PDA

View Full Version : Hed Stinger 5.0/first impression

Spicoli
08-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Okey Dokey kids, Here comes some more useless opinions. I asked a few questions a while ago about Hed wheels and wound up getting a pair with very little feedback. So here are my thoughts after a pretty rough week of use and abuse.

They showed up on Thursday morning and I rode them that night with mushy glue. My first thought was either Im having a good day or, there is no wind to speak of or,low air pressure , I dont know. Keep in mind I'm goin easy since I am racing Fri. night and Sat. morning but I am frikken flying for the amount of effort I was putting in. I am putting in about a 75% effort and my speed on this route is at about an 85% effort.

Friday, circiut race. Four man break and they still feel fast. They really wake up at speed, almost feels as if they get faster the faster you go. Almost effortless between 25-30mph. Not to get in a pissing match with my 404's but I never had this feel with them and I loved my Zipps. They are not whippy either, plenty stiff for sprinting. You dont get that rings going around Saturn feeling with them, nice and tight without the extreme woosh woosh noise. Sprint from the break and hurray for me I win!(must be the wheels)

Saturday,another cicuit. This time working for a teamate. Same feel with the only real effort was bringing back a four up break with about six miles to go to set up a feild sprint for a teamate. Got the break back, kinda butched my boys leadout but he still got second and won the overall for the series, Hurray again! These things are still feelin fast.

Sunday morning group hammerfest, 56mile torture ride which is usually much harder than a race. Start doing two minute efforts on thefront and this seals the deal for me. These things are much better than what I have been using. Light enough at 880R/630F 1510gr. for the set on my scale. Super stiff in the sprint 5'11" 175-185lbs depends on time of year and sprinting is my strongpoint so these suckers are doin alright so far. The aero thing I cannot put my finger on, they are 8mm shallower than my 404's but feel like my fricken disc? I cannot believe how comfortable they are above say 24mph. They almost feel better at speed.

Out of the box they look super tough, I check the the tension and its even all the way around. Super clean layup and build, the hubs are very precise with no slop and spin forever. Only gripe so far is that they are about 100grams over the claimed weight for the set which really is not terrible compared to most other builders.

Folks I am impressed so far. It almost seems like these guy's are a secret in the roadie world. I mean either there marketing sucks or those who have em are keepin it to themselves. I called them and told them afew things about what I was looking for and the Stingers are what they recommended for me. Well done, the only thing know is lets see if they stand the test of time? Happy, Very Happy!

Hed Stinger 5.0 carbon tubular only
Ti spoke front 18 bladed
SS spoke rear 24 bladed
Hed hubset alloy cass. body

Later, Jeff :bike:

CarbonCycles
08-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Nice write-up and thanks for sharing. Do you plan to use these as your daily's or just race day? I was tempted to pick up a pair for a new bike I'm pricing out.

Thanks in advance...

Bruce K
08-24-2005, 04:42 AM
CC

If you want an every day wheel and clinchers are OK go with the ALPS.

HED reccommends the Stingers as race wheels though based on my experience they will probably hold up pretty well.

Spicoli;

Glad you liked them so I am not on the hook. ;)

BK

Too Tall
08-24-2005, 06:38 AM
What a crock. I don't believe a word. Send them immediately to me for a truthful evaluation, you've LOST your MIND. PS - you suk ;)

hehe, don't you love it when great equipment and fitness meet in a perfect storm?

GREAT report Spicoli, that's neat stuff.

CarbonCycles
08-24-2005, 07:03 AM
CC

If you want an every day wheel and clinchers are OK go with the ALPS.

HED reccommends the Stingers as race wheels though based on my experience they will probably hold up pretty well.

Spicoli;

Glad you liked them so I am not on the hook. ;)

BK

Actually, I'm trying to get away from clinchers and make the move to tubulars. I am debating the 303s. Do you have any experience with these or any other recommendations? I live in Austin and it's a bit hilly and windy here.

