PDA

View Full Version : V brakes with travel agent

vqdriver
03-07-2012, 02:17 AM
Please post your experience using travel adapters with full sized v brakes and road levers. Brake feel? Modulation? Power? Judders?

Ideas on routing the rear brake housing?

Mud is not a factor.

fogrider
03-07-2012, 04:14 AM
I had it on for a few months but I didn't like the feel. no fork shudder. and putting the travel agent on was a pain. I have switched to a mini v in the front and canti in the rear.

Dave B
03-07-2012, 04:57 AM
I would echo these sentiments. I tried good full size v-brakes (xtr) and te travel agent. It wasn't great, but did work. The trueness of the wheels become an extra concern, however over a canto it was so much nicer.

The agents don't do all that much...that I could feel, but I am sure they worked? I then went to mini v's and loved them...a lot!

No agent, used them with campy 10 levers and they were great!

I say go that route. Mess around with different pads and find a superb set up.

Not sure why the unhappy face showed , but no unhappiness here.

sjbraun
03-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Works fine on the front of my tandem with Ultegra 9 era levers.

veloduffer
03-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Please post your experience using travel adapters with full sized v brakes and road levers. Brake feel? Modulation? Power? Judders?

Ideas on routing the rear brake housing?

Mud is not a factor.

Why not use mini-V's, like the Tektro/TRP, and avoid the Travel Agent? I use them with Campy Ergo and Shimano STI on my cross bikes.

Chance
03-07-2012, 08:02 AM
....cut...... I then went to mini v's and loved them...a lot!

No agent, used them with campy 10 levers and they were great!

I say go that route. Mess around with different pads and find a superb set up.
Hopefully the new Shimano compact V-Brakes will make messing around with different pads unnecessary since they are already intended for road use. And it’s doubtful Shimano would put them out there with cheap pads.

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/BR-R353_B.jpg

Agree that mini-Vs are a good and simpler choice as long as clearance is not needed for fenders or very fat tires.

pinkshogun
04-28-2012, 03:15 PM
i found that the cable housing hole in the Travel Agent was especially small. i had to source and very thin brake cable to properly fit.....and then the Travel Agents only increased brake pull marginaly...not worth it in the end

Sheldon4209
04-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Used them on tandems for years. Never had a problem although my LBS sets them up.

weaponsgrade
04-28-2012, 05:16 PM
I have 'em on my tandem. The brakes work so I guess the thing is doing its job. But, if there's a road compatible v-brake out there I'd get that.

cs1
04-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Why not use mini-V's, like the Tektro/TRP, and avoid the Travel Agent? I use them with Campy Ergo and Shimano STI on my cross bikes.

The TRP mini gets great reviews and is compatible with SRAM and Campy. The older 9.0 are designed for Shimano.

Earl Gray
04-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Worked great for me although I never tested their limits are steep down hills.

woolly
04-29-2012, 08:14 AM
You can find Tektro mini-V's online for not much more than the cost of Travel Agents. I liked these much better than MTB V's with the Travel Agents. Better feel, better rim/pad clearance, less finicky re-adjustment (my Avids w/ the Agent's had a hard time staying centered, a situation that was compounded by the tight pad/rim clearance - YMMV with different V's).

Paul MiniMoto's are supposed to be available very soon. I suspect they'll be priced in line with their other brake offerings ($115-$130'ish). I'm a fan of their products & overall quality - nice to see a higher-end option available here.

dogdriver
04-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I have travel agents on my S&S Traveler's Check. The cable comes off of the inner cam just about every time I put the bike in the bag. Big pain-- looking forward to swapping to the road lever-compatible brakes...