PDA

View Full Version : What's the best riding frame

stephenmarklay
03-15-2012, 09:20 PM
You have had or have now. This will mean a lot of different things to a lot of people and that's great.

I'm interested in steell race bikes of yesteryear or last year. Stage race comfort, stable and mans best friend.

No need to limit that to my idea of the best riding frame however. Whatever floats your boat might float another.

akelman
03-15-2012, 09:24 PM
My DeSalvo 10th Anniversary or my Ottrott, I think, though I have very fond memories of my Speedvagen and my Kirk, neither of which fit well enough to keep, or I'd still have them.

zetroc
03-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Mine's my titanium Strada Bianca.

4Rings6Stars
03-15-2012, 09:27 PM
My Indy Fab Planet X.

Very different and hard to compare, but I like it better than my MX Leader.

benitosan1972
03-15-2012, 09:46 PM
my GT Lotto and Saeco Cannondale were my best all around riding frames... aluminum, stiff, stable, and lightweight. i like carbon now, but keep these old guys around as backups & rainbikes, oops

Fixed
03-15-2012, 09:47 PM
a px-10 my dad got for me it was brand new ..

eddief
03-15-2012, 09:53 PM
i don't race, i just ride medium fast club rides usually with quite a bit o climbing:

2009 S-Works Roubaix.

i am fickle, but the Roubaix has had my nearly undivided attention longer than any.

have not owned the elite, but my Rex is close enough.

oops. that's a lie. early in the progression, i owned a completely gorgeous harlequin CSI with an F1 threaded fork. a little small and did not have much to compare it to so early in the game. oh yeah and the Waterford 2200.

Ken Robb
03-15-2012, 09:59 PM
Hampsten Strada Bianca ti by MOOTS with YBB rear end. Just as good as my Legend ti on smooth roads but with rough and off road capability due in part but not entirely to clearance for 35mm tires.

msl819
03-15-2012, 10:09 PM
I have ridden a Merckx Corsa 01, Corsa Extra, Merlin Extralight, Gunnar Crosshairs and an assortment of other newer rides that belonged to friends. The one I have kept is my Serotta CRL that is a shade too big (62L) but too nice to let go of yet. I even had it refinished. It is my favorite ride to date although I would love to try an IF Crown Jewel or Moots. Those two are probably tops of my list today. This is her although she now sports a red King hs, Red King BB, and a newer set of wheels with... you guessed it Red King hubs.

AgilisMerlin
03-15-2012, 10:10 PM
a mid / late 1980's gray Schwinn Prologue Prestige tubing - with cinelli and campy athena index.

loved that bicycle. Never remember building a bicycle so exotic.

http://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/1988/LightWeight/500/1988_04.jpg

prologue and paramount 1988 catalog

http://bikecatalogs.org/SCHWINN/MODELS/Prologue.html

Louis
03-15-2012, 10:21 PM
I hope that the OP gets the information he wants from the responses to his post, but so far there have been nine answers, each mentioning a different bike. Unless you start tallying frame material, I have to wonder if such a broad range of answers will allow him to draw any conclusions at all.

eddief
03-15-2012, 10:24 PM
it's about sharing. do you have something to share :)

I hope that the OP gets the information he wants from the responses to his post, but so far there have been nine answers, each mentioning a different bike. Unless you start tallying frame material, I have to wonder if such a broad range of answers will allow him to draw any conclusions at all.

Honey
03-15-2012, 10:24 PM
1) a free bike that works and fits
given that usually doesn't happen
2) moots vamoots-sl . if you ride one for the first time (and it fits) you'll likely have to get some sort of stain remover for your bibs

kinofaucet
03-15-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm probably in the minority for saying this but my favorite ride ever has to be my CAAD10. I prefer it to my ti bikes (vamoots, merlin cielo) and my carbon bike (tarmac).

AgilisMerlin
03-15-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm probably in the minority for saying this but my favorite ride ever has to be my CAAD10. I prefer it to my ti bikes (vamoots, merlin cielo) and my carbon bike (tarmac).

I was checking those out, at the shop, this winter. Liked the look. I used to work for Cannondale in the 80's, while attending high school :banana:

I like the look of the matte dark gray/black frameset. stealth

professerr
03-15-2012, 10:44 PM

An unconventional choice, to be sure. You must have something specific that you like about that CAAD10 -- please share more.

Peter B
03-15-2012, 10:56 PM
My Peg Marcelo
or Custom Llewellyn
or custom DeSalvo 10AE fixed
or custom Potts ti fixed
or custom Rex Randonneur
or Look 595
or 2010 Speedvagen
or Legend ti
or Ibis Silk ti
or IF ti Deluxe full rigid
or IF Planet X
or foldable fixed Tikit
or custom Teesdale fixed
or Caad 9

Depends on what I'm riding and why. I will say the lowly Cannondale is one HELL of a bike for the $$ I paid for F/F/HS! It's a totally capable race rig, quite stiff and comfortable for my frequent 100+ mile rides.

akelman
03-15-2012, 10:58 PM
My Peg Marcelo
or Custom Llewellyn
or custom Potts ti fixed
or custom Rex Randonneur
or Look 595
or 2010 Speedvagen
or Legend ti
or Ibis Silk ti
or IF Planet X
or foldable fixed Tikit
or custom Teesdale fixed
or Caad 9

Depends on what I'm riding and why. I will say the lowly Cannondale is one HELL of a bike for the $$ I paid for F/F/HS! It's a totally capable race rig, quite stiff and comfortable for my frequent 100+ mile rides.

Showoff!

benitosan1972
03-15-2012, 10:59 PM
You guys have way too much money. Holy moly

Peter B
03-15-2012, 11:04 PM

Sadly, the consequence is too little time. And so it goes...

benitosan1972
03-15-2012, 11:09 PM
Nice fleet though.

I agree. Around here, the rich have empty mansions, undriven Ferraris, and unused gym memberships... too busy working to afford said luxuries, and not enough time to enjoy said luxuries. If you wanna give up one of those bikes to a good foster home, I'll be a great parent and take them out daily, lol

Louis
03-15-2012, 11:16 PM

All that vampire-squid money has to go somewhere - it might as well support the bike industry. ;)

Peter B
03-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Nice fleet though.

I agree. Around here, the rich have empty mansions, undriven Ferraris, and unused gym memberships... too busy working to afford said luxuries, and not enough time to enjoy said luxuries. If you wanna give up one of those bikes to a good foster home, I'll be a great parent and take them out daily, lol

At ~550sf my humble abode hardly qualifies for mansion status, despite the 10 acres surrounding. True, there is a mostly dormant Miata in the driveway. But the bikes are all well-ridden; to work, into the Sierras, to other states, to other countries.

Lack of kids shifts discretionary spending options, enabling me to try variety. And believe me I do find the time to ride, just always seem to want more than I can get.

