PDA

View Full Version : paceline forum award

Fixed
03-09-2012, 01:32 PM
i came up with another one of my bright ideas :rolleyes:
we have builders bike photo's submitted,and the forum votes on a winner
we could have it once a month on something like ..
cheers :beer:

pitcrew
03-09-2012, 01:33 PM

I like it!

And a lucky forumite wins a custom frame from the builder!!!! ;) ;) :D

jr59
03-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Fixed, we really do need to get you healed up, and back riding.

Your ideas are to thoughtful.

Dave Wages
03-09-2012, 02:59 PM

If it's all the same, I'd prefer if we didn't do this, and here's why. As anyone who follows this forum or any of the many others with a bent toward handbuilt bikes will know, the awards at NAHBS and other shows are incredibly controversial. I can't really complain, I've been lucky(?) enough to win a few, but it does introduce a whole slew of potential issues to the forum.

It might be easy for a kind of "groupthink" to take over when you can see how the voting is going on any given day, and it's human nature to want to go with a winner, maybe better that we all judge the bikes for ourselves and if someone likes a particular bike, make a comment and give that builder an "attaboy". This is pretty much what's happening now, and I don't see any problems.

Secondly, there's going to be folks who don't agree with said voting, and then the level of discourse can go down to the lowest common denominator really quick. Let's give the moderators a break and not go down that road.

Finally, there's the problem that I think has happened at NAHBS, if a guy has won a particular category before, does that exclude him for the next few months (or years in the case of NAHBS), or do you reward the most skilled consistently? I've been going to the Cirque du Cyclisme the last few years, and Peter Weigle pretty much wins best rando bike every year, and rightly so, his work is beyond reproach. Either way, the award can either end up being the same guy over and over again, or, a few good bikes followed by some less deserving ones to spread the award around. Doesn't seem to further the craft that much either way.

That's my two cents, feel free to flame away.

Cheers,
Dave

Earl Gray
03-09-2012, 03:05 PM
If it's all the same, I'd prefer if we didn't do this, and here's why. As anyone who follows this forum or any of the many others with a bent toward handbuilt bikes will know, the awards at NAHBS and other shows are incredibly controversial. I can't really complain, I've been lucky(?) enough to win a few, but it does introduce a whole slew of potential issues to the forum.

It might be easy for a kind of "groupthink" to take over when you can see how the voting is going on any given day, and it's human nature to want to go with a winner, maybe better that we all judge the bikes for ourselves and if someone likes a particular bike, make a comment and give that builder an "attaboy". This is pretty much what's happening now, and I don't see any problems.

Secondly, there's going to be folks who don't agree with said voting, and then the level of discourse can go down to the lowest common denominator really quick. Let's give the moderators a break and not go down that road.

Finally, there's the problem that I think has happened at NAHBS, if a guy has won a particular category before, does that exclude him for the next few months (or years in the case of NAHBS), or do you reward the most skilled consistently? I've been going to the Cirque du Cyclisme the last few years, and Peter Weigle pretty much wins best rando bike every year, and rightly so, his work is beyond reproach. Either way, the award can either end up being the same guy over and over again, or, a few good bikes followed by some less deserving ones to spread the award around. Doesn't seem to further the craft that much either way.

Cheers,
Dave

+1

I vote for Dave Wages! :hello:

We don't need to know who you must want to eat lunch with, have a beer with or take a ride with.

jmoore
03-09-2012, 03:06 PM
this.

If it's all the same, I'd prefer if we didn't do this, and here's why.

Cheers,
Dave

Fixed
03-09-2012, 03:10 PM
please don't take anything i say seriously

Dave Wages
03-09-2012, 03:13 PM
please don't take anything i say seriously

Honestly, my first thought when I saw you post was to get a pic of my newest bike posted, so I'm just as guilty as anyone of wanting the attention, it just seems like this would make the forum less fun in the long run, (at least for me).

It's all good! :beer:

Ahneida Ride
03-09-2012, 03:43 PM
I agree with Dave ....

How about a bike of the day ..... or a "daily distraction" like Pez ?

Ti Designs
03-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Secondly, there's going to be folks who don't agree with said voting

When we want your opinion we'll give it to you...

jimcav
03-09-2012, 04:34 PM

I think it will be determined more by the skill and quality of the photo than the bike

Nothing wrong with a a podium girls type of thread where folks submit their favorite bike pics--which is about good pictures

Earl Gray
03-09-2012, 05:38 PM
.... podium girls type of thread ...

Now we are talking!

FlashUNC
03-09-2012, 06:03 PM
How about a poll for favorite injury thread of the month?

We've been dropping like flies.

54ny77
03-09-2012, 06:05 PM
i got yer award winning bike right here.

http://www.dailybits.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/StreetFlyer2-510x459.jpg

http://www.dailybits.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/StreetFlyer4-510x448.jpg

Fixed
03-09-2012, 06:16 PM

mvrider
03-09-2012, 06:28 PM
If it's all the same, I'd prefer if we didn't do this, and here's why.

Thank you, Dave, for your insight and wisdom. Sometimes we are so awed by the craft, we forget the larger implications of "contests".

