PDA

View Full Version : Compression tights

Alan
03-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Just wanted to share my experience w compression tights. I bought some CW-X tights a few months ago and they are working great. I wear them for several hours after a long ride and the next day after a reasonable warm up I feel much better than I had been. I used to get a lot of quad soreness the day after a long ride. After using the CW-X tights I feel much better and able to do group rides after a long ride the day before.

For those who have had a lot of DOMS I would definitely give the full compression tights a try. I deliberately bought the tights as I just don't see how socks can do the same thing.

Alan

wc1934
03-15-2012, 05:23 PM
Hey Alan
A few days ago i posted a question about compression shorts as I just purchased a pair -they have not yet arrived - have you tried wearing them while you ride/run?

Jaq
03-15-2012, 06:30 PM
fwiw - years ago, I used to ride with a bunch of surgery residents who all wore nurse's compression thigh-high stockings - while working and on rides - and absolutely swore by them. They were almost religious about how much better they felt after long rides or long bouts in the OR. I'm sure that it helped that they were in their late 20s/early 30s, but they were damn good riders.

I'd say go for it; buy some nurse's black compression stockings for 40 bucks or so and wear 'em under your shorts on a couple rides. If they work, then give 'em to your significant other and graduate up to the high-priced cycling stuff. I know, it sounds silly, but you're the only one who'd know.

Aside from all of us here.

And we won't say a word.

Promise. ;)

crankles
03-15-2012, 08:24 PM
I have some tights, but they are a PITA to pull on. I've switched to a combo of shorts+socks. much easier. great for long flights too. complete dorkatude, but no one knows i'm wearing them under my attire.

wasfast
03-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Many report having improved recovery and there's some decent medical reasons why it should help. My own results with a pair of Skins for a full race season 2 years didn't show any difference for me. YMMV.

jimcav
03-16-2012, 12:56 PM
if you need to do some hard efforts back to back. I noticed a difference in multi-day races. I tried skins, zoot, and cw-x. I think i'd rate them all similarly for recovery, and none did anything for active performance (exception--calf compression allowed more effort during runs WHILE I was recovering from a calf pull versus not wearing it)
I think useing a game ready unit did much more for recovery--did my quads after hard workouts. however i was just lucky to have access to that. I have heard massage is great too, and "podium legs" is a product that is sort of a mindless auto massage, which guys over on slowtwitch like. I might try them some day. They lowered the qual times for NYC marathon, which before my hip injury I thought i could always do any time, so if i ever get back to running again and am close, i will likely try anything to get that last bit of performance

If only painkillers had a performance enhancing effect, i'd be set.

AgilisMerlin
03-16-2012, 01:03 PM
how about 3/4 body compression

http://www.planetdancedirect.co.uk/prod5.asp?ID=145&offset=12&prod_id=8871&grpid=8871&#prod_anchor

http://www.planetdancedirect.co.uk/graphics/detail_images/DansPD913NS1.jpg

danksteez
03-16-2012, 01:07 PM
I've never used these but the concept seems sound. Your femoral veins have to fight against gravity to return blood to your heart. Increased cardiac output and you have more blood cycling through your legs. Your veins have one way valves that prevent blood from pooling. Normally the contraction of your muscles helps pump the blood back up against gravity, but if you wear the compression stuff it helps squeeze the blood back up, and I'm assuming increases hydrostatic pressure for returning blood back to your veins. This helps get the deoxygenated blood out of your legs... fresh oxygenated blood is flushed through your legs more efficiently. More oxygen = better muscle function and less fatigue.

Just throwing this out there if any of you were wondering why this would be helpful. If there's more to this... feel free to chime in.

onekgguy
03-16-2012, 08:08 PM
This is interesting for me. I suffered a bilateral pulmonary embolism in late January and spent a few days in the hospital trying to get the pain under control. I'm on Coumadin for the next 10.5 months while I work to get back to normal. My concern now is coming off the Coumadin. I'm somewhat afraid to for fear of having a repeat and I'd rather not go through this again. But while I'm on the drug I can't ride outdoors or even on my rollers for fear of hitting my head and causing a brain hemorrhage so I really want to be off the drug. Possibly these tights can ease some of my apprehension about carrying on with my life sans Coumadin.

Kevin g

oldpotatoe
03-17-2012, 06:48 AM
fwiw - years ago, I used to ride with a bunch of surgery residents who all wore nurse's compression thigh-high stockings - while working and on rides - and absolutely swore by them. They were almost religious about how much better they felt after long rides or long bouts in the OR. I'm sure that it helped that they were in their late 20s/early 30s, but they were damn good riders.

I'd say go for it; buy some nurse's black compression stockings for 40 bucks or so and wear 'em under your shorts on a couple rides. If they work, then give 'em to your significant other and graduate up to the high-priced cycling stuff. I know, it sounds silly, but you're the only one who'd know.

Aside from all of us here.

And we won't say a word.

Promise. ;)

I have venus stasis in my right foot/ankle and wear one below when I stand all day..makes a big difference. If you are going to do this, get the medium compression at least. Lotsa of the ones adverted these days for runners, tri people are the low 'squish' and are way expensive.

www.brightlifedirect.com

Allegro brand recommended to me by my quack. 'bout $25.

Both the quack and her helper both had these on, since they stand all day.

LouDeeter
03-17-2012, 07:31 AM
I wore compression over the calf socks on a recent long overseas flight--two back to back 9 hour segments. My feet were not swollen like they usually are and it gave me the confidence that I was also helping to avoid deep vein thrombosis. I took an aspirin before each flight segment as well. I have compression sleeveless tops from under armour, but I had not considered compression tights for post ride therapy. I'm going to look into this. Thanks.

henry14
03-17-2012, 11:59 PM
I've worn compression tights after working out at the gym doing squats and other leg work and I've noticed the "soreness" is not as bad before without them. I don't know if it's a placebo or not but I believe they work. I would wear them the next few days straight even while sleeping.