PDA

View Full Version : Campy disc options - alternatives?

d_douglas
03-15-2012, 06:49 AM
In my never ending quest to run Campy on my disc equipped cross bike, I have concluded that:

the best way to use a proper Campy cassette is to buy a set of DT240/350 MTB hubs and switch out the FHB. I understand that this will work well and fit the bill, but I am wondering what other DT-manufactured hubs or wheels may qualify.

Can the FHB on prebuilt DT 29er wheels be exchanged or is the mechanism on the 240/350 hubs the only one that allows this option?

For other 'brands', at what point in the lineup are Bontrager hubs manufactured by DT? I have a set of Bontrager RaceLites that are decent wheels - could I simply swap the Shimano FH body for a DT Campy one?

Also, I believe that Specialized uses/used DT hubs - is there a model that I can do the switch on?

For the latter two cases, if these were made by DT Swiss for only certain years, what models and years should I be looking for? I am not concerned with weight as much as durability (I weigh 195lbs)

Basically, I am wondering if there is some 'little-known' and cheaper alternative to buying DT branded wheels that will yield the same result, albeit with a Bontrager decal?

Any ideas? I am not doing a conversion cassette, so no need to suggest it.

Thanks!

d_douglas
03-16-2012, 08:13 PM
I know this is murky water, but does anon know their stuff on this one?

Thanks a lot.

maunahaole
03-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Is a jtek shiftmate out of the question for you?

d_douglas
03-16-2012, 10:58 PM
No Jteks or otherwise - this will have real Campy wheels. Used 29er wheels won't be too pricey; I just want to know alternatives to DT, which I know will work.

Any thoughts?

A1CKot
03-16-2012, 11:40 PM
I remember Velocity offered a 130 disc hub in Campy but can't find it anymore. I found this one (http://www.novatecwheels.com/novatec/english/p_show.php?sid=21) but never tried them. If you want to do it on the cheap this might be the way to go.

I just sold my DT 240 disc cross wheels about a month ago after abandoning my Campy/Seven/disc cross bike project in favor of a travel 29er.

Good luck with your project and post some pictures when you get her together.

ultraman6970
03-17-2012, 04:59 PM
For cross you will need road brake disc calipers like the avic bb5 road ones, or you will need to use a travel agent to change the brake lever actuation to take the ones u have right now??

As for the RD and FD, is not that big of a deal. At least in the front you can use whatever even the same you have right now. For the RD you will need a new one or a jtek but if you are using sram maybe you might not need anything.

As for wheels, there is plenty of options now.

Interesting project.

Good luck :)

d_douglas
03-17-2012, 07:13 PM
As for wheels, there is plenty of options now.

Interesting project.

Good luck :)

HA HA - thanks, but what exactly are the available options! Just wheels please - the rest is sorted out!

thanks

Darren

ultraman6970
03-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Hmm... sold a pair of cane creek to one of the forumites for example. Those were 130mm discs hubs...

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=570

http://www.bikerumor.com/2011/10/27/white-industries-debuts-130-disc-hub-for-cyclocross-road/

http://www.amazon.com/FSA-RD-460-Road-Disc-Wheelset/dp/B000E4SAQ8

Phill wood has a hub I believe also. Hope you know how to put wheels together because cane creek drop off the wheels a few years ago.

kceb_cire
03-17-2012, 07:45 PM
I don't think any of those is campy though? Hes looking for a campy compatible rear hub. Though maybe you can have velocity just put a campy fh on a rear disc hub?

audiisaac
03-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Call White Industries and see if they can swap out the free hub from one of their disk hubs. I know that BicycleTricycle did that with a 135mm hub.

d_douglas
03-17-2012, 09:27 PM
Lets go back to the original question - does anyone know what companies use DT hubs (specifically what models as well)? Thats it - 135mm spacing is fine.

I know others are coming available but I am not searching for those.

Thanks,

Darren

In my never ending quest to run Campy on my disc equipped cross bike, I have concluded that the best way to use a proper Campy cassette is to buy a set of DT240/350 MTB hubs and switch out the FHB. I understand that this will work well and fit the bill, but I am wondering what other DT-manufactured hubs or wheels may qualify.

Can the FHB on prebuilt DT 29er wheels be exchanged or is the mechanism on the 240/350 hubs teh only one that allows this option?

