PDA

View Full Version : My bike(s) is worth more $ than my car

vav
03-13-2012, 10:01 AM
As my 1996 Honda Accord just hit 205 000 mi., I proudly realized that a couple of my bikes are worth more. Anybody else on the same boat?

tuscanyswe
03-13-2012, 10:05 AM
As my 1996 Honda Accord just hit 205 000 mi., I proudly realized that a couple of my bikes are worth more. Anybody else on the same boat?

Ive never had a car that were worth more than my bike(s) :)

azrider
03-13-2012, 10:07 AM
1997 Honda Accord w/ 196,000 miles and a brand new Caad 10 w/ Sram Red and Reynolds tubulars on top of it.

Somehow I still feel like I'm winning.

cp43
03-13-2012, 10:08 AM
I have a '92 Corolla, I think a couple of my bikes are worth more than it is. Certainly all my bikes together are worth more than that car. However, due to a recent purchase (2010 Tacoma) I'm no longer in the bikes worth more than cars club.

:beer:

Chris

Fishbike
03-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Yup! Darn proud of the fact too! My car is an 2000 Acura CL with 187,000 + miles on it. It just keeps going. None of my bikes was super spendy, but I bet a few (e.g. the Sachs Cross, Moots Vamoots and soon to be built Renovo) would fetch more than my four-wheeled vehicle.

BCS
03-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Just traded in a '99 suburban for $2500. I have wheels that are worth as much

jr59
03-13-2012, 10:12 AM
I win...NO car

So even a wally world bike would win.

JLP
03-13-2012, 10:20 AM
This is not unusual, although I did recently taunt a friend of mine mercilessly who got a bike worth more than his newish Volvo.

Dave Wages
03-13-2012, 10:23 AM
I was thinking of this recently while I was driving around with both my NAHBS show bikes in the car, ('96 Honda Civic hatchback). Probably around $23,000 worth of bikes in a car with a blue book value of $400 or so?

That car just keeps getting the job done, and I love it, but the wife and I test drove a new Prius C this past weekend that was pretty cool. I wonder if my Civic could tell I've been with another car? ;)

witcombusa
03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Dave.....it KNOWS! ;)

That damn Honda of yours will live forever! (how many extra bikes per month to pay for the Prius?!)

I like nice (and yes expensiveish) cars, bikes, motorcycles, skis, etc.....

does that make me a bad person :p

David Kirk
03-13-2012, 10:32 AM
I find it interesting that we all seem to compare bike value to car value.......like when an uncle asks how much a bike costs and when hearing the reply says "I could buy a car for that much".

We all do it but it's odd. No one ever says 'that bike cost so much I could have bought a tractor!' or 'you could buy a super nice stainless steel side-by-side fridge for that'.

I wonder why we do that?

My car is worth much more than my bikes - if for no other reason that my personal bikes are always burned up test pieces that look like hell.

Funny stuff.

Dave

geoffkaplan
03-13-2012, 10:34 AM
'96 honda civic that keeps on rolling helped me rationalize buying that new serotta i'm waiting for. any day now... (oh, i hope i didn't make a huge mistake, especially after seeing the new web site and comments that followed here)

AngryScientist
03-13-2012, 10:35 AM
I wonder why we do that?

both very viable forms of transportation? just my guess.

AngryScientist
03-13-2012, 10:37 AM
'96 honda civic that keeps on rolling helped me rationalize buying that new serotta i'm waiting for. any day now... (oh, i hope i didn't make a huge mistake, especially after seeing the new web site and comments that followed here)

not to worry geoff - Serotta my not have a clue how to build a website, but you wont find anyone to argue that all the bikes they build are top notch, first class machines.

jr59
03-13-2012, 10:57 AM
I find it interesting that we all seem to compare bike value to car value.......like when an uncle asks how much a bike costs and when hearing the reply says "I could buy a car for that much".

We all do it but it's odd. No one ever says 'that bike cost so much I could have bought a tractor!' or 'you could buy a super nice stainless steel side-by-side fridge for that'.

I wonder why we do that?

My car is worth much more than my bikes - if for no other reason that my personal bikes are always burned up test pieces that look like hell.

Funny stuff.

Dave

Hey wait 1 min...

Don't you drive a lotus?

It would have to be a VERY, very nice bike to out price a lotus.

I think....seeing I have no idea what a lotus cost. :p

Viper
03-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Lotus? $8K bikes? Careful...someone will Occupy your driveway and scream, "We are the 32% of spokes!"

