PDA

View Full Version : Baby, My Shoulder Hurts!

TimB
08-23-2005, 10:55 AM
So, with a two year old and a 6-week old, I don't expect to be able to ride much, and have long counted on my early-morning gym workouts to maintain some level of fitness. Cardio most days, with weight-lifting thrown in for distraction (and because I really enjoy it.)

Much to my dismay, I've had to shelve the weight workouts of late. Why, you ask? Because carrying the infant Annika around has managed to give me a 'nice' case of bursitis in my left shoulder. (This is not new to me - I essentially had to quit competitive swimming in college due to this condition, but it's been years and years since it was a problem at all.)

Sooner (rather than later) I know she'll be able to support then weight of her own head, and I'll be able to hold her in a more comfortable (for me) position.

I guess my point is - after years of being involved in lots of sports, it just seems ironic to be sidelined from carrying around my baby!

wildboar
08-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Do you or have you ever taken flax oil? Years ago, before I had ever taken any, I was having massive burning in my shoulders after doing bench press. Around the same time I decided to buy some flax oil because I had heard it was some good stuff... totally unrelated to thinking about it helping my shoulder pain. After chowing down on 2-3 tablespoons/day for a few days, the shoulder burning left and has never come back.

William
08-23-2005, 12:41 PM
So, with a two year old and a 6-week old, I don't expect to be able to ride much, and have long counted on my early-morning gym workouts to maintain some level of fitness. Cardio most days, with weight-lifting thrown in for distraction (and because I really enjoy it.)

Much to my dismay, I've had to shelve the weight workouts of late. Why, you ask? Because carrying the infant Annika around has managed to give me a 'nice' case of bursitis in my left shoulder. (This is not new to me - I essentially had to quit competitive swimming in college due to this condition, but it's been years and years since it was a problem at all.)

Sooner (rather than later) I know she'll be able to support then weight of her own head, and I'll be able to hold her in a more comfortable (for me) position.

I guess my point is - after years of being involved in lots of sports, it just seems ironic to be sidelined from carrying around my baby!

I had the same experience and thought when our son was born. I had a habit of carrying him on my right side and my shoulder became quite sore. Even though I was lifting and training pretty much as usual. When our daughter was born I made a habit of alternating sides and don't recall having shoulder pain at all the second time around.

It's all fun. :)

William