Bruce K
08-24-2005, 07:31 AM
I don't have any experience with the Stingers. Spicoli is the first person I know who bought them.

I am on my thrid season with the ALPS wheels (clinchers). I am a heavier rider (range from 203 -215) and have about 4000 miles on them so far with more than satisfactory results.

I have ridden them at 2 RFR's without any issues, but any deep rim will be uncomfortable at times in big crosswinds.

If you have questions on their products HED is very responsive either by e-mail or telephone.

Given all the work they have done with Lance and other pros over the years, they may be the best kept secret in cycling.

BK

Spicoli
08-24-2005, 09:59 AM
First off Bruce, thank you for giving your thoughts on them, it was a huge part of my decision.

Carbon, Mostly race but I dont think everyday riding would be a problem. As far as 303's go, there is no comparison. Yugo vs. 911 the yugo may be lighter but which one do you think is faster? With my limited time on these they are so far ahead of 303's its not funny and thats a direct comparison. Save $600 and get the Heds. Call them and tell them what you are looking for since I know they wont adjust spoking on the Stingers but the Alps can be played with as far as more or less spokes go. Also the Alps have an alu. brake track which may be better for everyday wheels. Head to head the Stingers do everything better than either my 303's or 404's. Dont let being a touch heavier and slightly shallower fool you. The Heds are much faster than both "Z" wheelsets and especially the 303's, and I say that with no hesitation. As far windy rides are concerned, if you cant ride these in a certain wind, you wont be any better on wheels made by anyonelse. Faster and actually way cheaper than any others out there. But dont let Hed know that cause then were done!

Also if you get them and hate them "BLAME BRUCE" not me! HE HE HE

Tall Man, what am I gonna do with you? dont hate me cause Im pretty! give me your address you can have my Zipps now. --------------NOT :butt:

Argos
08-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Sorry, no. 303's are a lighter climbing wheel. Which would you rather Climb on.

And 404's, yeah go ahead and use you Heds for racing. There is a reason they are not around in the fields. 404's are faster/smoother/lighter/more aerodynamic. Better Quality, and customer service if there is a problem, better bearings.......

I'm glad you like them, they are good wheels, you got your moneys worth, no more, no less.

bostondrunk
08-24-2005, 10:14 AM
First off Bruce, thank you for giving your thoughts on them, it was a huge part of my decision.

Carbon, Mostly race but I dont think everyday riding would be a problem. As far as 303's go, there is no comparison. Yugo vs. 911 the yugo may be lighter but which one do you think is faster? With my limited time on these they are so far ahead of 303's its not funny and thats a direct comparison. Save $600 and get the Heds. Call them and tell them what you are looking for since I know they wont adjust spoking on the Stingers but the Alps can be played with as far as more or less spokes go. Also the Alps have an alu. brake track which may be better for everyday wheels. Head to head the Stingers do everything better than either my 303's or 404's. Dont let being a touch heavier and slightly shallower fool you. The Heds are much faster than both "Z" wheelsets and especially the 303's, and I say that with no hesitation. As far windy rides are concerned, if you cant ride these in a certain wind, you wont be any better on wheels made by anyonelse. Faster and actually way cheaper than any others out there. But dont let Hed know that cause then were done!

Also if you get them and hate them "BLAME BRUCE" not me! HE HE HE

Tall Man, what am I gonna do with you? dont hate me cause Im pretty! give me your address you can have my Zipps now. --------------NOT :butt:

I'm not clear on how a wheelset that is 200+ grams heavier is 'without hesitation' faster than 303's and 404's? Are the hubs -that- much smoother than Zipp's sealed bearings? How else can it be explained?
Maybe there is a bit of 'mental' work going on here?

Also, I don't think the stingers are $600 cheaper than 303's. The stingers are about $1100 a pair from HED. Its pretty easy to find Zipps at that price (not everyone shops at Competitive Cyclist...).