For other 'brands', at what point in the lineup are Bontrager hubs manufactured by DT? I have a set of Bontrager RaceLites that are decent wheels - could I simply swap the Shimano FH body for a DT Campy one?

Also, I believe that Specialized uses/used DT hubs - is there a model that I can do the switch on?

For the latter two cases, if these were made by DT Swiss for only certain years, what models and years should I be looking for? I am not concerned with weight as much as durability (I weigh 195lbs)

Basically, I am wondering if there is some 'little-known' and cheaper alternative to buying DT branded wheels that will yield the same result, albeit with a Bontrager decal?

Any ideas? I am not doing a conversion cassette, so no need to suggest it.

Thanks!

6mt
03-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Chris King disc hub, with campy FHB?

d_douglas
03-18-2012, 12:16 AM
Chris King disc hub, with campy FHB?

That, I am quite sure, does not work! Sadly. Too expensive for me, BUT if one could do it, I would sell a kidney, as the kids say...

Marcusaurelius
03-18-2012, 08:09 AM
Formula makes a campagnolo disc hub. One manufacturer has been using it on their tour bikes for several years. It's a basic hub, nothing fancy but it works.

DT swiss makes the 240 in a disc version.

d_douglas
03-18-2012, 08:53 AM
My inquiry was poorly written, I s'pose.

All I want to know is if the Bontrager or Specialized branded DT wheels can have the FHB switched out for a Campy FHB

No other brands in question. Sorry for the confusion.

xjahx
03-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Also, the DT 190s and now 180s will work.

d_douglas
03-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Also, the DT 190s and now 180s will work.

We are getting there! Unfortunately, I am looking for a budget type wheel set, so those DT 190s will not fit the bill!

What about Bontrager RaceLites?

d_douglas
03-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Does anyone know about these wheels? Can Fulcrum FHBs be switched from the standard Shimano to Campy in their MTB wheels?

I have a friend who swears by these and uses them more often than his Reynolds carbon ones. Not MTB, But the Racing zero tubes, or something like that. They just look like Campy wheels to me with different decals - Campy quality = a good thing!

oldpotatoe
03-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Does anyone know about these wheels? Can Fulcrum FHBs be switched from the standard Shimano to Campy in their MTB wheels?

I have a friend who swears by these and uses them more often than his Reynolds carbon ones. Not MTB, But the Racing zero tubes, or something like that. They just look like Campy wheels to me with different decals - Campy quality = a good thing!

Take the rear apart and compare to a 'normal' Campag hub....On normal road Fulcrums, yes, you can add a Campagnolo freehub body.

d_douglas
05-05-2012, 08:21 AM
I have found this locally and it seems that it might be a DT star ratchet system hub in a Bontrager leisure suit. It is described as 28holes and in perfect condition with DT internals that run like a Swiss clock (I am living in Geneva - can you believe actually use adages like 'runs like a Swiss clock' in their own culture?!)

The rotor flange says 'by DT Swiss', so is this a rebranded DT 240 or 350 (as I understand, these are the two models that can be converted).

Again, I am asking if anyone knows for certain whether one could switch out the Shimano free hub for a Campy one and turn this into a Campy compatible disc CX wheel?

Thanks for any quick and definitive replies,

Darren

skijoring
05-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Darren, get a hold of this guy. If anyone, he should know. He has an IF disc road bike with Campagnolo FH on DT hubs.

http://wheelworks.co.nz/

I have found this locally and it seems that it might be a DT star ratchet system hub in a Bontrager leisure suit. It is described as 28holes and in perfect condition with DT internals that run like a Swiss clock (I am living in Geneva - can you believe actually use adages like 'runs like a Swiss clock' in their own culture?!)

The rotor flange says 'by DT Swiss', so is this a rebranded DT 240 or 350 (as I understand, these are the two models that can be converted).

Again, I am asking if anyone knows for certain whether one could switch out the Shimano free hub for a Campy one and turn this into a Campy compatible disc CX wheel?

Thanks for any quick and definitive replies,

Darren

d_douglas
05-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Can anyone ID this disc hub? Is it a high end DT model masquerading as a Bontrager?

Thanks y'all

Darren

tristan
05-06-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm fairly certain that hub has a steel freehub body and 2-pawl system...unfortunately not convertible to Campagnolo.

The hub you're looking for will have a black aluminium freehub body (with marks on it from the cassette if it's a used hub)

-Tristan