PDA

View Full Version : Travel Case Travel?

97CSI
03-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Am planning a couple of int'l trips where will need to ship my bicycle. Can it fit into any reasonable case without couplers? Would much prefer to simply mount 28mm tires and forego the expense and non-reversible nature of S&S couplers. And, no, I am not interested in purchasing another bike for travel. I like what I have. Thanks.

572cv
03-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Before we got S+S done, we traveled with Thule boxes. They roll, they're safe and easy to pack. There is a big plastic sheet in them which separates the wheels from the frame. You can cut about two pounds out of the overall weight with a hole saw- just make it look like swiss cheese, still does the job. This helps with weight limits on airlines.

Our local bike club has travel cases for members to borrow on an as available basis. Maybe you have a nearby club with this kind of resource.

Having your own bike with you on trips is worth the trouble. Bon Voyage!

gone
03-10-2012, 12:05 PM
I've traveled internationally with a bike about a dozen times both with a full size travel case and an S&S coupled bike. Whether or not a full sized case works for you depends very much on what your modes of transport are when you get to your international destination and how much moving around you'll do.

If you are going airport->cab->destination where you'll stay for a while and then go destination->cab->airport about the only hassle you might have is finding a cab that can handle your case plus luggage. Not impossible or even difficult really but you might find yourself hunting around a bit for one upon arrival.

If on the other hand you're going to move around a bunch once you're in country, especially if traveling by something other than a rented vehicle, a full size case can really be a pain. I'll give you one small example to give the general idea:

I arrived at Rome with my bike case and a fairly large rollable duffle bag containing my stuff for three weeks. The case had wheels too so I could walk and drag them both on their wheels. So far, no problem. I needed to go up a level to get to the exit. Escalators broken. I couldn't carry both the bike case and duffle (too heavy and bulky). I ended up leaving the duffle at the bottom of the stairs, taking the bike up then running back down to get my duffle. Fortunately, nothing stolen but it could have been. Take a cab to the train station. The luggage storage area on the train was mostly full. The only way my bike case would fit is with the end sticking out (and mostly blocking) the aisle. The ticket taker came and had an italian fit. I played the "non parlo italiano" card and he eventually gave up in disgust.

I replayed the scene several times in the next three weeks as I used rail transport to get from place to place. It worked, I had a great trip but it was a bit like traveling with a dead body. I had my bike S&S coupled upon my return and have never regretted it.

jpw
03-10-2012, 01:16 PM
I've traveled internationally with a bike about a dozen times both with a full size travel case and an S&S coupled bike. Whether or not a full sized case works for you depends very much on what your modes of transport are when you get to your international destination and how much moving around you'll do.

If you are going airport->cab->destination where you'll stay for a while and then go destination->cab->airport about the only hassle you might have is finding a cab that can handle your case plus luggage. Not impossible or even difficult really but you might find yourself hunting around a bit for one upon arrival.

If on the other hand you're going to move around a bunch once you're in country, especially if traveling by something other than a rented vehicle, a full size case can really be a pain. I'll give you one small example to give the general idea:

I arrived at Rome with my bike case and a fairly large rollable duffle bag containing my stuff for three weeks. The case had wheels too so I could walk and drag them both on their wheels. So far, no problem. I needed to go up a level to get to the exit. Escalators broken. I couldn't carry both the bike case and duffle (too heavy and bulky). I ended up leaving the duffle at the bottom of the stairs, taking the bike up then running back down to get my duffle. Fortunately, nothing stolen but it could have been. Take a cab to the train station. The luggage storage area on the train was mostly full. The only way my bike case would fit is with the end sticking out (and mostly blocking) the aisle. The ticket taker came and had an italian fit. I played the "non parlo italiano" card and he eventually gave up in disgust.

I replayed the scene several times in the next three weeks as I used rail transport to get from place to place. It worked, I had a great trip but it was a bit like traveling with a dead body. I had my bike S&S coupled upon my return and have never regretted it.

A small cable lock helps.

gone
03-10-2012, 04:25 PM
A small cable lock helps.
Sure but the central point wasn't the likelihood of it getting stolen but the PITA factor of lugging a full size travel case through a terminal which is relevant to the topic of the thread.

fatallightning
03-10-2012, 04:35 PM
I've used the trico iron case, which is probably as small as you can get for a normal non breakaway bike. If rolling long distances it can sometimes be a little pain because it's a leaning roller, not a standing roller. The case is also almost 30 lbs, so depending on the bike, and airline, you're pushing 50 lbs easy. My ti Serotta and shoes just about hit 50 even.

http://tricosports.com/images/main-cat-iron-case.png

AngryScientist
03-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Sure but the central point wasn't the likelihood of it getting stolen but the PITA factor of lugging a full size travel case through a terminal which is relevant to the topic of the thread.

i've done a fair bit of international travel myself, though never with a bike. many modes of transportation involved, including very small planes, boats, tiny taxis, trains and buses. the thought of having a full sized bike case for most of that stuff horrifies me.