:beer:

pdmtong
03-13-2012, 11:05 AM
My honda prelude had 280k before I sold it for $400...3 timing belts, shaved head, worn speedo cable, mutliple starters...it just kept going until one day my wife declared it unfit for riding in and I concured

Nowadays cars depreciate so fast, it;s easy for bikes to be worth more than cars, especially now that we have halo bikes

I think the comparison to cars is easily explained: outside of a house, a car is for many people simply the most expensive single thing they will buy, so anything else by default gets compared to the car.

I buy my cars and drive them into the ground. However here in silcon valley, it seems there are no shortage of cars that will always exceed the value of a bike...like the guy in a mercedes SLS AMG pulling out in front of me at bed bath and beyond sunday afternoon. he needed a new bath mat too.

oliver1850
03-13-2012, 11:12 AM
I bought this for $400 last summer. Hit in LF at an intersection, and had previously hit a deer in the RF, it was headed to the junkyard. $100 in suspension parts, some pop rivets and epoxy - it was good to go. I only drive 3 or 4 times a month, so I expect to be driving this 10 years from now.

I'm not sure I've got a bike worth $500, but I probably have that much in spare chains and cassettes.

AngryScientist
03-13-2012, 11:14 AM
My honda prelude ...

i wonder what bone head at honda decided to cut the prelude from the product line. that was a great car.

pdmtong
03-13-2012, 11:23 AM
i wonder what bone head at honda decided to cut the prelude from the product line. that was a great car.

Mine (not my personal car) was actually on the cover of road and track as well as car and driver since it was considered ground breaking at the time.

tuxbailey
03-13-2012, 11:23 AM

Absolutely. I had a Prelude Type SH and that was a fun car to drive.

tuxbailey
03-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Mine (not my personal car) was actually on the cover of road and track as well as car and driver since it was considered ground breaking at the time.

Edit (Deleted.) Reason: Failure to read.

John M
03-13-2012, 11:30 AM
I wonder why we do that?

The automobile is the most important retail product sold in the world.

I have a couple of bikes that are worth more than my car (1996 Geo Prizm).

Fixed
03-13-2012, 12:27 PM
i am never buying another car
i can't drive anymore
the last thing i want to do is hurt someone
cheers :beer:

firerescuefin
03-13-2012, 12:30 PM
PDMTong...4ws circa late 80s early 90s

Dan Le foot
03-13-2012, 12:57 PM
I'm showing my age but...
When I got back from Vietnam in 1969 the U. S. Government allowed me a car allowance of $3500. I bought a brand new '69 Camero with that $3500.
The 4 bikes in our stable cost about $6-7K each. :beer:
Dan

Joachim
03-13-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm showing my age but...
When I got back from Vietnam in 1969 the U. S. Government allowed me a car allowance of $3500. I bought a brand new '69 Camero with that $3500.
The 4 bikes in our stable cost about $6-7K each. :beer:
Dan

And how much is a 69 Camero worth now? :)

rpm
03-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Having bikes worth more than your car is a sign that you have your priorities straight. I have a 2000 Nissan Altima with 161,000 miles. My Serottas and Strongs are definitely worth more.

Joachim
03-13-2012, 01:01 PM
I am buying a Maserati Granturismo when I turn 50 so I'm waiting until then to reply to this thread.

phcollard
03-13-2012, 01:32 PM
We don't have a car. Sold the last one for $200 four months ago. So far we managed to survive :)

Gummee
03-13-2012, 01:34 PM
I bought this for $400 last summer. Hit in LF at an intersection, and had previously hit a deer in the RF, it was headed to the junkyard. $100 in suspension parts, some pop rivets and epoxy - it was good to go. I only drive 3 or 4 times a month, so I expect to be driving this 10 years from now.

I'm not sure I've got a bike worth $500, but I probably have that much in spare chains and cassettes.find a Rhode Gear En-Flyte rack for that and its an awesome bike hauler. I've heard rumors of a Yakima Hatchback kit, but I couldn't get anyone on tje phone to give me an answer about em.

Can ya tell the ex- had one?!

M

Ginger
03-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Have you priced real tractors lately?

jblande
03-13-2012, 03:07 PM
all my bikes are worth more than my car.

witcombusa
03-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Evidently my enjoying a fine automile as much as a fine bike (and other nice things) is contrary around here....

