PDA

View Full Version : More than one cycling organization in your area?

Plum Hill
03-13-2012, 10:21 PM
If so, do they work together?

The area I live in has a long-term tradition of not coordinating rides, leading to conflicting rides. I found out today a new weekly ride will be held in the same town on the same night as another long-standing ride. Both rides attract the same type of rider.

In my opinion, it just carves that pie into even smaller pieces.

oliver1850
03-13-2012, 10:46 PM
When we used to have a group ride here, it conflicted with the runners club. Some guys did both, so had to pick one or the other. It seems like the people who do both are more serious about running, and our cycling group got down to only 3 regulars at the end. The runners are still going, with more participation than ever. I've forgotten why we didn't change the night.

carlineng
03-13-2012, 11:08 PM
San Francisco Bay Area? About a million cycling organizations. Pretty sure none or few of them work together.

TimmyB
03-14-2012, 01:14 AM
Living in the East Bay... there are conflicting rides every day of the week! Saturday and Sunday morning? You have a dozen to choose from! There is no coordination. Seems to work out just fine.

Bob Loblaw
03-14-2012, 07:06 AM
Sounds like you have a few options. That's a good thing.

If every local rides with the same group on the same night, it can get too big.

BL

weiwentg
03-14-2012, 07:20 AM
If so, do they work together?

The area I live in has a long-term tradition of not coordinating rides, leading to conflicting rides. I found out today a new weekly ride will be held in the same town on the same night as another long-standing ride. Both rides attract the same type of rider.

In my opinion, it just carves that pie into even smaller pieces.

If there's enough people, that might not be bad. It's unwieldy to have 20-30 people starting a ride from a city location with multiple traffic lights, and cars trying to pass on relatively narrow roads. You go single file, they have to pass a long line. You go two abreast, they have to move out farther. Either way they get angry.

Jaq
03-14-2012, 09:35 AM
LA's the same way. Half a dozen just on the west side alone. Some coordinate, others don't. And it seems that every high-end and not-so-high-end shop has a shop ride(s).

Which reminds me; with daylight savings back, the Rosebowl ride should be starting back up.

CaliFly
03-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Several groups just in our town (halfway between Los Angeles and Palm Springs)...enough riders to share the wealth. Sometimes they cross paths...they just smile and wave.