PDA

View Full Version : Bruce K's Sunflower Revolution report - No Meivici stuff

Bruce K
08-22-2005, 08:16 PM
OK;

The Meivici stuff will be in a separate thread.

This is purely to fill you guys in on a great event.

I flew into Cincinnati on Friday. Arriving around noon, I realized that it was too early to check into the hotel so I headed over to Oakley Cycles. There I ran into Kathy Krumme who was running around filling in last minute details. She introduced me to Pablo and Matt her two key wrench guys. I asked Pablo to check my wheels before I took the bike back to the hotel to assemble just to make sure Delta AIrlines hadn't tweaked them. The next thing I know, the guys are assembling my bike, and not allowing me to help at all.

While all this is going on, UPS arrives with a box from Serotta. This was my first look at the Meivici (pictures on the other thread). I got a real close look as Pablo assembled Ben's bike.

Then it was off to the hotel, chsck in, and get changed for the SIlent Auction and VIP reception. I met Connie Carpenter in the lobby while checking in, and she is just the nicest lady you would ever want to meet.

The reception included Davis, Connie, Ben Serotta, Phil Ligget and his wife, many local dignitaries, local supporters of the Davis Phinney Foundation, and doctors from the clininc.

The dinner was great and the auction seemed to do well. They sold a Maglia Rosa from this year's Giro, autographed by the whole Disco team and a Disco jerseyt autographed by the whole Giro team. There was artwork, a Phinney-Carpenter Bike Camp trip to Italy, and they even sold a Fierte steel with 105 component for over $3,000!

Phil Liggett is a wonderful person to chat with. He is gracious, polite, and very accomodating. He is a story teller of epic proportion and very witty.

Saturday was a big day at Oakley Cyles. Kathy and her crew hosted Sunflower registration, a big sale, and a promo by Frankie Andreau for the new Cambriatta cycling data aquisition system. The event was capped off by a 30 mile group rideat 2:00PM. Everyone was in attendance along with around 50 "civilians". Frankie had the lead for most of the ride, though he did cycle through the group chatting with folks. Davis rode, as did Ben, and Phil on his Bike Friday. He still has the legs as he rode near the front the whole time. I did get a chance to ride with Davis for a couple of minutes as well as Phil. There is nothing like realizing you are in a pace line with Frankie Andreau, Phil Liggett, Davis Phinney, and Wayne Stetna. Now who doesn't belong here (could it be ME)? It was VERY HOT, almost 96 degrees, but a shower/downpour late in the ride cooled things off.

Sunday dawned as a beautiful day. Cooler and drier. About 400 cyclists took the line in Loveland (?) and after Davis and his family arrived, we were off for 63 miles of fun through the hills and fields of Ohio. It was a well marked, well supported, beautiful ride. Davis rode the wheels off all but about 8 other riders. I met up with several different groups along the way and finished with a decent average.

The post ride party was great. Davis, Phil, and Leonard Zinn were all signing autographs, there was good food, and music.

Kathy and David from Oakley cycles, along with all their volunteer help should be commened for an outstanding weekend.

I managed to meet Spinsistah and her SO, Dehooptah and his family (his 14 year old son did the Saturday ride), and Spiderman (in the hotel lobby on his way out). I really hope that more of you get a chance to attend this event next year and can also help support the DPF.

I will be back for sure.

BK

Smiley
08-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks Bruce

SO WHAT ABOUT THE BIKE

Bruce K
08-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Smiley,

As soon as I can reformat my pictures to a size the forum will allow I will get to the bike. Working on it now.

It IS pretty cool. The lugwork is nicer than any other carbon bike I can think of.

BK