PDA

View Full Version : It's not the pain, it's the indignity of it all!

dnovo
08-22-2005, 06:57 PM
So, I have been busier than the only whore in an 1890s Yukon mining town on a Saturday night for more than a year now (but my wife says hard work is good for the soul -- I love her, but she is full of it!) and either I have time to ride in the morning and then shower, shave (I am a gorilla in a suit otherwise) and head for the office, or I can post. I decided to take the former over posting much for a while.

Anyhow, I was off riding for a while when this (*&^%*@#* kid training for the Pleasant Prairie Tri plowed into me one slightly foggy morning when he forgot that looking ahead of him churning down the street faster than this nearly 58 year old coot could manage when WHAM. Next thing I know, there's a paramedic bending over me to stop the bleeding from my side and back and pick out the gravel from the side of the road where I landed where when I hear the kid telling the cop (he didn't need the paramedics for his skinned knee):

"God, I'm real sorry. I just had my head down, and when I looked up and saw that old dude with the beard, it was too late to stop."

"Old Dude?" Okay, it wasn't the pain, and I only needed a few stitches and the bike was fine (one of my Nagasawa's -- thankfully the only thing bent on that was a brake lever or e-Riche or DBRK would have made sure I was dead) it was the friggin' indignity of it all. Why wouldn't the cop let me shoot the kid? I mean, isn't having some 20 year old worried that he had finished off someone cycling over to the geriatric ward a capital offense? I ask you now, other elderly cyclists (and that means you Sandy, et al) shouldn't we have one free shot at preserving our dignity?

My wife says I should learn to deal with it. I say that I have earned the right to be a crabby old fart. Votes please.

Dave N. (aka, dnovo, aka, the "Old Dude")

znfdl
08-22-2005, 07:00 PM
you should be allowed to be crabby, have a nice glass of wine or two or three and then relax.....

saab2000
08-22-2005, 07:08 PM
I vote for crabby. That dude owes you an apology.

Smiley
08-22-2005, 07:08 PM
Glad your oK and welcome back Novo :banana:

dnovo
08-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Most of the impact was taken by my butt, and that has plenty of padding. Dave N .

csb
08-22-2005, 07:24 PM
Most of the impact was taken by my butt

kid got a look in the mirror did he?

Frank
08-22-2005, 07:38 PM
"Anyhow, I was off riding for a while when this (*&^%*@#* kid training for the Pleasant Prairie Tri plowed into me one slightly foggy morning..."

He looks like a racer...

Pic courtesy of:
http://www.rogerco.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/anew/collect2.htm

Kevin
08-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Dave,

I just grabbed my walker. I figure with a good tailwind I can make it to your place by 2008. Once I am there we can use Sandy's walking stick to beat the $hit out of that pimply faced kid.

Kevin

pale scotsman
08-22-2005, 07:46 PM
Geez Dave, I say you should have thrown a jab and busted his lip. ;)

Dr. Doofus
08-22-2005, 08:13 PM
yerralawyer

cantcha sue him

or

somethin?

mtflycaster
08-22-2005, 08:45 PM
I'd be PISSED if it happened to me!!

Crabby, at least.

TimD
08-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Whack 'em with the cane, like my grandma used to do :)

TimD

PS Feel better

BumbleBeeDave
08-22-2005, 09:53 PM
The kid has ADMITTED liabilitiy! . . . “Gee, I’m sorry.”

You know what to do. Sick ‘em! . . .

BBDave

dave thompson
08-23-2005, 01:02 AM
Dave: I vote for the "crabby old fart". I are one. And I can prove it! Although, being a lawyer, you are probably crabbier than I. And can prove it.

slowgoing
08-23-2005, 02:47 AM
Anyone over 30 is probably an “old dude” in his book. Just take solace from the fact that he’s probably still living at home mooching off the old folks.

Besides, calling yourself an "crabby old fart" is the kinda conceding that you are an "old dude."

The Spider
08-23-2005, 02:59 AM
bloody whipper-snapper!

Back in my day....

Too Tall
08-23-2005, 06:40 AM
Bag party.
Next time you see him be sure to tag him with a suitable new moniker. Something nice and subtle like "Yo Fuknuckle, sup?
Apologies to any tender eyes. I'll walk several old ladies across the street today to make up for that.

Kevan
08-23-2005, 06:51 AM
"yoots" today...

Wanna really bring him home Dave? Wanna show him who better understands the bicycle. Invite him to see your collection, talk bikes, talk about the kid's upcoming race, and that guy will likely be the better for it all.

My young-buck nephew told me this story a couple years ago about him riding hard alongside the reservoir near us, with his head down, big-shouldered road, and plowing smack-dab into the backside of a parked flivver. The vehicle was owned by fisherman, who was doing what he was doing, not too far from his car and witnessed the crash. My nephew felt horrible, bad enough he suffered the embarrassment of his own stupid actions, but then the owner of the vehicle comes running up to him, helping my nephew up, and too his bike, apologizing profusely for having parked his car on the shoulder there, seemingly to avoid having things escalate any further. Social differences being as they were between the two, my nephew had to shake off his pain, the embarrassment, and ensure this gentleman that he had done no wrong in his parking; that the fault was squarely his own, and with an apology, limped off down the road and back home.

