PDA

View Full Version : Rats!

Hank Scorpio
03-10-2012, 06:28 AM
I brought my Landshark to Spectrum for a top tube replacement and a repaint after a pretty serious crash a few years ago. After they stripped the paint they also found this. With new stays, top tube and paint it is close to what I paid for the frame alone. Tom doesn't feel like a repair to the stay will hold so I guess I need to make up my mind.

It was my first custom frame and it rode great so it is extra crummy that this happened.

AngryScientist
03-10-2012, 06:49 AM
Hank - you're already going to owe Tom some $$ for the work he's done no matter what, it would be a shame to put any money into it to ultimately scrap the frame. i say grit your teeth, lay out the rest of the cash and get her fixed up. should be like new when its done. cheers.

Hank Scorpio
03-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Angry, are probably right especially since they top tube is already cut and mitred for brazing. That seems to be the shared consensus among my riding pals although they all make significantly more than I do.

Now it is Vanilla time!

mike p
03-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Question....why wouldn't you send the frame and fork off to John S. Who built it for you? He may have gone above and beyond since he built it for you in the first place. Nothing at all against Tom as he is the consummate pro. Just that he's got no dog in the fight where as John does. Just wandering.

Mike

jpw
03-10-2012, 07:23 AM
This is one of the reasons why I like unpainted ti frames and carbon forks. One can see what is going on.

khatfull
03-10-2012, 07:56 AM
One thing's for sure, better to find it now than later after the top tube replacement and repaint.

Seems like you're in too deep now to stop swimming... :)

HenryA
03-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Time for a new frame.
Cut your losses now and move on.

alancw3
03-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Time for a new frame.
Cut your losses now and move on.
+1

Hank Scorpio
03-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Mike P I tried to go back to John but he wasn't interested in the repair. He was interested in giving me a great deal on a new carbon frame. I already have that covered with my parlee and the Landshark was always my century bike.

I already bought an entire group for it so I might as well take the hit. It was originally built from the deda less than zero tubeset which might be one of the reasons it broke. Tom also suggested that the rear drops were out of alignment and that could have caused the break as well.