PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti 8:30am riders?

cisrael882000
03-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Any Pegoretti 8:30am riders out there?? Thinking about adding a Peg 8:30 to the collection. Just wanted some insights on ride quality/characteristics vs. Pegoretti steel which i have ridden and was amazing.

Steve in SLO
03-13-2012, 12:25 PM
I have one and the best way I can describe it is that it is somewhat stiff but not overly harsh, and somewhat quick steering. In comparison to my Merckx Team SC (Scandium) it has a bit more road buzz, but this may be somewhat tire/wheel dependent. I am 180# and ride a 59cm, FWIW. It is certainly not a buttery smooth frame, and maybe a bit too stiff in smaller sizes with lighter riders, but I like to feel the road, so I like it.

MadRocketSci
03-13-2012, 01:52 PM
I love my 55cm 8:30am. It's stiff enough for a race bike, no-nonsense, looks great in stealth blue with white tape and saddle, and rides like cold butter. Now...the caveats are that it's not lightweight, but it feels good so I don't care. I also think wheel choice is pretty important with this frame - i'm running mine with neutrons which are probably a significant contributor to the feel of the whole system. My advice would be to steer clear from anything that says ksyrium on it.

My feeling is that the Gaulzetti Corsa is basically an inspired update of this and the Fina Estampa - round tubed 7000 series aluminum frames...nothing complicated and all you need in a race bike. If you don't mind not having the latest oversized headtube/tapered steerer, using an italian bb, and no ISP, i'd say go for it, if it has under 10k miles on it. According to Above Category, 20k miles is about when you start thinking about fatigue life limits.

cisrael882000
03-14-2012, 09:12 AM
thanks for the insights. all very helpful. sounds like a great bike, but not really suited to what I'm looking for. I'm on the smaller/lighter side and have ridden ksyriums for a while.

texbike
03-14-2012, 09:26 AM
I had a Fina Estampa which I equate to being very similar to the 8:30 (non scandium aluminum tubeset). I LOVED that bike -one of the best that I have ever owned!

It wasn't light. However, I never found it to be harsh riding (I'm 160 lbs and it was a 55 cm). The bike was sold to fund the purchase of a steel Peg, but I liked the Fina more.

I do agree that a wheelset can make a difference on the bike. I had a set of Easton Circuits on the bike and it felt great. However, I also ran a set of Mavic K SLs on it regularly and felt that it really brought the bike to life.

As long as the price is reasonable, you can't go wrong. Try it out. You can always sell it if you don't like it.

Cheers,

Texbike

MadRocketSci
03-14-2012, 10:59 AM
thanks for the insights. all very helpful. sounds like a great bike, but not really suited to what I'm looking for. I'm on the smaller/lighter side and have ridden ksyriums for a while.

if you've liked the ride of a stiff frame with ksyriums, then you still might like them with the 8:30am. Me, I just have an unnatural hatred for that wheelset..so take that comment with the grain of salt...

harryblack
03-14-2012, 01:12 PM
Same here, except I had a 54, and ride 150-155 lbs... Got it closeout from CC back in 2003, rode and raced it hard 2004-2011, without slightest concern for durability other than that I care for my bikes well...

... And ended up with a cracked bottom bracket! Maybe it was gravel roads, maybe insane NYC rough roads and potholes, maybe fatigue life... I did not ride my prior Canndondales (Caad 4 and Caad 5) as much, though they def. had more durable paint. The Peg definitely tended to chip.

Other than 'pretty good' wheels I'm not too picky, rode everything from 25 clinchers to 21 tubies on different hoops, depending on the situation.

The cracked BB ** does ** have me wary about picking up a used Fina, 8:30 or Love if one came up in my size.

Curious what others experiences with Peg alu frames are. I did sell the busted fram as busted to a TIG welder/Peg fan, said he was going to try to put repair it but I don't know how that turned out.

I had a Fina Estampa which I equate to being very similar to the 8:30 (non scandium aluminum tubeset). I LOVED that bike -one of the best that I have ever owned!