Sandy
08-23-2005, 07:23 AM
Bag party.
Next time you see him be sure to tag him with a suitable new moniker. Something nice and subtle like "Yo Fuknuckle, sup?
Apologies to any tender eyes. I'll walk several old ladies across the street today to make up for that.

Before or after you take their pocketbooks?? :)

Stealing Serotta Sandy

Russell
08-23-2005, 08:00 AM
You should wait in the bushes for him and when he comes by shove your bike pump between his spokes, ala "Breaking Away."

MartyE
08-23-2005, 08:01 AM
Dave,

The best revenge is to follow him to the first uphill,
then drop him like a bad habit.

glad you're ok, and posting again.

Marty

flydhest
08-23-2005, 08:05 AM
Don't your Assos have the Depends chamois? You shoulda tossed that at him.

vandeda
08-23-2005, 09:51 AM
Geez ... ok, being in the under-30 club, I definitely say that the kid owed you an apology for not being able to watch where he was going. Accidents happen, and I understand this, but when someone doesn't even have the decency to admit they made an error and apologize for it, come on. It's called common courtesy at the very least.

However, I understand being crabby about it. But if you're just crabby about it and do nothing else, what have you gained? You're miserable, and possibly make others around you miserable. So either put the crabbiness to some productive means, or get over it and move on (easier said than done though).

But, I'm glad you weren't hurt too bad Dave. It could have been worse, but by good fortune it was not :)

Dan

vandeda
08-23-2005, 09:53 AM
"yoots" today...
Social differences being as they were between the two, my nephew had to shake off his pain, the embarrassment, and ensure this gentleman that he had done no wrong in his parking; that the fault was squarely his own, and with an apology, limp off down the road back home.

Good for you nephew Kevan!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish more people had this kind of attitude these days, but it seems like most people want to blame everyone else but themselves for their own mistakes. It's good to hear that some people take responsibility for their own mistakes.

Maybe your nephew can teach the kid who hit Dave a few lessons.
Dan

Fixed
08-23-2005, 10:01 AM
He 's one of those tri guys what do you expect.Most not all don't have any bike skills.Cheers

weisan
08-23-2005, 10:04 AM
My wife says I should learn to deal with it.
Dave N. (aka, dnovo, aka, the "Old Dude")
SHe's RiGhT.

Anyone who owns more bikes than the Sultan of Brunei, and the Sheik of Saudi Arabia, and Robin Williams, and the Pope, all put together, have long since given up his basic rights. Everything else in life is a privilege.

kong79
08-23-2005, 10:15 AM
I don't mean to put a damper on all this fun-lovin revenge talk, but you need to thank someone up above that it wasn't a car that rear-ended you in the fog. I've gotten a little more cautious in MY old age, and rarely venture out on the road if visibility is even remotely questionable. I have enough problems with the elderly farmers around here when it's a nice bright day and I'm wearing a yellow jersey.

Fixed
08-23-2005, 10:23 AM
It does sound like you have some nice bikes Bro.Thank god your still here to enjoy them.Cheers

Bruce H.
08-23-2005, 10:33 AM
from one old fart to another I just wanted you to know I am glad you are mending well. That aside, I have to tell you that your post was hilarious and commend you on your sense of humor. It's really the best way to handle the situation.
Bruce H.

BURCH
08-23-2005, 11:05 AM
That cyclist that hit you was very ignorant. He should not have made that statement and in fact he should have been apologetic over and over to you. That is just common courtesy.

You should have beat him with a wheel and showed him how gritty an "old dude" can be. Plus it would probable save some other cyclist one day by teaching him some respect for others...since he obviously has none.

You have every right to be mad. Glad that it was not worse for you or your bike.

BURCH

dbrk
08-23-2005, 11:50 AM

I had this pleasure the other day riding home from Rochester. The whippersnapper in question was talking about how my lugged steel bike "must be slow because it is so heavy...but hey."
"Yeah," I said, "it's just steel, nothing like your carbon Giant..."
"Who''s that Richard Sachs guy, the name on the downtube."
"Perhaps one of the five most sought-after steel bike builders in north America," I replied.
"Oh, never heard of him...hey you keep a pretty good pace"
"You mean, 'for an old guy' on a slow steel bike?"
"Yeah."
"Well, see ya'..."

Not often can I really drop some kid dressed like an alien, half and less my age, but I would have done anything that day to make the point.

Interesting, I thought of ol'DaveNovo a few minutes later though I hadn't heard from him in a while, he being a Sachs/Nagasawa rider with some frequency and a pal and all that, and I thought to myself, "Praise Chomp, may the Wunderbeaver keep us both in lugs..."