Not trying to bash your review or anything, just questioning...

weisan
08-24-2005, 10:16 AM
now you can get it cheap for slightly more than 700 bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7177805448

bostondrunk
08-24-2005, 10:18 AM
now you can get it cheap for slightly more than 700 bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7177805448

There is a big difference between 'new' and '650 race miles'..........
If you don't mind used, then yeah, its not such a bad deal.

Spicoli
08-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Sorry, no. 303's are a lighter climbing wheel. Which would you rather Climb on.

And 404's, yeah go ahead and use you Heds for racing. There is a reason they are not around in the fields. 404's are faster/smoother/lighter/more aerodynamic. Better Quality, and customer service if there is a problem, better bearings.......

I'm glad you like them, they are good wheels, you got your moneys worth, no more, no less.
Then why have my 303's been hanging on my wall for so long? I respect your zest for the zipps but the fact is I have them both and one is very dusty. 303's are not bad, they just are not very good at much either so ease up on the "YOUR WRONGs" GUY! Put your info out there, we are all adults here we can pick and choose. Do you have them all to compare? I am currently a rollin frikken wheelshootout and this is what I know to be true in relation to my preferences. I found the others to be noodly and yes going up a hill I want my effort to proppel me forward, not wind up the slack in my wheels first. Just my opinion. Ill eat the weight for performance and yes I have a race coming with a crapload of climbing, guess what wheels I will be using and thats not because I like the logo better. :confused:

Spicoli
08-24-2005, 10:45 AM
I'm not clear on how a wheelset that is 200+ grams heavier is 'without hesitation' faster than 303's and 404's? Are the hubs -that- much smoother than Zipp's sealed bearings? How else can it be explained?
Maybe there is a bit of 'mental' work going on here?

Also, I don't think the stingers are $600 cheaper than 303's. The stingers are about $1100 a pair from HED. Its pretty easy to find Zipps at that price (not everyone shops at Competitive Cyclist...).

Not trying to bash your review or anything, just questioning...
Not shopping around just grabbing numbers.
$980 from Hed

$1600 from excel for the Zipps

Dude I aint gettin paid for this, Dont know how or why but they are and its noticable. Before these my 404's were my go to wheels and I love them still but I am onto something with the Heds. Not saying this sarcasticly but if you like the Zipps by all means go with it. I think I found a new wheel guy. Also dont get me wrong either I was always on the Zipp side of the carbone/zipp debate? Dont know, I wish I could let you use both.

bostondrunk
08-24-2005, 10:47 AM
I have 404's, and most of my racing over the past few years has been at a weight of 175. We have lots of short, steep climbs, and I like to sprint as well, and I never get any brake pad rubbing, nor can I detect any flex from the wheels. I find they accelerate very fast. You say that the Zipps do nothing very well. I find they do just about everything quite well.
Maybe your set wasn't buit so well??

If you have no worries about the weight of your wheels, then I would have gone with the Mavic Carbones. Probably the highest quality out of all the typical aero wheels, and people claim they are the fastest....(I've never tried them..)..

Just my 2 cents....

Argos
08-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Then why have my 303's been hanging on my wall for so long? I respect your zest for the zipps but the fact is I have them both and one is very dusty. 303's are not bad, they just are not very good at much either so ease up on the "YOUR WRONGs" GUY! Put your info out there, we are all adults here we can pick and choose. Do you have them all to compare? I am currently a rollin frikken wheelshootout and this is what I know to be true in relation to my preferences. I found the others to be noodly and yes going up a hill I want my effort to proppel me forward, not wind up the slack in my wheels first. Just my opinion. Ill eat the weight for performance and yes I have a race coming with a crapload of climbing, guess what wheels I will be using and thats not because I like the logo better. :confused:

Yeah, I'm a wheelhouse, and I'm not talking about a place on a ship. I do not have HED's. I tried them, like I try most wheelsets out there, and I said "no way". Why would I put bricks on my bike? As for noodle-y 303's, maybe you should have a qualified shop or builder take a look at them, no? Maybe in your infinite power transfer your wheels lost tension.
You are on Long Island, shoot them over to Ergott's, he's a fantastic wheelbuilder, and an authorized Zipp repair center. He'll retension, repair, or have them warranteed. If you are getting better performance out of HED's then 303's, something is wrong, end of story.

