PDA

View Full Version : 21 years and today No Serotta in the stable

Smiley
03-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Have owned my fair share of Serotta's over the years all within the first 40 ish built so I always jumped on the boat early on.
Legend Ti
Hors Categorie
Ti Max
Steel Uniscasi

Now I have opted to not buy the "Soup Du Jour" any more and my tastes have swung towards the more gentile rides. A bike that will take me to far flung places and back and carry a load like a sherpa :) A bike that rides likes its on rails through twisties and absorbs whatever the pavement throws its way.

Gonna go out today and ride one of these designs in my Sport Tourer and then come home in time to do two bike fits for clients that need to make their Plastique bikes work for them. You all make sure to take the LONG WAY home and enjoy your ride today :banana:

Fishbike
03-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Perfect reminder to keeps things in perspective, Smiley. Also a good reminder / observation that one of the interesting things about bikes is that the old ones are in many cases as good as or better than the new ones.

Dekonick
03-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Bet you wish you still had your Hors to have Kelly give it the 'ole chop... (I am still waiting for mine... in PA getting a polish... that is the hold up... then the other Ti master will finish it with new paint panels... just with the guy doing the polishing was not a one man shop with a backlog... worth the wait IMHO... haven't been out in months anyway because of family issues that are taking all of my time)

And no matter what you say, your Bedfords (like Kirk's, and Ellis) all have Serotta in their blood...

I still secretly lust for an Ottrott... with a DKS rear...

sc53
03-11-2012, 08:00 AM
So your Uniscasi is gone? I remember when you were building that one, and decided on the orange/black paint. I will never part with my Serottas though a Bedford MUST join my stable. I am not too keen on SRAM so far--front shifting is horrible! I have to have the FD "fixed" after every ride! It's now part of my post-ride routine, stop by Bicycle Pro Shop on Duke St. on my way back from one of my winter southern MD rides. Should I add one Campy bike to the stable?

Smiley
03-11-2012, 09:49 AM
So your Uniscasi is gone? I remember when you were building that one, and decided on the orange/black paint. I will never part with my Serottas though a Bedford MUST join my stable. I am not too keen on SRAM so far--front shifting is horrible! I have to have the FD "fixed" after every ride! It's now part of my post-ride routine, stop by Bicycle Pro Shop on Duke St. on my way back from one of my winter southern MD rides. Should I add one Campy bike to the stable?

Huh, have had no problems with front shifting on any SRAM bike we have sold, what did you do differently especially in front, maybe the der or shifter ?? Too cheap? Smiley

SPOKE
03-11-2012, 10:52 AM

If you are using the SRAM (GORE) cables that may be some of the issue. In order to get the cable pinch bolt to hold the inner wire securely you must remove the slick coating from the inner wire where the FD pinch bolt clamps the wire.
I just use Shimano stainless wires.....all good.

palincss
03-12-2012, 03:07 PM
I am not too keen on SRAM so far--front shifting is horrible! I have to have the FD "fixed" after every ride! It's now part of my post-ride routine, stop by Bicycle Pro Shop on Duke St. on my way back from one of my winter southern MD rides.

I know zero about SRAM mechs, but I find it very hard to understand. Normally front derailleurs are install, adjust and forget; and the folks I know with SRAM mechs other than you don't seem to think any different.

What symptoms are you experiencing, exactly? And are you absolutely sure it's the front derailleur that's amiss? When you were on my Chaptico ride what you initially thought was a front derailleur problem turned out to be chain suck due to a burr on one of the teeth on the big ring. Seeing it happen while riding along side of you, it was obvious the chain was sticking to the big ring and was wrapping underneath rather than releasing. Is it possible that's still happening? No amount of fiddling with the front derailleur would fix that.

likebikes
03-12-2012, 04:08 PM
feels good man