CaliFly
03-15-2012, 11:44 PM
I really love my Peg Duende. I can jump up hills and cruise down the other side...smooooooooth criminal. OTOH, my Lobster cross is starting to make me smile more and more.

esldude
03-16-2012, 12:04 AM
I wonder if the OP was interested in what floats people's boats as in what ride qualities more than just the specific bike though obviously the two are hopelessly intertwined.

I find a few areas of interesting results along those lines. One is at different times for different purposes I prefer one set of ride characteristics over another. I can be bowled over by something seeming to be so well designed for its purpose even if that purpose isn't really for my purposes. I sometimes have been very happy with something because it meets my needs and desires so well I simply have no complaint the bike almost disappears. Then the one that is the most fun and hardest to understand. That is when a bike doesn't have characteristics you thought you would like yet somehow you find an unknown and unexpected kind of ride you fall in love with. Those unexpected beauties are maybe the most satisfying.

One for me was a recent bike that had very quick response as in to think it is to have it happen. Yet somehow it is not at all a feeling of twitchiness instead a feeling of rightness. Almost a synaptic connection. So instead of feeling you must be careful and gentle or it responds too quickly it simply happens at a level which gives confidence.

Yet another of my favorites is plenty responsive enough, though a bit more stable. The ride you would want for a longer ride though not a touring type bike. It isn't about synaptic connections so much as an overall gestalt of completeness. Very pleasing though in a different way.

Now it is frustrating as the search for the one best bike is in fact an impossibility. Best for what, best for when. If for pure racing then it is simply the one fastest for you. Beyond that one area things get very complex and murky. Even worse is the search for the one do it all bike. Would be nice to find the one do it all bike and put limited resources into a superb example of one bike. But variety can add spice to life. The reason most people here have more than one bike.

I do wonder if owning too many bikes is a confusing situation. Like too many friends you don't know well. I think the optimum number is some handful. Maybe 3 maybe 6 something in single digits. Not to denigrate people with more, maybe it somehow suits them better. And I can respect those rare souls who have one good bike they use for much of a lifetime rebuilding or repairing as needed.

This all sounds very touchy/feely and I am not a touchy/feely kind of guy. Yet a dynamic system like a two wheel vehicle is so sensitive to geometry, changes in CG etc. etc. no two ride alike and no single bike feels the same for any two people. This has the effect to give them each a character. Just like people you know and value there are all kinds of worthy characters trying to pick the best one is not something really possible. You can only pick those you have found to be unusually good as points of reference.

wooly
03-16-2012, 12:21 AM
If you would have asked me 5 years ago what my favorite ride was I would've said a Colnago C40 that was stolen from my garage in 1999. As of today, my SpeedVagen is my favorite but my Sachs is gaining ground. It's too early to make any definitive statements on the RS but in 6 months I wouldn't be surprised if it takes the top spot...

kinofaucet
03-16-2012, 01:18 AM
An unconventional choice, to be sure. You must have something specific that you like about that CAAD10 -- please share more.

I suppose its my need to have a stiff bike above all else. While the CAAD10 wasn't necessarily designed as an ultra stiff sprinter's bike, it's significantly better than my other frames in regards to sprints and standing hill climbs.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not experienced enough to majorly differentiate between the "ride quality" and "comfort" of my bikes as I find them all to be quite comfortable.

fogrider
03-16-2012, 01:22 AM
hard call between my legend ti and my scandium rock lobster.

rustychisel
03-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Ah well, a friends steel Pegoretti was very nice to take for a spin, as was (somewhat surprisingly) a Principia Rex (alu), as is my custom Peter Teschner Scandium.

Hands down the most comfortable, fun to ride, spring in the tail and best to ride is the one I'd never give up. A 1964 custom Super Elliot road fixed, Reynolds 531 tubing.

yashcha
03-16-2012, 01:38 AM
Great question.

My top 3 out of about 50 frames in the past:

For fast riding
1) Canyon Ultimate Al
2) 1997 Ritchey Road Logic
3) Moots Vamoots

For adventure:
Zank cross bike with wide tires

vav
03-16-2012, 03:50 AM
1992 Schwinn Paramount Tange Prestige single speed. I felt I was on top of butter. That's how creamy that frame was. But.... just got myself a Tange Prestige Colorado LT (92 or 93) and I am hoping the ride to be even better.

alexstar
03-16-2012, 03:57 AM
In no particular order...

2011 Gaulzetti Corsa
2004 Cinelli Supercorsa
1989 Serotta TSX
2004 Serotta Legend
2004 De Rosa Neo Primato

duke
03-16-2012, 04:37 AM
A Calfee Dragonfly has become the favorite. Light and comfortable. To the point I am slowly selling off the rest of the fleet.
duke

bart998
03-16-2012, 04:43 AM
Woodrup Criterium.... very tight geometry/531SL, perfect balance of tight handling and just enough flex that it didn't beat you up...

Ti Designs
03-16-2012, 04:54 AM
Closest bike to the door with air in the tires...

bking
03-16-2012, 05:04 AM
sports car: 2011 speedvagen
do it all: Peg responsorium
touring: seven axiom, or elium, both good.
best manners (looking for the right word here): sachs

Elefantino
03-16-2012, 05:29 AM
Stage race comfort, stable and mans best friend.
At various points:

Specialized Allez Foco
Serotta Atlanta
Serotta CSi (although the Atlanta was better)
DeBernardi SLX
Specialized Roubaix Fact 9r

What has outlasted them all:
Serotta Concours OS

roydyates
03-16-2012, 05:38 AM
Sadly, the consequence is too little time. And so it goes...
If you had more time, you could upgrade from "frequent 100+ mile rides" to what, daily 100+ mile rides? :)

stephenmarklay
03-16-2012, 05:39 AM

Really don't worry about it. It is actually a real treat to her all the responses. Bikes can become emotional partners and I love the stories. I newly bought PX-10. Makes me think about my son and what I will get him when he is a bit older...

No limits and if there is any information to glean it will come from having more responses not less.

Take it away guys and gals.

As a note my first real bike stands out in my mind. It was a 1995 Serotta CR. Bought it new from Cycles Bikyle. I sent my measurements in and he sent the frame. Beautiful plum color. I found a guy local selling a complete Chorus Group (EVERYTHING) for $500 bones.

That bike was beautiful. Road like a dream and the Chorus looked like jewelry and it shifted like a Swiss watch. I am getting a little emotional :)

But damn if Bikyle didn't sell me a frame that was too small. I guess sending in measurements wasn't enough. But at least I know my earlobe length and the disparity in my femur length!

I sold that frame on this forum 7 years ago. The forum had an issue and my user name at the time does not exist and I don't know who owns the frame. I wish I could see it again.