I ain't giving up ANYTHING! :banana: :beer:

FixedNotBroken
03-13-2012, 04:48 PM
My 2006 M3 with 19,000 miles..no. But on the other hand, my first car is a 1990 Honda Civic with 156,000 miles and my bike trumps it..after the build it will be a 12k dollar build..the M3 blue books for 40k or even a bit more. I haven't checked it in awhile. Good old Honda's FTW :)

fatallightning
03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
I had a 90 miata before the vette I have now, and the bikes were definitely worth more. Now, not so much.

oliver1850
03-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Have you priced real tractors lately?

I was thinking the same thing. You can buy lots of usable cars for $500, but tractors are another story. A 10 year old tractor like this is more suitable to a "my tractor is worth more than my house" discussion.

Ti Designs
03-13-2012, 09:45 PM
i am never buying another car
i can't drive anymore
the last thing i want to do is hurt someone

Does taking a pull over 30 MPH count as hurting someone???

choke
03-13-2012, 11:22 PM
5 or 6 years ago my answer would have easily been 'no'. I used to really be in to vehicles and drove something nice but as time has went by I have less and less interest in them. Now I probably have 3 bikes that are each worth more than the truck. However, my motorcycle is worth more than any of the bikes.

There is a saying which perfectly describes my view on the whole subject: "Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul."

jmoore
03-14-2012, 10:10 AM
as time has went by I have less and less interest in them.

This pretty much describes me. My main interest in a vehicle is whether it's paid off or not. I pay them off as soon as I can and then drive them until they disintegrate. My 2005 Silverado crew cab has 110k miles and is going strong. I'm expecting another 110k miles.

I have no idea what the value of that truck is or what any of my bikes are worth. They are all paid off so it doesn't make much difference.

My vehicle is there for utility. My bicycle is there for my personal joy.

vsefiream
03-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Evidently my enjoying a fine automile as much as a fine bike (and other nice things) is contrary around here....

I ain't giving up ANYTHING! :banana: :beer:
Definitly not the norm. We have three vehicles, a 2005 Mini van, my 2000 Dakota and my 78 Trans Am Fire Am. So far the Fire Am's value has the bikes out weighed single handedly.

goonster
03-14-2012, 10:51 AM
When I brought my tandem home, it was worth roughly three times more than the tired E30 that hauled it.

http://www.picpile.net/ims/pic_264UD99M/34537.jpg

slowgoing
03-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Never. Not willing to spend a lot on a single bike. Doubt I will ever have one worth over $5k. Still using square taper bb, will be a long time before I go to 11 speed.

witcombusa
03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Never. Not willing to spend a lot on a single bike. Doubt I will ever have one worth over $5k. Still using square taper bb, will be a long time before I go to 11 speed.

Hell I won't spend $2500 on a bike....... and I'll NEVER even go to a 10sp cluster!!! :no:

jpw
03-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Ive never had a car that were worth more than my bike(s) :)

I've never had a car.....

CaptStash
03-14-2012, 02:01 PM

I wonder why we do that?

Funny stuff.

Dave

I agree with Dave. It's a false analogy and sort of misleading.

Actually, bikes aren't that outrageously expensive compared to many other types of sporting equipment. I have a rowing shell that costs more than some cars. Heck just the oars were more than what some of the posters here say they got for their cars.

Look at the cost of a top quality set of golf clubs with bag and all. Upwards of $4,000. Factor in the cost of playing and cycling looks cheap. Anybody here ski? (Rhetorical question alert) After you pay ffor the skis, boots, poles and lift tickets, that Speedvagen in the classifieds begins to look like a smoking hot deal.

My point is that when you compare the value of a bike to that of a car, you are comparing apples to oranges. Our very expensive bicycles are pieces of sporting equipment, and generally not means of transportation. In fact many of us have so called beaters that we use when we need simple bicycle transportation.

And anyway, my truck seems to be holding its value and is still worth more than the bikes. :beer:

CaptStash....

