PDA

View Full Version : The creeping fingers of age

velotel
03-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Rode the Col du Granier sunday, from Chapareillen; that’s the hard side. Also the good going down side. No, not good. Friggin awesome. Like the hottest jazz group you know on the roll of their lives, hitting every emotion, knocking the notes into hyper glide non-stop. But I’m jumping ahead. I knew the climb was hard. Already done it, suffered every time. Went back for more. I must be seriously dysfunctional. Your basic battered cyclist syndrome. In spades.

This time was going to be different! I had a 34/27 for the festivities. Something easy to go to to relax a bit. Right. That’s what I mean by those creeping fingers of age. First time I rode the Granier, had a 39/26. Rode all the cols with that. Galib, Huez, Madeleine, etc. From time to time thought maybe a lower gear would be a good idea. Briefly. The years rolled by, no change. Then I splurged, got an Eriksen, full Record, compact, 34/50, 12-25. Going lower.

Found myself riding where I’d already been and wondering how the heck I did it with a 39/26. Bad sign. Started thinking I really should have gone for the 12-27. No, not yet. When I’m older. Seems to have arrived faster than I. The age bit. My mind and all that internal hurricane of feelings and desires are still back there in the 20’s somewhere. Or maybe 30’s. No, there wasn’t all that much difference between the two. The body doesn’t share that idea that’s nothing changed. Like on the Granier. The legs were scrambling looking for more power. Anywhere. An EPO injection station would have been good. Instead the road just ramped up again. The arms were aching. The only part that wasn’t suffering was my butt; it was floating along on holiday, hardly ever touching the saddle, floating in the air. The rest of me wasn’t floating.
The internals were all screaming go, go, go, go. No respect. Zero. Shifting up a gear absolutely out of the question. And long ago I rode this in 39/26 and even shifted up a cog on the easy bits. Apparently they changed the road, eliminated the easy bits. Added more hard bits. Only acceptable explication. Either that or those bloody creeping fingers of age messing with my rhythm. Not sure rhythm is really the appropriate word here. Automatically means one movement following another. Normally without an extended time period between the two.

Like sex, finally arrived at the end, exhausted. And not looking for more. Either had to laugh or cry because this was just about half the climb up Ventoux. And I was whipped, teetering into the dream dumpster, recycled fantasies swirling down the drain because in a couple of weeks I’m going to be doing the Ventoux. With my son. Well, at least we’ll both be on the mountain at the same time. It’ll be good for him; he can do a double. You know, ride to the summit, ride down, say hello to dad, turn around, ride back up. And probably wait some more. Damn, those fingers of age creeping in unseen and spoiling a perfectly good day.

The idea was that a 12-27 would give me a rest gear, not a survival gear. Pressed on anyway. No one else out there. Okay with me. I’m slow but still hate being passed. I mean it doesn’t bother me, being passed, life is like that, I go as fast as I can, others go as fast as they can. I hate it when they pass me. I’d stick my pump in their spokes if I had a long one. Actually I wouldn’t. Watching them walk, not run, up the road after me would be too embarrassing.

I get there, the col. Now it’s down. Gravity, the wonderful equalizer. Especially when the grades are steep. Like on the Granier. Massive gravity accelerations. But sweet. The curves bending to gravity, a little braking, refining the line, carving through, letting go, passing over to gravity. Unreal. I’d forgotten just how fine a downhill this is. Perfect. Feathering the brakes, rolling to the outside, looking, it’s clear, diving in, carving through, letting go, gravity giving wings. Hitting all the notes, lost in the rhythm, the fingers of age tossed aside. Feels so good. Just like 20, 30, 40 years before. Nothing’s changed. Still crazy after all these years. Just slower.

HenryA
03-13-2012, 04:30 PM
This is about the finest post I've ever read on a cycling forum!

I recognize the feelings expressed all too well. All too danged well.
But I still wish I could have been there suffering like a pig along with you.

Thanks for the story!