In contrast my 2007 Tarmac did no wrong. It instantly fit well did everything I asked well and never got in the way. It also never gave me the tummy tickles either.

xodus
03-16-2012, 05:42 AM
Hmmmmmmmm. Well, I've been riding a Look585 for a couple of years now and have had 0 complaints. It does it all for me, (riding wise)!
Picked up a Cinelli Spirit tubing and Columbus Carve frame and the Look585 has been sitting, unridden.

stephenmarklay
03-16-2012, 05:42 AM

Have you compared it to the CAAD9? Just curious. One of these will be my build for next race season.

stephenmarklay
03-16-2012, 05:43 AM
1) a free bike that works and fits
given that usually doesn't happen
2) moots vamoots-sl . if you ride one for the first time (and it fits) you'll likely have to get some sort of stain remover for your bibs

Sick

witcombusa
03-16-2012, 05:47 AM
You have had or have now. This will mean a lot of different things to a lot of people and that's great.

I'm interested in steell race bikes of yesteryear or last year. Stage race comfort, stable and mans best friend.

No need to limit that to my idea of the best riding frame however. Whatever floats your boat might float another.

ONE? We only get one?

That's like asking who is the prettiest girl.......(or do we stay with best riding for that too? :banana: )

stephenmarklay
03-16-2012, 05:47 AM
My Peg Marcelo
or Custom Llewellyn
or custom Potts ti fixed
or custom Rex Randonneur
or Look 595
or 2010 Speedvagen
or Legend ti
or Ibis Silk ti
or IF Planet X
or foldable fixed Tikit
or custom Teesdale fixed
or Caad 9

Wow that is quite an endorsement. I have been thinking to get the CAAD9 for racing next year. The other poster mentions his Caad10 also. I am get one sooner rather than later. I like the 9 built in USA :)

William
03-16-2012, 06:02 AM
My Zanconato hands down. But Mike built it just for me so it should be.

William

phcollard
03-16-2012, 06:11 AM
Hampsten Giro 88 (Team Pro). Hands down. Best bike I've ever had.

Walter
03-16-2012, 06:15 AM
Overall, I used to think it was my C50...until I rode a Madone a couple of years ago. As comfortable with a bit more responsiveness.

Your question asked about steel. I had owned only Colnago steel frames since the early 80's. I had a Della Santa built for me several years ago and it gets the trophy for my most comfortable steel bike.

stephenmarklay
03-16-2012, 06:41 AM
This is a great thread. I have read each response.

Please keep it coming.

oldpotatoe
03-16-2012, 06:49 AM

In order

Merckx MXLeader, own now, from 1990.
Ciocc SL from 1985, hanging in the shop.
Mondonico Neuron tubed frame-great until it broke.

thwart
03-16-2012, 06:50 AM
Best riding bike... ? My Riv Romulus. No doubt. Makes every bump go away, almost, even with 23's. And in a sort of german car, non-floating, well-controlled ride way.

But... weighs 24 lbs as built, so not a great choice for 'fast' rides... or lots and lots of climbing.

AngryScientist
03-16-2012, 06:52 AM
My Merlin Odyssey would have to take the cake for my favorite ride. followed closely by my new-to-me Legend Ti. Honorable mentioned goes to the 'nago C50 that i rented for a little while.

victoryfactory
03-16-2012, 07:03 AM
1. Legend Ti
2. Litespeed Tuscany

25mm tires with ~95 lbs goes a long way toward making any bike ride better

VF

Fixed
03-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Hampsten Strada Bianca ti by MOOTS with YBB rear end. Just as good as my Legend ti on smooth roads but with rough and off road capability due in part but not entirely to clearance for 35mm tires.
that sounds wonderful ken do you have a photo ?
cheers

jr59
03-16-2012, 08:39 AM
The best riding frame?

Simple, 2 in fact, A very old Merlin, with the grease guard BB, and A 84 Trek 620. That doesn't fit quite right. But it sure does ride smooth.

My Spectrum Ti fits me GREAT. It rides very, very well. Not as well as the 2 above, but it sprints out better.

I guess it's a matter of how you define best riding.

Earl Gray
03-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Early 2000's Schwinn Fastback Pro made from the N'Litened aluminum.

Did everything right.

I've ridden Sachs, Serotta's, Treks and a few other bag name brands and customs, The schwinn was the only one that made me feel that my fitness level and riding skills were not worthy of the bike.

I was a fool for selling it.

fuzzalow
03-16-2012, 09:07 AM
The best riding frame is always the one that:

a) has the fit dialed in correctly, and
b) is the one being ridden in concert with great weather, simpatico riding companions, great locales, physically challenging or any combination of these favorite things. And the combination's are as infinitely variable as they are enjoyable. Ride is good.

As far as bikes, anything italian will work - I drank the grappa so any of those bikes had me at "ciao".

Peg Marcelo is probably the nicest and the one easiest to dial in a fit. DeRosa King 1st Gen. is the carbon frame that most rides like a steel bike and was the most difficult to dial in the fit. Colnago C50 handles the slowest so it feels the least exhilarating but on the right day & distance that quality works well too.

Fit and form (i.e. fitness) are the key drivers for how well a frame endears itself to me with fit as the deal breaker. All good form allows is to mask a fit that's off by a little. And being off by a little changes the handling, if not in the 1st hour then certainly by the 5th. Don't blame the frame.

axel23
03-16-2012, 10:50 AM
I have to agree on the Look 585. I've only had mine for a few weeks now, but it's been a dream. I knew it would be light, with climbing and acceleration benefits to match. Also, surprisingly comfortable for a bike that transfers power so well.

Hmmmmmmmm. Well, I've been riding a Look585 for a couple of years now and have had 0 complaints. It does it all for me, (riding wise)!
Picked up a Cinelli Spirit tubing and Columbus Carve frame and the Look585 has been sitting, unridden.

DRZRM
03-16-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm split between my late-90s Serotta ti Legend (comfortable, all day ride, predicable, balanced) and my IF SSR (CrX, much lighter, Enve 2.0 fork over the Serotta F1, feels...I don't want to say twitchier, but more nimble, maybe precise is the word). The IF feels lighter and seems to accelerate more quickly, but I have not yet put on the miles that will allow me to make a final judgement. Very happy with both.

I also love the absolute comfort of my Zank CX bike with BIG tires (28s on there now). Less saddle to bar drop, good for commuting if I am carrying stuff in a bag, not nearly as racy, but perfect for crappy winter commutes and dirt road riding.

JStonebarger
03-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Viner Pro-Team with genius tubing ('91? '92 maybe?). And it was even better with the original steel fork ("upgraded" to carbon after the original was damaged in a field sprint gone wrong).

