PDA

View Full Version : Serotta and road tubeless

dekindy
03-12-2012, 07:14 PM
A riding buddy that know a lot about bikes adopted the original Shimano 7801-SL road tubeless wheels and was impressed with them. For a couple of years I was the only other one until recently others have done a Stan's conversion application on their Ksyriums and now use tubeless tires.

I was just looking at the Serotta gallery and they feature Hutchinson Road Tubeless/Zipp 101 on a Meivici. Since the Zipp 101 requires rim tape and is not a road tubeless design this application would require the full road tubeless conversion kit of special rim tape, sealant, and valve stems from either Stan's or Caffelatex.

Anybody have any information on this and Serotta's take on road tubeless?

For what it's worth the mechanics at my LBS say my Legend SE ST with carbon seatstays / F3 fork / Shimano 7850-SL road tubeless wheels / Hutchinson road tubeless tires / is the smoothest combination they have ridden.

dekindy
03-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Since I had started this thread here and another forum and got no reply I used the Contact Us form on Serotta's webiste and received this prompt reply.

"Tubeless tires - Yes, we converted the Zipp 101s for tubeless. It's common practice to do this with many non-tubeless rims and we've also done it with HED. Many of us at the factory ride them in the winter and some will even race on them. Stan's NoTubes has done a great job promoting the tubeless concept for road bikes. They are sponsoring many elite and grassroots teams as well as entire race series. The only current limitation is there are only 2 tires available but soon the IRC Formula will be in the US.

Best,
Steven

Steven LeBoyer
Director, Fit Lab Services
Serotta"

Omitted telephone number and a reference to another question that I had asked.