You are doing the Friday night series, is this Cline?

Spicoli
08-24-2005, 11:00 AM
I have 404's, and most of my racing over the past few years has been at a weight of 175. We have lots of short, steep climbs, and I like to sprint as well, and I never get any brake pad rubbing, nor can I detect any flex from the wheels. I find they accelerate very fast. You say that the Zipps do nothing very well. I find they do just about everything quite well.
Maybe your set wasn't buit so well??

If you have no worries about the weight of your wheels, then I would have gone with the Mavic Carbones. Probably the highest quality out of all the typical aero wheels, and people claim they are the fastest....(I've never tried them..)..

Just my 2 cents....
Either I worded it wrong or I was misread but I never had any complaints with my 404's They are an awesome wheelset and I am not getting rid of them either. The Heds feel much the same and a bit better at speed, but close. The 303's I cannot force myself to like. 404's do most everything well, he asked about 303's and thats what I was refering to.

Argos
08-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Head to head the Stingers do everything better than either my 303's or 404's.

Spicoli
08-24-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah, I'm a wheelhouse, and I'm not talking about a place on a ship. I do not have HED's. I tried them, like I try most wheelsets out there, and I said "no way". Why would I put bricks on my bike? As for noodle-y 303's, maybe you should have a qualified shop or builder take a look at them, no? Maybe in your infinite power transfer your wheels lost tension.
You are on Long Island, shoot them over to Ergott's, he's a fantastic wheelbuilder, and an authorized Zipp repair center. He'll retension, repair, or have them warranteed. If you are getting better performance out of HED's then 303's, something is wrong, end of story.

You are doing the Friday night series, is this Cline?
Wow are you angry! "infinite power transfer" now we are getting personal. Do I know you? and have I slighted you in anyway. There is nothing wrong with the wheels, other than the fact that I dont like them and this has been hashed out a thousand and one times on this forum. So if you are proclaiming yourself as an expert please do so and enlighten us. For I am not a self proclaimed wheel expert but I do currently have the wheels we are discussing and did give my opinions in a direct comparison. So that being said,

Yes, My name is Jeff Cline, I am a father of four children the oldest being four happily married with one 14yearold dog and living on Long Island. I enjoy surfing, cycling and arguing with angry people online.

So Argos, who are you and what do you enjoy?

bostondrunk
08-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Wow are you angry! "infinite power transfer" now we are getting personal. Do I know you? and have I slighted you in anyway. There is nothing wrong with the wheels, other than the fact that I dont like them and this has been hashed out a thousand and one times on this forum. So if you are proclaiming yourself as an expert please do so and enlighten us. For I am not a self proclaimed wheel expert but I do currently have the wheels we are discussing and did give my opinions in a direct comparison. So that being said,

Yes, My name is Jeff Cline, I am a father of four children the oldest being four happily married with one 14yearold dog and living on Long Island. I enjoy surfing, cycling and arguing with angry people online.

So Argos, who are you and what do you enjoy?

I'm BD, and I have a drinking problem....:)

I think most of the comments from us were more just aimed at the fact that you pretty much stated Zipps were no good compared to HED's, and we were just questioning that line of logic........Nothing wrong with reviewing a set of wheels you like. And I admit, I've never tried the 303's, only 404's. But even the 404's are lighter than the HED's.... ;) :beer:

Argos
08-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Yeah, Jeff, what BD said. Your reading too much into it. The "Infinite Power Transfer" was not a dig. Anyone that can beat Joe Z is more than qualified to lay down Watts! But some of your original post did go after Zipp, not just 303's, which is what sounded.... odd. Whatever, enjoy the wheels.