A very close runner up would be my '81 Serotta CSI/7-11 bike, except it's just a bit too big for me. (And recently suffered four bent tubes in a run-in with a F-150.)

cnighbor1
03-16-2012, 11:50 AM
I have two Davidsons. One has oversize tubing. rides and handles great. but keep in mind type of tire and air pressure affect ride also.
Also have a new 56cm Davidson Impluse frame FS $795

fiamme red
03-16-2012, 12:18 PM
it's about sharing. do you have something to share :)Louis' best riding frame is his Kirk. Of course, that's assuming it ever gets built up, because riding a frame without parts and wheels leaves something to be desired. :)

ergott
03-16-2012, 12:21 PM
The best riding road bike I have/had is my Ottrott.
The best riding 'cross bike I have/had is my Zanconato.

I'm know there are others, but I have to say Mike Zanconato knows how to make awesome bikes and he's on top of my go to list of build builders. No personal experience with David Kirk, but he's up there too (someday I'll get one). I'd recommend Sachs, but he's not taking orders.

tv_vt
03-16-2012, 12:39 PM
I will also add a vote for the Look 585. Like the ride and fit so well I have two of them.

But I also love the ride of my Serotta Fierte IT. It's a tad heavier than the 585, so doesn't feel as nimble on climbs (or maybe it's something other than the weight), but otherwise, it's a perfect ride.

Bear in mind that things like tires, wheels, saddles, bars and stems make a huge difference in the ride. I've just gone to a bigger diameter bar and stem (31.8) on a 585 and it is noticeably stiffer and racier. Shape of the bars is better for sprinting and climbing out of the saddle in the drops (a la Pantani) than the older bars, too.

I figured you'd get a million different replies to your OP, partly because it was a little vague, and partly that's the nature of the question. It's like a koan that has no answer. But I am surprised by the number of Aluminum frames mentioned, especially Cannondales. I've never ridden one, although I've ridden Trek, Serotta, and Fondriest Al frames.

waynesulak
03-16-2012, 12:40 PM
The best riding frame is the next one.

eippo1
03-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Still have to read through the rest of the posts, but I'd have to say that I like having bikes that behave differently. I had a new Tarmac and Sworks E5, but they were too similar both in geometry and excellent ride quality. (and I liked the shorter HT on the Sworks better), so I sold off the Tarmac).

Now I'm getting to know a Ti Dean and I like it so far because it feels so different than the Sworks. I also love my Ironman Centurion because it's comfy, and has a nice, euro geometry.

Then there's my Bianchi Zurigo that I like but haven't loved due to the fact that I can't get the front end low enough. I will be changing that by installing some mini-v's and getting rid of the hanger.

Lastly is my secondhand, beat up Fuji Thrill. Nothing special at all about it, but it makes me feel like a kid again.

blschaefer1
03-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Tough call - used to think the best riding overall was my old my Ottrott. I recently got my hands on a Time NXR....and it is VERY sweet.

eddief
03-16-2012, 01:23 PM
the one you are riding now. and like Louis, the best riding one is the one that is next in line. everything in its own time.

Louis' best riding frame is his Kirk. Of course, that's assuming it ever gets built up, because riding a frame without parts and wheels leaves something to be desired. :)

Louis
03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Louis' best riding frame is his Kirk. Of course, that's assuming it ever gets built up, because riding a frame without parts and wheels leaves something to be desired. :)

Actually, my best-riding bike right now uses a $125 Nashbar frame. Apparently I'm not a very discriminating cyclist. That probably explains why I don't have any Rapha kit.

don compton
03-16-2012, 01:44 PM
Best riding bike... ? My Riv Romulus. No doubt. Makes every bump go away, almost, even with 23's. And in a sort of german car, non-floating, well-controlled ride way.

But... weighs 24 lbs as built, so not a great choice for 'fast' rides... or lots and lots of climbing.
My Riv Roadeo is my favorite bike. Its a little lighter than a Romulus, but still has the smooth ride and good handling of a Rivendell. I have had carbon, aluminum,steel and ti. I think fit and geo have more to do with one's liking a particular bike than the choice of material. :)

stephenmarklay
03-16-2012, 01:48 PM
I will also add a vote for the Look 585. Like the ride and fit so well I have two of them.

But I also love the ride of my Serotta Fierte IT. It's a tad heavier than the 585, so doesn't feel as nimble on climbs (or maybe it's something other than the weight), but otherwise, it's a perfect ride.

Bear in mind that things like tires, wheels, saddles, bars and stems make a huge difference in the ride. I've just gone to a bigger diameter bar and stem (31.8) on a 585 and it is noticeably stiffer and racier. Shape of the bars is better for sprinting and climbing out of the saddle in the drops (a la Pantani) than the older bars, too.

I figured you'd get a million different replies to your OP, partly because it was a little vague, and partly that's the nature of the question. It's like a koan that has no answer. But I am surprised by the number of Aluminum frames mentioned, especially Cannondales. I've never ridden one, although I've ridden Trek, Serotta, and Fondriest Al frames.

I found it interesting that steel although real may not be the best ride in the stable!

scottyjames
03-16-2012, 02:17 PM
Schwinn Sting-Ray: red frame, black banana seat, lo-rise sissy bar, slicks.

Steelman
03-16-2012, 02:29 PM
NOS Basso Loto SLX, a cheap eBay find, ended up liking it much better than my big bucks Tommasini Tecno or DeRosa. (Sold those last two).

Tied for first: Rossin Ghibli SLX.

zott28
03-16-2012, 04:36 PM
This tread has made me think back to all the frames I've had, and think of them in ways I've never thought of.

Cannondale R600- Too big never got comfortable on it.
LeMond Alpe d'Huez- I really like that bike now that I think back on it, sold it because I got made fun of by my friends for having a triple, lame I know.
Orbea lubuar 100- Really liked it this bike too, don't remember why I got rid of it, but it was the best fit bike I've had. Fast and comfortable. Alu with a complete carbon rear. I think I'd buy one again.
Colnago Master- Bought while surfing ebay and drinking too much scotch. I felt like it was too much when I was riding it, like I didn't want to scratch it. Like an old man having a classic car. Sold it for more than I bought it for, so it ended well.
Litespeed Icon- Fast, maybe a little too racy, and I had to put a smaller stem on it than I like riding.
BMC Pro Machine, so far best bike I've owned for almost all reasons, fits perfect, super fast, super comfortable, handles better than anything I've ridden, looks cool.

I might be forgeting some, seems like I've gone thru more frames than that, but they must not have been that great if I can't rememeber.

Johnny P
03-16-2012, 06:35 PM
My 1998 Titanium Serotta.

martinrjensen
03-16-2012, 06:54 PM
bikes are like wine. There are good ones and bad ones but not a best one. if you think you have tried the best wine in the world, you just need to drink more and diferent types of wine. All (back to bikes now) have distinct charactistics that if you can define them and notice, you will appreciate when you ride it. This is the best thing about having many bikes. You can have many differnt bikes and ride them all, no problem. Try that with women, go ahead, I dare ya....