It wasn't light however I never found it to be harsh riding (I'm 160 lbs and it was a 55 cm). It was sold to fund the purchase of a steel Peg, but I liked the Fina more.

I do agree that a wheelset can make a difference on the bike. I had a set of Easton Circuits on the bike and it felt great. However, I also ran a set of Mavic K SLs on it and felt that it really brought the bike to life.

As long as the price is reasonable, you can't go wrong. Try it out and if you don't like it, you can always sell it.

Cheers,

Texbike

MadRocketSci
03-14-2012, 01:21 PM
i'd say if you put on around 3000 miles a year for 8 years, you pretty much got everything the frame had to give. According to Chad at AC, according to DP, frame is probably good for around 40,000 Km IIRC (25,000 miles). BB sees a lot of cyclical stress, welded beads are stress risers...

one of the disadvantages of AL - it will die a certain death from fatigue...

akelman
03-14-2012, 01:27 PM
i'd say if you put on around 3000 miles a year for 8 years, you pretty much got everything the frame had to give. According to Chad at AC, according to DP, frame is probably good for around 40,000 Km IIRC (25,000 miles). BB sees a lot of cyclical stress, welded beads are stress risers...

Wait, what? Frames are designed for a 25,000 mile lifespan? Are you talking about one particular material? Or is this just a general rule of thumb to be applied across the board?

akelman
03-14-2012, 01:29 PM
Ah, your edit, which you added after I finished posting my comment, suggests that you are talking particularly about aluminum. Huh, I guess that still surprises me, but since I have almost no experience with aluminum frames (I had a bonded Guerciotti at one point, but that's it), fair enough.

texbike
03-14-2012, 01:47 PM
I did not ride my prior Canndondales (Caad 4 and Caad 5) as much, though they def. had more durable paint. The Peg definitely tended to chip.

The paint quality was my only complaint about the bike. It was terrible!

Texbike

MadRocketSci
03-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Ah, your edit, which you added after I finished posting my comment, suggests that you are talking particularly about aluminum. Huh, I guess that still surprises me, but since I have almost no experience with aluminum frames (I had a bonded Guerciotti at one point, but that's it), fair enough.

Yes, i was referring specifically to AL alloys. Some are better than others; for example, i've read the scandium alloy used in the L#3 has better fatigue characteristics than straight 7005, but otoh, it uses less material (thinner walls), so it might be a wash. Ti supposedly does not have a fatigue limit, but regardless, you still hear of them cracking sometimes, just like any other frame material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatigue_limit

mirko
11-08-2012, 10:54 PM

It wasn't light. However, I never found it to be harsh riding (I'm 160 lbs and it was a 55 cm). The bike was sold to fund the purchase of a steel Peg, but I liked the Fina more.

I do agree that a wheelset can make a difference on the bike. I had a set of Easton Circuits on the bike and it felt great. However, I also ran a set of Mavic K SLs on it regularly and felt that it really brought the bike to life.

As long as the price is reasonable, you can't go wrong. Try it out. You can always sell it if you don't like it.

Cheers,

Texbike

I recently moved from a 59cm 8:30 to a 56cm Fina Estampa.
All of the 8:30's Campy Chorus components as well as the Mike Garcia built wheels, were transferred to the Fina. On the first ride I thought the tires were low on air because it absolutely was a more vertically compliant ride. That said, the Fina's ride quality is bright and every bit as stiff under torque as the 8:30.

mirko
11-08-2012, 10:56 PM
All of the 8:30's Campy Chorus components as well as the Mike Garcia built wheels, were transferred to the Fina. On the first ride I thought the tires were low on air because it absolutely was a more vertically compliant ride. That said, the Fina's ride quality is bright and every bit as stiff under torque as the 8:30.

All things being equal except the frames, they are both sweet rides.

mirko
11-08-2012, 10:58 PM

http://instagram.com/p/Q_ObWeq5gm/

LegendRider
11-09-2012, 09:10 AM
I had a Fina Estampa for about a year. Although it was a good, no-nonsense bike, the paint quality was poor and my heels would occasionally hit the massive chainstays. I'd guess the same would apply to the 8:30 AM.