PDA

View Full Version : OT: Redskins mortgaging the future for a gamble again.

tuxbailey
03-10-2012, 01:01 AM
I can't believe they give up 2 future 1st round picks and this year's 2nd to swap their 1st round pick with the Rams.

I hope RGIII will be good and justify all these picks; otherwise, Daniel Snyder had seen nothing yet as far as fans' hatred toward him concerned.

They better fix the holes in OL or the kid will be running for his life; good thing he is a good runner.

Louis
03-10-2012, 01:13 AM
Sounds like a great deal to me. :)

tuxbailey
03-10-2012, 01:22 AM

Haha. Yes the Rams is the winner here. Redefining the term " laughing all the way to the bank."

Louis
03-10-2012, 01:25 AM
Haha. Yes the Rams is the winner here. Redefining the term " laughing all the way to the bank."

They may still blow it - we'll see who they get with those picks.

Sandy
03-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Not the first time in DC that someone mortgaged the future.

Sandy

Louis
03-10-2012, 01:55 AM
Not the first time in DC that someone mortgaged the future.

No political threads allowed! :p :p :p

Good one, Sandy. :)

Sandy
03-10-2012, 01:56 AM
I can't believe they give up 2 future 1st round picks and this year's 2nd to swap their 1st round pick with the Rams.

I hope RGIII will be good and justify all these picks; otherwise, Daniel Snyder had seen nothing yet as far as fans' hatred toward him concerned.

They better fix the holes in OL or the kid will be running for his life; good thing he is a good runner.

They are giving up their first round pick and a second round pick this year, a first round pick in 2013 and a first round pick in 2014.

Sandy

Louis
03-10-2012, 02:45 AM
An amusing comment on the St Louis Post-Dispatch's web site about the trade:

"Rams worked hard to get that # 2 pick. Or, not."

rbtmcardle
03-10-2012, 04:36 AM
As a casual eagles fan now, please don't let me get started on the state of professional sports, I do recall the blockbuster deal the hated Cowboys put together for herschel walker... They essentially built a dynasty with that one trade.. Oh and by the way, Jerry Jones isn't much different than Snyder.. the meddling owner who thinks he is playing Madden Football, oh wait never mind, he is.. perhaps the Rams will play this correctly and realize the long term benefit of a Team and the skins will prove again the adage that one man does not make a team.

peanutgallery
03-10-2012, 06:16 AM
they should have learned long ago not to trust a guy that leaves early for the NFL. Plus, RG3 doesn't really have a deep body of work, he was out hurt for the season a few times in college, 2011 seemed like his only full year. It will take a year or 2 to get him NFL ready and Snyder has never struck me as patient. even an old hand like McNabb didn't last a season there and yes, lots of other holes to fill at the moment. not the right situation....for anyone if you ask me. rather RG3 go there instead of Peyton to become a tackle dummy

CNY rider
03-10-2012, 06:25 AM

Wow, this is an awesome deal the Rams got.

old_fat_and_slow
03-10-2012, 08:19 AM

Smiley
03-10-2012, 08:57 AM
STUPID F'ing DEAL, Snyder should fire himself and his whole staff over this disaster in the making.

firerescuefin
03-10-2012, 09:02 AM
STUPID F'ing DEAL, Snyder should fire himself and his whole staff over this disaster in the making.

Snyder (and his team) is a laughing stock...reputable personnel and free agents should stay far far away...unless they are old/overrated/exceptionally egomaniacal.

As a 49er fan that had suffered up till this last year, I empathize with you.

wc1934
03-10-2012, 09:45 AM
And the beat goes on - Peyton now out of the running for the Jets (extended Sanchez) and Skins - Browns missed out, will now seek out the GB back up - kid from LSU, forgot his name, etc.etc.
Good deal for both teams - Rams already have their No.1 - Bradford - Skins can now build around RGIII - did you see his time in the 40 (at the combine).
NFL is a QB league.

old_fat_and_slow
03-10-2012, 09:53 AM

tuxbailey
03-10-2012, 10:12 AM
They are giving up their first round pick and a second round pick this year, a first round pick in 2013 and a first round pick in 2014.