93legendti
03-16-2012, 08:04 PM
My Ottrott ST and Kirk JKS with Terraplane stays.
The coupled Ti Spectrum I had was in the same categorie.

stephenmarklay
03-17-2012, 05:49 AM
bikes are like wine. There are good ones and bad ones but not a best one. if you think you have tried the best wine in the world, you just need to drink more and diferent types of wine. All (back to bikes now) have distinct charactistics that if you can define them and notice, you will appreciate when you ride it. This is the best thing about having many bikes. You can have many differnt bikes and ride them all, no problem. Try that with women, go ahead, I dare ya....

From your signature perhaps it looks like you have been fraternizing with some classic bikes. Do you dare tell all?

Matt Barkley
03-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Casati EM2 (w U2 tubing) wins because of 1 1/8" steerer but...
ties with DeRosa Merak Deda SC61 10A
ties with Masi/Pegoretti Deda EOM 16.5 steel

...just what I like. Quick, light, nimble, comfortable! they make you want to ride faster and and harder on the flats and up any hill.

tacopropelled
03-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Before i broke it, my Bianchi veloce with the weird stays that they used for a bit was my favorite. It was stiff and fun, and occasionally made me feel like an overgrown kid on a giant bmx.

Had a few road bikes between then and now that left me feeling flat.

My club special shares a lot of the qualities my bianchi had. It just puts a smile on my face when I get on it.

Jack Brunk
03-18-2012, 09:03 PM
Hard to say what material when great design is added in. A pegoretti CCKMP with the lighweight U2 tubing was the best climing and all around all day 15k climbing day.
A peg love #3 with scandium tubing was right up there as well. I'm really digging my new Primus Mootry 29er steel hardtail. Smooth, fantastic power output and the design is outstanding. I do believe that design and fab is a large part of the total equation when it comes to the best bike.

kramnnim
03-18-2012, 09:13 PM
I would've cast another vote for the Look 585, but I've enjoyed the 586 I just got...seems to be a slight improvement.

cuda2k
03-18-2012, 09:31 PM
The best of the short list I've had the pleasure to ride thus far, would likely be my 83 Gazelle Champion Mondial AB-Frame, full 531c. Quicker to respond than my Serotta Nova, but still provides stage-race levels of comfort in my opinion. Currently built with a mix of Campy 10sp parts and Campy/Open Pro wheels.

But ask me again in 6mo and I will probably be happy to describe the ride of a Kirk JKS-C with terraplane stays.

lavi
03-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Don't know why, but it was my Merckx MXL. I sold it of course.

fiataccompli
03-19-2012, 07:13 AM
impossible question to answer, I think. If anything I think my Columbus SL 1986 (or so) Bertoni Professionale (56cm frame) in a retro-modern build w/ 10spd Record & anti-weight-weenie Brooks B17, 36 spoke wheelset, is perhaps my favorite...though it is not the first one I will reach for each time.

I keep building and tweaking things to find that ideal frame/fit/ride, but I think in truth what was said above about wines applies quite appropriately. What kind of riding I'm in the mood for may also come into play too...

DarkStar
11-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Toss up between my Colorado Ti and the Goodrich. My '85 Gios Torino SR was very smooth, great long distance bike, never raced, far too nice to trash in some silly crit, and too whippy for my 190lbs.

cnighbor1
11-27-2012, 11:11 PM
If you want to just float along with all bumps being minimized than it is my 1959
Hecthins

Steve in SLO
11-27-2012, 11:17 PM
I can't pick just one, but amongst the notables have been:
Specialized S-Works M2
Merckx Team SC
Anvil Chisel
Speedvagen road
Moots Psychlo-X
Meivici
Black Sheep 29er

I still own 5 of them.

dlui
11-27-2012, 11:37 PM
I love my Bridgestone Velo 3000, came out before the RB series. Bought frameset at a swap many years ago, built it up with DA 8sp. still part of my stable.

slidey
11-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Winner: Ridley Excalibur.

Competitors: Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Premium

veggieburger
11-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Here's a little more of a generic answer - a cross bike.

I appreciate the relaxed angles, generally wider tires, more upright riding position and forgiving gearing. You have the ability to go plenty fast, and also ride dirt trails. Plus cross bikes are just...fun.

jr59
11-28-2012, 09:46 AM
The best riding frame?

Simple, 2 in fact, A very old Merlin, with the grease guard BB, and A 84 Trek 620. That doesn't fit quite right. But it sure does ride smooth.

My Spectrum Ti fits me GREAT. It rides very, very well. Not as well as the 2 above, but it sprints out better.

I guess it's a matter of how you define best riding.

I want to change my vote!

The Ellis that I got from SamIam is by far the best riding frame I have ever been on.

davidj
02-04-2013, 05:21 AM
I vote for my Tommasini Sintesi. But I'm sure my friend likes his Pinarello.

cogclog
02-05-2013, 09:16 PM
I've got a 1980's Columbus SLX Marinoni Special that I had turned into a travel bike a couple of years ago which fits me better than any other bike I have owned. Nothing fancy and stock geometry (57x57) but so comfortable and fun to ride. Maybe it's because I only get to use it once or twice a year.

Len J
02-05-2013, 09:33 PM
My 5 yo Sachs signature. It cured my bike lust. The more I push it the less I notice it.

My Kirk Fixie.

'04 Ottrott

In that order.

Len

The late '90's MXL has an awesome ride too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rebel_Biker
02-06-2013, 11:10 AM
I assign a stiffness/comfort on my favorite bikes

1. Serotta CDA Sierra Nevada race bike - regret settling
2. Cervelo R3 - Supper Stiff and great fitting for me
3. Stong custom ti - too soft to be #1 but super comfy
4. Lemond Fillmore Ox Plat fixed gear
5. Cannondale hi mod super six
6. Specialized tarmac SL3
7. Cannondale SystemSix - great stiffness/terrible comfort
8. Cannondale CAAD8

abelson
02-06-2013, 01:25 PM
My favorite ride is my Rivendell Quickbeam.

sante pollastri
02-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Colnago Master,IMO.

Jeff N.
02-06-2013, 02:21 PM
PASSONI Top Force Jeff N.

darylb
02-06-2013, 02:52 PM
I started with Lemond Alpe D'Huez. It was a very smooth riding frame but maybe too much so as it really didnt have the zip.

My last bike was a Gunnar Crosshairs that was a fantastic fit and ride but I never really rode it hard so it is hard to compare to my other road bikes.