Fixed
03-13-2012, 04:34 PM
cool tale
keep riding
cheers :beer:

firerescuefin
03-13-2012, 04:44 PM
It appears the increased ventilation to your noggin is enhancing your writing skills..

Enjoyed that, especially the closing paragraph.

You captured most of what I love about cycling and why I feel so clean at the end of a long hard ride. :beer:

1centaur
03-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Having a bad day on a climb - you'll have better ones.

Not being able to make the decisions and execute them on the way down, that's a scary door to go through.

alexstar
03-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Great read... thanks!

FlashUNC
03-13-2012, 06:33 PM
I hate you. And I mean that in the nicest way possible. More please!

Ken Robb
03-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Let me tell you about my Rivendell Allrounder with 52-42-30 turning an 11-34 cassette. Sometimes I just NEED it. :beer:

Ralph
03-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Let me tell you about my Rivendell Allrounder with 52-42-30 turning an 11-34 cassette. Sometimes I just NEED it. :beer:

I know what you mean. Nice original post.

hammerdocnomo
03-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Great tale of a shared reality....Your prose was moving and inspiring! Thanks :beer:

palincss
03-13-2012, 08:02 PM

You say that as though a 30 front 34 rear was a low gear. Come on, Ken: you can get a 24T granny ring on that 74mm bolt circle. Now a 24 front 34 rear, that is a low gear!

oliver1850
03-13-2012, 08:51 PM
I did a solo century today. I didn't have a plan at all when I left home, but it was as perfect a day as we ever get and I kept biting off more and more miles as I went along. I got along pretty well until the 85 mile range, when my back had had enough. Last 10 miles it was all I could do to keep pedalling, riding the brakes down the hills because my fingers were so numb I couldn't feel the bar, back on the verge of full lock up. I don't see how people that do really long rides manage them. Every century I've ever done has hurt me. Every time I do one, I think it should be the last. But I'm already thinking about tomorrow's weather, and where I might ride, slowly.

rounder
03-13-2012, 09:01 PM
You should sign up for the seagull century. The first rest stop is at a country club with a band playing. At one point you have to ride over a bridge and wild ponies are there to greet you (elevation probably 30'). At the last rest stop, they give you apple pie and ice cream with another band playing!! Then you finish at the college where people are cheering for you. It ain't no killer...it is like being on vacation.

roydyates
03-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Rode the Col du Granier sunday, from Chapareillen; that’s the hard side ... Like sex, finally arrived at the end, exhausted. And not looking for more...

So the whole ride was 15-20 minutes? :rolleyes:

Ken Robb
03-13-2012, 09:18 PM
You say that as though a 30 front 34 rear was a low gear. Come on, Ken: you can get a 24T granny ring on that 74mm bolt circle. Now a 24 front 34 rear, that is a low gear!

In my box of treasures I have a TA Zephyr with 48-38-28 mounted plus 26 and 24 small rings yet-to-be-mounted.

I also have a Sugino w/ 46-36-26 so I hope to be ready when I'm as old as you. :beer:

thwart
03-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Great story.

And everyone here, even the twenty-somethings, will get there much sooner than they think... the fingers of age, indeed.

velotel
03-14-2012, 01:01 AM
So the whole ride was 15-20 minutes? :rolleyes:
Good laugh on that. Like most coins, there are two sides. In this instance everything takes longer with age. That's why young women like older men; they're never in a hurry.

wooly
03-14-2012, 07:09 AM
Velotel - you are a great story teller. I enjoyed that. And am feeling the signs of aging too. In my head I'm still 20 though.

fuzzalow
03-14-2012, 07:27 AM
The older I get, the faster I was.

soulspinner
03-14-2012, 08:32 AM
The fingers have already tightened their grip on me. Was out with three friends the other day. 56 aint 26. :rolleyes:

vsefiream
03-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Increadible read, thanks Ken. Personally I hate climbs but I have learned to attack them head on, definitly wouldn't work on a climb like Ken described. Luckily there are no climbs like that here. I lust for a downhill like that though.

deanster
03-14-2012, 10:16 AM
In my box of treasures I have a TA Zephyr with 48-38-28 mounted plus 26 and 24 small rings yet-to-be-mounted.