IMO, the name of the game is quick mobility, and adaptability to what's available. i always use luggage i can carry on my back, and move quickly with. i'm getting a bike coupled now so i can pack it down into a normal sized piece of baggage. it might be OK, but not worth the potential risk to me of having a huge case.

remember, even when you're riding that bike the case has to go somewhere, every car you rent, or taxi you take needs to fit the damned case in.

you're practically in Bilinkeys back yard. drop a steel bike off and call it done. i personally just caught their recent 10% off sale on couplers and had my steel Serotta chopped for about $500. i'm doing the touch-up paint myself. utility, travel bike. bliss.

gone
03-10-2012, 04:49 PM
the thought of having a full sized bike case for most of that stuff horrifies me.

Exactly. As I said, it's like traveling with a dead body.

bliss.
Agreed. It makes the traveling easier but more importantly you arrive with a bike that you like.

When I was lugging that full size travel case and bag (total weight about 130 pounds) through a train station and up and down stairs in 90 degree temps I said "never again".

Having said all that, I still think if you don't plan on traveling with it a lot and your travel plans are airport->cab->destination it's certainly doable with a full sized case.

SpeedyChix
03-10-2012, 07:18 PM
These work pretty well and can be broken down until you're ready to fly again.
Air Caddy (http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.php?PART_NUM_SUB=%273698-00)

jpw
03-11-2012, 04:48 AM

Ooo, slapped wrist :)

97CSI
03-11-2012, 04:58 AM
That Air Caddy looks doable. May still do the S&S thing, but still hate to chop my ride. We'll see. Keep the thoughts coming. Thanks.

Doug Fattic
03-11-2012, 08:27 AM
I've traveled a lot overseas with bicycles and have tried various methods to take them with me. One of the things that has been kinda alluded to but not mentioned directly is the added stress and worry that goes along with travel. There is a number of unknowns particularly when going to areas not visited before including how to get me and my stuff through the airport to my immediate destination. Having a big case with me really added to my stress both coming and going and this worry how to move it about reduced my enjoyment of the trip. Since I am a framebuilder I eventually made myself a S&S coupled bike with small wheels and found the ease of travel with it a real relief.

I do a yearly trip to Ukraine to help with a project to provide bicycles to pastors (we make the frames on a college campus west of Kiev) and often take some kind of bicycle with me (like a transportation bike prototype) in a cardboard box. To help move it I use a little foldable cart with wheels that has an elastic band that just is able to wrap around the bike box. It has bailed me out of tough situations a number of times. There isn't always a luggage cart available.

Charles M
03-11-2012, 10:35 AM
I've used the trico iron case, which is probably as small as you can get for a normal non breakaway bike. If rolling long distances it can sometimes be a little pain because it's a leaning roller, not a standing roller. The case is also almost 30 lbs, so depending on the bike, and airline, you're pushing 50 lbs easy. My ti Serotta and shoes just about hit 50 even.

http://tricosports.com/images/main-cat-iron-case.png

This is your answer.

You may not like it, but this is your answer.

The Air Caddy are similar size and dont roll or carry as easy.

No soft case should be considered.

rain dogs
03-11-2012, 10:51 AM
This is your answer.

You may not like it, but this is your answer.

The Air Caddy are similar size and dont roll or carry as easy.

No soft case should be considered.

I'll add my personal experience to this.

This is ONLY your answer if you are staying in one central location, all your bike trips are out-and-backs (say from Grenoble or Briancon) and you are leaving from that location in the morning and returning in the evening. But who tours like that? That's a series of bike rides not a bike tour.

Otherwise it is a terrible answer, but an answer nonetheless.

I bought a hard case for travelling. I went travelling with said hard case. I sold said hard case on return.

Cardboard bike box and a good packing job are your friend.

Hard cases are great for:

1. Out and backs as described above with no additional transport needed.
2. Racers who are travelling to races.

Hard cases are terrible, repeat TERRIBLE, for:

1. Most travelling tours, because they will visit more than one city. (and you should ride from city to city, not break your bike down and build it back up multiple times a trip.)
2. One way bike tours (with train return for example)
3. Open Jaw trips (fly into and out of different airports).