My best all around riding bike was my Sierra Nevada CDA. It was super quick but I could ride it all day. I think I got really lucky with the fit for one thing but it was also a great frame. It felt stiff in the power transfer sense but also as smooth as silk. I'm an idiot for selling that bike.

I'll never have anything that nice again unless I win the lottery. It was hard enough the first time. I got a great deal on the frame and then spent months looking for deals, and buying, selling and trading parts until I had what I wanted. I was probably only into it for $2,000 net by the time I was finished. I dont have the money or patience to do that again.

BobbyJones
02-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Cannondale CAAD 5 - Plenty of comfortable 200k rides on it to judge by, even the Harpoon B2B and and an Ironman with a smile on my face.

I replaced it with a CAAD 9 with a full swap over of parts but it doesn't feel the same for some reason- maybe I'm just getting older.

eippo1
02-06-2013, 04:59 PM
I vote for the 1989 Ironman Master Centurion that I acquired last year. Very comfy bike, but very twitchy at the same time. Actually, I almost crashed it on it's first ride because I didn't expect it to respond so quickly my lean. Love it, though.

But then I also have a Dean Ti El Diente and an Sworks E5. All different rides but all dream rides for me.

54ny77
02-06-2013, 05:47 PM
36-24-36.

weisan
02-09-2013, 04:23 AM
Great question.

For fast riding
1) Canyon Ultimate Al
3) Moots Vamoots

For adventure:

Yashcha-pal, I concur with your choice of the Logic. Definitely in my top 3 list out of 20+ bikes that came and went.
http://www.cycleboredom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/logicroad.jpg

http://oldmountainbikes.com/catalogs/ritchey/1997/ritchey1997_07.jpg

bargainguy
02-09-2013, 09:11 AM
These days I'm spoiled by 3 IF CJ's (one ti, two steel) and a Gunnar Crosshairs for mixing things up a bit, but my fave budget ride of the past is a Trek 560. Something about the geo and Reynolds 531.

I flipped quite a few of these and watched as folks would come back from a test ride with the biggest smile ever. Priceless.

I Want Sachs?
02-09-2013, 11:01 AM
My vote goes to Merlin Extralight that I rode back in 2006.

tsarpepe
02-09-2013, 11:05 AM
The question should definitely be made more precise. Do you mean

COMFORTABLE, as in: smooths out roads, predictable steering, easy on the butt, hands, etc.

or

ENJOYABLEE, a much broader category that can overlap with the above, but also be interpreted by some folks to mean just the opposite: allows you to really step on the gas, has lively steering, gives you full feel for the road beneath you, springs up on the climbs, makes your ears whistle on the sprints, etc.

Between these two categories, you can fit just about any good frameset ever made, and the range of responses above proves it.

weisan
12-07-2017, 06:20 PM
Wanna pick this back up again? :D

Jeff N.
12-07-2017, 06:41 PM
This...

bob heinatz
12-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Jeff that does look hot. Having seen some of your other bikes this must be quite a ride.

TDot
01-24-2018, 05:14 PM
My all time fave bike (with my limited experience) is a Merckx Corsa 01. Some call it a MX Leader lite, and I agree. Rode like a dream and I sold it! Turns out it actually went to a forum member, so that's good.

KarlC
01-24-2018, 05:44 PM
Speedvagen :banana:

I can't pick just one, but amongst the notables have been:
Specialized S-Works M2
Merckx Team SC
Anvil Chisel
Speedvagen road
Moots Psychlo-X
Meivici
Black Sheep 29er

I still own 5 of them.

sports car: 2011 speedvagen
do it all: Peg responsorium
touring: seven axiom, or elium, both good.
best manners (looking for the right word here): sachs

If you would have asked me 5 years ago what my favorite ride was I would've said a Colnago C40 that was stolen from my garage in 1999. As of today, my SpeedVagen is my favorite but my Sachs is gaining ground. It's too early to make any definitive statements on the RS but in 6 months I wouldn't be surprised if it takes the top spot...

My Peg Marcelo
or Custom Llewellyn
or custom Potts ti fixed
or custom Rex Randonneur
or Look 595
or 2010 Speedvagen
or Legend ti
or Ibis Silk ti
or IF Planet X
or foldable fixed Tikit
or custom Teesdale fixed
or Caad 9

My DeSalvo 10th Anniversary or my Ottrott, I think, though I have very fond memories of my Speedvagen and my Kirk, neither of which fit well enough to keep, or I'd still have them.

Ralph
01-24-2018, 06:02 PM
For all around road use....CAAD 10 for me. Even my Campy triple crank works good on it for a mountain trip. Wouldn't call it best riding.....because that depends on many things, would just call it favorite all around bike I ever owned. And it has fairly standard geometry. And I haven't owned as many as some of you. It rides as good as my custom steel with Enve fork. Maybe what I really like is how much bike it is for how little it cost new. Looking at a new CAAD 12 on E Bay for $700.

Bantamben
01-25-2018, 07:09 AM
Derosa primato EL for me, most comfy frame I’ve riddeen I remember doing a 60 mile local race and feeling like I rode 7 miles. Something about that frame vs others.

tuscanyswe
01-25-2018, 07:11 AM
If i only knew. then i could stop this insane madness thats been going on for decades now .)
Horses for courses tho.

sparky33
01-25-2018, 08:23 AM
Moots Vamoots CR is a sweet spot road bike...intuitive handling, great snap, super comfortable. I wonder if a more aggressive ti frame (e.g. RSL etc) would give me more or less of the things I enjoy.
I haven't been able to derive a reliable formula of which bikes will resonate for me, but a select few are clearly more enjoyable than my others. The Moots is an unexpected front-runner. Kirk MRB and SV CX are remarkable too.

R3awak3n
01-25-2018, 08:41 AM
I have to say, after 100 and something miles on this parlee I just built, its shaping to be one of the best rider I ever been on.

biker72
01-25-2018, 08:57 AM
I've had 2 Schwinn Paramounts, 1 Serotta Titanium and many Treks but the best one for me is the Specialized 2016 Diverge Comp.

Gummee
01-25-2018, 11:14 AM
Holy thread dredge, Batman!

This is an oldie

M

OtayBW
01-25-2018, 05:38 PM
Derosa primato EL for me, most comfy frame I’ve riddeen I remember doing a 60 mile local race and feeling like I rode 7 miles. Something about that frame vs others.
Yes!! It is an amazingly deceptive bike, but fast becoming my favorite ride.

msl819
01-25-2018, 05:45 PM
I have ridden a Merckx Corsa 01, Corsa Extra, Merlin Extralight, Gunnar Crosshairs and an assortment of other newer rides that belonged to friends. The one I have kept is my Serotta CRL that is a shade too big (62L) but too nice to let go of yet. I even had it refinished. It is my favorite ride to date although I would love to try an IF Crown Jewel or Moots. Those two are probably tops of my list today. This is her although she now sports a red King hs, Red King BB, and a newer set of wheels with... you guessed it Red King hubs.