Jason

Spicoli
08-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Yeah, Jeff, what BD said. Your reading too much into it. The "Infinite Power Transfer" was not a dig. Anyone that can beat Joe Z is more than qualified to lay down Watts! But some of your original post did go after Zipp, not just 303's, which is what sounded.... odd. Whatever, enjoy the wheels.

Jason
Maybe some of my dislikes of 303's got spilt onto the 404's but I wish I could loan these suckers out, I am that happy so far. Maybe Mavic is right and weights not everything in deep aero wheel? Its not that much of a weight diff. from a 404 and I would guess that most is at the hub since Zipps hubs are stupid light so the rotational weight may be around the same.

Just to clarify -dont like 303
-do like 404
-do like Heds

Oh yeah Jason, you think I forgot Whats your life story? I want fav.color,books, movies, where you are tickleish common dude! (you do know I am kidding right)

Too Tall
08-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Am I the only person, plant or organically evolved synthetic program to recognize an endorphine induced gleeful report and just take it for what it is????? Loved the review, still do. Rock on.

PS - I got the 303's and my dog thinks they are fun to fetch. Really light and I can sling them like....30 yards. He says thanks too. ;)

Argos
08-24-2005, 01:55 PM
Well, I like romantic walks on the beach, Chinese poetry, and am looking for a Woman that shares an interest in.........

CarbonCycles
08-24-2005, 04:09 PM
I want to say thank you to all the ppl who gave their inputs on the 303s. I think I've now been able to further narrow down my choices.

Thanks again...

Too Tall
08-24-2005, 06:05 PM
Hmmm? You think CC is messing with us?

Argos
08-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Not sure, TT. We did not really discuss them for their own merits. Lightweight, fast acceleration, climbing without frailty. They are definitely not sprinters wheels, as Spicoli points out, for the plus-155lb club, but not a bad choice if you are a little pocket sprinter.....

Anyway, I would think they would deserve their own discussion, as opposed to my angry assult rant.....

CarbonCycles
08-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Hmmm? You think CC is messing with us?

I hope not...I already had my preconceived opinion on them...just wanted to hear others voice their opinions. I've been researching wheels for a bit and had narrowed down my choices to Zipps, Nimbles and HED. Nimble is local in Austin, but the others, I just wanted to get some blunt feedback (from others outside of the Austin community) on what ppl thought.

Argos
08-24-2005, 11:09 PM
Well, CC, since we are here, what are you looking for out of a wheel?

CarbonCycles
08-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Basically looking to make the switch to tubulars and was interested in an aero wheel as well. Basically, I want a decent training wheel with a low-to-med profile that is decent for hilly terrain that doesn't suffer terribly in crosswinds. That is it for the basics on usage. I prefer a stiff wheel with low spoke count when possible. I'm a believer in technology so I avoid companies that surround themselves with more marketing than engineering which is what prompted me to ask my question.

Spicoli
08-25-2005, 12:07 AM
We should have a 303 chucking contest. I think my personal best is only 28.6 so you got me as of now, but with some practice I think I can catch up to ya. It could be so cool, we could have lefty and righty divisions, male/female ect. You could get Mrs. Tall in on it and I'll get my wife Morgan Fairchild too, yeah thats it. :banana: 2012 olympics, "Now throwing for the USA" Too Tall "with a good throw here he could beat Spicoli's 2008 Goodwill Games record of 32'6" OH YES HE DID IT 33.2 A NEW 303 suck-a-chuck record for the tall man!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :butt:

To those I may have offended, I truly am sorry. :no: and dont steal my idea I want credit for the game.

