PDA

View Full Version : Riding in Austin, TX?

JayBay
03-14-2012, 05:46 AM
So is anybody here from Austin? I'm heading down there for work the last week of March and I'm debating whether or not to bring some riding clothes and rent a bike for a couple days, maybe sneak out before/after work while I'm down there. Is there any good riding that's easily accessible from the north side of Austin? I'll be staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites on Parmer Lane. What about any organized group rides during the week (road or mountain)?

jh_on_the_cape
03-14-2012, 08:25 AM
I am also from MA and went riding in Austin a year ago. Riding was great. However, I was visiting a buddy who had moved from MA to TX. He is a strong rider, finished PBP this August.

I rented a Trek Madone from a shop and did some great rides. My buddy lives in 'Steiner Ranch' where we started and finished the rides.

One great ride took us up 'the three bitches' which is a hill with a set of three false summits.

Sorry I don't have more details, my buddy organized the route and the bike for me. But do plan on bringing riding clothes. Try the garmin site for routes?

Eat some BBQ, too.

texbike
03-14-2012, 09:08 AM
So is anybody here from Austin? I'm heading down there for work the last week of March and I'm debating whether or not to bring some riding clothes and rent a bike for a couple days, maybe sneak out before/after work while I'm down there. Is there any good riding that's easily accessible from the north side of Austin? I'll be staying at the Fairfield Inn & Suites on Parmer Lane. What about any organized group rides during the week (road or mountain)?

Hi Jaybay,

I'm not sure what part of Parmer your hotel is on, but if it is the one I'm thinking of, it is in a bit of a sucky area for riding (and most things in general). Parmer West of Mopac/Loop 1 is actually a popular ride area as it has wide shoulders (with lots of traffic unfortunately) and leads out to rural areas Northwest of town.

The upside to the location is that you will have relatively quick access to rural areas to the East of your hotel and an unlimited number of smaller country roads with your requisite dogs and rednecks in trucks. There is also a popular mountain biking area called Walnut Creek that is less than 5 minutes from where you are staying. Fun, tight single-track! Outside of that, there are a number of great places to ride, but you will have to drive to get to them.

For rentals, Bicycle Sport Shop has a location on Parmer (West of Mopac/Loop 1). I'm not sure if they rent at that location, but it would be worth a call.

As for group rides, there are multiple rides during the week and it would depend on what you are looking for as for effort and distance. Here is a link to a calendar that isn't complete, but does give you a few ideas:

http://austinontwowheels.org/cycling-events-calendar

Also, there is a Saturday Morning ride from the Einstein's next door to your hotel that is aptly named "The Bagel Shop Ride". It usually rolls out at 8:15 and goes from 60-90 miles and averages around 20 mph.

I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Texbike

JayBay
03-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the tips guys! Nelos Cycles seems to have a group ride a couple nights a week at 7pm. I might see if I can get in on that. Now I just need to call around and see if anybody has a demo bike big enough!

texbike
03-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the tips guys! Nelos Cycles seems to have a group ride a couple nights a week at 7pm. I might see if I can get in on that. Now I just need to call around and see if anybody has a demo bike big enough!

Let me know if you decide to do the Nelo's ride. I'll join you as I live about 5 or 6 blocks away. We rode last night after work and it was getting close to dark by 7:45 so their rides are definitely shorter this time of year unless you have lights.

If you're willing to drive to the same area, you're welcome to join us for a short Tuesday/Thursday Night ride that I do with a couple of other forumites.

Cheers,

Texbike

JayBay
03-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Thanks Tex - I'll definitely take you up on that. I plan on bringing my lights too, and I don't mind riding in the dark. Plus the light will only be getting better for us, so it might not be too bad in another couple weeks. I'll shoot you a PM with my contact info.

tiretrax
03-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Make a trip to Franklin's BBQ. Get there early because they sell out quickly.

Austin and San Antonio have some of the best in-city riding in Texas. Definitely bring your gear - it sounds like you have already. There are lots of bike shops, so call a few to see if they have a bike you want. Bicycle Sport Shop has some ride maps in their rental/repair department - you might have to go to the store on South Lamar. Check Strava as well as Garmin. Pick up a copy of the Wheelmen publication, too.

JayBay
03-15-2012, 06:43 AM
I'm definitely going to check out some BBQ while I'm down there!

I called Bicycle Sport Shop and lined up a Cervelo R3 for the week. I always wanted to try one of those... should be a good time.

texbike
03-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Make a trip to Franklin's BBQ. Get there early because they sell out quickly.

Man, Franklin's is something else. Unfortunately we've pretty much given up on going. The crowds have been too crazy recently. :(

Two other BBQ places to try are a new upstart called Blue Ribbon BBQ and an old stalwart known as Green Mesquite. Both are incredible!

Also, you'll have to try a bit of TexMex while you're here. There's a Torchy's Tacos right around the corner from Nelo's. It isn't traditional, but has an interesting history (started by a chef in a food trailer) and great food!

Texbike

steampunk
03-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Let me know if you decide to do the Nelo's ride. I'll join you as I live about 5 or 6 blocks away. We rode last night after work and it was getting close to dark by 7:45 so their rides are definitely shorter this time of year unless you have lights.

If you're willing to drive to the same area, you're welcome to join us for a short Tuesday/Thursday Night ride that I do with a couple of other forumites.

Cheers,

Texbike

texbike - what is your route & pace like? could be something I join if I'm free after work.

texbike
03-17-2012, 06:52 AM
texbike - what is your route & pace like? could be something I join if I'm free after work.

Hey Steam,

PM sent.

Cheers,

Texbike