Polyglot
03-09-2012, 07:07 PM
I know of a few vintage bike forums that run a bike of the month poll and they all work reasonably well. They aren't much more than a beauty contest however as most of those voting don't have much knowledge about any of the bikes that they are looking at and there is a certain degree of cronyism involved. The one that I feel is best run is teh one on the German forum sponsored by tour magazine

http://forum.tour-magazin.de/forumdisplay.php?34-Klassiker

There any forum member can enter one of their bikes in the first half of the month. In the second half of the month the forum members choose their top three on 3 pts, 2 pts and 1 pt basis. At the end the highest scoring bike wins for the month. The winner then "runs" the subsequent month and it is generally accepted that the winner should award some little prize to the next month's winner.

rounder
03-09-2012, 10:06 PM
I like the idea. Winner gets an "attaboy" for what ever that is worth. We can all afford that. Plus, the winner knows that he won recognition and did somthing good.

Louis
03-09-2012, 10:14 PM
If it's all the same, I'd prefer if we didn't do this,

+1 Unless the first winner pays me a small bribe, in which case I'm all for it.

Seriously, I think this would be a bad idea, for a number of reasons, some of which have been mentioned above.

No need for beauty contests on the forum. (as I primp and preen)

gdw
03-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Another vote against awards. Dave nailed it.

54ny77
03-09-2012, 11:40 PM
http://shrey27.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/nice-bike.jpg

Doug Fattic
03-10-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm so with Dave on this one. This would create way to many problems. As a builder I would hate it because I don't think the results – if the winner was chosen by the most number of popular votes – would be fair. When there is a winner that means there are going to be losers and what does that imply? It means being not as good at how you make your living. This could effect our income. And many judges would not have adequate qualifications. Some might know what they are looking for but others might just like the green one better than the other colors. And what standards for judging would be applied? And how could whatever those qualities are be judged adequately through pictures? So that would necessitate the cost of getting pro pictures to try and compete. And i'm just getting started with objections. In early NAHBSs, the judging was done by popular vote of exhibitors and often the voters would be the wives or other family members instead of the maker because he had to man his booth. It lead to choices that weren't really the best and sometimes a win would be by only one more vote. Every builder who wasn't a winner would be so out of here. If the idea was suggested that we post pictures of our spouses and children and vote on which ones we thought were the best, I'd be against that idea too. Some forum members might not realize how much identity we have with the products we make.

gemship
03-10-2012, 12:59 AM
I think it will be determined more by the skill and quality of the photo than the bike

Nothing wrong with a a podium girls type of thread where folks submit their favorite bike pics--which is about good pictures

We could have a vote of the favorite bike photo, this seems reasonable as it implies more best photography of a member's bike image rather than the bike itself.

Ginger
03-10-2012, 01:36 AM
While I understand the thought, I'm with others on not having an actual competition on builder's bikes.

If you think about it, this happens on a rotating basis on any forum that allows photos of bikes to be posted. And anyone can post the photos. Some bikes get a few "I like your bike" replies, others get many for various reasons.
The plusses are: No one has to look after the competition, there are no winners, and there are no prizes, and no one is terribly disappointed. It's just the natural progression of any thread.
And, while some bike picture threads devolve into socio-political discussions and wind up 11 pages long...in general the natural rotation allows bikes to appear and be revisited for some time...I mean, if a someone posted a photo of their bike and it didn't win, they might take the photos down, and we wouldn't want to see (or rather not see) that!

Nothing wrong with a a podium girls type of thread

Really? Is that a pair of PEZ socks in your pocket or are you happy to see me? Podium girl threads are only ok if people take the photos themselves and don't repost photos from other people's photo streams.

Although a weekly or monthly "pictures from the bike ride" photo comp would be more fitting for the forum. That would put the photos into (generally) a certain level of equipment, a fairly cohesive environment, and would be from the heart as it were... and it would let people see what other parts of the country look like.

SPOKE
03-10-2012, 08:38 AM
A motorcycle forum that I participate on does this monthly.
I kind of like it. All submissions includ a few pics and a short writeup of the modifications done and misc aftermarket parts added.
Simply submit this info during the last week of the month. Voting begins at the beginning of the next month for a week or so. Winner is posted on the forum header the following month.
Strictly popular vote.

Another way to select the BOM is have a randomly selected group of 3 pro builders and 3 other forum members decide the outcome.

William
03-10-2012, 08:47 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3642/3469041545_db0c405454.jpg

rwsaunders
03-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Puncture or mechanical of the month?

Brian Smith
03-10-2012, 09:21 AM
How about awards for message performance?
Best thread brought back on topic, Best contribution of original content, Best handling of negative posting, Best moderation on a Friday?

I'd say that anything that encourages the participation of Dave Wages and Doug Fattic is probably getting the lion's share of what Fixed (and probably a lot of others) are after on an internet forum. Their responses are good indications in this thread.

I'd say it reflects well on what Don Walker and the builders are bringing to the table(s) that online folks are clamoring for more, but an internet forum isn't a show, and awards aren't instigation for a show, nor really a good incentive for builders.

A lot of the gold on this forum is hidden in the archives uncelebrated, the lack of awards didn't stop it from being produced.

93legendti
03-10-2012, 09:28 AM
How about a builder spotlight every week or so? No awards. No votes. Just a thread on a builder and few pics of his/her work.

roguedog
03-10-2012, 09:43 AM
+1

Well said. I like our showcase area . Highlights builders work and let's the user judge. It facilitates the builder and customer relationship with no group judgement. Further, pictures and aesthetics are just one of the elements that makes a bike special. It's the ride and fit that truly make a bike special to me.

It might be interesting to have the weekly ride picture thread tho..

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3642/3469041545_db0c405454.jpg