COYO1
03-14-2012, 04:26 PM
I currently drive a 1998 Toyota Camary with 288,024 miles. The damn car won't die! I got it for "free" sort of. Here's the story. My wife gave the car to her ex-husband when they divorced back in 2002 as part of the settlement. He drove it for 6 years until he tried to trade it in for a new car and they would not give him more than $250 for the car. So he asked my wife if we wanted it back. We took it. It had a smashed hood (bungied down to the bumper, it had problems with over-heating because the radiator leaked from the dumb-arse hitting a pole in a parking lot). So as soon as I got it, I drove it to a Toyota salvage yard here in Denver called "Yotayard". As I was driving to the yard down I-25, the bungle cord broke, the hood flipped up and smashed the windshield. I had to pull over, put the hood back down and then drive super slow to avoid the same thing happening again. Once I got to the yard, they had a hood sitting there in my color (the luck!) and then agreed to install it for me as well as a new radiator. In order to get the hood to latch down, they used a steel chain hooked to a large fork lift and pulled the bumper back out until the car latched like it was supposed to. The hood cost $75 The radiator cost $190 and with labor I got out of there for approx $400 (no joke!) I then contacted Safelite who replaced the windshield for approx $200. So, with $600 invested, I now just get the oil changed and put gas in it and it has continued to drive on. I'd say that my Serotta CSI is probably worth $1500 (all Campy Record 10s and Mavic Ksyrium SLs) Frankly, I think that this car has allowed me to fund my cycling habit without the grief from my wife :)

Elefantino
03-14-2012, 04:31 PM
'02 Kia Sedona, 139,000 miles, never garaged, many dings, dents, paint on the driver's side front door plastic kick panel has chipped and peeled, etc.

However...

It has a black "Serotta" downtube decal set on the top of the windshield.

Priceless.

temeyone
03-14-2012, 04:45 PM
My 1993 Toyota Camry wagon doesn't even stand a chance. Even my beater is worth more. Love/hate that car.

witcombusa
03-14-2012, 05:23 PM
I find it hilarious that some of you are "proud" of the ****boxes you drive when you think nothing of spending 4-8k on a custom bike (or 2 or 4)

to each their own in life :beer:

witcombusa
03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
I agree with Dave. It's a false analogy and sort of misleading.

Actually, bikes aren't that outrageously expensive compared to many other types of sporting equipment. I have a rowing shell that costs more than some cars. Heck just the oars were more than what some of the posters here say they got for their cars.

Look at the cost of a top quality set of golf clubs with bag and all. Upwards of $4,000. Factor in the cost of playing and cycling looks cheap. Anybody here ski? (Rhetorical question alert) After you pay ffor the skis, boots, poles and lift tickets, that Speedvagen in the classifieds begins to look like a smoking hot deal.

My point is that when you compare the value of a bike to that of a car, you are comparing apples to oranges. Our very expensive bicycles are pieces of sporting equipment, and generally not means of transportation. In fact many of us have so called beaters that we use when we need simple bicycle transportation.

And anyway, my truck seems to be holding its value and is still worth more than the bikes. :beer:

CaptStash....

Yes, I ski. I'm missing the point you are trying to make. Ski equipment costs money just like cycling equipment....so?

Cars can also be sporting equipment from which much pleasure can be had (an take you places too) kinda like bikes, and motorcycles, and.........

alexstar
03-14-2012, 05:38 PM
I find it hilarious that some of you are "proud" of the ****boxes you drive when you think nothing of spending 4-8k on a custom bike (or 2 or 4)

to each their own in life :beer:

It's all about priorities.. I don't even have a car. The money I save goes into the bike fund :banana: (and 401k, etc)

choke
03-14-2012, 07:14 PM

to each their own in life :beer:Laugh away. :beer: As alexstar said it's all about priorities and what's important to you....I paid less for my last vehicle than I did my watch. And as I said, there was a time when I was very into automobiles - I read every magazine, knew tons of specs, etc. etc. If I would have won the lottery back then I'd have had a collection to rival Jay Leno. Now all I want is for it to get me from Point A to Point B and to be simple enough for me to work on. Admittedly, if I did win the lotto now I would likely buy a few vehicles that I've always wanted; an Espada, a Lotus Europa, a (3rd gen) Quattroporte and a 450SEL 6.9. I wouldn't even give a look at anything made after around '95 though.

But I can think of about 20 motorcycles I'd be all over (and that's just a start). :)

CaptStash
03-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Yes, I ski. I'm missing the point you are trying to make. Ski equipment costs money just like cycling equipment....so?

Cars can also be sporting equipment from which much pleasure can be had (an take you places too) kinda like bikes, and motorcycles, and.........

I was sort of afraid I hadn't made my point very clearly. All I was trying to say w that having a multi-thousand dollar bike is not as extravagant Asti first sounds when compared to the costs of other sports equipment. And that comparing the cost of a bike to the cost of a car was, as I said, comparing apples and oranges. No judgements implied.

CaptStash....