Oh yeah, clinchers suck too. and the French press and 303's

I feel better know :D

Too Tall
08-25-2005, 07:45 AM
Phew...that was a good'n Spicoli :cool: Reminds me of the "Huffy Toss" contest at mtn bike races waaay long ago.

CC - Seriously, I'm a big fan of Nimble Wheels and more so the owner David. He probably puts more into research and engineering than any of the popular high zoot carbon tubies we've been talking about. Give him a jingle, the man answers his phone. Talk to him about the Fly wheel and I think you'd dig his ability to custom spoke them to your liking. Take note of the crash replacement deal too, sweet. I have direct experience with all their products...all good. My teammates are slowly coming around to Nimble. Everyone is nuts about the Fly tubies. That rim is probably the strongest all carbon rim ,for the weight, made. Tell him Josh sent yah.

theprep
08-25-2005, 08:10 AM
Spicoli

I can't believe you have not mentioned what happened to Howard's 303 rear wheel on Sunday. :confused:

We have a teammate Howard, who is about 155-160 lbs, fancies himself a mountain biker and so he tries to bunny - hop some railroad tracks on our Sunday north loop. He comes down on the second rail and boom the sound of cracked carbon $$$$.

A 2" by 2" piece on the side of the rim broke away from the brake track area towards the spoke holes.

The good news and a tribute to the strength of the 303's construction was that the wheel was ridable and looked almost perfectly true. He was able to get home.

I didn't see it happen, only heard it, so I can't comment on what might have happened to a metal rim. Also this guy runs about 70 psi in his MTB tires so he might of had 220 psi in his Tufo Road Elites.

Me - I like my Zipp 404's, instant speed if you ask me. Mine are 4 years old. Started having a problem 2 years ago with breaking non-drive spokes. Sent them back to Zipp and got all new Sapim spokes and a new rim to boot. Zipp said the spoke holes on the original rim were drilled a few degrees off and charged me Nada. :)

I will try to switch wheels with Spicoli during the next week and we can do a shootout. :bike: We both run DA 10, Italian tires and 11-23 blocks. Should be no problem and we can all learn something.

All bets are off if we have to move a wheel magnet 1 cm or something, Spicoli is very very precise with his bikes.

Cheers,
Joe

Argos
08-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Even though they broke, it sounds to me like a good review of 303's.

They broke, but how hard did the hit the track, speed, rider weight?

They were ridable home? Sounds like it could have been a LOT worse.

theprep
08-25-2005, 09:00 AM
O yeh, like I said "a tribute to the strength of the 303's construction".

I know exactly how fast we were going b/c I was pulling at the time, yelled out "Tracks" and slowed to 22 mph and moved right to the smoothest area to cross. Howard bunny-hopped in the center of the road were the tracks stick up an inch or two. He weighs 155-160 lbs.

Spicoli
08-25-2005, 09:18 AM
I saw him hit it and he cased it pretty good. He crushed the tire bed and about 3-4" of brake track came flying off. It was kinda cool, you just saw the foam core. Did stay relativly straight though. So it is a straight junk hoop. Unless your really good with the super glue.

On the bright side, he just became my doubles partner for 303 suck-a-chuck and you should see him play frisbee, the guy is a natural!

From what I understand Argos is arranging the funeral and wake for this coming weekend and I believe we all should attend to show are respects. Please black rims only people.

WOOO HOO!!! GAME ON!!! :banana:

Argos
08-25-2005, 09:21 AM
.....Actually the family has asked opted for a small, private service and that donations be made in the wheels honor to IMBA. This little road rim had a dream of one day being a wheels on a Mtn Bike. Well, we can all dream, that's what gives us hope...... :D

Spicoli
08-25-2005, 09:33 AM
.....Actually the family has asked opted for a small, private service and that donations be made in the wheels honor to IMBA. This little road rim had a dream of one day being a wheels on a Mtn Bike. Well, we can all dream, that's what gives us hope...... :D

Nicely done and very tasteful. My check is in the mail. Maybe we should make up little black rubber wrist bands in its honor. :D

FunkyPorcini
08-25-2005, 09:40 AM
I know most of you have been talking about tubulars but...