In short:

I owned a hard case, I used a hard case. I will never own that type of hard case again.

Oh, and on soft cases. Last resort...they're fine.

I'd put my bike in a soft case in an emergency and hope it doesn't get killed before I'd fight with a hard case again.

Charles M
03-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Two halves and 3 pieces of foam can really be tough for some, but a fight?

Did you have to steal it from Cain Velasquez?

After, call it 100 trips, both out and backs and multi stop, I settled on a hard case.

If you get a smaller box, it's a lot harder to pack and unpack than a clamshell hard case. You simply put all of the packing material piece by piece on the bike, AFTER breaking it down further to fit in a smaller pack.

Especially in the case of multi stop trips, the hassle to break down and properly wrap something for a smaller cardboard box and then unwrap it so you can use all of the bits and peieces of packing takes a lot more effort than putting a bike in between the foam sheets of a clambshell hard case.

Take any short cuts and you're putting the bike at risk.

It takes a quarter of the time to put a bike between the foam layers in a hard case and be rolling, and there is less risk than a perfectly packed / wrapped / broken down for cardboard packing.

If you get a cardboard box like the airCaddy or one that is both clamshell / side opening and the same size as a hard case AND comes with the large layers of foam protection material, it will be as easy to pack and unpack.

But cardboard comes with all of the same complaints as a hard case relative to handling (or more, if no wheels), yet doesn't protect nearly as well and deteriorates with multiple use...

Of course all of that is only relative to how much you care about your bike... Then yes, a soft case or a quick breakdown into cardboard small enough to be considered "easier" is the way to go.

been there and done that too...

rain dogs
03-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Two halves and 3 pieces of foam can really be tough for some, but a fight?

Did you have to steal it from Cain Velasquez?

I think you didn't understand my point. The box itself isn't a fight for packing the bike, but it certainly is for use.

I can tell you this: I've given this advice dozens of times and every last person who told me I was wrong only said it on one airport trip and that trip was to the airport, not coming home from it.

Think of it this way. Millions of bikes are shipped around the world from manufacturers to stores in what?

Cardboard or a 30 lb plastic box?

As I said: If you stay in one place, and one place only (one hotel, one b+b) hard shells are great. But I'd rather be riding my bike from city to city than breaking my bike down and hauling it around in a plastic case.

With the cardboard box: you take your bike out upon arrival, build it up, recycle the box and go. Never to deal with a box again, or breaking down and building your bike up again, until you leave to go home. I'd rather spend my time riding.

Charles M
03-11-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm not assuming a one way trip.

And I'm not assuming either a single or multiple stops. And I'm not assuming that the OP is traveling with or separately from the bike...

Yes, manufacturers use Cardboard. But they're not looking for a case for multiple international trips.

Higher end complete bikes are typically now comming in Air Caddy or Large Clamshell cases with layers of foam. The last 6 that came here were like that.

Speaking of manufacturers...

When they send me full bikes for test or review that will make multiple stops and or travel international, they ship to me in hardcases...

If it comes boxed, I refuse to go through the hassle of repacking well enough that cardboard will protect it and I take it to a dealer of that brand for return and or going to it's next stop.

rain dogs
03-11-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm not assuming a one way trip.

And I'm not assuming either a single or multiple stops. And I'm not assuming that the OP is traveling with or separately from the bike...

I feel like we're misunderstanding one another.

I'm trying to do my best to describe what I use: 1 cardboard box to, and 1 different cardboard box from, and that I'd never again use a plastic case.

This is for a multiple week bike riding vacation in Europe, leaving from North America, riding in Europe and returning to NA 2-3 weeks later.

I think that's the most common and the OP question.

Hopefully, I'm being clear enough that most people understand, but maybe not.

J.Greene
03-11-2012, 12:07 PM

I'm trying to do my best to describe what I use: 1 cardboard box to, and 1 different cardboard box from, and that I'd never again use a plastic case.

This is for a multiple week bike riding vacation in Europe, leaving from North America, riding in Europe and returning to NA 2-3 weeks later.

Hopefully, I'm being clear enough that most people understand, but maybe not.
Where do you get the box for the return trip, the airlines?

97CSI
03-11-2012, 01:31 PM

Hopefully, I'm being clear enough that most people understand, but maybe not.As the OP it is clear to me. My only question is where to source the return box once you are 'over there'?

William
03-11-2012, 02:49 PM

I've posted this before but......I couldn't help myself. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EeEDKErYJ4

William

firerescuefin
03-11-2012, 03:08 PM
http://www.hucknroll.com/dakine-bike-bag

I have been super happy with the Dakine case. Have used it and lent it out to friends quite a few times... and it's super robust.