Sandy

Correct. That is why I said they give up this year's 2nd to swap the first with the Rams.

I really hope this works as the kid is good and seems like a good kid. But everyone is expecting him to be the second coming of Cam Newton. Hope he doesn't crack under the huge expectation.

dumbod
03-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Given the time value of draft picks (calculated using Discounted Draft Flow or DDF), the deal isn't that much different from what the Giants gave up for Eli Manning. That's worked out OK.

rugbysecondrow
03-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Griffin will be cheaper than previous years. Plus, without the picks from '13-'14, they can put that same money to free agency and pay for proven players vs. unproven picks. Not the same as Saints or Vikings giving up everything. This is more tempered, albeit a power move for a guy they obviously think is a game changer. If you think that, you have no choice but to make this happen.

I think the Skins will be exciting to watch this year.

tuxbailey
03-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Griffin will be cheaper than previous years. Plus, without the picks from '13-'14, they can put that same money to free agency and pay for proven players vs. unproven picks. Not the same as Saints or Vikings giving up everything. This is more tempered, albeit a power move for a guy they obviously think is a game changer. If you think that, you have no choice but to make this happen.

I think the Skins will be exciting to watch this year.

well it sure creates a big buzz, plus the pending FA acquisition. Maybe high caliber receivers will be willing to come to play in DC now.

Chance
03-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Never heard of him before the Heisman talk. Sure hope he is a game changer.

Last week was in Maryland visiting family and they can't wait to get a winning team. Big Redskin fans.

Aaron O
03-10-2012, 11:30 AM
This is one of those moves that is totally dependent on the player and can't be judged any other way...if it were 1998 and Peyton Manning was available, would you swap 2 1sts and a 2nd for him? ABSOLUTELY! There are players that are worth it. Whether or not this particular player is worth it, I have no idea. The Washington Native Americans do have a history of giving away draft picks under this owner but I've seen dumber trades (like giving away two first round picks for JOEY GALLOWAY!) and I'm not prepared to insult them until I see him play.

Fortunately the natives don't have much talent at the skill positions to help him and the trade obviously makes it tougher to acquire them. That being said, it's an arena football league now (at least until the playoffs) and you have to be able to pass deep. The guy definitely has an arm.

All things considered...as an Eagles fan I rather like Snyder in Washington.

pdmtong
03-10-2012, 07:37 PM
IMHO the bigger story is whether the rams will be able to exploit this draft bonanza into a perenial contender.

Aaron O
03-10-2012, 07:43 PM
IMHO the bigger story is whether the rams will be able to exploit this draft bonanza into a perenial contender.
I'd sure like being their gm for the next few years.

pdmtong
03-10-2012, 08:00 PM
I'd sure like being their gm for the next few years.

yup. and, look at what my team gave up to get carson palmer

Dekonick
03-10-2012, 08:06 PM
It is only a bad deal if he turns out to not be a NFL fit... I believe the Broncos made a similar deal back in '83 for Elway... it worked for them.

Aaron O
03-10-2012, 08:19 PM
It is only a bad deal if he turns out to not be a NFL fit... I believe the Broncos made a similar deal back in '83 for Elway... it worked for them.
You do WHATEVER it takes to get a franchise QB, he'd just better be elite at that price. Top QBS, and true game changers like the Reggie Whites, Orlando Paces and Rod Woodsons, are so valuable that you do what it takes.

khatfull
03-10-2012, 08:32 PM
<rant>

I quit caring about football when it became obvious that we're going to get a $1.0-1.1 bllion dollar stadium rammed down our throats no matter what kind of deficit the State of Minnesota happens to be running.

And all for a crap 3-13 team who can't seem to win the big game.

Yuck. Sorry.

</rant>