PDA

View Full Version : 1980's Ambrosio clincher rims?

BumbleBeeDave
03-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Still working on restoring my Vitus and looking at rim choices to look for on the 'Bay or elsewhere.

For Mavic, Open 4CD's appeared to be the clincher rim of choice at the time.

what were the equivalent Ambrosio clincher rims at the time? 1982-1986? . . .

Looking for 36 hole rims. Thanks!

BBD

SPOKE
03-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I never saw many off the Ambrosio rims back then here in NC. Mavic seemed to rule here in NC. As you already mentioned the Open Pro (4). The other unique it's that really jazzed me was the Mavic SSC stuff. Back then you could purchase an entire boxed kit which contained all the bits except the frame. Wish I could find one of thes kits to put on my Vitus....:)

wallymann
03-15-2012, 09:46 PM
why not wolber? nisi were also in the mix at that time.

marinoni62
03-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Ambrosio 19 Extra Super Elites were comparable to the Mavic rims in the 1980's. The shape was closer to a MA40 rather than the Open 4CD's. My uncle had a pair of them that were red anodized (this was before the Helium's came out). Those were good looking rims. Ambrosio also had the regular "elites" as well. they looked the same, but probably had thicker walls and probably were heavier. These were more common on the lower end road bikes.

6mt
03-15-2012, 11:46 PM
i've had a set of ambrosio clincher at one point, and the only thing i remembered about them is that they were really hard to mount tires on. like extremely hard.

ultraman6970
03-16-2012, 12:04 AM
Probably the bike never used clinchers, it might came straight tubulars.

rustychisel
03-16-2012, 01:24 AM
Yup, Super Elite 700 x 19, in black makes a sweet 36h wheel.

Just sold a pair of them.

BumbleBeeDave
03-16-2012, 05:02 AM
Ambrosio 19 Extra Super Elites were comparable to the Mavic rims in the 1980's. The shape was closer to a MA40 rather than the Open 4CD's. My uncle had a pair of them that were red anodized (this was before the Helium's came out). Those were good looking rims. Ambrosio also had the regular "elites" as well. they looked the same, but probably had thicker walls and probably were heavier. These were more common on the lower end road bikes.

. . . the high-end stuff for this. This Vitus was my first really nice bike and had all top drawer stuff. But I don't want to use tubulars and it originally came with tubie rims.

So it wounds like "Ambrosio super elite" would be what I need to set up a search for?

I'm also seeing some on there called "metamorph" . . . ?

BBD

marinoni62
03-16-2012, 09:30 AM
The Super Elites were the high end clincher rims for Ambrosio during the 80's, the Metamorphosis rim you mentioned is tubular from the same period as well.