PDA

View Full Version : Removing 3T logos, WTH?!

khatfull
03-09-2012, 11:48 PM
So for a new build I got an ARX Pro stem and Ergonova Pro bars. Wanted to remove the logos for a stealthy look.

The stem arrived yesterday, acetone, rag, 60 seconds done. Easy as cake.

Bars arrive today. Acetone, rag....uh, nothing. Soak the rag in acetone, hold it on the white logos for 60 seconds, nothing.

Now, I can see it taking longer or being harder but my golly, these logos aren't being touched AT ALL by straight acetone.

Any ideas?

Oh, these are the bars: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330695833176

akelman
03-09-2012, 11:55 PM
The last time I did this, it was neither easier nor harder to debadge the bars than the stem. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, and I'm sorry about that. I wonder if your bars are a model year that they used a different kind of paint or something.

khatfull
03-10-2012, 12:01 AM
The last time I did this, it was neither easier nor harder to debadge the bars than the stem. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, and I'm sorry about that. I wonder if your bars are a model year that they used a different kind of paint or something.

You'd be right, haha!

Gosh dangit...I just can't imagine what to try if acetone doesn't do it. Paint remover, naphtha, I'll have to see what else is downstairs.

ultraman6970
03-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Paint vs laser etching?

khatfull
03-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Paint vs laser etching?

I don't think it's etched, it's VERY white...etching usually is somewhat duller.

eddief
03-10-2012, 06:51 AM
along with acetone.

sokyroadie
03-10-2012, 06:55 AM
You'd be right, haha!

Gosh dangit...I just can't imagine what to try if acetone doesn't do it. Paint remover, naphtha, I'll have to see what else is downstairs.

I think you would be wasting your time with Paint thinner or Naptha, they are not as strong as Acetone. You might try MEK - Methyl Ethyl Ketone, it is a VERY strong solvent, use it outside with chemical gloves and no open flame nearby.

Jeff

Ti Designs
03-10-2012, 06:57 AM
So many good, stupid answers here...

If you also have a 3ttt seat post and the paint came off the stem and the post you're down to 1t. That's pretty good...

Black shoe polish has always been a team color (I never used the stuff our sponsors gave me)

Ride at night.

Ride now, photoshop later...

All this from a guy who bought white Look pedals and colored one red and other one blue with a Sharpie to match his bike.

khatfull
03-10-2012, 10:39 AM
you might try some green scotch brite along with acetone.

We have a winner!

It took 10 minutes to do the "ERGONOVA" logo and about 15 to do the "3T" but it worked with the ScotchBrite. I even found one under the kitchen sink with the attached sponge so the sponge helped hold some acetone. Took forever to cut the logos initially but once the started to fade it was quicker.

I don't know what they used but man, talk about durable.

I still haven't decided about the center white band. This bar/stem is destined for the Klein Q-Elite in purple Plum Crazy I picked up. I have this burning desire to find some purple spray paint at the hobby shop and turn that white band purple.

I dunno...over the top or neat customization?

Thanks eddief!

buldogge
03-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Keith...If you want really over-the-top, you can buy cheapo versions of chromalusion/flip-flop paint in auto parts stores now...I'm sure there's a predominately purple one...go the full monty!

-Mark in St. Louis

We have a winner!

It took 10 minutes to do the "ERGONOVA" logo and about 15 to do the "3T" but it worked with the ScotchBrite. I even found one under the kitchen sink with the attached sponge so the sponge helped hold some acetone. Took forever to cut the logos initially but once the started to fade it was quicker.

I don't know what they used but man, talk about durable.

I still haven't decided about the center white band. This bar/stem is destined for the Klein Q-Elite in purple Plum Crazy I picked up. I have this burning desire to find some purple spray paint at the hobby shop and turn that white band purple.

I dunno...over the top or neat customization?

Thanks eddief!

khatfull
03-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Keith...If you want really over-the-top, you can buy cheapo versions of chromalusion/flip-flop paint in auto parts stores now...I'm sure there's a predominately purple one...go the full monty!

-Mark in St. Louis

Hahaha, you know me Mark, I'll do about anything :)

But I don't think in such a small area you'd get enough oblique angles to it to get the effect out of the paint, dunno?

Of course, now I have to Google :)

khatfull
03-10-2012, 04:05 PM

-Mark in St. Louis

Hey Mark!

So on my way to the grocery store I stop at the hobby shop just to see what might be there. I take a look at the Testor's enamels and....LOL!!!

http://pics.towerhobbies.com/image/t/tesr2950.jpg

PLUM CRAZY!

I took it as an omen and bought the can. I'll test and see what the color looks like.

So, my thought is to just paint a portion of the big white band in the middle of the 3T bars that will show through the stem faceplate. Or should I strip that and just do the purple paint. I kinda think that 3T is OK with whatever the white material is...maybe I should do as little to that as possible?

Thoughts?

khatfull
03-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Well, I masked and painted the center white band with the paint I got at the hobby shop yesterday. Left the bars in a 150 degree over for a few hours yesterday and here's what I ended up with:

http://home.comcast.net/~khatfull/images/qelite/stemcolor.jpg

The color is a really close match for what you see when you look at the frameset from the side.

Keep it or just black out the bars totally?

ultraman6970
03-11-2012, 03:19 PM
What about glitter in that color??? martha Stuart products, they have glitter in almost every color, mix it with hobby clear coat and paint it in the letters, will look SICK!!!

khatfull
03-11-2012, 03:23 PM
What about glitter in that color??? martha Stuart products, they have glitter in almost every color, mix it with hobby clear coat and paint it in the letters, will look SICK!!!

It does have a flake in it...little harder to see because the surface is textured obviously.

khatfull
03-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Acutally, it was a fun exercise but I just removed the purple and all the white. With the thickness of the paint the clamping seemed just a bit "mushy". It looks really nice all black too.

Thanks all for the input.

ultraman6970
03-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Can see it tho, maybe u need some clear over it but looks neat :)

It does have a flake in it...little harder to see because the surface is textured obviously.

eippo1
03-11-2012, 08:09 PM
Ah too bad that it was mushy because it looked pretty good.

khatfull
03-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Ah too bad that it was mushy because it looked pretty good.

Yea, I agree. However, what I thought of doing is painting a piece of very thin mylar just big enough to go under the 3T logo on the faceplate and see how that works.

Also, now that I've removed the stock white band maybe the paint would no longer make it too think? Maybe directly paint a masked circle just big enough to show through the 3T logo?

In any event, the combo was too thick and removing the purple mucked the white so I took it all off.

Thanks for the kind words.