"Warning: we do not recommend using Vredestein or Vittoria clincher tires on our wheels. They are a loose fit, and have blown off of our wheels. We do not know whether the fault is in the tire or they were mounted incorrectly. Since loosing a tire while riding could be dangerous, we advise against their use."
(from Hed's site)

Spicoli
08-25-2005, 09:47 AM
I know most of you have been talking about tubulars but...

"Warning: we do not recommend using Vredestein or Vittoria clincher tires on our wheels. They are a loose fit, and have blown off of our wheels. We do not know whether the fault is in the tire or they were mounted incorrectly. Since loosing a tire while riding could be dangerous, we advise against their use."
(from Hed's site)
I would put my money on the tires being out of spec. and not the rims. 700c is 700c. There is a whole lot more variable going on in the tire industry. I have had tires of all different sizes labeled the same. Did you ever try and get a Specialized tire off the rim? Nightmareishly small. Think it was a pretty responcible thing to do. :confused:

flydhest
08-25-2005, 10:01 AM
I would put my money on the tires being out of spec. and not the rims. 700c is 700c. There is a whole lot more variable going on in the tire industry. I have had tires of all different sizes labeled the same. Did you ever try and get a Specialized tire off the rim? Nightmareishly small. Think it was a pretty responcible thing to do. :confused:

Spicoli,

I am not entirely convinced that "700c is 700c" Swapping tires across wheels, some combinations are just harder than others. A lot of Campy wheels seem to be a tighter fit for the same tires than Mavics. Just my experience, got no hard proof or evidence, though.

Bruce K
08-25-2005, 10:09 AM
Spicoli;

From talking with the folks at HED those tires just do not seem to seat well against their rims and have been an issue.

No other tire they are aware of has had a problem until I started using Schwalbe Evolutions at 135-140#psi.

After several tube failures, the folks at HAD and I ahve decided that these tires may not love HED rims either so it's back to Michelins for my ALPS.

I have used Michelins (including Supersonics at high pressure), Hutchinsons, and Kendas with no problems at all.

They are VERY safety conscious at HED.

BK

Spicoli
08-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Spicoli,

I am not entirely convinced that "700c is 700c" Swapping tires across wheels, some combinations are just harder than others. A lot of Campy wheels seem to be a tighter fit for the same tires than Mavics. Just my experience, got no hard proof or evidence, though.
I dont realy know either. I have had some sun rims that where a pain to get anything onto. The rim bed was just too tall. But I think the beads/hooks are all pretty close. I dont know for a fact but regardless I dont think they really had to say anything. I think its more a case of they dont like the way those tires fit and they are just putting it out there. It does not read like a disclaimer. I have seen a buddy of mine roll out of the parking lot and blow a hutchinson off a Zipp(calm down) twice in a row and it was seated. Some combos workout a bit off I think they are just pointing it out. maybe they shouldnt have.

Clinchers suk, Jeff

flydhest
08-25-2005, 10:22 AM
so . . . it's just about the rubber, not if you got good Hed?

I might give up tubulars

Too Tall
08-25-2005, 11:54 AM
Than what's a HED stinger? Anywho.
Before someone interjected with substance we were in mourning. This eve. I'm hosting a shiva for 303Suk-a-chuck. We are hoping for a minion but will make do with pictures of other brands. Bring stories to tell. We plan to plant a tree. (sniff) Sorry, vklept...need a moment.

Bruce K
08-25-2005, 12:07 PM
The Stinger is a series of 3 models of tubular, carbon rimmed race wheels.