I also have a Sugino w/ 46-36-26 so I hope to be ready when I'm as old as you. :beer:

Riding the Alpes and Dolomites its nice to have the low gears. I had a 50/39/26 and 11-34 setup and on the greater than 17% climbs I was in the lowest gear possible. Nice getting beyond the ego and not worrying about riders passing but, simply about getting to the top of a climb like Passo dello Stevio and enjoying a cold beer. Approaching 70 and still have my knees...love those low gears!

velotel
03-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Riding the Alpes and Dolomites its nice to have the low gears. I had a 50/39/26 and 11-34 setup and on the greater than 17% climbs I was in the lowest gear possible. Nice getting beyond the ego and not worrying about riders passing but, simply about getting to the top of a climb like Passo dello Stevio and enjoying a cold beer. Approaching 70 and still have my knees...love those low gears!
Me too, approaching 70, still have excellent knees, not ready to go to a triple. I like the compact. Here's a link for the profile. The TdF goes up this year. Spotted where I'll go - maybe - to shoot some pics when they go by. Too bad it's so early in the stage. I'll ride there from my house.
Col du Granier profile (http://www.cols-cyclisme.com/images/courbes/106.gif)

1centaur
03-14-2012, 10:57 AM
18% for a K with plenty of steep after that - way to split up the peloton.

MadRocketSci
03-14-2012, 11:01 AM
i still want to be you when i grow up :)

Fixed
03-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Good laugh on that. Like most coins, there are two sides. In this instance everything takes longer with age. That's why young women like older men; they're never in a hurry.
p.o.t.d.
cheers imho
i like you

sc53
03-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Velotel, great writing, thanks for the post and for your other ride reports that typically have pix attached! The fingers of age are, in my case, a clenched fist, and it has me well in its grip most mornings when I wake up and groan and hobble around for a while till I "warm up."

velotel
03-14-2012, 12:39 PM
i still want to be you when i grow up :)
No you don't, believe me, because I still haven't grown up! You'd also have to throw your head lid away!

velotel
03-14-2012, 12:40 PM
p.o.t.d.
cheers imho
i like you
Okay, showing my age or how far out of 'it' I am, what is p.o.t.d.?

firerescuefin
03-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Post of the day

cody.wms
03-14-2012, 12:45 PM
POTD= Post of the day. I agree with Fixed bro, this was great.

I'll take a good ride report, especially one as well written as this, over Shimano v. Sram v. Campy any day of the week.

old_fat_and_slow
03-14-2012, 01:15 PM

thinpin
03-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Got to admit, I approached this thread like a kid picking up a copy of National Geographic and dived in looking for the pictures!
Hey, nice read Veltotel.

Ken Robb
03-14-2012, 03:08 PM
"finger of age" gets me imagining I hear the snap of a rubber glove. :rolleyes: :beer:

OperaLover
03-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Hey Velotel how old is "old?" If you don't mind sharing. I hit 50 two days ago and am trying to decide if I should get the compact crank.

tv_vt
03-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Velotel,

Good post. At age 58, I can relate. My benchmarks aren't the Alps, they're the gaps of Vermont. Years ago, I could ride them with a 39x21. Now I'm using your set up, or even 34x30.

(That's where you're headed next, by the way :) )

Cheers,

Thom

velotel
03-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Hey Velotel how old is "old?" If you don't mind sharing. I hit 50 two days ago and am trying to decide if I should get the compact crank.
In a month, 67. No pics because it wasn't a day for shooting plus most of the time the road's in a forest. Nice view of Mont Blanc from the col though. I'll have to search around a bit and see if I can some shots from another time there.

velotel
03-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Velotel,

Good post. At age 58, I can relate. My benchmarks aren't the Alps, they're the gaps of Vermont. Years ago, I could ride them with a 39x21. Now I'm using your set up, or even 34x30.

