point loading that can cause it to crack".

lonoeightysix
03-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Yep, don't run it dry. A mix of copper based anti seize and carbon paste may work. Have the post and seat tube mic'ed, the over/under sized issue is sort of common, even on the high end stuff. If you're not terribly wrapped up in aesthetics, try the doubled up seat clamp trick.

Worst case scenario, try some 3M spray adhesive, just make sure to follow the instructions, too much will yield the same problem.

oldpotatoe
03-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Hi Gang.
I recently bought a new Seven Ti frameset and was running an older Campy ti post. I really had to torque down on the clamping bolt real hard to keep the post from slipping . I thought maybe the Campy post was 27mm instead of the more normal 27.2mm dia.
I just picked up a new Eriksen ti post. (A real beauty). But I’m having the same problem. Hate to over torque the bolt.
Is there a material I can apply to keep a ti to ti from slipping? Or is it ok to tightem away?
Also should I be using a anti seizing compound when using two ti components.
Thanks.
Dan

Well, with 2 posts from different manufacturers and both slip-pretty sure it's a frame issue BUT if ya don't want to have the frame warrantied, go to a decent bike shop and have the seatpost knurled, using this tool.

http://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/blog/?p=308

Puts wee ridges on the SP, makes it essentially a little bit bigger.

jpw
03-17-2012, 06:27 AM
I use copper grease. I works with ti/ ti.

Kontact
03-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Hmm, seven uses a carbon sleeve in thier seat tubes, don't they?
^This is the most important post in this thread, and everyone ignored it.^

Seven's use carbon inserts, not Ti, which is probably the reason the post is slippling. You have to use carbon paste when you have a carbon frame or carbon post.

Some of the new carbon pastes are gritless. That's what I'd recommend.

Dan Le foot
03-17-2012, 09:34 AM
^This is the most important post in this thread, and everyone ignored it.^

Seven's use carbon inserts, not Ti, which is probably the reason the post is slippling. You have to use carbon paste when you have a carbon frame or carbon post.

Some of the new carbon pastes are gritless. That's what I'd recommend.
Thanks for the headsup Kontact
I have had the post out a number of times and didn't notice a carbon insert.
I may have simply missed it. Unless they forgot to put it in. (bought it new a few months ago)
I originally put grease on the post to help with the seizing issue and that may have been the problem if there is a carbon sleave in there..
Either way a LBS has the Carbogrip in stock and will pick some up today.
Stormy in San Diego today so I'll put the bike in the trainer and report back.
Dan

Dan Le foot
03-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Sure enough there is a carbon insert in the seat tube. Didn't even think about it. We have had 7 ti bikes over the years including two new Kish cross bikes. None had a carbon sleave. Looks like Seven does it to eliminate the ti on ti issue.
Looks like I damaged the carbon sleave just a bit. Small horizontal crack at the bottom of the slit. Structurally I would guess it wouldn't matter..Looks like a surface crack.
BTW
Should I or should I not line up the cutout of the seat clamp with the slit in the seat tube? Does it matter?
Thanks.
Dan

bicycletricycle
03-17-2012, 11:01 AM
i thought sevens have a carbon insert?