After however many years this thread is old my original post still holds true. I LOVE my steel Serottas. I am building a Merckx MXL so we will see how that compares.

yashcha
01-25-2018, 06:30 PM
Great question.

For fast riding
1) Canyon Ultimate Al
3) Moots Vamoots

For adventure:

My choices weren't too bad back in 2012, but in reality, I think the Ritchey choice was more about nostalgia, and the Vamoots was super twitchy so I am not sure why I put it on my list. The Canyon was a super bike though, I still miss it.

Recently I have been very impressed with the 2005 Time VX Edge for stock frame, Zank Alu road for custom road, and 333FAB Ti for n=1 bike. So it turns out I like what ever I am riding at the moment.

Dave M
01-25-2018, 08:15 PM
Oh Lordy. Depends on the mood and the purpose.

All around: tie between 07 Serotta HSGit and 09 Colnago EPS
Race day: '12 Carrera Estremo. Also the most pleasant surprise of the cheap eBay impulse purchases.
Comfy cruiser: Marschall steelie
Crazy cool: 96 Colnago C40 Lampre
Memory Lane: 91 Marinoni Special. Owned since new.

Fantastic thread, BTW.

bob heinatz
01-25-2018, 10:12 PM
My Eisentraut and Peg Duende.

madsciencenow
01-25-2018, 10:54 PM
I’ve probably owned less rigs than most on this list but so far I’d have to say I like my Sachs the best followed by a concours that I previously owned but ended up being a bit big for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exapkib
01-25-2018, 11:01 PM
So far, the Yamaguchi (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=130123) frame I chanced into on craigslist. The longer I ride this bike and watch for others like it, the more I understand what a special piece of serendipity that was.

I am a lucky man.

bobdenver1961
03-23-2018, 10:36 PM
I have 2 favorite road bikes. Could ride all day on these.

'89 Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra. Campy 11 speed. It's like butter.

'11 Serotta Classique Titanium - Dura Ace 11 speed. Fits me just incredible.

gngroup
03-23-2018, 11:01 PM
Cool old thread that’s been brought back to life!!!

Best riding frames for me (top 5):
1. Colnago C40
2. Colnago C59
3. 1971 Cinelli Super Pista
4. Hampsten Strada Bianca Ti
5. Moots PsychloX

soulspinner
03-24-2018, 05:06 AM
Closest bike to the door with air in the tires...

:hello:

Jeff N.
03-24-2018, 08:05 AM
36-24-36.Responds well to rider input? Horizontally compliant?

ptourkin
03-24-2018, 08:15 AM
The double butted Reynolds ti Lemond that I'm selling in the classifieds.:banana:

gomango
03-24-2018, 08:30 AM
Probably this Chris Kvale.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2865/11037212153_40a6818a39_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/hPjADg)DSCN5866 (https://flic.kr/p/hPjADg) by gomango1849 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/), on Flickr

tommyrod74
03-24-2018, 08:51 AM
Oh Lordy. Depends on the mood and the purpose.

All around: tie between 07 Serotta HSGit and 09 Colnago EPS...

I just picked up a HSG IT in size 54 locally. Will be refinishing it this summer; stoked to see how great the ride is!

What about it do you like so much?

Thanks,
Tommy

colker
03-24-2018, 09:35 AM
Steel Ibis Mojo:banana:

bob heinatz
03-24-2018, 10:28 AM
My Peg Duente. I have thought many times of selling it than I go out for a ride and know it is the perfect bike for me.

Tickdoc
03-24-2018, 10:42 AM
Just in from a duende magic carpet ride. We traverse one section of road that is potholed so bad that they could be classified as cobbles and the duende just eats them up. Descends well, turns well, climbs well. Dario knows his $hit for sure.

And that is on clinchers. I’m convinced any frame feels better with tubs.....but that is another story.

Cloozoe
03-24-2018, 03:22 PM
Given the almost infinite number of variables relating to fit, build, wheels, tires, road surface & slope... coupled with my almost infinite skepticism, I'd say placebo/confirmation bias effects based (usually) on price/rarity have more impact for more people than any inherent performance aspects of the frame; particularly if the idea is that the performance is "better" as opposed to "slightly different". Hence a Sachs, say, will always get more votes than a well designed and made but neither rare nor ungodly expensive frame.

They're all just bikes; among the many good ones, if you're open to the actual experience, unfiltered, none will make your ride and none will ruin it.

colker
03-25-2018, 07:23 AM
Given the almost infinite number of variables relating to fit, build, wheels, tires, road surface & slope... coupled with my almost infinite skepticism, I'd say placebo/confirmation bias effects based (usually) on price/rarity have more impact for more people than any inherent performance aspects of the frame; particularly if the idea is that the performance is "better" as opposed to "slightly different". Hence a Sachs, say, will always get more votes than a well designed and made but neither rare nor ungodly expensive frame.

They're all just bikes; among the many good ones, if you're open to the actual experience, unfiltered, none will make your ride and none will ruin it.

Fit a pair of exceptional tubular wheels inflated to the right psi under any reasonably good bike and you will have the best bike in the world.

jamesdak
03-25-2018, 09:04 AM
Fit a pair of exceptional tubular wheels inflated to the right psi under any reasonably good bike and you will have the best bike in the world.

Hmmm....just put a pair of Veloflex vlaanderen on my beloved Bob Jackson. I'm sure it's going to make it ride nicer but....

The bike flexes too much when I hammer on it in the low to mid 20mph range so I don't see a pair of tires fixing that. ;)

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/167148415.jpg

jamesdak
03-25-2018, 09:27 AM
Now to answer the Op's question with a very subjective answer of,... it depends.

If I had to pick my best overall riding frame it would be the Giordana XL Super. It does everything super well and for some reason this is the bike I feel most connected to. The geometry for these was designed by Dario P. himself. I have two Giordana's and enjoy them both. So the XL Super is my overall pick.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/164621709.jpg

But.....there is a but.....

My most comfortable bike overall is the silky riding Basso Gap. It's the one I take out on days when I'm maybe a little tired or sore or just want a super smooth easy day on a bike.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/164589099.jpg

Then come the best riding for centuries, fast yet comfortable. The Greg Lemond Ventoux.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/165115078.jpg

My best riding frame for carrying a high speed for miles upon miles upon miles is the beautiful TSX framed Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune. This one just reacts so easily under me and holds speed effortlessly.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166138354.jpg

And finally this surprising old Schwinn Circuit. When I want to chase local Strava sprint segments this is the bike I use. For whatever reason it is the best riding under me for all out sprints. I have many "better" bikes yet consistently post my quickest sprints on various routes with this one.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/164992518.jpg

Now I do have so others they may top some of these as I get them sorted out. Several good finds over the winter as well as some builds I finally got to. I'm just recovering from a wreck and a separated shoulder so they are waiting their chance to prove themselves.

