PDA

View Full Version : 'solo Oem Only'

jpw
03-14-2012, 12:16 PM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.413312238684897.115159.119812894701501&type=3

Steve in SLO
03-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Nice. Look forward to hearing your impressions.

jpw
03-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Nice. Look forward to hearing your impressions.

That could be a wait.

Bruce K
03-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Then what is the point of the thread?

I thought you were hinting that this was for your bike too.

BK

jpw
03-14-2012, 04:52 PM
Then what is the point of the thread?

I thought you were hinting that this was for your bike too.

BK

That Serotta is moving forward in 2012 with EPS-ready frames.

No proclamations here.

Your thoughts are your own Bruce. I'm not accounting for them.

happycampyer
03-14-2012, 05:56 PM
I've seen a dozen or so Di2 MeiVicis go through Signature's Greenwich shop alone last year, and the drilling is basically the same for EPS, so the fact that they are making the frames isn't much of a surprise. The interesting thing will be how they balance the OEM work so that they don't alienate the dealers they retained, which are all major producers. I would think selling complete bikes is more profitable than selling frames.

jpw
03-15-2012, 03:47 AM
I've seen a dozen or so Di2 MeiVicis go through Signature's Greenwich shop alone last year, and the drilling is basically the same for EPS, so the fact that they are making the frames isn't much of a surprise. The interesting thing will be how they balance the OEM work so that they don't alienate the dealers they retained, which are all major producers. I would think selling complete bikes is more profitable than selling frames.

I'm guessing the balance is struck by the geo location of the customer. If in a geo where there is no dealer then Serotta could justify serving that customer's needs fully and directly (OEM, full build kits et.c.). If for example in NYC then perhaps Signature's. I don't know what the formal agreement details are between Serotta and the remaining dealers. If a customer contacts Serotta direct but lives in a dealer's area does Serota refer the customer to the dealer?

As an example there are now only three dealers in Europe, in London, Freiburg (Germany), and Davos (Switzerland). Could a customer in say France or Austria go direct, or get pointed to one of the three?

Out of curiosity, I wonder what the price of the OEM EPS gruppo is to Serotta?

happycampyer
03-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Out of curiosity, I wonder what the price of the OEM EPS gruppo is to Serotta?the same as it is to any other manufacturer (well, not exactly—having seen an OEM price list a few years back, there are breakpoints, so a company like Orbea that places a bulk order gets a better deal than say Dave Kirk, e-Richie or Serotta). I have read on several occasions that builders prefer to sell complete bikes than just frames, which is no surprise.