Geoff

rain dogs
03-11-2012, 03:40 PM
As the OP it is clear to me. My only question is where to source the return box once you are 'over there'?

Cardboard in this world is very abundant. I've gotten cardboard from the airlines. From a train station, from a hotel.... and not crappy cardboard either.

But, really, most cities you'll be flying out of that are big enough to have an airport will have ten bike stores and you get it the same way you get it in your home town with all the foam and everything.

I've never had even the slightest problem sourcing a cardboard bike box, and it's worth the little effort to get one 1000 times over rather than lugging around a plastic case ("dead body".... I like that) and breaking down and building up your bike everytime you want to go somewhere else and have to drag along the plastic case.

I've even left my bike box at the airport on arrival and they said they would keep it for the next biker flying out. That was in Frankfurt.

After that I thought: "How stupid are plastic cases for anything other than racing?"

ultraman6970
03-11-2012, 04:30 PM
I have the travel case that performance sells and works just fine. Theoretically is just the right size for international flights. But since the rules changed to make us pay more i have no idea if now is considered oversize or not.

Has wheels, get 2 good locks and ready to go.

CaptStash
03-11-2012, 06:02 PM
For those who travel frequently I can't say enough good about an S&S coupled bike. Mine has been unbelievably fun to have, and has allowed to me to go cycling in a lot of places I never would have otherwise. Of course, my work is nearly 100% travel.

I had a titanium bike coupled by Bilenky. For the most part, it stays in the case and is ready to go at a moment's notice. I just throw in the shoes and kit and I am off. (I ride a 57 and there's no room for the helmet, that goes in my roll-aboard.)

I would have thought twice though, if I were sending out my only bike to get modified, since the process took a couple of months. It was also easy for me since the bike was unpainted ti. I think if you look at the long run and feel you would travel with the bike at least two or three times a year, a case could be made for picking up a used frame on eBAy and getting it coupled.

OR you could just by this one!: Coupled IF Ti CJ on eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/120874262649?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) :D

YMMV etc.

CaptStash....

Charles M
03-11-2012, 06:16 PM
As the OP it is clear to me. My only question is where to source the return box once you are 'over there'?

The box isnt the problem.

It's the materials you'll need to try and properly protect the frame, drops and wheels that you wont find any place else.

Again, it's down to how much you value the bike. If it's no big deal, an unprotected frame and wheels in what ever box you find sounds easy...

Another way to go is to hit a bike shop and have them pack it properly.

But dont expect most euro shops to be able to do that with you just stopping in. I would make a call and have them ready to serve you.

Uncle Jam's Army
03-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Anybody ever have a Ti bike chopped to add S&S couplers to a bike not originally designed for it and, if so, can you recommend a service to do that?

CaptStash
03-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Anybody ever have a Ti bike chopped to add S&S couplers to a bike not originally designed for it and, if so, can you recommend a service to do that?

Bilenky did mine as mentioned above. They have made a good business out of doing the modifications and their welds look as good or better than the original Sandvik welds. They also offer a variety of suitcases for your chopped bike. The whole shebang cost me about $1250 as I recall.

CaptStash....

Uncle Jam's Army
03-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Bilenky did mine as mentioned above. They have made a good business out of doing the modifications and their welds look as good or better than the original Sandvik welds. They also offer a variety of suitcases for your chopped bike. The whole shebang cost me about $1250 as I recall.

CaptStash....

Thanks Captain!

cody.wms
03-12-2012, 10:15 AM

CaptStash....

Something to keep in mind -- the tubing can only be shaped so much, and butting can cause a problem. Rounder is better when it comes to chopping, but Bilenky can tell you if your bike is choppable.

rain dogs
03-12-2012, 10:57 AM
The box isnt the problem.

It's the materials you'll need to try and properly protect the frame, drops and wheels that you wont find any place else.

Again, it's down to how much you value the bike. If it's no big deal, an unprotected frame and wheels in what ever box you find sounds easy...

I'm sorry, but in my experience this just isn't true, and it sounds a little like fear mongering

Again, I've never had a problem with this and I did my last 3000km+ tour on a Look Carbon frame with full Record components... so it's not like I wasn't concerned about my bike.

I've done both (plastic case and cardboard), and other people are cool to do their thing. I'm not trying to "win" a conversation. But why not try it and then tell me what you prefer?

Once you do it, you'll see that their is no reason to be afraid of protecting your bike. And there is never a time when you just put "an unprotected frame and wheels in what ever box you find" unless you choose that and I don't know why you would.