This includes the De Rosa Nuovo Classico, the Serotta CSI, the 89 Ironman Expert, the Lemond Gan GLX. Time will tell with these.

etu
03-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Nice. Beautiful bikes for sure.
As for the sentiment that "bikes are bikes", I agree that for many the subtle differences may be lost in the jumble of biases and expectations, but for a lot of us on this forum, the differences are real and appreciated. I would expect that the proportion of connoisseurs would be higher for those who are willing to go through the effort of obtaining a Sachs.
My Legend rides differently from my Landshark which rides very differently from my Alliance and as the above poster points out. What is best is often dependent on the purpose.
Right now, I am loving my Alliance because it is so compliant and lively. It's like riding on a spring which is exactly what I need at the end of a long day at work. It just cheers me up to be on it whether I am going slow or fast between the signal lights.

Cloozoe
03-25-2018, 10:54 AM
As for the sentiment that "bikes are bikes", I agree that for many the subtle differences may be lost in the jumble of biases and expectations, but for a lot of us on this forum, the differences are real...

Sure “the differences are real”; but, to the OP’s question, do the differences result in a “best riding frame”? For everyone? For all applications? And unless they fit you the same and are set up the same, particularly in terms of wheels/tires, how do you know what attributes to ascribe to the frame?

My friend Martin is convinced that Reynolds 531 feels “better” than Columbus SL because, a) he has two different bikes of two different sizes set up in two entirely different ways and he likes the one made of 531 better, b) his guru, Tom, who owns the local bike shop has been feeding him bulls%#t like that since the 1970s and it’s stuck in his brain, and c) he has the logical capacity of a small soap dish.

Collecting is fun but it’s about acquisitiveness not performance.

“The world is too much with us now, late and soon; getting and spending we lay waste our powers”

Burnette
03-25-2018, 01:42 PM
Now to answer the Op's question with a very subjective answer of,... it depends.

If I had to pick my best overall riding frame it would be the Giordana XL Super. It does everything super well and for some reason this is the bike I feel most connected to. The geometry for these was designed by Dario P. himself. I have two Giordana's and enjoy them both. So the XL Super is my overall pick.

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/164621709.jpg

Pardon the slight thread drift, this is what I like about the Paceline, bicycles. One day I'm gonna rock dirty white bar tape. It just seems proper, a hot bike should show signs of use, gonna do it one day.

Back on topic, I agree with most that the variables are too great and subjective feel opinions aren't data.

Burnette
03-25-2018, 01:48 PM
Sure “the differences are real”; but, to the OP’s question, do the differences result in a “best riding frame”? For everyone? For all applications? And unless they fit you the same and are set up the same, particularly in terms of wheels/tires, how do you know what attributes to ascribe to the frame?

My friend Martin is convinced that Reynolds 531 feels “better” than Columbus SL because, a) he has two different bikes of two different sizes set up in two entirely different ways and he likes the one made of 531 better, b) his guru, Tom, who owns the local bike shop has been feeding him bulls%#t like that since the 1970s and it’s stuck in his brain, and c) he has the logical capacity of a small soap dish.
Collecting is fun but it’s about acquisitiveness not performance.

“The world is too much with us now, late and soon; getting and spending we lay waste our powers”

Pardon thread drift number two, this is another thing I like about Paceline, members with a great sense of humor and the sharing of some wisdom, like this post.

Back on topic if we are honest we all have at times drank Kool Aid of some sorts about bike bits and lived long enough to come out of our fog to realize that it was just that, Kool Aid.

bironi
03-25-2018, 03:41 PM
The one under your ass.

jamesdak
03-25-2018, 03:50 PM
Pardon the slight thread drift, this is what I like about the Paceline, bicycles. One day I'm gonna rock dirty white bar tape. It just seems proper, a hot bike should show signs of use, gonna do it one day.

Back on topic, I agree with most that the variables are too great and subjective feel opinions aren't data.

LOL, mine are only pristine once. I may have a lot of bikes but I do a lot of miles and they all get used.

Burnette
03-25-2018, 03:54 PM
LOL, mine are only pristine once. I may have a lot of bikes but I do a lot of miles and they all get used.

And the patina makes it look even better. I swear a some point I will do white tape, get it dirty and just ride it like you.

19wisconsin64
03-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Hi, Thanks to you guys and gals on this forum I've got three bicycles spaced out over 30 or so years. It's really something to see the differences in the ride quality of these top-of-the line bikes and compare the generations.

Mid-80's Davidson with Campagnolo C Record groupset. - Smooth riding and elegant. Best of it's time (for me at least)

2000 or so Serotta CSi with modern Ultegra groupset. - Perfect steel bike-comfortable, climbs and corners well, light weight, just perfect.

2015 Trek Domane, carbon fiber with modern Ultegra groupset. Perfect carbon bike- super light, super responsive, super comfortable.

It's easy to see that with every new "generation" leaps are made in terms of rideability.

Looking forward to selling my Domane and getting something with disc brakes and the capacity for 32 mm tires, along with both front and rear suspension. We are in sort of a "golden era" of cycling, where you can get anything to suit your needs.

Thankfully, you folks often have the latest and greatest bikes, and tire of them very quickly. I'll be scanning the classified ads here to see what comes up!

....and in 30 years-sealed drive components, and even lighter bikes! yay

happycampyer
03-25-2018, 06:43 PM
Pardon thread drift number two, this is another thing I like about Paceline, members with a great sense of humor and the sharing of some wisdom, like this post.

Back on topic if we are honest we all have at times drank Kool Aid of some sorts about bike bits and lived long enough to come out of our fog to realize that it was just that, Kool Aid.Agree, completely. Although a minor nit, the poem does not have the word "now" in the first line:

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers;—
Little we see in Nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea that bares her bosom to the moon;
The winds that will be howling at all hours,
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for everything, we are out of tune;
It moves us not. Great God! I’d rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathèd horn.

jamesdak
03-25-2018, 09:57 PM
And the patina makes it look even better. I swear a some point I will do white tape, get it dirty and just ride it like you.

The white tape is easy to use and get dirty. So easy to find more.

Now this perfectly matching pink was much harder, tried about 1/2 dozen tapes before finding the one that matched the frame, LOL!

http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/165104779.jpg

lzuk
03-28-2018, 06:14 AM
I found myself riding this bike more this winter than my road bike so for me this is it.

Johnnysmooth
03-29-2018, 12:10 PM
Whatever I happen to be riding at the moment :banana:

Clean39T
03-29-2018, 01:15 PM
I found myself riding this bike more this winter than my road bike so for me this is it.

“Winter” — lolz