As Dave knows: patience. I plot my revenge _years_ in advance, no matter how old or slow I get. Sooner or later, it's karma and it comes around.

dbrk

Too Tall
08-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Well done ruberbandman, well done.
My version:
Stealth and cunning will
overcome youth and agility
enyfrickinday

Did you leave a card?

RichMc
08-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Dave,

glad you're ok, and posting again.

Marty

That is pretty good revenge providing that one is a pretty bad *ss 58 year old who can pound a twenty something on a hill. If one isn't a bad *ss then that twenty something will never even be aware that someone else was on the hill.

Personally, I like the bit about whupping them with a wheel --- provided that you use one of their wheels to whup them with.

MartyE
08-23-2005, 12:46 PM
That is pretty good revenge providing that one is a pretty bad *ss 58 year old who can pound a twenty something on a hill.

yeah, but this is a TRI-GUY!

csb
08-23-2005, 01:05 PM
kinda' along the lines of fly's suggestion:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.smug.com/gifs1/buttad.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.smug.com/13/target.html&h=422&w=273&sz=26&tbnid=DQaWZrvk5nkJ:&tbnh=122&tbnw=78&hl=en&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dass%2Benhancement%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3 Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8

William
08-23-2005, 01:35 PM
If you're havin' trouble with Tri-racer head
He's givin' you the blues
You wanna school him but not too dead
Here's what you gotta do -
Pick up the phone
I'm always home
Call me any time
Just dial
36 24 36 hey
I lead a life of crime

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
Dirty Deeds and they're Done Dirt Cheap

You got problems with your lead out man
You got a broken start
He's double dealin' with your team mates
That's when the teardrops start - fella
Pick up the phone
I'm here alone
Or make a social call
Come right in
We'll get him
We'll have ourselves a ball

If you got an opponent and you want him gone
But you ain't got the guts
He keeps droppin you night and day
Enough to drive you nuts -
Pick up the phone
Leave him alone
It's time you made a stand
For a fee
I'm happy to be
Your back door man

Concrete shoes, tube spooge, TNT
Done Dirt Cheap
Neckties, exploding tubulars, high voltage
Done Dirt Cheap

William :D ;)

Spinsistah
08-23-2005, 03:02 PM
If you're havin' trouble with Tri-racer head
He's givin' you the blues
You wanna school him but not too dead
Here's what you gotta do -
Pick up the phone
I'm always home
Call me any time
Just dial
36 24 36 hey
I lead a life of crime

You got problems with your lead out man
You got a broken start
He's double dealin' with your team mates
That's when the teardrops start - fella
Pick up the phone
I'm here alone
Or make a social call
Come right in
We'll get him
We'll have ourselves a ball

If you got an opponent and you want him gone
But you ain't got the guts
He keeps droppin you night and day
Enough to drive you nuts -
Pick up the phone
Leave him alone
It's time you made a stand
For a fee
I'm happy to be
Your back door man

Concrete shoes, tube spooge, TNT
Done Dirt Cheap
Neckties, exploding tubulars, high voltage
Done Dirt Cheap

William :D ;)

William, you are unique. This is so damn funny. :) Thanks.

dnovo
08-23-2005, 04:01 PM
Bless you one and all. It's good to be back. I am still up to my (very large) butt in work, and start a new trial in about a week, but I will try to stay up on the group and keep posting from time to time.

Thank God all of the other 'old farts' (and some of the not-so-old farts) are still here.

By the way, if you think I'm old, my father just retired (for the fifth time as I recall it) as a sitting judge of the Circuit Court here in Chicago at age 90. My brother and I (another lawyer, also with his own firm and partners) flipped a coin and I lost, so he is now 'of counsel' here. He retired on June 15th and at 5:50am on the 16th, as I was out on my bike finishing up the morning ride, my cell phone rings. It's Dad at the office door asking why there was nobody there to let him in to start work. (He is off for a few months to visit Aussieland and NewZ, says he is going to 'bring home a young chick' -- my mother passed away some years ago so that's okay, but I think he may not be kidding!)

So with luck, and if he is any guide, I should be here to make all of you miserable for some time in the future.

Dave N.

The Spider
08-24-2005, 04:38 AM
Dirty Deeds is very close to becoming the national anthem of Australia.

No matter which office I've worked in over the years as soon as AC/DC (akka daka) comes on...we're singing!

Nothing beats watching a very professionally attired 45 year old woman singing "giving the dog a bone"!

soulspinner
08-24-2005, 05:32 AM
Pistol whipped with a frame pump while the cop has a donut....

William
08-24-2005, 06:09 AM
Dirty Deeds is very close to becoming the national anthem of Australia.

No matter which office I've worked in over the years as soon as AC/DC (akka daka) comes on...we're singing!

Nothing beats watching a very professionally attired 45 year old woman singing "giving the dog a bone"!

AC/DC office parties? I'm coming down to visit you!!! :D

William (Bad, bad, bad William :no: )

Kevan
08-24-2005, 07:59 AM
I'm pretty sure I know what happens with items 1 and 3, but that 2nd one has me stymied.

Sorta sounds like Sandy's weapon of choice.