The webiste explains it fairly clearly at www.hedcycling.com

BK

chrisroph
08-25-2005, 05:26 PM
I go away for a little while and you guys trash my 303's! Well, if all the other discussed wheels are so much better, I guess I've got something to look forward to when I finally get a chance to ride them. I will say that I generally favor my 303's over my nucleon tubulars for racing and the nucleons absolutely rock. Oh, and if anyone wants to let their 303's go, I'll do you a favor and give you $100 for the pair as long as they are in good condition. :)

The Spider
08-26-2005, 05:54 AM
My next wheelset was going to be Tune 70/190 hubs, sapim CX-Ray spokes and some 415 (303) rims...now...after all this...stuff, I'm emotionally....churned :confused:

Too Tall
08-26-2005, 06:13 AM
Don't be confused Spider and Christophe...just having fun with it. The 303's were used orig. by my rider as she WON the Race Across America. She said, and it is a quote, "DO NOT CHANGE THE WHEELS ON MY BIKE, I WANT THE ZIPPS". *Changing tubulars during RAAM???? You'd think that might be a problem eh? Guess what? 2890 miles on one set of Conti Competitions and no flats AND I use them as spares to this day.

Seriously, they made a difference for her. My beef mostly has to do with me being to big and strong for them...they are not very durable for me...I break spokes and feel twitchy. Nuff said. I've moved them on to Doreen's world and she digs them...at her weight and power they are a perfect match.

A light and aero wheelset for guys like me that will stand the test of time are the Nimble Fly tubies. They are very strong and quite light. I've used them on the roughest RR courses and converted the hubs for track...talk about versitile OK...they rock. Live and learn.

In the meantime we tease because we love yah ;)

Spicoli
08-26-2005, 07:55 AM
Dont be scared off and I think TT pretty much summed it up. Most of my friends who still have them(303's), have no problem with them but they all are on the smaller side and not big wind up types. TT rolled the dice with the Nimbles and love's them, I rolled it with the Heds and so far I love them. Its a crap shoot, what works for some does not work for others, just dont tell them there interpretation is wrong since we come in all different shapes and sizes. Where do you fit? only you know. Pick and choose your information and good luck.

Clinchers suck,303's suck,painting furniture on your day off really sucks!

Lovin my new go fasts, Jeff

PS Oh yeah Spider, IMO do exactly what you were going to do, do just do it with the 404 hoop instead, and if I'm wrong I'll buy them from you! This Seppo's not kiddin.

Too Tall
08-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Spidey, when you are done with Seppo I'm his new bestest friend. Dang, you da man.

chrisroph
08-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Does anybody have Reynolds wheels? My only experience with them is talking with a local 185 lb superstrong master's racer who said that he is on his 5th set because he keeps breaking spokes.

Spicoli
08-26-2005, 02:07 PM
buddy of mine had same deal and he's about 140lbs. soaking wet?

Hey TT, problem is Spidey wont hate them. Sucks for us!

The Spider
08-26-2005, 09:52 PM
You boys will have wrinkles by the time that project is finished...the hubs shipped from Germany yesterday but I'm going to wait to see if the 415 has dimples or any other upgrade in '06 before ordering them (from competitive cyclist unless anyone has any great ideas!)...then I have to get my boy in Belgium to send the right length spokes after that.

My life is like this....start your projects (wheels, Pegoretti, convert from Ultegra to Chorus) in 05 and finish in 06.

My 04 projects were Parlee and my training wheels (hugi 240s, Ambrosio, Cx Ray)

So by the time I get em....you'll be over the idea!

Too Tall
08-27-2005, 10:09 AM
Arachnoidboy - where should I buy my Saipam spokes? I'm going to lace up soemthing really sweet for Queen soon. Got some NOS gold anodized Wolber Arc en Ciels to go with old school Record track hubs...ouch...that's going to be nice...for her ;)

The Spider
08-27-2005, 04:12 PM
Martin over at Starbike (www.starbike.com) is great. Postage goes DOWN the more you buy, service is good. Spokes are CHEAP.