PDA

View Full Version : SS CX Frame Recommendations

Kylide
03-07-2012, 12:58 PM
I am looking to get started in cyclocross this year but I don't really know very much about CX frames. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good entry-level singlespeed frameset I could get started on this year. I have been eyeballing the Natureboy but have read a lot of mixed reviews with the general consensus being that the frame is extremely heavy but very functional. So if anyone has any advice or frames to recommend I would greatly appreciate it.

carlineng
03-07-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat. Want to get into CX, might be interested in single speed, but not sure since I've never done it before. I'm leaning towards getting a geared CX frame. It doesn't look too complicated to create a single speed conversion, and if I decide single speed isn't for me, I'll have the option to go geared pretty easily.

If you're really set on SSCX frames, I was briefly considering the Felt Breed, Bianchi San Jose, Raleigh Furley, and Kona Major One.

jpw
03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
My recommendation is don't.

Vinci
03-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Depending on how racy you want to get, you could go with a Surly Crosscheck and be able to run it geared OR singlespeed, since it has horizontal rear dropouts.

You can do the same with a cheap-o Origin8 CX700, but it's pretty heavy. It does support disc brakes, though, if you're into that.

spacemen3
03-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I like my Nature Boy. If weights a concern, you might still be able to find a Nature Boy Zona. Anyhow, I still prefer having gears on a cyclocross bike.

RacerJRP
03-07-2012, 04:35 PM
I am planning to build up a Nature Boy as a commuter for work and school. Very nice bike for the $. If you need something lighter go with an aluminum frameset obviously. Kona, Felt, Masi etc.

rkalams
03-07-2012, 09:41 PM
I just picked up a Salsa Chili Con Crosso for a great price brand new on eBay . I'm considering a conversion since it has replaceable vertical and horizontal dropouts. Mine is around 18lbs geared.

leftsidedrive
03-07-2012, 11:07 PM
I've had a Traitor Crusade for 2 years now, and I can't say one sorry thing about it. Columbus Tubes, Sexy Stays, Neutral Colors, Straight Leg fork, Hidden Fender Mounts, etc. etc. etc.

Kylide
03-07-2012, 11:29 PM
The weight of the Natureboy isn't a huge concern of mine as I haven't race SSCX before. I was checking out the Traitor Crusade and really like it. I think I may just do a build on that. I am undecided still though. I think my top 3 are the Traitor, All City, or the Felt. Thanks everyone for your input, if anyone has anymore pros or cons on these three framesets I would appreciate hearing them.

RacerJRP
03-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Traitor is a very high quality frameset. Nice tubeset and attention to details on that one. Does cost a little more than the NB but you'r paying for a nicer frameset. I had concidered that one as well but its too nice to lock up someplace.

temeyone
03-08-2012, 06:52 AM
I have a Kelly CX built up as a singlespeed with a White Industries ENO BB. OX Platinum is the jam if you can get it. Otherwise, Raleigh makes some pretty impressive Al SS frames, if you're really sure you want to go SS-specific

djg
03-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Sorry if this seems non-responsive, but is this bike supposed to serve another purpose or is it really for cross racing?

If it's the latter, and you really haven't raced cross at all, I'd suggest picking up something used that fits, with gears, that you can practice on, try a handful of races or a season, and see what you think. I think cross is great, and I've got nothing against single speed, but why not try out the main version of the sport before you invest in a niche bike for a niche event?

IF you love riding single speed, want the cross bike for a sort of all-rounder, and maybe for cross racing, which you mean to try . . . then I dunno.

Or if you just want to take the plunge, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that -- just raising the issue.

mtb_frk
03-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Geared bike with a eno hub works quite well for me.

the bottle ride
03-08-2012, 03:40 PM
My recommendation is don't.
What he said.

Kylide
03-09-2012, 12:06 PM
@djg I am building this up as a SS all-arounder with the intention of trying out racing this year. The reason why I am choosing single speed is because I don't know if I am going to like CX so I figured instead of building something geared up and dealing with the mess from that, I would go with something simple. Also I was thinking since I am only officially experienced in track racing it would be more of my thing staying SS for my first year while I gain more experience racing road this year.

nooneline
03-09-2012, 12:47 PM
I use a cheap steel Motobecane frame from bikesdirect as a SSCX bike. The reason is, I was cheaping out big time, and also wanted something for my main purpose of an everyday, all-weather lockup bike.

However if I were getting an SSCX bike to race on, it would be an alu frame with a carbon fork. It would be a framed for geared wheels, and I'd use a decent chain tensioner in order to get proper chain tension with vertical dropouts.

Why?

More options for good wheels. More options should you decide you like CX and want to race it geared. Lots of good frames out there. More options for resale if you decide you don't like it.

But, if you're sold on a a sscx frame, Raleigh's is probably one of the nicest alu frames/carbon fork setups out there. Maybe best looking, too.

Fixed
03-09-2012, 01:02 PM
FURLEY
cheers

keithreynolds
03-09-2012, 01:50 PM
As I'm sure you're aware some bikes will only have 120mm spacing; ex: the Specialized Tricross (SS).

I've tried the ENO on a geared cx bike and have always had problems using a 3/32 chain and an old ramped front ring while commuting.

My advice would be to pick something up cheap with gears to start. Trying to go SSCX straight off is <usually> more of an investment.

straightegde
03-09-2012, 04:42 PM
I've GOT to pick up a Furley this year. It's got everything I've wanted in a bike frame and I'd hate for Raleigh to put this out there because of all the "demand" and have it wither away. Maybe it'll be a future cult frame.

straightegde
03-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Should have read the thread....

illuminaught
03-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Chili con crosso... Light and dropouts can be swapped. The 1.5 lb difference on a steel setup vs aluminum and carbon makes a big difference... And it makes it a more future proof build... you could get it as light as anything with the right build... No so with steel...

Wheels!

Kylide
03-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks Illuminaught. Just checking out the Salsa. I really like it and the option for geared or SS is especially appealing. I know someone that may be able to get me a good deal on the Crusade, but I'm going to go test ride a Salsa within the next week. Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful advice.

dustyrider
03-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Traitor has done a few geared SS Crusades, I'm pretty sure their facebook page has an example of one.
They use a DMR mech hanger, or maybe something from one of the Transition MTN bikes, that's the sister company of Traitor.
Of course there won't be any cable guides, but you can switch back and forth if you want ....just some more food for thought.