PDA

View Full Version : Natchez Trace

Cphiliphall
08-24-2005, 04:29 PM
Anybody have the book entitled BICYCLING THE NATCHEZ TRACE by Glenn Wanner? If so, would you be interested in selling it? I posted a classified, but have gotten no responses, and when I posted for info about Natchez Trace earlier, this book was recommended by a fellow forumite.
Thanks in advance,
Phil

jdoiv
08-24-2005, 04:33 PM
but I won't sell it. :no: My wife bought it for me. It is actually the book I mentioned earlier. My mistake was that Wanner wrote it alone and not with his wife. They wrote another book together that I use alot, "Bicycling Middle Tennessee". I can however go and pick one up for you from a local shop and mail it to you. PM me your contact info and I'll try and swing by and pick one up tonight on the way home. I could use a reason to go hang out at the bike shop. :banana:

John

Carlo
08-24-2005, 08:44 PM
If by some reason John's shop is sold out and he cannot get you a copy, I'd be glad to lend you mine. Only request is that you fill it with notes and return it. The Trace is a pretty nice ride, although some of the roads which run parallel are more scenic. For example instead of leaving the Trace at its terminus in Natchez you are better off getting earlier onto MS 555 and running into Natchez that way. Vicksburg is not on the Trace but is too close to "blow off", especially if you have any interest in the "War of Northern Agression" (as my wife refers to it). If you go to Vickburg try to stay at the Duff-Green Mansion an ante-bellum mansion cum B&B.
Just off the Trace is Port Gibson, MS., legend has it that General Grant thought the city was "too pretty to burn", too bad...we got food poisoning there... don't eat at "The Depot" restaurant. The prettiest part is the northern end near Leipers Fork and Franklin, TN. Riding Leipers Creek road which parallels the Trace is a nice route as well.
Have fun! The Trace is probably the best ride in the South-Central United States.

Cphiliphall
08-25-2005, 09:15 AM
I'll be sure to keep a running journal for the ride. I'll post it afterwards. I think we'll be going in the middle to end of October. We were originally slated to do it at the end of September, but the real world seems to make unfair demands on my play world all too often.
Thanks for the advice re routes.
Best,
Phil
www.cyclinglawyer.com