PDA

View Full Version : Gluing FMB's - extra glue?

aoe
03-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Anyone glue FMB's recently? Got a couple sets of FMB PR 25 and 27's stretching. Before I glue them up, seems like the cloth base would soak up more glue and need an extra coat or two. Anyone? Oldpotatoe?

Kontact
03-08-2012, 12:28 PM
All tubulars have cloth on the back. How are these different?

I put two coats on tire and rim, and install when rim glue is fresh, every time.

mister
03-08-2012, 12:36 PM
fmb's have a nice basetape
they might've soaked up a little more glue than something like a conti or vittoria

i adjust how much glue i add on each tire based on what it looks like after the first coat, always a pretty thin first coat

also, with the fmb's i noticed it helped to stretch them for a bit on a clean rim after drying the basecoats

oldpotatoe
03-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Anyone glue FMB's recently? Got a couple sets of FMB PR 25 and 27's stretching. Before I glue them up, seems like the cloth base would soak up more glue and need an extra coat or two. Anyone? Oldpotatoe?

I use 3 coats of Panaracer. glue tire(thin with solvent brush), glue rim, glue tire, glue rim, glue tire..wait.....when the glue on tire isn't sticky to finger, glue rim, mount, center with a wee bit of air, let set for 24 hours. I just glued a set of FMBs on a Nemesis wheelset..what I did, have done for 27+ years.

Need to stretch all tubie tires, NO need to spend days and days gluing on a tubular tire, any tubular tire, including cross tubies.

aoe
03-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I use 3 coats of Panaracer. glue tire(thin with solvent brush), glue rim, glue tire, glue rim, glue tire..wait.....when the glue on tire isn't sticky to finger, glue rim, mount, center with a wee bit of air, let set for 24 hours. I just glued a set of FMBs on a Nemesis wheelset..what I did, have done for 27+ years.

Need to stretch all tubie tires, NO need to spend days and days gluing on a tubular tire, any tubular tire, including cross tubies.

Thanks very much, OP. These are going on Nemesis rims too. I usually only put one layer on the tire and 3-4 layers on the rim...but now I know. Those that borrow my wheels be warned.

I've switched and stuck with Panaracer...I think that was a result of reading one of your posts.

Cheers

yakstone
03-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Panaracer is the best! I listened to Old P. and made the switch and am glad I did.
The old sage knows that of which he speaks.

oldpotatoe
03-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Panaracer is the best! I listened to Old P. and made the switch and am glad I did.
The old sage knows that of which he speaks.

Grazie.