You keep the plastic pieces that you brought with your bike.... it's common sense. The dropout plastic spacers are tiny. The flat plastic plugs that go into your hubs are tiny. And important small bits and pieces are easier to put in a tiny zip-lock (which will fit in a jersey pocket or water bottle) than a 30lb plastic case.

The rest is foam and cardboard. If a person isn't resourceful enough to easily find a bike shop and buy a bike box or find foam and cardboard to pack a bike in then maybe they shouldn't do this? But who's holding their hand with everything else?

It takes a little simple planning and thinking when your riding is done and that's all. It takes much less work than hauling around the plastic container and much less time than breaking down and rebuilding your bike two or three times a trip. :beer:

J.Greene
03-12-2012, 11:23 AM
I like the cardboard box idea. I'd like to start in Portand and fly out of San Fran or San Fran to San Diego. Hard shells are a no go for the obvious reason.

A few years ago my wife and I bikes through the San Juan's for a week. The local shop in Friday Harbor recieved and shipped our bikes back for a very reasonable charge.

MadRocketSci
03-12-2012, 12:10 PM
i don't have one but i'm considering a pika packworks soft case. Good reviews online. Made by a guy with a sewing machine in his basement in Utah.

Don49
03-12-2012, 12:33 PM
I did a ride once from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, without any planning for how to get home again. Wheeled the bike into the air terminal at Cabo, and the airline staffer handed me a very large and heavy duty plastic bag. We wheeled the bike into the bag and tied the end with a zip-tie. Bike made it back to LAX without a scratch.

I have a Trico Iron Case, but as pointed out, the Trico+bike hit the 50lb mark pretty easily. It used to not matter as the airlines would charge for oversize or overweight but not both. I don't think that's true anymore. I've had good luck storing the Trico at the destination end at REI stores and hostels.

Anyway, just anecdotes, no new information to add. Good thread though.

Charles M
03-12-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm not trying to "win" a conversation. But why not try it and then tell me what you prefer?

Read the posts above...

With a couple hundred thousand Bike transport miles under my belt, I've done cardboard several times (a dozen Europe and more domestic), including dumping the box and wrapping and then hitting a shop to rebox and return ship / transport.

With that experience, I think the hassle of packaging and the damage that I've sustained (all of which resulted during either cardboard or soft case use) makes a hard case a better choice.

deanster
03-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Am planning a couple of int'l trips where will need to ship my bicycle. Can it fit into any reasonable case without couplers? Would much prefer to simply mount 28mm tires and forego the expense and non-reversible nature of S&S couplers. And, no, I am not interested in purchasing another bike for travel. I like what I have. Thanks.
Once owned an Iron Box pre 2001 was always a hassle but, Airlines never charged me a fee. Full size bike boxes are all over sized and heavy...double whammy on the airline charges. Travelled with a Ritchey Breakaway twice to Europe and found it qute easy...no extra charges. Put all my Kit, tools, bike, extra XC folding tires (for off road), and some non bike clothes. Took the wt up to 47lbs and got in a line so the agents woundn't look too closely at the size of the "suit case". Zero problems. The bike case fit into the ittybitty Fiat Panda for the drive to the Dolomites. A larger case would have driven up the size of the car considerably (ADDED $$$$). If I was in Europe for a longer trip I would have taken the train...again much easier to travel with. Good luck with your plans.
Check out Colorado Cyclist in CS. CO. They had a plastic case years ago if I remember right..

chromopromo
03-12-2012, 06:45 PM
I wish I read this a couple of hours ago -- I would have gone the cardboard route. Anyway, I just bought a soft case -- Bike Pro -- off Craigslist. I am traveling with the family for a week and then meeting up with friends to bike and see the tour. I am flying in and out of Barcelona and was wondering where the best place is to store the case in Barcelona while traveling?

Alternatively, I guess I could strap the case on the roof of the rental car. Anyone have any experience hauling around a case on the roof? I am not sure which way make the most sense.

rain dogs
03-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Read the posts above...

I read your posts stating that cardboard sounds easy for "an unprotected frame and wheels in what ever box you find." That didn't sound to me like what I was describing but if you have done what I've described, then we're just different and prefer different things.

If you want to ride the first ten stages of the Giro d'Italia ahead of the pros, or from Milan to Barcelona or from Sweden to Spain, or from Colmar through the Alps to Aosta, what do you do with your plastic box?

You have "a couple hundred thousand Bike transport miles under [your] belt" what do you do for the tens of thousands of riding miles?

The advantage of Cardboard is you can forget about a box and ride your bike, which is what I want to do on a bike tour.