(That's where you're headed next, by the way :) )

Cheers,

Thom
Someday a 34/29 probably. Campy compact drive, thus the 29

palincss
03-14-2012, 03:51 PM
You should sign up for the seagull century. The first rest stop is at a country club with a band playing. At one point you have to ride over a bridge and wild ponies are there to greet you (elevation probably 30'). At the last rest stop, they give you apple pie and ice cream with another band playing!! Then you finish at the college where people are cheering for you. It ain't no killer...it is like being on vacation.

That's the "old" route. On the "new" route (goes to Public Landing rather than Assateague Island) the country club is the last stop rather than the first. No bridge, about 4,000 fewer people, but the wind is just the same.

palincss
03-14-2012, 03:55 PM

Son, you are already as old as me.

I had a TA Zephyr once; it cracked. I replaced it with an XTR M900. In fact, I have 3 of them: 26/36/48 and 24/36/46. It's nice to have a meaningful granny. You don't even notice you've got it -- I've gotten business cards that weigh more -- until you need it, but when you do, it sure is nice to have!

palincss
03-14-2012, 04:02 PM
"finger of age" gets me imagining I hear the snap of a rubber glove. :rolleyes: :beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBMsPNI6EZE

thinpin
03-14-2012, 04:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBMsPNI6EZE
He makes me laugh till I cry. Saw him once in Edinbourgh, and I was sore for 3 days afterwards, had to lie down in the isle I laughed so hard.

Ken Robb
03-14-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks Steve. I just watched the Connolly bit and I laughed so hard I scared the dogs--------no kidding. :beer:

palincss
03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
And to think, I'll be living it on Sunday night!

Ken Robb
03-14-2012, 05:56 PM
And to think, I'll be living it on Sunday night!

You will be a lightweight climber Monday afternoon. :) I only wish mine involved a few tablets rather than the salty fluid I had to drink. :beer:

thinpin
03-14-2012, 07:33 PM
How can such a delightful original post end up down here!
Had mine two weeks ago so thats it for another two years :banana:
The joys of Crohns :rolleyes:

Fixed
03-14-2012, 07:45 PM
needs a sticky for a few days
maybe ?
cheers :beer:

Elefantino
03-14-2012, 08:52 PM
One of the bright spots about being unfortunately transformed into a Newtonian cyclist is that while the fight against gravity requires skills that in some of us diminish more rapidly than in others, gravity helping hand accentuates the nuanced stills that only years of going downhill fast can hone.

In other words, on your left, young whippersnappers.

tiretrax
03-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Yes, the thread degenerated, but he was so funny. I thought of the Space Shuttle taking off after drinking that horrid fluid. I did feel different afterwards, and I haven't had any bad food since that time, other than cake.

572cv
03-15-2012, 08:39 PM
This was such an evocative post. I had to pass it on to fellow age challenged cycling pals, then absorb it a few times. Thanks Velotel, and good luck on the Ventoux. It is on our list to get to it this year, with as much grace as can be mustered, if not as much speed as might be wished.

basilic
03-16-2012, 02:41 AM
Velotel, you're full of it. Old age? its's March! It's been too cold to ride all of February. So you struggle up the first col with stretches above 10%, and that's surprising why? next month you'll have your legs back. I'm looking forward to the poetic post about the rejuvenating effect of spring, sap rising up the metaphorical tree, skirts getting shorter, etc.

thinpin
03-16-2012, 02:44 AM
Velotel, you're full of it. Old age? its's March! It's been too cold to ride all of February. So you struggle up the first col with stretches above 10%, and that's surprising why? next month you'll have your legs back. I'm looking forward to the poetic post about the rejuvenating effect of spring, sap rising up the metaphorical tree, skirts getting shorter, etc.
Sap!! :eek:
Good god no. Things got bad enough with ...well you know.

xodus
03-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Great read! I smiled and truly enjoyed reading this post. Being over 60, so many fingers of time has invaded my body that when I ride, I do so ignoring them since I can't do anything about that. It's the toes, I'm worried about! Thanks for sharing.