PDA

View Full Version : Cycling App vs. Garmin Edge 705, poll question

vsefiream
03-07-2012, 08:19 AM
I am debating the purchase of a Garmin 705 and frankly the only thing holding me back right now is the price tag. So I was hoping to get some insight from those who have used one and possibly opinions. I have an I-phone 4S and there are a handfull of cycling apps like Strava available for it as well as handle bar mounts that fit the Otter box. So my dilema is should I spend the extra couple hundred dollars for the Garmin or purchase a mount and the pay version of Strava?
I am not looking for power output, I haven't been monitoring heart rate, and I do monitor cadence. I only rode 1200 miles last year but intend on doubling that this year. So I am more recreational with aspirations of racing again... someday maybe. I really like the GPS option and hear rate with the optional bundle for the Garmin. I know the I-phone can do the GPS function but not the heart rate without another app and not seamlessly either. I will probably continue to use my cateye for cadence and indoor trainner rides as it has a rear wheel pickup.
What I do like about the Garmin 705 is the portability between bikes minus the cadence option, unless I buy another cadence kit for the mtb.
So in all, what do you think, is the garmin worth it or am I getting close to the same functionality with the I-Phone. One last thing, does anybody know of a cadence option or remote heart rate monitor for an I-Phone???? That would make things a little better.

Thanks All

onekgguy
03-07-2012, 08:41 AM
I own both an Edge 305 and 705 and like them a lot. The customizable data fields on either unit are nice and the battery life you'll get from them vs your smartphone is so much better. Uploading to Garmin's site is also free. I've got all my rides stored there going back to 2006.

If you can swing the price I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Kevin g

Keith A
03-07-2012, 08:55 AM
I've been interested in giving Garmin a try too, but it looks like both the 305 and 705 have been discontinued (not that you can't still find them) and have been replaced with the Edge 500 and 800. I like the size of the Edge 500 better, but it doesn't have the mapping capability of the 800.

dekindy
03-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Do 3x your normal mileage this year and then think about an expensive computer next year.

phcollard
03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Honestly if you already have an iPhone 4S try Strava for a while. It's really good. And anyways you were planning to carry your phone on your rides eh? The GPS on the iPhone 4S is much improved compared to version 4 or 3GS and you may find you don't need a dedicated GPS after all. The main drawback of GPS iPhone apps is battery life, and of course no or little navigation. But if you intend to use it as a super bike computer - like me - that's plenty enough.

weiwentg
03-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Not worth it. And I have a 705.

jdhansen63
03-07-2012, 09:45 AM
I have a Garmin 405, and a 800 and really like them, but if your not monitoring cadence or HR and aren't doing double centuries, then I would stick with the iPhone. I got the 800 because the battery on the 405 and iPhone 3G always died rides longer than 100 miles. The 4s has better battery life, but I'm not sure I would trust it to last if I were doing 200-mi.

PaMtbRider
03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
I love my 705. I've tried a few different programs on my droid incredible but haven't been impressed by any yet. Battery life is also a deal breaker for me with the smart phone.

Alchemy Rider
03-07-2012, 03:31 PM
I bought a 705 about three years ago. The main reason for the 705 was the mapping feature. I had just moved to a new city. A year later I moved to a new country. The turn-by-turn directions were very helpful in both my new environments. I use the map less now but do still go to it whenever I am lost.

My current favorite feature of the 705 is the ability to upload ride data, including heart rate and cadence, to Garmin Connect, Ride With GPS, Strava etc.

Other things I like about the 705 are the battery life and that it is very water resistant. I haven't dropped the 705 into a pond but it has survived lots of rain and the occasional snow and hail.

I got an iPhone about two years ago. I have toyed with replacing the 705 with the iPhone and a suitable app. I haven't done it because:

1. I don't want to buy a waterproof mount for the iPhone
2. I think the stem-mounted 705 has a better chance of surviving a crash or fall that a stem-mounted iPhone does
3. The iPhone needs an ANT or similar dongle to capture heart rate and cadence

GPrince
03-08-2012, 11:28 PM
705 or 800 function flawlessly, waterproof, long battery life, and can be charged off a hub generator, external battery pack, good maps (free with opensource).

Why not get what works?

CaliFly
03-08-2012, 11:48 PM
My 705 has been pretty much bomb-proof for 3 years, and I'll probably use it until it dies. Plus I can upload all my rides to Strava!

The idea of mounting my phone on my bike frightens me...and keeping it in my pocket does absolutely no good to me during the ride.

vsefiream
03-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Thank you everyone for your input. I was wondering if I could be swayed into not spending the money on the Garmin and using the I-phone. The battery issue is probably my biggest concern. I have no quams about putting the phone on the bike, it's in the Otter defender. It would take a lot to damage the phone through that box, even if it is, Otter covers it. And as far as mileage I don't think that has any place in this argument, I know what I want, it's not my first time on a bike. I held a USCF license a few years back, it's just been a while. This surely will be one of those tools that helps me get back to that point even if it's cat 4/5.
Anyhow, I still want the Garmin 705. I saw a couple lots of them just pop up on Ebay with the complete bundle for only $299 refurbished with one year Garmin factory warranty and up to date maps. So I dug out the money guns and squeezed out a few rounds. I picked up the 705 bundle, extra mount and soft case for $342 shipped. Happy birthday to me.

Thanks guys

eweg
03-17-2012, 05:02 AM
I am on my 3rd garmin (705) in the last 7 years - thye just keep getting better. Only down side is needing to charge every ride or two - but your iphone will be worse.

woolly
03-17-2012, 07:13 AM
I used to have (er, "still have but never use") a Garmin 305. Liked it & used it & recommended it. Worked well for me.

Then iPhones got better, and I started using that on occasion. And then I got a Garmin 500. For me, this is a great combination - the Garmin 500 does a great job as a real-time cycling computer, and it captures the data you may want. For navigation & other capabilities, the iPhone is always there.

So, if you've already got an iPhone, I'd suggest skipping the bulky 705 & consider the Garmin 500. The quarter-turn mounts for the 500 are cheap & I've found them to be durable. The cadence sensors keep the data accurate when you lose satellite signal (which happens less than it does with my iPhone, but sometimes still happens), and they're not that expensive. I've got a few bikes with the sensor installed, & some not (funny how I don't miss it all that much when it's not there). The 500 charges fast, and the battery lasts a long time. And it's cheaper than a 705 (use some of the savings to buy a couple extra cadence sensors).

Good luck!